• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

That's what I've heard. It's currently the only one I don't have access to yet, mainly because I wanted to see if I still wanted to play it after beating 1 since it's going to cost me close to $100 :\

Most if not all the Yakuza games are their own story so you could not enjoy the first one and absolutely love the second one and the ones that follow.

It's perfectly fine if you can't play Y2 since the subsequent games have a recap video that lets you catch up on the events that took place during that time.

Vic_Viper

In Yakuza 4 is there any way to transfer items from character to character? I put alot of stuff in the storage but when I tried to get some items as Seijima the storage was empty.

In Yakuza 4 is there any way to transfer items from character to character? I put alot of stuff in the storage but when I tried to get some items as Seijima the storage was empty.

Its been while since I played 4, but you might be able to swap items in the very final chapter/premium adventure mode. But until that point you won't be able to get items that other characters have stored.

As Shadowman said, you don't get shared inventory until the final chapter when you can freely switch between characters. But it's ok, all the stuff that the characters have before the final chapter starts stays there, it doesn't vanish. You also pool your cash together so you have more money to go out and paint the town red.

Also, I just put in the order for Ishin, should be here in a month at the latest, hopefully before then as it's coming from Hong Kong to Pakistan.

IrishNinja

^isnt there a thread for that? I find one & it's yours man

Also why aren't we talkin bout this baller-ass business day edition?! Segas got us with a steelbook & kazzy business cards/holder just for preordering!

.. not gonna lie, was quietly hoping for a Tojo clan pin but this is still really awesome

xezuru

^isnt there a thread for that? I find one & it's yours man

Also why aren't we talkin bout this baller-ass business day edition?! Segas got us with a steelbook & kazzy business cards/holder just for preordering!

.. not gonna lie, was quietly hoping for a Tojo clan pin but this is still really awesome

As much as I love Yakuza swag, I don't think there is actually a steelbook, it's just the cardholder and card accessories, none I will ever use or look at in comparison to a sick ass steelbook shining in my collection. So I'm pretty meh about it.

IrishNinja

Ohh you're right, that's the card holder I'm looking at...bummer! Still, it's free and cool of them to add more to the physical release.

I wish I saw more of the JP promo stuff on eBay, there's been awesome sake cups, bowls, pins & all sorts of loot I'd be after!

I'll get the business edition if it gets released in Europe, else I'll just grab the game itself, I've already picked up limited edition RGG0 Vita and Vita TV's from when the Japanese version was released so while I'd like the extras, I'm not too bothered if I miss them.

Oh cool what did those come with?

The Vita and Vita TV didn't come with anything extra, but they were decorated with the tattoos of Majima and Kiryu. I have a Majima Vita and a Kiryu Vita TV. Even the packaging looks really nice, probably helps that the tattoos look good on pretty much anything! (and it was just the excuse I needed to buy a second Vita!)

Here are the boxes:

and a nice shot of the back of the Vita:

And just for the heck of it, the Japanese side of my Yakuza collection:

I still wonder why I got Ishin for the PS3. There really was no need, not when its infinitely better on the PS4 thanks to the frame rate boost and cleaner resolution/textures. I also really must play through the second PSP game, I've still not touched it since I've never had enough free time between other Yakuza playthroughs!
The Japanese release of 0 I got from the Sega store came with a nice silver hip flask. I really must take a shot of all the extras I've gotten from the RGG Sega Store releases, since each has come with a different cup or bottle to hold alcohol! I've got quite a nice side collection now! Hopefully RGG6 will have shot glasses or something similar.

IrishNinja

Oh man, nice collection! That's awesome!

How exactly do you buy from the Sega store, is that JP only? Also yeah please do post your RGG swag!

Oh man, nice collection! That's awesome!

How exactly do you buy from the Sega store, is that JP only? Also yeah please do post your RGG swag!

I have a friend in Japan that grabs this stuff for me, I've already got 6 pre ordered and will grab whatever special edition they release for that game!

IrishNinja

^i am down with this plan! got my physical preordred there, but i'm spreading the word...was gonna try to work on that primer thing a bit today, and also i think i may have found the dude at sega i was looking for, now that rubyeclipse is off yakuza projects...looks like John Hardin? unless y'all got someone else we should reach out to

IrishNinja

yeah, he's the closest ive got right now - again, ruby directly talked to me when i was doing Dead Souls stuff on here/elsewhere, but now he's project manager for Sonic stuff...i was just wondering if we could find anyone at SOA tied to Yakuza 0 that'd be down with our efforts to help promote. i might just track John's email down & ask him.

John is actually here on Gaf as well. I think his username is atlusprime or something. (has an ugly looking brownish avatar)

He posted a few times in the recent Yakuza 0 PC rumor thread.

IrishNinja

okay, i worked on my section a bit & wanted feedback - included is all of Sparda's stuff too, which i added a bit towards the top & bottom

i think both sections could use some trimming, and planned on using images to show both 0's gameplay, and the preorder stuff for Business Day edition. take a look & lemme know what you guys think.

Hello GAF!

We here at Yakuza-GAF are most excited for Sega localizing 0 (with a physical release, even!) next January, and wanted to spread the word on how great this series is, and how this is the perfect time to get into the series. To that end, a few of us have worked on a series primer to help introduce folks to the series proper.

To begin, let's discuss what Yakuza is, and isn't.

Yakuza is not GTA

Back in '06 when Sega was first pushing to introduce the series out west, they not only hired some interesting vocal talent for the dub (thankfully ditched by 2), the marketing push gave some a warped defintion of what the series was about. Given that GTA clones were doing well at the time, this was understandable but still seems to have left an image that isn't accurate: while you're definitely busting heads & enjoying a wide variety of activities/mini-games, you're not destroying the city...well, any moreso than the plot calls for.

Kamurocho is a big district with lots to do, but it's best to understand that it's not the same wide-open sandbox experience many western open world games shoot for.

Likewise, it's not Shenmue

Yu Suzuki followed his history of simulators with his magnum opus, and while the attention to detail & other elements clearly influenced Naghoshi in this franchise, the latter is not trying to be the former. To quote a gaffer: "Yakuza is a brawler at heart, with adventure aspects. Shenmue is the direct opposite, a pure adventure game that very occasionally has a few fights."

It is very possible to love both series for different reasons, as tone, pacing, and the very nature of the games are quite different.

So, what then is Yakuza?

Yakuza is an action-brawler RPG, or a beat-em-up RPG if that works for you.
It's a sometimes serious crime drama infused with a strong sense of manly-tears-fist-to-the-sky type melodrama that keeps the series from taking itself too seriously.
I'ts a series where the last entry alone had me curbstomping dudes, driving taxis, playing baseball, hunting bears, training to be a J-pop idol, and smacking hooligans with bicycles for scuffing my shoes.

There's a lot to love here for classic Sega type fans - right up to DMC & Bayonetta people, as the combat ranges from simplistic to surprisingly in depth when you build it up with different characters/styles - but in its very DNA, you can see stuf like River City Ransom & Streets of Rage.

=====================================================================================================

Q: Is Yakuza 0 a good entry point to the Yakuza series?
A: Yes, it is. Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series. The story takes place before every other main title released in the past so you won’t have any problem understanding it.

Q: Why the big push for this one, then?
A: Again, we barely saw 5, so this is a clear sign Sega's looking to keep ths series out west - but it's not gonna be easy. It's a niche series, and dropping January 24th - which looks to be the same day as Resident Evil 7 & Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8, so we're trying to get interest & preorders in!

Q: Actually, how many Yakuza game are there? How many of them are canon?
A: Well if we take spin-off titles into account then the answer will be, 2 PSP titles and 10 home console games (6 main titles, 1 remake and 3 spin-offs). And soon to be 7 main titles with the release of Yakuza 6 exclusively for PS4.

Q: Whoa, that’s a lot! Does that include the Samurai games? What’s the deal with those? Are they canon and you play as your ancestor or something?
A: That number did include Kenzan and Ishin. But no, those game are not canon. They are spin-off samurai titles that take place in different time periods of Japan. Think of them as Yakuza’s take on some historical events. So they are not even direct sequels to each other. And before you get your hopes up, neither of them have been localized and released in the west.
There's a guide on how to play Kenzan right here, though!

Q: Ah, that’s a bummer. You did mentioned 3 spin-offs though, so what’s the other one? Has that one been localized?
A: Yakuza Dead Souls, the zombie spin-off. That one is Yakuza’s take on zombies and TPS games like Left 4 Dead and action Resident Evil titles. The game does have characters from the main series and takes place in a modern setting but the story is not canon and takes place in a timeline that some events of the main series happened differently.

Unlike the two samurai spin-offs, Yakuza Dead Souls has been localized and released in the west. Though, this a fun yet obviously flawed game so if you are not a fan of the series already before playing it then the chances are that you won’t like it.

Q: Are there any other good entry points to the main series besides Yakuza 0?
A: Well, Yakuza 1 would be the obvious answer. But the game hasn’t aged well at all, and finding a copy of it could prove to be a very pricy task.

While it’s true that most of the Yakuza titles have self-contained stories for the most part, but I think Yakuza 4 would be the best entry point beside Yakuza 0. Y4 introduces 3 new protagonists and the story mostly revolves around those three which makes it easier for newcomers to the series to understand and relate to it. Also the game has a recap section in its menu to bring you up to speed on the story of earlier titles.

Q: Speaking of Yakuza 1, I heard something about a remake that they made for it? Kiw-something? What’s the deal with that?
A: You are talking about Yakuza Kiwami. As you said, that’s a remake of the first Yakuza with added contents. The game has been built upon Yakuza 0’s foundations so it’ll feel pretty similar to that game. Unfortunately by the time we were writing this Q&A the game hadn’t been announced for localization so we don’t know if we’ll get it or not. But don’t let that discourage you. We still have Yakuza 0 to look forward to and I’m sure if it proves to be a profitable release in the west, Sega would be more than happy to bring the later titles in the Yakuza series to western markets.

Q: So how can I play chapters of the game after 0, then?
A: Well, 1 & 2 HD never came over sadly, so that leaves both the early PS2 games on ebay/amazon etc, where 1 isn't hard to find but 2 is quite pricey. Also bear in mind, 1 has dubbed voices, which some find off-putting, despite Mark Hamill. Personally, I'm hoping for Kiwami to be announced for the west soon!

3 is likewise cheap, and 4, 5 & Dead Souls are all for sale on PSN, for PS3.

Q; What about PC/steam?
A: Sadly, Sega has confirmed this is a PS4 exclusive (for the time) but hopefully the series migrates down the road, the way Binary Domain did!

okay, i worked on my section a bit & wanted feedback - included is all of Sparda's stuff too, which i added a bit towards the top & bottom

i think both sections could use some trimming, and planned on using images to show both 0's gameplay, and the preorder stuff for Business Day edition. take a look & lemme know what you guys think.
Terrific work Irish :)

The introduction part in particular is very very well done and quite accurate. There are little misspells and missing words here and there though, so I think you should read it once more. Like:
Kamurocho is a big city with lots to do, but it's best to understand that it's the same wide-open sandbox experience many western open world games shoot for.

If I'm not mistaken what you are trying to say is:
it's best to understand that it's not the same wide-open...
So, you might wanna read it once more just to iron out these smaller misspells and such.

Also, I think the word "district" would be a better substitute for "city" when we are describing Kamurocho since that itself is still part of Tokyo.

Other than that, amazing work. Now we have the introduction to the series and most of the Q&A done.

Now comes the second most important part of our thread. Yakuza 0 itself. Thus far we've said what Yakuza is and isn't and cleared up the misunderstanding that surrounded the series. Now, we have to sell people on Yakuza 0. The questions that we need to answer now is that:

What Yakuza 0 specifically brings to the table and why people should buy it? Both from the story point of view and from a gameplay stand point.

We can and will show people the gifs and pictures and get them interested through those, but we still need to explain the game and sell it to them through our own descriptions.

The story stuff should be easy since we can use most of the official info that Sega has released thus far. But the gameplay might be a little trickier. We need to cover the combat and give info on styles and such and at the same time we need to talk a little bit about exploration and all of the other great side contents that the game has to offer.

I would rather not do it myself since I know I can't do the game justice, but if we have no one else doing it, then I can give a little summary on each characters combat and their respective styles. Though, I would need help from people who have already played and finished the Japanese version.

But we still need someone to do a summary on other parts like exploration and side contents and all that.

P.S: Actually, Hyper Bit Hero is a huge Yakuza fan and he is here on Gaf. He has done amazing videos on Yakuza series before in his channel to give the series more exposure including a really good one that he did for Yakuza 0. I wonder if he would like and have the time to help us with some of these stuff. I'll try PM'ing him and see what happens.

SephLuis

It's late here so I will be brief.

Here's a guide on Yakuza Ishin:
http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

Guide is not mine, but last I saw it appeared pretty complete. It's been quite a long time since I finished Ishin too.

Second, you might add that Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5, iirc, were given as PS+ free games, so a lot of people might have them but didn't remember it.

Lots of pics and heat actions would be good too.

I will read it more carefully another day, but that's my quick input for now.

Thanks, SephLuis.

Yeah you are right if we are adding Kenzan's guide then we should add Ishin's too. Though, since we are putting the texts on pictures (to make the OP more appealing so people actually read it) we might have to link them at the end of OP.

And yep, telling that Yakuza 4 and 5 were put on plus is a good idea as well.

At any rate, great suggestions. Don't hesitate to share more if anything came to mind, or if you wanted to help with any other part of the thread :)

Vic_Viper

Shit just hit the perverbeal fan in the run up to the end of Yakuza 4. Im finally in the homestretch after finishing that terrible fight sequence with Kiryu going to the roof in his final section. Man is it a pain in the ass trying to fight guys with shotguns and machine guns in this game.

I finally have control of whoever I want in the final chapter and im going to save the rest of the game for another night. Need to go and get all my weapons fixed and gear everyone up before trying to do another sequence like that again.

I really liked having the multiple perspectives in the story but I wish they wouldnt have done it all in one go like they did. Is it the same in 5? Id wish I had more time to play as Kiryu and like how he seems to get alot more playtime in 5.

Also i was only able to hit level 13 with him and dont think there were really any more side quests to do with him. Anyone have any recommendations on how to level him up more? Just do more street fights? If theres one complaint ive had its that there isnt nearly enough side quests that are easy to find later on in the game. Akiyama and the Cop had some easy to find ones but I only found like 2 with Kiryu plus the dojo.

Shit just hit the perverbeal fan in the run up to the end of Yakuza 4. Im finally in the homestretch after finishing that terrible fight sequence with Kiryu going to the roof in his final section. Man is it a pain in the ass trying to fight guys with shotguns and machine guns in this game.

I finally have control of whoever I want in the final chapter and im going to save the rest of the game for another night. Need to go and get all my weapons fixed and gear everyone up before trying to do another sequence like that again.

I really liked having the multiple perspectives in the story but I wish they wouldnt have done it all in one go like they did. Is it the same in 5? Id wish I had more time to play as Kiryu and like how he seems to get alot more playtime in 5.

Also i was only able to hit level 13 with him and dont think there were really any more side quests to do with him. Anyone have any recommendations on how to level him up more? Just do more street fights? If theres one complaint ive had its that there isnt nearly enough side quests that are easy to find later on in the game. Akiyama and the Cop had some easy to find ones but I only found like 2 with Kiryu plus the dojo.

Kiryu should have around 20? side missions, I think there are around 70-80 side missions in total, roughly 20 per character. Thankfully starting with the first PSP Yakuza game they start marking all side missions on the map with "?" icons even before the side missions begin making them even easier to find and trigger. Also, bear in mind you can use the underground fighting arena to grind out EXP as well.

As for 5 - it has the same structure in swapping in and out characters - so you do 4 chapters with one character, then move onto the next etc. Yakuza 0 changes this up and instead of doing half the game with Kiryu, then Majima you get to swap between characters every two chapters which improves the flow of the game and the story a lot in my opinion.

@Irishninja - looking good so far, glad to see the GTA comparison question is first on the list as that's pretty much the first question I see in threads about the series. Unless I'm missing anything I'd also recommend putting a chart/list of the best entry points for the series - as that's like the biggest question in any Yakuza thread - you mention 0 is a good starting point, but it'd be worth mentioning the other good starting points etc. so that would hopefully prevent that question being asked over and over and over!

Also re: the Ishin guide - I think there are some small mistakes in the weapons list. At least when I used it to forge all the weapons it was missing a few on the weapons on the list, so I had to use a Japanese wiki guide to get the rest.

It might be a little hard to put a chart in it since everyone has different opinions on which title would be good to start the series with, besides 0.

Q&A does touch that subject a little bit though:
Q: Are there any other good entry points to the main series besides Yakuza 0?
A: Well, Yakuza 1 would be the obvious answer. But the game hasn’t aged well at all, and finding a copy of it could prove to be a very pricey task.

While it’s true that most of the Yakuza titles have self-contained stories for the most part, but I think Yakuza 4 would be the best entry point beside Yakuza 0. Y4 introduces 3 new protagonists and the story mostly revolves around those three which makes it easier for newcomers to the series to understand and relate to it. Also the game has a recap section in its menu to bring you up to speed on the story of earlier titles.

Maybe we can expand on the answer or change it?

It might be a little hard to put a chart in it since everyone has different opinions on which title would be good to start the series with, besides 0.

Q&A does touch on that subject a little bit though:

Maybe we can expand on the answer a little bit? Though that might make it a little bit too wordy. So, we probably should change/lessen the sentences if we decided to do that.
The main point of the Q&A is to drum up interest for Y0 and taking that into account, I think that answer is perfectly fine.

N° 2048

Just started playing Yakuza 4 yesterday randomly since it's been sitting on my PS3.

Wow, the details in this game. It's my first Yakuza game too.

The main point of the Q&A is to drum up interest for Y0 and taking that into account, I think that answer is perfectly fine.
Yeah, I feel the same way. But I think we should add a couple of more questions to Q&A. I have this feeling that something is messing and yet I can't put my finger on it.

Just started playing Yakuza 4 yesterday randomly since it's been sitting on my PS3.

Oh man, you are in for a treat. Yakuza 4 is my favorite so I really hope you enjoy it.

Take your time and play the game at your own pace :)

Vic_Viper

For the Yakuza series guide you guys are working on. I really wish there was a way to see what the move list is other than the minor descriptions given in the abilities section of the menu in game. I know it would be a large task in itself explaining all the abilities but maybe just a started guide explaining the basics for Kiryu's fighting style in 1-5 (since everything changes drastically in 0 and 6). If theres a good video atleast id post it since I couldnt seem to find one. Id also mention if you havent already that these games are definetly not GTA in Japan. But more of an action JRPG.

Kiryu should have around 20? side missions, I think there are around 70-80 side missions in total, roughly 20 per character. Thankfully starting with the first PSP Yakuza game they start marking all side missions on the map with "?" icons even before the side missions begin making them even easier to find and trigger. Also, bear in mind you can use the underground fighting arena to grind out EXP as well.

As for 5 - it has the same structure in swapping in and out characters - so you do 4 chapters with one character, then move onto the next etc. Yakuza 0 changes this up and instead of doing half the game with Kiryu, then Majima you get to swap between characters every two chapters which improves the flow of the game and the story a lot in my opinion.

The side missions are not really that easy to find in this game other than the guys with the blue arrows above their heads. I hope its easier in 5 since ive been rushing to get to the end of 4 so I can start it. Had literally no idea about the underground fighting area lol, is it the one in purgatory?

I just started the Yakuza series like a week ago with 4 myself and im in the run up to the end so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Its still fresh in my mind. Btw, there are some really good items you get if you go to the PSN store and download that free item pack. Theres like 9 total that come with it and I highly recommend getting them.

bare in mind, Ive been skipping ALOT of the side stuff in 4. Im at like 28 hours in and still less than 10% done lol.

The side missions are not really that easy to find in this game other than the guys with the blue arrows above their heads. I hope its easier in 5 since ive been rushing to get to the end of 4 so I can start it. Had literally no idea about the underground fighting area lol, is it the one in purgatory?

I don't remember my time with Yakuza 4 all that well since its been so long since I played it (and I'm so long overdue for a replay) but I remember triggering almost all the side missions naturally. I play the games at a glacial pace though exploring everything and spending tons of time playing mini games etc. so that might have made it "easier" for me to run into side stories naturally over time. Only side story I vividly remember having issues with was one particular part of one of Seijima's side stories where you had to stand in one precise location (not even a few millimeters to the left/right) in order for the mission to trigger. Took bloody forever to get that to trigger!

And yes, the fighting arena is still down in Purgatory though thanks to the continual development of Kamuracho Hills (will it FINALLY be explorable in Yakuza 6?) you have to enter the sewers from the park in the north western part of the map and then reach Purgatory from there.

Vic_Viper

What should I do to prepare for the last section of 4? (probably spoiler tagged in case anyone who is playing or about to play doesnt want to know). All Ive heard is to make sure everyone is atleast level 14 and has all their defensive items equipped. Is there anything else important to do other than that and is that still pretty low level wise? Are there alot of gun fights that might piss me off if anyone remembers?

Side missions are much easier to find in Y5 since the game shows them on the map using question marks.

This is a huge plus for me. Ive been trying to rush through 4 without doing a ton of side stuff so I can get to Y5. But this is a huge plus since ill be wanting to do as much as possible in 5.

Also Ishin will finally be here next week!! The guide SephLuis posted earlier is amazing and pretty much why I went ahead and imported it. I cannot wait to play a Samurai Yakuza game on PS4 with 60 FPS.

N° 2048

Oh man, you are in for a treat. Yakuza 4 is my favorite so I really hope you enjoy it.

Take your time and play the game at your own pace :)

For the Yakuza series guide you guys are working on. I really wish there was a way to see what the move list is other than the minor descriptions given in the abilities section of the menu in game. I know it would be a large task in itself explaining all the abilities but maybe just a started guide explaining the basics for Kiryu's fighting style in 1-5 (since everything changes drastically in 0 and 6). If theres a good video atleast id post it since I couldnt seem to find one. Id also mention if you havent already that these games are definetly not GTA in Japan. But more of an action JRPG.

I just started the Yakuza series like a week ago with 4 myself and im in the run up to the end so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Its still fresh in my mind. Btw, there are some really good items you get if you go to the PSN store and download that free item pack. Theres like 9 total that come with it and I highly recommend getting them.

bare in mind, Ive been skipping ALOT of the side stuff in 4. Im at like 28 hours in and still less than 10% done lol.

Guys, I'm like playing a claw game in a Sega Club and pool in an underground mall..wtf is this game I love it.

I missed this part of your post first time around. Weird.

Anyway, yeah I think that might be a bit too much for us to handle right now. If the series grew larger then we could do something like that in the future but for now we are focusing our efforts on selling Yakuza 0 to people so this might not be a good idea for this particular thread.

I feel like if the series was bigger in the west, action fans most likely would have done this (and possibly more) by now. So if we manage to make Yakuza 0 a little bit more successful then it might indirectly result in seeing something like that in the future.

And in regards to clearing up the GTA clone misunderstanding, Irish's great introduction for thread already covers that part nicely. It's a few posts back. Maybe you could read it and give us a little bit feedback on it? :)

Guys, I'm like playing a claw game in a Sega Club and pool in an underground mall..wtf is this game I love it.
You are finding out why we love this series so much :) My favorite mini-game is the batting center. The one in Yakuza 0 seems to be especially fun since you can bet on yourself and even earn money that way!

Yeah, the mini games in the series have evolved with every sequel to the point where I almost look forward to them more than the main story/action in the game. 0 shook things up really nicely with the added gambling mechanic and new challenge goals for mini games. 6 looks to improve things even further with a nice wide range of brand new activities to sink my time into.

Gotta give the team credit for giving so much love to the mini games - compare darts or Pool in Yakuza to GTA for example and the Yakuza mini games just seem to be of far higher quality - featuring tighter mechanics, nicer presentation, better physics (in the case of Pool) and a nice wealth of different options.

IrishNinja

Oh yeah, I'm back in 3 these days and some of the side missions are way harder to trigger/less obvious than 4 & 5, for sure

Also: any idea when Yakuza 4 & 5 were free with PS+ specifically? You guys are right, it's a point worth mentioning in the Q&A.

Yeah, the mini-games in Yakuza series are on a whole new level than stuff we see in GTA and similar games. And they are even taking it further with Y6. I still can't believe we can actually play Baseball in that game! So hyped for that :)

Oh yeah, I'm back in 3 these days and some of the side missions are way harder to trigger/less obvious than 4 & 5, for sure

Also: any idea when Yakuza 4 & 5 were free with PS+ specifically? You guys are right, it's a point worth mentioning in the Q&A.
You reminded me that I still haven't finished all of the side quests in Y5. I should get on that someday.

And for PS Plus titles this should help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

According to that, Yakuza 4 was February 2015 and Yakuza 5 was just last month during August.

Airbar

Neo Member
Just bought Y2 on a whim today. Cost me only $10 so I thought why not. Set up PCSX2 and finished the first chapter.
I had no prior experience with the series and I am already enjoying my time with it tremendously. That Japanese VO is awesome and adds a lot of character.
So yeah, great series and I'm glad I finally jumped in.

Does anyone know about the pacing of the story in 0? Specifically is it more like 1 - 4 or like 5. I don't think I could play another Yakuza game that has the pacing of 5.

Does anyone know about the pacing of the story in 0? Specifically is it more like 1 - 4 or like 5. I don't think I could play another Yakuza game that has the pacing of 5.

Its different to all the above. You play two Kiryu chapters, then two Majima chapters, then two Kiryu... the stories of each character take place concurrently and overlap at points, so its not like you watch the story from Kiryu's point of view, then time rewinds and you replay the events from Majima's point of view (if that makes sense). I think its the best way to handle the story with multiple protagonists, hopefully if they do multiple protagonists again, they limit it to two again and handle the story in the same way as 0.

Just bought Y2 on a whim today. Cost me only $10 so I thought why not. Set up PCSX2 and finished the first chapter.
I had no prior experience with the series and I am already enjoying my time with it tremendously. That Japanese VO is awesome and adds a lot of character.
So yeah, great series and I'm glad I finally jumped in.

That's a great deal, the second game usually costs far more so you got yourself a great bargain ;)
Glad your enjoying the game, you've got tons of awesome moments to come in Yakuza 2 (some really great set pieces)

Jawmuncher

I really hate how 3 is the odd duck out. 1&2 you can easily emulate. Or you can play 0 then the 1 remake, and they'll more than likely do 2. 4&5 have digital downloads so the prices are more fair there/5 was just given away recently with PS+

But 3 for whatever reason isn't even available digitally. So the second hand prices all stay above $20 just for the disc, and no GameStop near me carry it. I think I'm just gonna skip it and play the series out of order.

4-5-0-whatever they translate after that

I really hate how 3 is the odd duck out. 1&2 you can easily emulate. Or you can play 0 then the 1 remake, and they'll more than likely do 2. 4&5 have digital downloads so the prices are more fair there/5 was just given away recently with PS+

But 3 for whatever reason isn't even available digitally. So the second hand prices all stay above $20 just for the disc, and no GameStop near me carry it. I think I'm just gonna skip it and play the series out of order.

4-5-0-whatever they translate after that
If 4 is going to be your first Yakuza game then I think you're doing the right thing. 4 serves as a much better entry point to the series as compared to 3.

Well that's good to hear then.

The reason for that is that Y3 kinda depends on you having a basic understanding of the previous games' events for you to relate to the characters.

You can certainly start with Y3 but it would have much more "impact" if you've played at least Y2 if not Y1 as well.

Y4 has a new story with characters that are almost all new with 3 new protagonists in addition to the returning protag (Kazuma "Mothafuckin" Kiryu) and introduces some new stuff into the series and refines some existing stuff. So for a lot of people it's the best starting point.

Y0 also serves as a good entry point because it's a prequel and doesn't require any knowledge of the previous games or characters.

But you're certainly doing the right thing IMO by starting with Y4 if you can't start straight up from the beginning.

business interests [Kazuma only], hostess club management [Majima only], foxy boxing, phone dating, disco dancing, model car racing, Outrun, Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Fantasy Zone, darts, shogi, fishing, mahjong, karaoke, batting, pool, UFO crane, bowling, fight tournaments, chou-han, koi-koi, chinchirorin, oicho-kabu, roulette, poker, blackjack, baccarat and slots.

If I were you, I'd be pointing out Outrun, Disco dancing and the foxy boxing.

Hmm... I don't remember slots in Yakuza 0 at all...

I'd highlight the model car racing over the girl wrestling personally. The model car racing is addictive and damn fun, the girly wrestling is the worst thing about 0, terribly designed and so random that I just played it while reading on my tablet, just hammering the circle button until I won (this strategy actually works, I managed to get 10 wins trophy after a little time).
There is strategy to it really, picking the right girl in the right mood etc. but the button bashing and blatant input reading by the CPU made me curse the developers for ever creating the mini game in the first place! Good thing they neutered the diifficulty for it in Kiwami when they brought it back as an arcade game.

Hmm... I don't remember slots in Yakuza 0 at all...

I'd highlight the model car racing over the girl wrestling personally. The model car racing is addictive and damn fun, the girly wrestling is the worst thing about 0, terribly designed and so random that I just played it while reading on my tablet, just hammering the circle button until I won (this strategy actually works, I managed to get 10 wins trophy after a little time).
There is strategy to it really, picking the right girl in the right mood etc. but the button bashing and blatant input reading by the CPU made me curse the developers for ever creating the mini game in the first place! Good thing they neutered the diifficulty for it in Kiwami when they brought it back as an arcade game.
I got that list from a post on gamefaqs. Pachinko has been in more than a few Yakuza games so I just assumed.

N° 2048

10 hours put into Yakuza 4 in two days.
Yep. This game is something special. I don't usually put that many hours in two days into a game unless it's damn good.

Top Bottom