• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

IrishNinja

damn, that sounds brutal! im guessing that's the last one i'd go for in 5, haha

and yeah, again, im stuck looping tag team GP 2 in 3's coliseum, patrick's guide doesn't seem to say it's rep but im wondering if i should just redo some of the lower tiers & see, i'm like 10-1 on this one and its doing nothing. i'd convinced myself it was me not having the final tag member option but that might have nothing to do with it either!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ok Akiyama is actually the worst part Shinada is actually as easy as Kiryuu and Saejima it just takes a long ass time cause he doesn't do whole lot of damage. Thought it would be worse cause you don't have access to weapons with Shinada but was totally wrong on that.

You regenerate heat automatically while in the red and you can heal yourself. Worst comes to worst you can just run in circles until you have access to healing.
Guess this plat is a sealed deal just gotta farm those points.

IrishNinja

Oh Damn, I thought it was finished lol. What's left for them to do? The story portion looks completely from the looks of it.

The guide does seem pretty much complete. That's why I decided to import it too! Still waiting on it to arrive.

oh yeah, i was just referring to his fansubbing the videos on his YT channel - guide itself i'm sure is mostly done, i just used said vids for my Kenzan! playthrough so i was waiting on more of them!

Okay.... *goes and sits quietly in a corner*

...damn. okay.
looking to hang with cj tomorrow, gonna talk with him about our thread idea & run more of it past John!

Vic_Viper

Forgot to check out the videos for the guide. Hope he finishes them soon, I'd like to watch the cutscenes atleast with subs.

Man, Sega really messed up with Yakuza 1's promo if that whole GTA thing gets thrown around still. And also, how did that comparison ever get made? Apart from guns being a throwaway item in the series, it wasn't until 2012 (when Y5 hit Japan) did you get control over a car for the first time!

cj_iwakura

71xVX9O5xML._SL1000_.jpg

Not sure how I feel about that cover...

Oh wait, yes I do.

It sucks. Can't have Beat Takeshi in the game without putting him front and center, huh?

xezuru

Not sure how I feel about that cover...

Oh wait, yes I do.

It sucks. Can't have Beat Takeshi in the game without putting him front and center, huh?

On pretty much every boxart design, I'd prefer minimalistic/stylized art rather than random character renders. Steelbox plus former is a definite plus. Wish all the Yakuza games had that white minimal art :(

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yey finally platted Yakuza 5. Just out of morbid curiosity anyone knows how much it takes to do the plats for 0 and Kiwami?
Do they get less annoying?

Yey finally platted Yakuza 5. Just out of morbid curiosity anyone knows how much it takes to do the plats for 0 and Kiwami?

Congrats man. That reminds me that I'm just one Hard and one Ex-Hard playthroughs away from platting Yakuza 4. I'll do that.... someday.... probably.

As much as I enjoy the series, I can't possibly imagine getting the platinum. MAYBE I'll go for it with Yakuza 0 but Y5's would just be a massive grind.

I've 100%ed both games (with just a couple of story based trophies left to get on 0, which I'll grab on my EX hard run):

0 - completion list is fairly straight forward, the two main side missions for Kiryu and Majima (business acquisition and club management) will take a while to grind out but I found fairly fun, I'd usually do them interspersed with the story.
The mini games are fairly easy to do bar the phone hot line which requires you to get lucky, as you need to complete it several times to invite different girls out on dates - but you can't select which girl calls you, so it'll take a bit of time to get them all.

The racing car mini game is fairly straight forward if you use a guide to learn which parts are best to use, technically cheating really but I had a hard time figuring it out on my own, still an awesome mode though.

The friendship gauges don't take too much time to fill up, you should complete them all fairly quick.

The completion list requires you to perform certain actions (like completing arena fights) many times over, but it doesn't feel too grindy, at least not compared to 5's grind...

The weapon modding takes a while though, especially as there is an element of luck of getting all the parts/items you need. That probably took me several hours at least to completely complete, best to start it early in the game (I think its unlocked very early in Majima's story).

Now the biggest drain of time and sanity (and I guarantee this will get the most complaints in the official thread once the game is released, much like the comedy mini game did for 5) - Cat fighting. The 100% completion requirement requires you to win a tournament once (as long as you bet as much money as physically possible - so always save before you start the mini game), however for the platinum you have to win tournaments 10 times. The game is basically rock, paper, scissors however certain attacks deal more/less damage, and you have to button bash the heck out of the circle button to deal the most damage. Oh and the AI blatantly cheats (or it sure feels this way). It probably took 5 or so hours at least to get the 10 wins.

It probably took me 100 hours all told to hit 100% completion, then add an EX Hard run on top of that which is another 10-20 hours depending on how much you do.

Kiwami is shorter, since there is less to do especially in the mini game department so you'll be done with it much quicker. The arena has a new grind to it - as you need arena points for Komaki move scrolls, but its easy to get lots of points quick using the rush style and completing optional arena objectives (and once you have the tiger drop unlocked, use the Dojijma stance for even quicker wins to get even more points). Majima will be the other major grind in this game, mainly because you have to beat him many times to get the Dojima stance powered up to a useful state, just fight him as much as possible as you go through the game to lessen the grind.
Also, Haruka's Trust is the main post game grind, most of it is easy, bar the gambling which takes luck more than anything to complete, Billiards was also fairly tough for me to complete.

Depending on the difficulty level, Kiwami will take much less time to complete, its mainly just the Majima grind which will hold you up.

Also, not sure if you've done it or not, but Ishin is the biggest grind of the bunch - weapon modding + completion list adds so many unnecessary hours to the game.

kubus

So I recently caught the Yakuza flu after beating Yakuza 2 last month (I played and beat Yakuza 1 somewhere in January) and I'm itching to play the rest and move to PS3 and eventually PS4.

I actually moved to Japan two weeks ago, and I had to leave my tv and consoles behind :(. Yesterday I went to a secondhand shop and got me a small hdtv and PS3, so I can play Yakuza 3, 4 and 5. Yes, I'm pretty desperate. Once I beat all those games, I think I'll pick up a PS4 too so I can play Yakuza 6 :)

I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and if possible I'd like to help out with the Yakuza 0 megathread thingie you guys have been cooking up! Of course, as a Yakuza newbie I won't be able to offer much in the writing department, but I can handle Photoshop pretty well so if you guys still need someone for the OT graphics, I think I can help out! It's gonna depend on how busy I am in December though, as I just started school and don't know yet what the work load is gonna be.

Anyway, I hope to start Yakuza 3 soon and I'll try to post about it from time to time in this thread. Really excited for it because I gotta admit, Y1 and Y2 were cool but it was kinda janky. Also I got headaches from the repeated sound clip that plays around Tenkaichi Street in Kamurocho. Oh, and what better place to play the Yakuza games than in Tokyo itself :).

I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and if possible I'd like to help out with the Yakuza 0 megathread thingie you guys have been cooking up! Of course, as a Yakuza newbie I won't be able to offer much in the writing department, but I can handle Photoshop pretty well so if you guys still need someone for the OT graphics, I think I can help out! It's gonna depend on how busy I am in December though, as I just started school and don't know yet what the work load is gonna be.
Sorry for the late answer, man.

Thanks for the offer we could definitely use more help. Especially since the graphical stuff seem to be getting a little bit bigger than what we predicted in the beginning and cj is the only one helping with those stuff and it doesn't seem fair to dump everything on him. So, we might take you up on that offer :)

Also now that we are on the subject, Irish and cj, I'm still waiting to hear back from you guys. Did you get any chance to discuss about any of the stuff regarding the thread? There is no rush, it's just that you said you are gonna meet and talk about it but we didn't hear more on the subject form you afterwards.

Anyway, kubus while your help is definitely appreciated, remember one thing. If during that time you ever, EVER felt that you helping here is affecting your studies or other aspects of your real life and you need to get away to focus more on those, then PLEASE do not hesitate to tell us that. We appreciate the help but real life matters always take priority.

I think I forgot to say this before but the same goes for you too, Irish and cj. If at any point you felt like you don't have the time and need to concentrate on real life problems then please do not hesitate to say so. I would feel terrible if our project affected any of our lives in a bad way.

P.S: Living and studying in Tokyo, Japan. Man, I'm so jealous of you right now. You are one lucky son of a gun :)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I've 100%ed both games (with just a couple of story based trophies left to get on 0, which I'll grab on my EX hard run):

0 - completion list is fairly straight forward, the two main side missions for Kiryu and Majima (business acquisition and club management) will take a while to grind out but I found fairly fun, I'd usually do them interspersed with the story.
The mini games are fairly easy to do bar the phone hot line which requires you to get lucky, as you need to complete it several times to invite different girls out on dates - but you can't select which girl calls you, so it'll take a bit of time to get them all.

The racing car mini game is fairly straight forward if you use a guide to learn which parts are best to use, technically cheating really but I had a hard time figuring it out on my own, still an awesome mode though.

The friendship gauges don't take too much time to fill up, you should complete them all fairly quick.

The completion list requires you to perform certain actions (like completing arena fights) many times over, but it doesn't feel too grindy, at least not compared to 5's grind...

The weapon modding takes a while though, especially as there is an element of luck of getting all the parts/items you need. That probably took me several hours at least to completely complete, best to start it early in the game (I think its unlocked very early in Majima's story).

Now the biggest drain of time and sanity (and I guarantee this will get the most complaints in the official thread once the game is released, much like the comedy mini game did for 5) - Cat fighting. The 100% completion requirement requires you to win a tournament once (as long as you bet as much money as physically possible - so always save before you start the mini game), however for the platinum you have to win tournaments 10 times. The game is basically rock, paper, scissors however certain attacks deal more/less damage, and you have to button bash the heck out of the circle button to deal the most damage. Oh and the AI blatantly cheats (or it sure feels this way). It probably took 5 or so hours at least to get the 10 wins.

It probably took me 100 hours all told to hit 100% completion, then add an EX Hard run on top of that which is another 10-20 hours depending on how much you do.

Kiwami is shorter, since there is less to do especially in the mini game department so you'll be done with it much quicker. The arena has a new grind to it - as you need arena points for Komaki move scrolls, but its easy to get lots of points quick using the rush style and completing optional arena objectives (and once you have the tiger drop unlocked, use the Dojijma stance for even quicker wins to get even more points). Majima will be the other major grind in this game, mainly because you have to beat him many times to get the Dojima stance powered up to a useful state, just fight him as much as possible as you go through the game to lessen the grind.
Also, Haruka's Trust is the main post game grind, most of it is easy, bar the gambling which takes luck more than anything to complete, Billiards was also fairly tough for me to complete.

Depending on the difficulty level, Kiwami will take much less time to complete, its mainly just the Majima grind which will hold you up.

Also, not sure if you've done it or not, but Ishin is the biggest grind of the bunch - weapon modding + completion list adds so many unnecessary hours to the game.

Thanks man! Doesn't sound too bad actually. I might go down those rabbit holes again.
Especially my hard ex run kind of washed away all the frustrating time in the arena and reminded me of how much I love the over the top soap opera story of Yakuza.

kubus

Sorry for the late answer, man.

Thanks for the offer we could definitely use more help. Especially since the graphical stuff seem to be getting a little bit bigger than what we predicted in the beginning and cj is the only one helping with those stuff and it doesn't seem fair to dump everything on him. So, we might take you up on that offer :)

Also now that we are on the subject, Irish and cj, I'm still waiting to hear back from you guys. Did you get any chance to discuss about any of the stuff regarding the thread? There is no rush, it's just that you said you are gonna meet and talk about it but we didn't hear more on the subject form you afterwards.

Anyway, kubus while your help is definitely appreciated, remember one thing. If during that time you ever, EVER felt that you helping here is affecting your studies or other aspects of your real life and you need to get away to focus more on those, then PLEASE do not hesitate to tell us that. We appreciate the help but real life matters always take priority.

I think I forgot to say this before but the same goes for you too, Irish and cj. If at any point you felt like you don't have the time and need to concentrate on real life problems then please do not hesitate to say so. I would feel terrible if our project affected any of our lives in a bad way.

P.S: Living and studying in Tokyo, Japan. Man, I'm so jealous of you right now. You are one lucky son of a gun :)
Don't worry about it! I didn't know cj was already doing the graphics, so I hope I'm not imposing. If cj wants to do all the graphics, I'm really absolutely okay with that! Likewise I'm completely open to work together on the graphics or whatever :)

And yeah, I have a tendency to put this kind of stuff before real life matters, so I appreciate your concern :). It's good to remember that school, work and private life always comes first. I've burned myself on this before (I promised someone I'd do the graphics for an OT, forget about it, and then made the graphics while I should've been studying for an exam) and I'm gonna try and prevent that from happening again :p. Nobody should be ashamed or feel burdened if they have to step down because of real life matters!

(And yeah I'm absolutely thrilled to be here in Japan! Only going to be here for one year though, then I'm moving back to the Netherlands. Oh and I'm a girl btw :p
don't feel bad please, I'm not offended, just pointing it out ;)
)

Jimrpg

^ Be sure to head down to Osaka, if you travel around (and then play Yakuza 5). They did a great job with it in Y5. I just went this year and they have some the same shops in the game as in real life. It's pretty cool.

Speaking of Y5, I just finished the third chapter and its marginally better than the second (which was terrible). I guess maybe back in 2012, it would have been cool to have a rhythm game, but now it feels really dated as part of the main story. I think it would have been a lot better as a side story AND Haruka as a side character. At over 5-6 hours for the chapter, its an incredibly long diversion.

As Y5 is a pretty long game, I've also done a lot less side missions (basically none), which is a shame because I really like the series, but Chapter 2 and 3 is basically one long grind and cut scenes.

Don't worry about it! I didn't know cj was already doing the graphics, so I hope I'm not imposing. If cj wants to do all the graphics, I'm really absolutely okay with that! Likewise I'm completely open to work together on the graphics or whatever :)

And yeah, I have a tendency to put this kind of stuff before real life matters, so I appreciate your concern :). It's good to remember that school, work and private life always comes first. I've burned myself on this before (I promised someone I'd do the graphics for an OT, forget about it, and then made the graphics while I should've been studying for an exam) and I'm gonna try and prevent that from happening again :p. Nobody should be ashamed or feel burdened if they have to step down because of real life matters!

(And yeah I'm absolutely thrilled to be here in Japan! Only going to be here for one year though, then I'm moving back to the Netherlands. Oh and I'm a girl btw :p
don't feel bad please, I'm not offended, just pointing it out ;)
)
Yeah. You two can work it out among yourselves on how you wanna approach the graphics :)

Oh, I know that situation a little bit too well. It happened to me before on other side stuff that I was doing and kinda hurt my studies. Well, to be more accurate it hurt my free/rest time since I had to study a lot more, but you get the point. So yeah, absolutely no shame in needing to step down.

I see. Still, it should be a great experience to live in Japan for a whole year. Hope you enjoy your time there.

Oh, sorry about that. I swear we need a gender option/indicator in GAF. Cause when this happens you can't help but feel a little embarrassed, hahaha.

Reposting in this thread since the Y5 OT seems dead.

Can anyone help, I've encountered a potentially game-ruining bug.

The game keeps getting stuck in an endless loading screen loop whenever Haruka and Ms.Park go to Club SEGA for the story mission where they go shopping.

I've tried reloading a previous save and heading to club SEGA on my own and it works but for some reason this story mission is the only place it happens.

Using a 160 GB Slim and my copy of the game is digital (PS+) if it makes a difference.

Caim

Reposting in this thread since the Y5 OT seems dead.

Can anyone help, I've encountered a potentially game-ruining bug.

The game keeps getting stuck in an endless loading screen loop whenever Haruka and Ms.Park go to Club SEGA for the story mission where they go shopping.

I've tried reloading a previous save and heading to club SEGA on my own and it works but for some reason this story mission is the only place it happens.

Using a 160 GB Slim and my copy of the game is digital (PS+) if it makes a difference.

Damn.

The only thing I can think of re-installing the game. I've had something like that happen to me when I tried to do one of Haruka's lessons, but it was just a one-time thing.

Damn.

The only thing I can think of re-installing the game. I've had something like that happen to me when I tried to do one of Haruka's lessons, but it was just a one-time thing.

Aww man, I was afraid of that :(

Downloading full games on the ps3 is such a hassle but I guess it's the only thing that can work now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks man! Doesn't sound too bad actually. I might go down those rabbit holes again.
Especially my hard ex run kind of washed away all the frustrating time in the arena and reminded me of how much I love the over the top soap opera story of Yakuza.

Happy to help :) I'm probably going to do a Yakuza 4 replay very soon, its been a few months since my last Yakuza game and it'll be mid/late December before I start 6. Its been ages since I played through Yakuza 4 so a EX Hard run is in order I think :)

Weekly Famitsu (and Yakuza Fan) have further details this week on Hiroshima and the baseball mini game. Hiroshima sounds like an interesting place to explore - almost sounds like a ghost town, except it looks really nice!
I'm looking forward to the baseball mini game - I enjoyed Shinada's "another drama" story in 5 and really appreciated the better batting controls, so getting a more fleshed out baseball mini game with those controls is great news.

IrishNinja

okay, so i'm waiting to hear back from John Hardin on our primer thread (even sent him your image & suggestions, sparda! wanted some input) and one hurricane later, finally meeitng up with cj_iwakura again tomorrow to see what he says too.

meanwhile anyone seen this? forgive me if it was linked prior, as it's older: Your Next Favorite: The Yakuza Series

i'm only a bit into it, but there's a lotta insight here we could use, this guy really gets the series/zany tone, and i liked him pointing out that it plays like a sweet spot between technical brawlers (DMC) and auto ones (Dynasty Warriors). also, Open District vs Open World was a great observation.

IrishNinja

crap, just realized i'm doing all this stuff in Yakuza 5's premium game mode, which doesn't carry over, right? i think i had the Amon fight open in the main game but haven't actually done it yet (wanted to see if i should be unlocking any more weapons/armor/moves etc) so now i'm wondering if i shouldn't tie it up here in premium, i beat the game on normal so was hoping to blaze through hard/ex-hard with the golden gun. what should i do?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
crap, just realized i'm doing all this stuff in Yakuza 5's premium game mode, which doesn't carry over, right? i think i had the Amon fight open in the main game but haven't actually done it yet (wanted to see if i should be unlocking any more weapons/armor/moves etc) so now i'm wondering if i shouldn't tie it up here in premium, i beat the game on normal so was hoping to blaze through hard/ex-hard with the golden gun. what should i do?

I think only progress doesn't carry over but rewards can. I at least can confirm that the 100% rewards for Minigame and Colosseum as well as 100% overall do once you unlock them. I finished up those 3 in premium and when I started my EX Hard run I still had the rewards from those available once I had access to the convenience store. I assume that's because the programming logic for the rewards themselves function in the same way that the challenge reward does which is something you can only do outside of the game anyway and is such mode independent.

Tizoc

okay, so i'm waiting to hear back from John Hardin on our primer thread (even sent him your image & suggestions, sparda! wanted some input) and one hurricane later, finally meeitng up with cj_iwakura again tomorrow to see what he says too.

meanwhile anyone seen this? forgive me if it was linked prior, as it's older: Your Next Favorite: The Yakuza Series

i'm only a bit into it, but there's a lotta insight here we could use, this guy really gets the series/zany tone, and i liked him pointing out that it plays like a sweet spot between technical brawlers (DMC) and auto ones (Dynasty Warriors). also, Open District vs Open World was a great observation.

Umm we did have threads for that video series bro ;)

Note to self: Write up that Yakuza 0 mini games hype thread.

Okay, thanks for update Irish. Hopefully you hear more from John Hardin.

And yeah, I've seen that one before it's a very good video. He actually has another one for Yakuza 0 which is the source of all my Yakuza 0 gifs :)

I think they changed the rules in 5 (or it might have been Ishin) so that you couldn't take your premium adventure stuff over into a new game. No idea why, seems like a bizarre thing to take away. Its why I always keep an extra save after I finish the game just so I can at least take most of my stats/progress into an EX Hard mode run.

IrishNinja

look what came in!

I think only progress doesn't carry over but rewards can. I at least can confirm that the 100% rewards for Minigame and Colosseum as well as 100% overall do once you unlock them. I finished up those 3 in premium and when I started my EX Hard run I still had the rewards from those available once I had access to the convenience store. I assume that's because the programming logic for the rewards themselves function in the same way that the challenge reward does which is something you can only do outside of the game anyway and is such mode independent.

okay, so it sounds like as long as i complete it, the clown/whoever should stick to his word & keep rewards available, awesome. if anyone can confirm the golden gun i'd feel great!

Umm we did have threads for that video series bro ;)

Note to self: Write up that Yakuza 0 mini games hype thread.

i don't doubt there's a thread - it's a fantastic series - but that one's highly relevant here, and rather useful for our primer thread efforts to boot!

Vic_Viper

Are the Yakuza 6 or 0 demos available on the JPN PSN? Or are they only available with the boxed copies of the games they came with?

IrishNinja

Are the Yakuza 6 or 0 demos available on the JPN PSN? Or are they only available with the boxed copies of the games they came with?

so far i believe you needed a kiwami code, as the date gets closer im really hoping we see a public one though...keeping an eye on yakuzafan!

6 demo requires a code that came with Kiwami, but I think the codes have since expired? I'd imagine we'll get a better demo released a week or so before the release of the full game (as with other Yakuza games)

It finally arrived!!

A word of warning, should you decide to start on hard difficulty, remember to grab a few healing items before heading to the first real big story level/battle. As the game does not give you health drops in levels on hard mode (or at least, I never got any) and Ishin does not pull any punches difficulty wise (its practically the opposite of 4&5 which were far too easy).
Otherwise, enjoy :) Its a brilliant game.

A word of warning, should you decide to start on hard difficulty, remember to grab a few healing items before heading to the first real big story level/battle. As the game does not give you health drops in levels on hard mode (or at least, I never got any) and Ishin does not pull any punches difficulty wise (its practically the opposite of 4&5 which were far too easy).
Thanks for the advice.
Congrats, man.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
It was actually because of you guys that I decided to order it lol, I know I'm in for a great game.

IrishNinja

Is dead souls worth picking up? but disappointed in Y5, would dead souls be better?

dead souls is fun fanservice & better thought of as a weird expansion to Y4, kinda liked Red Dead: Undead Nightmare or whatever but imagine it's a full fledged game with some characters you didn't get to play as before.

so before i answer: what didn't you like specifically about 5?

Jimrpg

dead souls is fun fanservice & better thought of as a weird expansion to Y4, kinda liked Red Dead: Undead Nightmare or whatever but imagine it's a full fledged game with some characters you didn't get to play as before.

so before i answer: what didn't you like specifically about 5?

Loved Chapter 1, Chapter 2 was very boring and again Chapter 3 dragged on for too long. I'm on Chapter 4 now and its interesting again but overall, i think Yakuza 5 was a bit disappointment.

I generally play the Yakuza's for story. Y4 was my favourite.

The IGN review says the shooting is terrible in Y:DS, so I guess I'll think about it and see if I still want it later on in the week.

Dead Souls is ok, isn't great in my opinion. The story is very cookie cutter (even in Japanese its very easy to follow) and if you don't like the feel of the shooting you may not get much enjoyment out of the game at all. Playable Majima and Goda is awesome, all the normal content of Yakuza is awesome, but 5 is a much, much, much better game than Dead Souls. Might just be worth waiting on Yakuza 0 instead, its a way better game.

Top Bottom