• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finished the game this friday. The ending of this game is shit, worst in the series by far.

It's a pity because the whole game is wonderful, but that ending... oh man, they did everything wrong

Absolutely agreed. The ending is a goddamn travesty. Doesn't diminish the 80+ hours of fun I had with the game, but it certainly is disappointing.

I just checked the Y5 completion percentage and was surprised to see that it's sitting at 50.9%. That's extremely really high for any game. BO3's completion percentage is 9.3, Dragon Quest Heroes is 13.7, MGSV is 19.5, The Witcher 3 is 24.1 and so on.

Me and my wife have been playing this game from before christmas. It's great, but it's taking a long time because she's a completionist in all things about restaurant and cuisine, while I'm always ready to learn the next komaki technique. This game is huge!
We just
left the mountains
and we are ready have fun in a city again.

I really hope there's a cruise mode at the end so you can revisit cities with each character. We wanted to push the story further but we still have plenty songs to sing, massages to have and hostess to charme (err... prostitutes to hire?). I'm embarased that I didn't even fished once.

Me and my wife have been playing this game from before christmas. It's great, but it's taking a long time because she's a completionist in all things about restaurant and cuisine, while I'm always ready to learn the next komaki technique. This game is huge!
We just
left the mountains
and we are ready have fun in a city again.

I really hope there's a cruise mode at the end so you can revisit cities with each character. We wanted to push the story further but we still have plenty songs to sing, massages to have and hostess to charme (err... prostitutes to hire?). I'm embarased that I didn't even fished once.

You get a premium adventure mode so you can revisit the cities and do anything you missed out on. Not sure you can enter the massage parlour in this game though, I can't seem to recall ever being able to go into it on the Japanese version either.

Heartfyre

Since I was having issues with my hard-drive not being able to complete the download of the game, I literally got another PS3 and I've been playing it over the last few days. With over 20 hours clocked, and having just started Part I Chapter IV, I'm astounded by how much there is to do with just one character, not to mention the rest. It was worth the hassle I had to go through to get it running.

Megauap

Since I was having issues with my hard-drive not being able to complete the download of the game, I literally got another PS3 and I've been playing it over the last few days. With over 20 hours clocked, and having just started Part I Chapter IV, I'm astounded by how much there is to do with just one character, not to mention the rest. It was worth the hassle I had to go through to get it running.

I think I will end up doing the same. My hard-drive couldn't complete the download so I had to use a program on my PC to download the files of the game and then transfer them to the PS3. It worked but the game was laggy, had black textures and a lot of popping :(

These taxi missions where you have to drive safely are pure crack - I love them! How many are there in total?

I just checked the Y5 completion percentage and was surprised to see that it's sitting at 50.9%. That's extremely really high for any game. BO3's completion percentage is 9.3, Dragon Quest Heroes is 13.7, MGSV is 19.5, The Witcher 3 is 24.1 and so on.

A (rather unfortunate) case of the hardcore fans buying the game only and nobody else I assume.

hamchan

HOORAY! That's 100% completion done for me. Now I just need to actually finish the last chapter, do the ultimate battles and then finish again on EX-Hard and the platinum will be mine.

Total Time to 100%: 126 hours 16 minutes
Total Money Spent: ¥21,597,048
Distance Travelled: 198.713 Km
Heat Actions Used: 1388
Worst Minigame: Fishing
Minigame that I ended up surprisingly loving: Koi-Koi
Minigame that needs more content: Taiko no Tatsujin
Easiest Minigame: Comedy Team

A (rather unfortunate) case of the hardcore fans buying the game only and nobody else I assume.

Nah, it takes into account Japan too. So the Japanese are just really dedicated to finishing the game I guess.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the game today, agree with some of the other posters above that despite the game being incredibly story heavy, the ending felt very sparse. Personally, I hate ambiguous endings in games, especially one's which take me 50+ hours to complete. If I'm putting this much time in the game, the least I expect is a hearty and 'complete' conclusion. Whether it's bittersweet or not is not the concern, it needs to be COMPLETE ..

That being said, absolutely amazing game. Easily the best in the Yakuza series by far. I spent 50+ hours in the game, that's more than I've spent in most RPG's I've played. This is factoring in that I never visited or did any of the Hostess bar quests. This is purely doing story, side quests and a bit of level grinding.

Overall, absolutely LOVED Shinada's character despite not having any interest in Baseball whatsoever. He has, in my opinion, the best conclusion for the characters too.
When Shinada starts tearing up thinking about not having anything to go back to, and then he gets a call from a familiar person and starts bawling like a kid, I actually teared up myself because that particular bit hit hard and I can related to something like that personally, really powerful stuff.

Nah, it takes into account Japan too. So the Japanese are just really dedicated to finishing the game I guess.

The localised version of the game has a different trophy list compared to the Japanese one doesn't it? So Japanese stats have no bearing on the completion rate.

Not as many as I'd like. The later taxi missions are pretty much all conversation-only.

Oh, well that sucks. The conversation ones are pretty drab tbh. You spend enough time watching the game rather than playing it as it is.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The localised version of the game has a different trophy list compared to the Japanese one doesn't it? So Japanese stats have no bearing on the completion rate.
same trophy list, which is why people who played the japanese release are unable to unlock trophies in the localized version.

Heartfyre

I think I will end up doing the same. My hard-drive couldn't complete the download so I had to use a program on my PC to download the files of the game and then transfer them to the PS3. It worked but the game was laggy, had black textures and a lot of popping :(

Yeah, I've had some issues with my old hard-drive before now, but this is the first time I couldn't play anything because of it. Yakuza 5 would always download to 25%, 5824MB, and then stop. Any game accessing the HDD would slow to a crawl while it tried to download. Even games running from the disc drive, such as the Kingdom Hearts ReMixes, would have the sound judder every few moments. It was simply more convenient for me to use my brother's old and now-unused launch PS3 instead, but in your case, it might be worth trying to get a new HDD. The problems will only get worse, I fear...and besides, Yakuza 5 is worth it.

How do you beat this? I can't get past the first one.

If you have no qualms about using a guide, just stare at this and press buttons as the line ends:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Games/RGG5/Minigames/MinigamesTsukkomiArtisan.htm

Finished the storyline pretty much on Jan 1st, I think it's GOTY for me in 2015 (possibly even 2016, but that might just be series bias). I kind of like 4 better but this is still really really good. I'll slowly go through for 100% completion. In summary:

- Shinada suuuuuucks, he's so unfun to play. Get Tanimura back in and give him a tiger drop too please.
- Looks like everyone gets their own version of Tiger Drop so they're all on a relatively similar playing field to Kiryu, which is awesome.
- They gave Saejima Tiger Drop, but didn't give his Amon counterpart anything except slow starting attacks. Seriously that guy got beat hardest out of all the Amons.
- Playing this game makes me ok with idol battles being in every other game. They're not right now, but I would welcome that shit.
- Shinada suuuuuuuuucks.

yea, i compared that to Y4, which is also insanely high, like 52% when i checked last time. average joe doesn't bite.

they should put more effort into their endings since people actually play their games to the end.

yea, i compared that to Y4, which is also insanely high, like 52% when i checked last time. average joe doesn't bite.

It's a really shocking figure because it's not like Yakuza games are short. Y5 is currently at a 40h completion time on How Long to Beat. Games of that length typically have a very low completion percentage. Like 20% or below. I think it says a lot about the ability of the series to engage people enough that they want to complete it at such a high rate.

Hasney

It's a really shocking figure because it's not like Yakuza games are short. Y5 is currently at a 40h completion time on How Long to Beat. Games of that length typically have a very low completion percentage. Like 20% or below. I think it says a lot about the ability of the series to engage people enough that they want to complete it at such a high rate.

Or it's still the mostly dedicated existing fanbase buying it, rather than people just buying to check it out.

oneida

just passed 20% at the 45 hour mark. still on the mountain, racking up hunting missions and fighting the mountain god.

The first two games I completed of 2016 were YAKUZA 5 and RYU GA GOTOKU: ISHIN!

Pretty happy so far. Moving onto KENZAN this evening.

Zafir

The taxi stuff is the reason I haven't finished Kiryu's segment yet. So good.

Has anyone beaten his optional taxi boss yet? Good god, it's like Bunta all over again.

Nah, the Taxi stuff is great.

It's like the Shenmue forklift. It's a mundane everyday job, but it really has an impact on a long time Yakuza player seeing Kiryu doing an average job to help the orphanage. It's almost like a fall from grace, but he's man enough to stick with it rather than being a big shot yakuza.

I didn't say all the taxi stuff was bad. Where you talk to random passengers, or do the races, they're fine and pretty fun. It's the normal taxi driving that just ain't that great.

I love the forklift driving in Shenmue, but the forklift jank was acceptable in the late 90s, early naughties. The jank in the normal Taxi missions isn't really acceptable for a 2012 game, just takes quite a lot of the fun out. The trailing one was just utter shit because of it, I'm thankful there only seemed to be one(ignoring the one where it recommends you to fail on purpose). The other ones the jank doesn't get in the way as much so they're okay, but they're a far shy of great.

Bio-Frost

This has been my favorite minigame in the series since Y3. I must have spent more time playing Koi-Koi than on many retail games i bought in the past. :)

I actually went and bought some hanafuda cards after Y3 came out to play Koi-Koi with my fiancee! Such a fun card game.

Rarius

I just beat Chapter 2... was almost that entire city section pointless? All it led to was a reveal of facts that you learned at the end of part 1 anyways. Almost all of Saejima's part was inconsequential, and would have happened without him anyways.

Hunting was rad as fuck tho.

I'm in the chapter where I'm playing as Haruka and I need this hell to end. I don't care about her story so far, especially when there's more intriguing stuff going on with the Tojo Clan. I don't mind them including this content, but I wish there was an option to just play or view an abridged section with her than go through playing as her for several days.

Pick the right response and respond right after he finishes talking. Pain in the ass. I'm guessing 'Easiest Minigame' was meant as a joke, damn thing is the only difficult part of the game.
It's true it's an hard minigame for someone who doesn't know japanese (like myself), but it's very doable once you learn the routine since the button presses are always the same, you just have to remember how the comedian's lines end and answer as fast as possible. By the way it's very easy to cheat through it, you just have to press "select" as soon as the comedian start his lines, so you can see in advance what button you'll have to press. Of course I only thought of that once I was already past the first two rounds, but it still made the third one very easy.

I had a far worse time with the pool puzzles, number 4 and number 8 were a real nightmare.

I'm also aiming for 100%, but right now I feel I'll hit a wall once I'll get to the golf course. They seem barely impossible to me since you have to get the maximum score to pass them. I know I can aim for the holes for 200 points per hit, but it doesn't sound easy at all

It's true it's an hard minigame for someone who doesn't know japanese (like myself), but it's very doable once you learn the routine since the button presses are always the same, you just have to remember how the comedian's lines end and answer as fast as possible. By the way it's very easy to cheat through it, you just have to press "select" as soon as the comedian start his lines, so you can see in advance what button you'll have to press. Of course I only thought of that once I was already past the first two rounds, but it still made the third one very easy.

I had a far worse time with the pool puzzles, number 4 and number 8 were a real nightmare.

I'm also aiming for 100%, but right now I feel I'll hit a wall once I'll get to the golf course. They seem barely impossible to me since you have to get the maximum score to pass them. I know I can aim for the holes for 200 points per hit, but it doesn't sound easy at all

Golf shouldn't be too bad if you get the right angle and shot power. I either used a wiki or the Japanese guide book to do the golf range. I'll try and dig up the best settings for that mini game and post them here when I get a chance. Its definitely one of those mini games that I wouldn't have been able to do without a guide that's for sure.

grimmiq

I loaded up my save right before the final level (
Everyone is standing around in New Serena
) where I went through just the main story and a few dance sidequests as Haruka..8.75% completion.(I didn't want to be spoiled so I burned through the main story and started a full clear after). For just the critical path, sub 10% seems perfectly normal for completion.

hamchan

And that's the platinum for me. Ex-hard wasn't very hard but more tedious as I held down R1+X for hours as I skipped large swathes of conversation.

Looking forward to Yakuza 0 this year.

oneida

I'm in the chapter where I'm playing as Haruka and I need this hell to end. I don't care about her story so far, especially when there's more intriguing stuff going on with the Tojo Clan. I don't mind them including this content, but I wish there was an option to just play or view an abridged section with her than go through playing as her for several days.
home movies is superb

8bit

Knows the Score

It's pretty short, but it's not over when it ends.

Nearly finished now, the arena section and rooftop battle at the arena were brutal. Doubly so when there is no sign of a save point, it's 0130 and you're supposed to be working in the morning.

Past

Why do people say that you need to play Yakuza 4 before 5? The main plot of Yakuza 4 with the whole police corruption doesn't even come to play in Yakuza 5. The main star of that game as far as the story goes, Tanimura, isn't even in Yakuza 5! Aside from Saejima and Akiyama, most of the cast that were introduced in Yakuza 4 aren't even present in 5.

Why do people say that you need to play Yakuza 4 before 5? The main plot of Yakuza 4 with the whole police corruption doesn't even come to play in Yakuza 5. The main star of that game as far as the story goes, Tanimura, isn't even in Yakuza 5! Aside from Saejima and Akiyama, most of the cast that were introduced in Yakuza 4 aren't even present in 5.

4 is a better starting point than 5, simply because 5 has no recap videos to bring a newcomer up to speed, and the opening scene hinges on you knowing who Kiryu and Daigo are.

oneida

half the not-new-to-5 cast is introduced in 4
4 has recap videos
Tanimura isn't the main character of 4! if anyone is, it's Saejima!

Rarius

Got to the first Idol section, holy shit why do the mean people (Director, instructors) make more sense than my producer, he's a colossal idiot. I don't think I've been on the flipside of who I'm supposed to like in any game before like this

Credo

After finishing the game, I'm slightly let down because of how it all played out. I felt like Shinada could have been taken out of the game completely and that part of the story could have been told another way. He did nothing for me. I enjoyed playing through some of Haruka's section, but it carried on a bit too long for me. This may be my least favorite game in the series so far, but I still had fun playing through the majority of it and don't regret my purchase at all.

hamchan

Saejima and Akiyama are pretty major characters that were introduced. It's better to go into 4 just not knowing Kiryu's backstory rather than going into 5 and not knowing Kiryu, Akiyama and Saejima's stories.

Top Bottom