• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

I personally loved the covers of 0 and Ishin. Actually I liked all the Japanese covers so far, but Kiwami is probably my least favourite of the bunch. Even though I'm a fan of her character - having Haruka dead center in the cover art makes sense from a story point of view but it just doesn't look that great in the above image. I'd have just gone either a Kiryu/Nishiki face off, or like the later games just have a cover featuring all the main characters like Ishin, 4, 5 etc. have.

cj_iwakura

Feel the heat! but yeah the NA cover of 3 is yuck!

Thankfully this can easily be rectified.

http://vgboxart.com/boxes/PS3/36621-yakuza-3-old-full.jpg

36621-yakuza-3-old-full.jpg

Sgblues

So it seems they went ahead and changed the trophy list for RGG 5 to English for Yakuza 5 so that means if you already had some or all of the trophies then they are already unlocked for you.

So it seems they went ahead and changed the trophy list for RGG 5 to English for Yakuza 5 so that means if you already had some or all of the trophies then they are already unlocked for you.

Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand that means I won't be able to go through and nab trophies again (something I really enjoy in Yakuza titles), on the other hand it means I don't have to do the damn "getting hit by the car" trophy, that was bizarrely tough to get!

Plus if I ever manage to 100% Yakuza 5, at least I won't have to do it for a second time.

Sgblues

Yeah I had platted Y5 twice already and would have done a third run but I'm content to just play it again.

And Kiwami is coming out soon in January so its not a long wait for it, if they announce Zero being localized at PSX then I'll do 2nd plat run for it when it releases.

You platted 5 twice? Damn, I couldn't even manage it once! It was the batting centre stuff that did my head in eventually. I loved Shinada's stuff and couldn't really go back to the old batting centre. I never even attempted Pool, I'm guessing I'd have been rubbish at that as well!
Which is hilarious as RGG0 made both of those so much easier to clear. I just need to do a legend run to plat that game, which I'm planning to do before I play Kiwami so I can have 0's ending lead directly into the Remake :)

Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand that means I won't be able to go through and nab trophies again (something I really enjoy in Yakuza titles), on the other hand it means I don't have to do the damn "getting hit by the car" trophy, that was bizarrely tough to get!

Plus if I ever manage to 100% Yakuza 5, at least I won't have to do it for a second time.

so wait, everything I've done for the Japanese version of Yakuza 5 (trophy-wise) will be carried over to the English release? That's a bit weird...also, the getting hit with the car trophy was like one of the first trophies I got...and that was by accident!

so wait, everything I've done for the Japanese version of Yakuza 5 (trophy-wise) will be carried over to the English release? That's a bit weird...also, the getting hit with the car trophy was like one of the first trophies I got...and that was by accident!

I somehow managed to go the entire game without getting the car trophy. It took me many attempts at purposely running out into the road for it to finally unlock! I think pretty much the only trophies on 5 I need now are the EX Hard playthrough and the 100% mini game mastery trophy (which I'll focus on when playing through in English).

Gacha-pin

Fill up Majima's LOVE gauge from the last night sega live streaming show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHIuNoKB-0

LOL@真島巡査. (^o^)ゞ「そこの桐生ちゃん、止まりなさい!」\(^o^)/

That's a standard way for PS3 games.

Sgblues

So there's a Majima "fighting trust" system, as you rank up, he would of course get more stronger and he can attack you when fighting other enemies, that's pretty cool also kinda scary if you you fighting some tough-ish enemies on low life and then a buffed up Majima just comes in and wrecks you, I'm liking that he's using all his styles for these fights, I'm also hoping in his actual boss battles he would be switching styles at will and mixing it up on you.

Ok so for Mesukingu(the new cat fighting minigame), after you pick your girl, you can then pick which moves you want for Rock, Paper, Scissors and the moves would have ratings behind them like circle is good, double circle is better and star might be the best rating similar to how the colors were in Zero(white to rainbow), I figure you'd still have to mash if you both call the same hand(eg: double rock) and who, has a better damage rating might win? I'm unsure but hoping it would be.

Ok so for Mesukingu(the new cat fighting minigame), after you pick your girl, you can then pick which moves you want for Rock, Paper, Scissors and the moves would have ratings behind them like circle is good, double circle is better and star might be the best rating similar to how the colors were in Zero(white to rainbow), I figure you'd still have to mash if you both call the same hand(eg: double rock) and who, has a better damage rating might win? I'm unsure but hoping it would be.

Well that at least sounds like there is something resembling strategy involved. I'm still skeptical though, prove me wrong Sega...

Tizoc

You'll excuse me for bringing this up, and I don't know about the rest of you but even if it only means 10 or even 100 people more people buying it because of PSX presence; I think it's a good idea to announce Y5's availability during PSX '15.
I am anxious as you people are to download and play the game but the more new Yakuza series fans there are the better IMO, THIS series deserves as much exposure as possible.
Nagoshi deserves it

Gacha-pin

It seems they are enjoying and excited for showing Mesuking (porting the original Mushiking to the cat fight as Mesuking). As I know nothing about Mushiking. It looks completely the same uninspired rock scissors paper mini game.

You'll excuse me for bringing this up, and I don't know about the rest of you but even if it only means 10 or even 100 people more people buying it because of PSX presence; I think it's a good idea to announce Y5's availability during PSX '15.
I am anxious as you people are to download and play the game but the more new Yakuza series fans there are the better IMO, THIS series deserves as much exposure as possible.
Nagoshi deserves it

Y4 time?

ar4757

So today I booted up the Yakuza Zero demo for maybe the third time (it's been a few months since I've messed around in it) and wow, if they showed it on stage at PSX, or any other event, and didn't immediately overshadow it with something like FFVIIR gameplay, I think it would do wonders for the franchise. It looks so modern and AAA, I feel people just don't know about it, and Sony should go for it.

And if that fails, then what more can they do, I'd accept the series as a lost cause in the west but I do think they should give it a shot on ps4, it's such a smooth, seamless experience. If Sleeping Dogs sold well enough as a new IP, surely Yakuza could make a comeback.

cj_iwakura

Wow, the meltdowns in that November thread... the thirst is real. (I'm not bumping that thread anymore, it's just mean at this point.)

Tizoc

Yakuza 0rigins has shipped over 500,000 copies in the far East Asian region (inc. Japan).

If only more kuso baka gaijins can appreciate the badassery of this series.

StereoVsn

Yakuza 0rigins has shipped over 500,000 copies in the far East Asian region (inc. Japan).

Yakuza 0 would be perfect to relaunch the series in the West as well with Kiwami coming.

Release 0 on PS4, follow up with Kiwami. Heck, rename the series from Yakuza to something else if needed.

IrishNinja

Yakuza 0 would be perfect to relaunch the series in the West as well with Kiwami coming.

Release 0 on PS4, follow up with Kiwami. Heck, rename the series from Yakuza to something else if needed.

first post makes me happy, 2nd one has my sword

Caj814

best case scenario at PSX:
"Yakuza fans! We know you've been waiting for 5 to release stateside ever since we announced it. Well I can finally say...that wait is over! The game is now available on PSN!"

worst case scenario at PSX:
"Yakuza fans! We know you've been waiting for 5 to release stateside ever since we announced it. I'm sorry but I have to say you'll need to wait a little bit longer."

EVERYONE PANIC SCENARIO:
Not a single word of Yakuza mentioned.

Had a strange urge to play a yakuza game (never played one before) so I noticed I had the 4th game through ps+, after the 2 days of downloading I finally got to play it, I feel dumb for not playing these games sooner. I reached the part where the big guy
breaks out of prison
. I stopped playing and bought 3 and the dumb zombie game, i'm playing through 3 now after watching the story recap of 1 and 2 and I'm so excited to play more. The storytelling in this game is top notch, I love the slow yet considered pacing and the characters are brilliantly unique. Kaz is a bad ass and a big softy.

Is there a release date for 5? Also what's the chances of an English language version of Zero?

Welcome to the
hostess
club!

Mid November!

Zero! Just kidding.

We have no idea, but it would be a great Christmas present to us all if they announce it at PSX. Don't hold your breath.

Mid November ! But that's almost a year away! ;)

Thanks for the info, i'll definitely pick it up whenever it goes on sale.

Mid November ! But that's almost a year away! ;)

Thanks for the info, i'll definitely pick it up whenever it goes on sale.

Note that if you pre-order Yakuza 5 you get a 15% discount (normally it will be $39.99, but right now it's $33.99). So if you do plan to get it, pre-ordering is probably the way to go.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Had a strange urge to play a yakuza game (never played one before) so I noticed I had the 4th game through ps+, after the 2 days of downloading I finally got to play it, I feel dumb for not playing these games sooner. I reached the part where the big guy
breaks out of prison
. I stopped playing and bought 3 and the dumb zombie game, i'm playing through 3 now after watching the story recap of 1 and 2 and I'm so excited to play more. The storytelling in this game is top notch, I love the slow yet considered pacing and the characters are brilliantly unique. Kaz is a bad ass and a big softy.

Is there a release date for 5? Also what's the chances of an English language version of Zero?

play 2 pls. it's the best game in the series. 3 is the worst.

breaks out of prison

Welcome to Tojo Clan.

Now come and join us as we wait for Y5 to release
and Zero, Kiwami and 6 to be announce :(

For people who imported, what does Yakuza 5 improve on/change from 4? Have shied away from reading too much about it given I figured it'd never show up.

Tizoc

If
IF AND ONLY IF
A PS4 Yakuza game is announced during PSX, please have the thread title feature PS4 on it, so the lowly PS4 peasants know they're getting another quality game in 2016~

For people who imported, what does Yakuza 5 improve on/change from 4? Have shied away from reading too much about it given I figured it'd never show up.

You get the following:

720p resolution. Technically all PS3 Yakuza games before 5 were sub HD resolutions so the games looked sightly blurry/muddy. Yakuza 5 looks cleaner/sharper thanks to the bump in resolution.

New/improved game engine - My main take away from the improved engine is the better animations here and there - like Kiryu climbing/decending stairs. Just little touches here and there that make the game look smoother.

Substantial Side Missions for all characters bar Akiyama - Not sure why Akiyama really misses out on this, but the other four characters all get pretty huge side missions that have them taking part in a unique activity:

Haruka has her Idol singing mini games which plays pretty much like one of Miku's Project Diva games (also made by Sega). Plus she has plenty of other mini games based around interviews, training etc. where she builds her reputation...

Kiryu has his taxi driving mini game. I've seen this referred to as Crazy Taxi esque in execution but I don't agree with that. Its one part Tokyo Bus Driver (except in a taxi) and one part Daytona Racing.
You have a few different taxi driving story missions that are really broken up into three categories - the first is conversing with your passengers. You don't control the taxi, but rather select responses from a menu. As with hostess interaction the idea is to pick the best response.
The second type is driving your passenger to a destination. You have to obey the rules of the road, don't speed. indicate on each turn, don't run anyone over etc. Its about as far from CT as possible.
The last of the three is one on one races on the highway, I personally feel that it feels Daytona ish thanks to its handling, basically you mod your car to improve its performance and your objective is to beat each of your enemies in a race. You can pull off badass power drifts to build up your heat gauge (for a speed boost) plus there are some further awesome heat moves to pull off on the road at certain points.

Shinida has a more advanced Baseball mini game. Basically its sorta like the batting cage in that you aim for home runs, but the controls are slightly more complex, you have a slo mo option to make things easier and as you progress you have certain home run missions outside of the batting center. It falls short of being a complete baseball sim, but I much prefer it to the old batting cage.

Seijima has my favourite of the side missions. He ends up in a small snowy mountain town and as part of his story he ends up taking part in a hunting mini game. Here you lay traps, snipe wildlife, hunt for supplies and also take part in other side stories to progress this side of Seijima's story. As part of this mode you'll be given a whole slew of mission objectives to complete as you continue throughout the game and its an excellent source of money. Its easily the most addictive and feature complete side story in my opinion, I probably spent a good 10+ hours at least on this mode alone completing all the objectives!

New Cities: 5 cities to explore this time, with Tokyo and Osaka (from Yakuza 0 and 2 returning) along with 3 brand new cities to explore. While these new cities aren't as big as Tokyo its still nice to have a change of scenery!

Virtua Fighter 2: Sega finally realised that its sitting on a treasure trove of arcade games, so we finally get a real arcade game in the Yakuza arcades! Virtua Fighter 2 in its entirety can be played in arcades, as can a cut down version of Namco's Taiko Drum Master.

Tons of new mini games: Too many for me to list, but there are tons of mini games included in this game, included new and old favourites. Its easily the biggest Yakuza game in terms of content!

There's probably much more that I'm forgetting, but this basically covers my favourite new inclusions to 5.

I'm going to be out a lot of the day, but I'll be checking constantly to see what's going on. My wife knows that if Y5 is announced today she won't see me for the rest of the weekend. Also she knows that if Y0 is announced that we are getting a PS4 for the household.

Top Bottom