• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Just finished Haruka/Akiyama in Yakuza 5, initially I was like "Let's get this chapter done with fast." and I didn't like it, now looking back I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Sgblues

Yeah Majima is the only good(stretching it a bit) part of the movie,
even if his eye patch is on the wrong side hehe.

cj_iwakura

Yeah Majima is the only good(stretching it a bit) part of the movie,
even if his eye patch is on the wrong side hehe.

Yeah, I glanced at the rest and it looks pretty bad. I still kind of want to watch it, though. WTF is up with Kiryu's look. Apart from the suit, he looks nothing like him.

The fashion designer was on point, though. Same with the set team.

Finally playing 5 is really making me want to go back and replay the whole series.......

But I'm thinking I might just go for Dead Souls when I'm done with 5. I got that back when it first came out but never got around to playing it for whatever reason.

Tizoc

Play Dead Souls on Easy or Normal, on hgiher difficulties it can be quite tedious and for whatever crazy reason they give you LESS time for QTEs @_@

Dead Souls is fine if you like Run n' Gun type games, and you get to play as Majima Goro so to me that's win-win.
I'd really like for the series to show up on Steam, particularly DS since it had performance issues on the PS3 namely slowdown.

jgminto

I started playing Yakuza 2 last week and this game is amazing so far. Ryuji is such an entertaining rival for Kazuma, I already like him more than Nishiki in the original. Sayama is great as well, I love the weird buddy cop relationship she has with Kazuma so far. The story pace has been continuously exciting so far and hasn't slowed down since the opening. This game has also been funnier than the first. When I accidentally stumbled into the
Manbaby Room
in Kamurocho, I couldn't stop laughing at how absurd it was. I can't wait to see where the game goes next.

cj_iwakura

I started playing Yakuza 2 last week and this game is amazing so far. Ryuji is such an entertaining rival for Kazuma, I already like him more than Nishiki in the original. Sayama is great as well, I love the weird buddy cop relationship she has with Kazuma so far. The story pace has been continuously exciting so far and hasn't slowed down since the opening. This game has also been funnier than the first. When I accidentally stumbled into the
Manbaby Room
in Kamurocho, I couldn't stop laughing at how absurd it was. I can't wait to see where the game goes next.

I knew what your spoiler would be about. :D Best sidequest.
Sadly I haven't seen much nearly as ridiculous yet.

Managing The Marietta has to be my favorite thing. Prepare to lose hours to that.

(It better still be open in Y5 after all that work I put in.)

kagamin

Ha, it caught me off guard when I was wandering around and I heard the Don Quijote music when I passed by the store :p

Tizoc

I really wish th dialog in cutscenes in the series were 'faster', it just feels like characters talk real slow in them @_@

The official version of the post #860 video (full length & better quality).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2yvfh8XTik

I was surprised that they extended the scene where Majima first appeared. Couple that with the "Majima Everywhere" system and its clear they really are going all out to include Majima far more in this game.

My only worry about the Majima stuff is that the video seemed to show that he appears quite frequently. I hope his appearances are few and far between in the full game else I might get sick of him appearing to often. Though I assume they only had him appear so frequently in the video to demonstrate the system.
I do love Majima has all his different fighting styles in the fights, should make things far more fun :)

Also, in the arcade, was I the only one hoping that Kiryu would just play the VF 4 (or is it 5?) arcade machine?
The Rock/Paper/Scissors mini game looks better at least in theory. My hopes are that you can at least collect the best possible cards to make things easier to complete the game. I also really hope they don't force you to clear several fights in a row like in 0.

Also, I hope they manage to fix up some of the small performance issues that 0 had - if they manage to fix the minimal frame rate drops and screen tearing in places I'll be very happy.

Sgblues

Yeah its VF4 Evolution in Yakuza 1, which is interesting but VF5 was out at the time at test locations in November and the game takes place in December and out in arcades in July 2006, and its shown in Yakuza 2.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah its VF4 Evolution in Yakuza 1, which is interesting but VF5 was out at the time at test locations in November and the game takes place in December and out in arcades in July 2006, and its shown in Yakuza 2.

I think it's more surprising that it's specifically VF4EVO when VF4FT was out at the time.

BTW this post got me all hype because I thought you were saying VF4EVO would be in the Y1 remake.

God that'd be so fucking awesome.

Gacha-pin

I was surprised that they extended the scene where Majima first appeared. Couple that with the "Majima Everywhere" system and its clear they really are going all out to include Majima far more in this game.

My only worry about the Majima stuff is that the video seemed to show that he appears quite frequently. I hope his appearances are few and far between in the full game else I might get sick of him appearing to often. Though I assume they only had him appear so frequently in the video to demonstrate the system.
I do love Majima has all his different fighting styles in the fights, should make things far more fun :)

Also, in the arcade, was I the only one hoping that Kiryu would just play the VF 4 (or is it 5?) arcade machine?
The Rock/Paper/Scissors mini game looks better at least in theory. My hopes are that you can at least collect the best possible cards to make things easier to complete the game. I also really hope they don't force you to clear several fights in a row like in 0.

Also, I hope they manage to fix up some of the small performance issues that 0 had - if they manage to fix the minimal frame rate drops and screen tearing in places I'll be very happy.
And Nagoshi says he wrote the script of that extended scene. At this stage of the series, I thought his name was just credited because he was a head of the studio but doing nothing on the actual game development ;p

I still can't connect that Majima who ran cabaret and cabacura in Sotenbori and helped people around him to the man in this scene...

And Nagoshi says he wrote the script of that extended scene. At this stage of the series, I thought his name was just credited because he was a head of the studio but doing nothing on the actual game development ;p

I still can't connect that Majima who ran cabaret and cabacura in Sotenbori and helped people around him to the man in this scene...

That's great news regarding the Majima scene. I wonder if any further scenes will be extended? Or if there are any brand new scenarios? I know they are adding some awesome looking Nishiki stuff plus with Majima's extended scene I gotta wonder just how much new stuff they are putting into this game. Its certainly going to be this gens Resident Evil REmake for me personally, one that I'll spend countless hours replaying even though I've played through the original Yakuza several times in recent years...

And regarding your Majima personality point, after playing through 0 yeah it still does seem a bit strange, but that just reminds me of how damn good his story arc was in 0. Its a pity that (huge Yakuza 5 spoilers)
he's lost the hunger of battle in 5, even in Seijima's intro he's tired of the fighting.
I'm actually far more interested to see what they do with Majima in 6 than what they do with Kiryu. As Majima is so damn popular, and as he gets so much new content in Kiwami they won't leave him out. Doubt Seijima or Akiyama are gone either. And I personally hope they bring Haruka back as well.

Backflip

I'm in Tokyo right now and there seems to be a Yakuza event taking place tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't understand Japanese and can't translate what the official website nor get the addresses where there events are taking place. Could someone please translate this:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=yakuza9nuq8.jpg

This screenshot comes from the official Yakuza website: http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/news/detail/1009.html

Could someone also tell me where Nagoshi is going to be. I don't want to show up and only get a presentation of Kiwami.

Thanks.

The Tokyo-based event will be at the Yamada Denki in Ikebukuro from 11am to 6pm on Saturday the 19th, but Nagoshi will not be at that one. He'll be at the event in Nagoya that day.

cj_iwakura

Three Yakuzas beaten(four if you count Dead Souls). I have 3 from a nearby used shop, but it's gonna wait. I will get to it eventually, though.

So far...

4 > 2 > 1 <>? DS (not that I dislike it, but easily the least good, it's kind of a depressing setting)

daydream

Banned
hello, yakuza people. i just started playing the first one on ps2 and i'm loving it (knew i would, no idea why i waited so long)

my question: is there anything missable in the game? i've tried looking for a good faq, the one on gamefaqs seems a bit strange and i don't know how thorough the ign one is

jgminto

hello, yakuza people. i just started playing the first one on ps2 and i'm loving it (knew i would, no idea why i waited so long)

my question: is there anything missable in the game? i've tried looking for a good faq, the one on gamefaqs seems a bit strange and i don't know how thorough the ign one is
I think some of the sidestories are missable but I wasn't attempting all of them when I played the first game. I think doing the sidestories you find yourself is a fine way to play the games though.

As mentioned above, side missions in the first couple of games can be missed/failed which can then lock you out of fighting the secret bosses. If your going for 100% completion then it'd be worth using a guide for the side missions (as they can be very strict in terms of fail conditions), or just do a playthrough to enjoy and experience the story, and do another playthrough later if you want to do all the side stories/secret boss.

Guide wise, I'm assuming the one on GameFAQS your looking at is the one by the user "ThePatrick". He seriously knows his stuff in this series, his guides for 1-3 & Kenzan! are all well worth using, they are the only ones I use when I do 100% runs.

daydream

Banned
alright, i'll give that faq another shot. the formatting and structure put me off, initially - like, you have to look up the side missions for a chapter in the 'missions' part of the faq - but it seems like he does pretty much include everything about the game

i barely have time to play through games as it is so playing a game twice is impossible. gonna go for 100% on my first run, wish me luck! (multiple save slots should help with this)

Another thing that I think should be noted is that later titles (Yakuza 3 and onward) give you the "Premium Adventure" mode which is designed exactly for doing sub stories and optional mini-games stuff so you won't have to worry about these things when you eventually get to those entries.

Sgblues

Another thing that I think should be noted is that later titles (Yakuza 3 and onward) give you the "Premium Adventure" mode which is designed exactly for doing sub stories and optional mini-games stuff so you won't have to worry about these things when you eventually get to those entries.

Actually premium adventure mode has been around since the first game but its called "Adventure review" in Y1 and Y2.

Actually premium adventure mode has been around since the first game but its called "Adventure review" in Y1 and Y2.

Really? Wow.

That just proves how long have it been since the last time I played Y1. I think I haven't played it since '06 when it originally came out on PS2.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Y4 is quite an improvement over Y3. The amount of content in Y4 is overwhelming,

I think the hostess game has become my nemesis. On a seperate note, some of the hostess' dialogue is hilarious.

My initial opinion about Tanimura has changed after
the russian roulette substory

Gacha-pin

kiwami gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZq7HHK5sc

That's great news regarding the Majima scene. I wonder if any further scenes will be extended? Or if there are any brand new scenarios? I know they are adding some awesome looking Nishiki stuff plus with Majima's extended scene I gotta wonder just how much new stuff they are putting into this game. Its certainly going to be this gens Resident Evil REmake for me personally, one that I'll spend countless hours replaying even though I've played through the original Yakuza several times in recent years...

And regarding your Majima personality point, after playing through 0 yeah it still does seem a bit strange, but that just reminds me of how damn good his story arc was in 0. Its a pity that (huge Yakuza 5 spoilers)
he's lost the hunger of battle in 5, even in Seijima's intro he's tired of the fighting.
I'm actually far more interested to see what they do with Majima in 6 than what they do with Kiryu. As Majima is so damn popular, and as he gets so much new content in Kiwami they won't leave him out. Doubt Seijima or Akiyama are gone either. And I personally hope they bring Haruka back as well.

In the above video, Kiryu and Nishiki are talking about Yumi's birthday presents. I don't think this scene is in the original.

kiwami gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZq7HHK5sc

In the above video, Kiryu and Nishiki are talking about Yumi's birthday presents. I don't think this scene is in the original.

Yeah, that birthday scene wasn't in the original game either. Bodes well for more content, though I wonder if the extended scenes will just focus on main characters like Nishiki and Majima, or whether we'll see lesser characters get more screen time as well? I'm quite glad to see from the previous story vid that
Kashiwagi
gets at least a little bit more screen time. Wouldn't mind seeing Date get more screen time, or another side story that fleshes his backstory out some more. I'm a big fan of the character, pity that he sorta faded into the background in later sequels :(

Another small Kiwami update - Dual Shockers showed off some screen shots of the hostess side of things (can't link to the article here as the site in question is banned on Gaf)

It looks like its going to play out like Yakuza 5's hostesses. Namely you fill up a bar rather than love hearts, and most likely you'll have to rank them up like Haruka/Majima.
Hopefully all the conversation options, dates etc. will remain as well as I really liked the way they handled the hostesses in 5 compared to earlier games. Its never been my favourite section of the game, but I felt 5 really streamlined that side of things a great deal.

Less than a month left now until the Japanese release... I can't wait! Hopefully I'll get stuck into it soon after release, though I'm currently working through 5 and I don't really want to rush myself...

Sgblues

I like that the
ring with Yumi's name on it that Kiryu picks up after Dojima's murder in the first game is now given more context in that it was a birthday present Kiryu had gotten for Yumi on the suggestion from Reina on what to get her birthday and how he, like a doofus had it taken from him, and having to chase down and fight the thief who stole it, then deal with the pawn shop owner who, kept raising the price to sell it back and Kiryu having to bum money from Shinji. Also interesting is that Reina's feelings are more expressed here in that she would want Nishiki to buy a gift like that for her birthday but he kinda downplays it and even ridicules Kiryu's ring over his necklace he got for Yumi.
I still think Zero could have built up
Kiryu and Yumi's relationship more in substories rather than her being a no show, Haruka resembles her mother so much now and it would have been nice to see Yumi exhibit the same traits and personality as her daughter and also have Kiryu act flustered with his feelings for her.

Yeah Kashiwagi getting more badass since Zero is cool since he was always a jobber and seen as rather "undependable" in the series also I like that Majima gets to show up in his idol clothes haha.

Ok, skipped through that above video. Didn't realise they'd added a whole new quest to Yumi's birthday scene, I thought it was just an extra cutscene.

And yeah, I do agree that they could have spent some time building
Yumi
up a bit more in 0, they did such a great job fleshing out the relationship between Kiryu and
Nishiki
that doing the same with other main supporting characters would have been a great way of giving the characters relationships even greater meaning in this game.

Man, I can only imagine how awesome a remake of 2 could be now...

Hey guys, earlier this year I made a huge video on every entry in the Yakuza series which got a bunch of new people into the series. I just did another video on the series with 0.

Your Next Favorite - Yakuza 0: The Promised Land

Hope you guys like it and I hope it has got you interested more in 0 now that it's being localized.

You managed to sum up the game perfectly, can't fault that video at all. I agree with all your points, down to
Kashiwagi
getting more screentime!

Tizoc

About that video, I take it the game goes like this?
2 Kiryu chapters>2 Majima chapters>2 Kiryu chapters>2 Majima chapters>Finale chapter?
Or does each character have their own scenario?

About that video, I take it the game goes like this?
2 Kiryu chapters>2 Majima chapters>2 Kiryu chapters>2 Majima chapters>Finale chapter?
Or does each character have their own scenario?

There's something akin to 16 chapters all told, with it going 2 Kiryu, 2 Majima...

The final chapter of course has you playing as both, in one insanely long chapter!

As HyperbitHero mentioned in the vid it really does make things flow fluidly throughout the game, as you never get bored of the action and as events happen in tandem (pretty much) you don't have the Yakuza 4/5 situation where you clear 4 chapters and then hit another slow tutorial chapter as a new character is introduced.

Arguably the front half of the game is slower going, but once you hit the second half of the game everything explodes and never slows down until the game ends.

You managed to sum up the game perfectly, can't fault that video at all. I agree with all your points, down to
Kashiwagi
getting more screentime!

The funniest part of 0 is
Kashiwagi pulling a Kashiwagi, his one difining action in the entire series where he showed up to save you with a bunch of dudes in a truck in Y1, then pulls the exact same move in Y0, meaning the time he did it in Y1 was actually just a return of his secret technique.

Sgblues

The funniest part of 0 is
Kashiwagi pulling a Kashiwagi, his one difining action in the entire series where she showed up to save you with a bunch of dudes in a truck in Y1, then pulls the exact same move in Y0, meaning the time he did it in Y1 was actually just a return of his secret technique.

Hehehe...
she...

Oh and about one of his defining actions
in Y1, he just disappears after he shows up with the trucks and guys, and they just leave Kazama, Haruka and Terada there with no explanation, and we don't see him till Y2, what a douche! And of course he does nothing in that game but get tied up with Daigo

Top Bottom