• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Hehehe...
she...

Oh and about one of his defining actions
in Y1, he just disappears after he shows up with the trucks and guys, and they just leave Kazama, Haruka and Terada there with no explanation, and we don't see him till Y2, what a douche! And of course he does nothing in that game but get tied up with Daigo

Typo, oops!

I've always seen him as the guy holding down the fort when everyone else is out kicking ass.

The funniest part of 0 is
Kashiwagi pulling a Kashiwagi, his one difining action in the entire series where he showed up to save you with a bunch of dudes in a truck in Y1, then pulls the exact same move in Y0, meaning the time he did it in Y1 was actually just a return of his secret technique.

Yeah, I absolutely loved that little nod to his appearance in Yakuza 1, made it all the more awesome when he showed up to help you out at the end of 0.

KrisB

Up to Kiryu's chapter in Y4. Really enjoying it and can't wait to jump into Y5 afterwards. It's a bit overwhelming with all these Yakuza games coming out but I'm not complaining :D

Tizoc

This just occured to me
What would u think are the content that'd be cut from the western release of yakuza 0?

This just occured to me
What would u think are the content that'd be cut from the western release of yakuza 0?

That clip videos of models you find around town. I'll be really surprise if that one makes it to the western release.

The underground catfight betting mini game might get cut as well, though I hope it doesn't.

That clip videos of models you find around town. I'll be really surprise if that one makes it to the western release.

The underground catfight betting mini game might get cut as well, though I hope it doesn't.

I wonder if that side mission where you help the kid buy that thing from a vending machine will make it in? It's such a cute innocent thing from a Japanese perspective, and a sketchy thing from an American perspective.

I wouldn't mind if that shitty Pizza LA visa/pizza mission / ad gets the axe. What an insulting, disgusting travesty of an abortion of a side quest that shit was. On multiple levels.

Tizoc

Think of the threads that will clutter GAF because of the catfight thing being left in though XP
I can get if the Models video get cut out due to license or whatever though

Also I made a thread for HyperBitHero's Y0 video
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163019

There was a thread for his earlier Yakuza series video so a new one for his new vid would be logical :3

I can't see why the girly clips would get cut, you see far more graphic acts of nudity in games these days, I laughed at how tame the vids were in comparison to say The Order 1886 which has full frontal male and female nudity.

As for cat fighting. I'm against cuts but screw that mini game, cut the damn thing. Its probably the only bad thing about the game (though the telephone date stuff isn't amazing either) and I wouldn't shed a single tear if it got axed. And just to clarify, its not the sexual content I'm against (its really no worse than Rumble Roses or Dead or Alive), its that the mini game is the most random bunch of crap I ever played. Having to clear it 10 times for a trophy was torture!

I wonder if that side mission where you help the kid buy that thing from a vending machine will make it in? It's such a cute innocent thing from a Japanese perspective, and a sketchy thing from an American perspective.

I wouldn't mind if that shitty Pizza LA visa/pizza mission / ad gets the axe. What an insulting, disgusting travesty of an abortion of a side quest that shit was. On multiple levels.
I've only played the Demo of Zero so I don't know what are these substories that you are talking about, but I hope they keep everything intact, even the ones that might not be too good. I wanna play the game the way developers intended it, bad and goods.
Think of the threads that will clutter GAF because of the catfight thing being left in though XP
I can get if the Models video get cut out due to license or whatever though

Also I made a thread for HyperBitHero's Y0 video
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163019

There was a thread for his earlier Yakuza series video so a new one for his new vid would be logical :3
Just saw it, nice work :) Actually after seeing the HBH's video on Yakuza 0 I think we should try to get the attention of stylish action fans like DMC, Bayo, MGR and so on. It's not on the same level of depth of the said series but still Yakuza 0 is pretty much an stylish action title at this point so I think most of the fans in the genre would be open to give it a try if we could expose the stylish gameplay of it to them.

I can't see why the girly clips would get cut, you see far more graphic acts of nudity in games these days, I laughed at how tame the vids were in comparison to say The Order 1886 which has full frontal male and female nudity.

As for cat fighting. I'm against cuts but screw that mini game, cut the damn thing. Its probably the only bad thing about the game (though the telephone date stuff isn't amazing either) and I wouldn't shed a single tear if it got axed. And just to clarify, its not the sexual content I'm against (its really no worse than Rumble Roses or Dead or Alive), its that the mini game is the most random bunch of crap I ever played. Having to clear it 10 times for a trophy was torture!
I think Sega might shy away from putting that videos in the game. I mean it's one thing to have pin-up photos as reward for one of your mini games that mostly only hardcore fans (with considerable skills, batting cages are difficult you know :p ) will see but collecting these videos around town is something that anyone can stumble upon and Sega might not feel confident in putting that in a western release.

I hope I'm wrong tho, cause as I said I like to play the game in the exact way that developers intended it, bad and good. The same goes for the betting mini game.

You raise a good point there, it'll be interesting to see what they do. Thankfully, worst case scenario is that it loses a couple of fairly uninteresting optional bits of the game. I'd rather they not cut anything as I'm against anything being cut from a game (especially one I happen to like a lot) but as long as its not as bad as when they butchered chunks of Yakuza 3 I'll be ok!

Erdrick

Halfway done installing Yakuza 5 on my PS3... Left it on all night to download the game and I'm super excited to finally play this. Been a huge fan ever since September 2006 when I bought the original on PS2. Bought every other English release on launch since. Would prefer a physical copy, but beggars can't be choosers and I'm still going to support this series as long as Sega gives me the opportunity.

I just got around to finishing 4 early this year and have slowly (very slowly) been going through Yakuza: Dead Souls, so I'll probably finish that first before starting 5. (I also might play Binary Domain after Dead Souls as a nice change of pace, plus I'd like to see what the Yakuza team does when not involved with their usual series.)

Anyway... The point is that I finally will have Yakuza 5 in english for me to play when I'm ready. I know nothing virtually about the game (But as I said, I'm well-versed on the previous games stories, even if I've forgotten some bits.) so it's all going to be fresh and new to me.

Do we know if Yakuza 0 on the PS4 will be a physical release in North America?

I'm not sure which I hated more, that or the slapped together pocket circuit drek.
Scratch that, cat fighting was way worse.

I'm not sure which I hated more, that or the slapped together pocket circuit drek.
Scratch that, cat fighting was way worse.

I loved the pocket circuit stuff. There is strategy to that, with the right parts you can at least (almost) guarantee your victory every time. Cat Fights are just entirely random and no fun at all.

Sgblues

Yeah I was pretty excited for cat fighting but it really made it a game of mashing and luck which made it not really fun, hopefully Mushiking is better.

Also pocket circuit has become one of my favs and glad its returning.

I heard that Ishin was actually supposed to be pretty short, I gave my copy to a friend and he said he beat it with most of the substories in about 30 hours. I'm sort of hoping that Kiwami has the same kind of length, seeing as it's looking a lot like a reskin and tweaking of 0's graphics and mechanics.

I'm about to hit 100ish hours in 0, having finished most of the substories, and I've been playing it on and off since March, so I'm hoping that Kiwami won't burn me out too much before 6.

I heard that Ishin was actually supposed to be pretty short, I gave my copy to a friend and he said he beat it with most of the substories in about 30 hours. I'm sort of hoping that Kiwami has the same kind of length, seeing as it's looking a lot like a reskin and tweaking of 0's graphics and mechanics.

I'm about to hit 100ish hours in 0, having finished most of the substories, and I've been playing it on and off since March, so I'm hoping that Kiwami won't burn me out too much before 6.

I never thought Ishin was short at all. It took me a very long time to beat but maybe that was because of how much fresh and original content there was in the game and how much I loved getting into random fights with people just to experiment with that was possible in the game.

Ishin is definitely shorter in my opinion if your doing the main stuff, the story chapters are fairly short in the beginning (as usual, late game chapters are longer, action filled spectacles).

However if your going for 100% stuff, there are a few bits that will definitely take a long time - maxing out friend gauges is a real slog, the CP list (complete various mundane tasks over and over) is an insane grind and don't even get me started on grinding for certain materials...

In that regard to 100% the game it probably took me around 150 hours to finish the game which is fairly in keeping to my other Yakuza playthroughs. I think 0 took me 130 hours to 100%, it has far more stuff to do, but the completion goals are easier to achieve and the CP list is much less of a grind.

I also wonder though how long Kiwami will be. The original Yakuza only takes me 20-30 hours to do everything in, but the amount of mini games from the rest of the series plus the CP list returning will bump up that time somewhat. Then there is the question of how much new content they will add, going by the videos shown so far there are new bits added throughout the game so I'd guess it'll probably take me at least twice as long to finish the game this time round depending on the mini game completion requirements.

Tizoc

I am playing Yakuza 0 demo from JP PSN
Suddenly a
cowboy
appears before Young Kiryu to further teach him how to kick ass.
Dis game gaf
Dis 1988 Japan setting game

Card Boy

Banned
Just finished Yakuza 2, God dam that ending! Surprise after surprise! Never knew who the true last boss was till the very end!

Card Boy

Banned
Look what just arrived.

Z0tbmMJ.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
super off topic but aren't you the dude who predicted Sony will be vaporaized and MS will win the console war? Your shit was hilarious bro. XD

Probably and i thought the PSTV would save the Vita....

That salty prediction was coming off the PSN Apocalypse and after countless Sony fuck ups and before Xbox One DRM gate.

New video here with Nagoshi and Ayana with guest Hashimoto

Just talking about the stuff shown already in previous videos, like Kiwami's story trailer preview and Ryu Ga Gotoku 6's debut trailer, new stuff talked about was the single of "Receive you Reborn" going on sale on the 13th of this month, the first tv commercial for Kiwami being shown and also auditions being held for RGG6.

If they are holding auditions at the end of the month I wonder how far along 6 is? Also, with the game out this year I'm guessing that they will be aiming for a December release, what with the graphics on 6 looking much better than previous games. Can't wait to give the demo of 6 a try, can't believe its only two weeks away for Kiwami. The wait for my copy to arrive from Japan is going to suck!

That said, I don't think I'll be able to blast through the rest of 5 in two weeks so I won't be in any immediate rush to start Kiwami.

Sgblues

Yeah its nice Kiwami is almost here, the wait wasn't long at all and can't wait to play it and try out the demo for RGG6, also yeah I'm figuring RGG6 might come out in December which is good since this year is stacked for games.

Yeah, the Kiryu walking stuff should be a shoe in for an install screen, or perhaps the title screen if they do it like 5?

I'll actually miss install screens. I mean, I love the fast installing on the PS4 but I really loved how badass those install screens were. Especially 5's Japanese physical release. So good!

So I decided to gather my YAKUZA/RGG collection together. FEEL THE HEAT! I really wanted to support the series. :) 2016 will welcome the inclusion of KIWAMI, RYU GA GOTOKU 6, and maybe, just maybe YAKUZA ZERO. Can't wait to get my hands on that RGG 6 demo though! So excited!!

I completed ISHIN last weekend, and yeah, I found it shorter than most other games in the series. My final time was around 22 hours. That said, I was pretty much sticking to the story and doing side missions if they were along the way. No doubt I missed out on some of the more intricate nuances of the game (like the dungeons) due to the language barrier, but I still really enjoyed it. While I greatly appreciate KHHSubs guide, I never once used it (besides understanding the story) so anyone on the fence about it should definitely not let the language barrier hold you back from playing this great game. I'm currently playing through KENZAN and am enjoying it quite a lot. It's story seems more simple and easier to follow, but to me what's interesting is the change and improvements that occurred from Kenzan to Yakuza 3. Also, the graphical fidelity between Kenzan and Yakuza 5 is pretty incredible. It's more basic and limited perhaps, but I'm still really enjoying it. Majima kinda looks like a Japanese Jack Sparrow!

I'd also like to share my Yakuza Tribute Video. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Q9Blq5zATHY

80wHdkE.jpg

Awesome collection. Mine is basically the same. I've got all the Euro releases so far including the steelbook edition of 4 and all the Japanese releases so far bar the 2nd game (I mainly only grabbed the first game on the PS2 as I wanted the Japanese dub, that was before the HD collection was released).

I also got a couple of cool extras for the second PSP game - the soundtrack on Vinyl and a cool pre order bonus DVD - Its an "animated" music video starring Majima. Its as awesome as it sounds. I've also got the official guide books for the series up to Yakuza 5. The books are really nicely done and were dead useful for quickly finishing the hostess quests on 1-3.

Awesome collection. Mine is basically the same. I've got all the Euro releases so far including the steelbook edition of 4 and all the Japanese releases so far bar the 2nd game (I mainly only grabbed the first game on the PS2 as I wanted the Japanese dub, that was before the HD collection was released).

I also got a couple of cool extras for the second PSP game - the soundtrack on Vinyl and a cool pre order bonus DVD - Its an "animated" music video starring Majima. Its as awesome as it sounds. I've also got the official guide books for the series up to Yakuza 5. The books are really nicely done and were dead useful for quickly finishing the hostess quests on 1-3.

Man, I'd love to own the soundtracks + guides. That bonus DVD sounds hysterical! Anything with Majima is gold.

Man, I'd love to own the soundtracks + guides. That bonus DVD sounds hysterical! Anything with Majima is gold.

The guides are beautiful. I really need to get an Ishin and Zero guide to go with the rest of my collection. The Majima DVD is hilarious, I forget the content exactly but it just has him fighting a bunch of Yakuza in various scenes with him singing as he fights. He mentions Kiryu a few times as well for whatever reason.

I really should get round to playing the second PSP game sometime. Due to my Yakuza replays, new releases etc. I've not actually got round to playing it just yet...

Which is the best ver. of RgG 1+2 HD? Wii U or PS3?

For me it was the PS3 version - Main point being that the game is region free. But having trophies was actually a cool addition for me as well (I love trophies in my Yakuza games).

Then again you can do off TV play with the Wii U gamepad which is ace, I assume when playing it on the big screen you get a map or perhaps item management?

And tiny issues such as the Wii U version having generic button prompts for heat/QTE's and I remember reading that maybe some small textures are oh so slightly more blurry on the Wii U version?

Really not much to separate them if you have Japanese consoles, you can't go wrong with either. But if you don't then the PS3 version being region free wins by default.

Tizoc

I'm sort of trying to trim down my PS3 playing this year, but since I'm keeping my PS3 for the forseeable future (Twisted Metal among a few other games), I may as well get the PS3 ver. down the line.

I'm not really a figure guy, but I saw this in an email from Play Asia today and figured I'd share for anyone who is. Pretty cool looking although I'm not sure about the face. A friend got me a Lucia figma that looks really good, so maybe this final product will look even better. Kind of tempted to get this regardless haha

figma-yakuza-kazuma-kiryu-448391.4.jpg

I know he's 3rd party, but that does not matter to me. Kazuma Kiryu, for all intents and purposes in my opinion, is a definitive PlayStation mascot.

Yakuza6face.gif

Tizoc

RYU
GA
GOTOKU
ISHIN
GET-O!

IT HAS A FRIGGIN' MANUAL
AN HONEST TO SHU COLORED MANUAL
PRAISE BASED NAGOSHI-DONO
NAGOSHIATION: SUCCESFUL

RYU
GA
GOTOKU
ISHIN
GET-O!

IT HAS A FRIGGIN' MANUAL
AN HONEST TO SHU COLORED MANUAL
PRAISE BASED NAGOSHI-DONO
NAGOSHIATION: SUCCESFUL
I'm of the opinion that they should've kept the name consistent overseas. "Like a Dragon" - what's so uncool about that?

Tizoc

I'm of the opinion that they should've kept the name consistent overseas. "Like a Dragon" - what's so uncool about that?

Not everyone will get it or appreciate it. Face it, the average Sony Sam won't get what it means, Yakuza is straight forward.
Consider that the Mother series was rebranded as Earthbound for its english release.
Mother won't make any sense until one plays and beats the game.
Earthbound gives it a sense of mystery.

If they ever want to localize the Samurai games, just name them...I dunno, how about Ronin?
Sounds good to me.

People would have complained when no actual dragons showed up in the game ;)

I've no issue with the name "Yakuza" though, since the Yakuza are always the primary focus of the series anyway. I just think they completely screwed up marketing continually - marketing it as a GTA style game when its anything but, delaying the second game to the point that it launched after the PS3 was released to no fan fair, gutting Yakuza 3 so substantially...

I'd be half tempted to add "localising Dead Souls" to that list as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad its in English but with its archaic control scheme compared to other shooters at the time it was doomed to fail, especially as the series is seriously niche to begin with...

Its still a miracle that 5 and 0 got/are getting released over here. Hopefully they can finally get the recognition the series deserves.

I like Dead Souls :/

I put 150+ hours on Dead Souls between my Japanese and Euro copies. I don't hate the game, but it has its fair share of issues that soured my opinion on the game, mainly the controls and shooting. Thankfully the awesome Binary Domain improved things a lot.

That said, it has Majima, all the usual Yakuza mini games and side missions, Ryuuji, Hayashi and still manages to be insanely addictive...

Top Bottom