• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah, at $700 the PS5 Pro is expensive for a console, but I spent more than double that on my GPU alone

XXL

The PS5 Pro was announced this week and, oh boy, it's a pricey beast. To slide this chunk of console meat under your TV, you'll need to slap down $700. When faced with that price tag, all I could think was how I'd need about 700 sofas to find that much spare change, and I just don't know how to source furniture in those quantities. But as I was scrounging for pennies between the cushions of the two sofas I already own, it dawned on me that I've gladly spent considerably more to feed my PC gaming habit.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Tired Charles Barkley GIF by NBA on TNT

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
But we don't only game on pc, and if you want the same performance as a pro you don't need to spend 1500 dollar on the GPU. For that price you do 4k/60 or even 120 fps maxed out with better ray tracing and all whistle and bells.

We don't pay for online too and games are way cheaper, mods, Steam, we also have pretty much every exclusives.

XXL

There's so many threads and articles from people who don't want this thing. More than those that want it. It's wild really.

From the article
But for those not already initiated in the mysteries of our beloved platform, and who don't have the time or money to invest in it, a PS5 Pro seems like a decent proposition. Honestly, though, I'd still recommend a regular PS5—it's cheaper, it's out now and you'll get access to exactly the same games. Regardless, as much as consoles have basically just become PCs, they still very much have their place, offering convenience at a price point which, even with the PS5 Pro, will have less of a devastating impact on your bank balance than a PC gaming setup.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Do you guys think that Sony didn't try to put their machine next to a PC when pricing it? Like, not even once? They just winged it? PC gaming as gone up in price a lot, especially once you get past even entry level. And entry level is crap.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But we don't only game on pc, and if you want the same performance as a pro you don't need to spend 1500 dollar on the GPU. For that price you do 4k/60 or even 120 fps maxed out with better ray tracing and all whistle and bells.

We don't pay for online too and games are way cheaper, mods, Steam, we also have pretty much every exclusives.

So why have over 60 million people decided to buy a PS5 then? Some of you guys seem to not understand why people like consoles.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You mad reality makes sense?
The "but a GPU alone costs a bazillion dollars" doesn't make any sense man.

1. You don't need that kind of GPU to play modern games at 4K (DLSS) and 60fps, a 4070 is fine for that and that GPU doesn't cost you near that ammount of money.
2. Of course a PC is going to be more expensive than a console. Consoles are designed for gaming and nothing else, while with a PC you can do much more than just game.

Imo the problem with the Pro isn't really the price, but the fact that the gap in price between a PS5 Pro and a similarly capable PC when it comes to gaming is so small that it makes the "consoles are much more affordable than PCs" argument something of the past.

Last edited:

hinch7

Short term pain. Long time gain. You don't have to upgrade every generation to play the latest games. Nor are you tied to a particular ecosystem.

PCGamer with daft takes, as per usual.

With how much consoles have gone up, and hidden costs (subs, accessories, game prices) etc. PC's aren't all that more expensive. I'd wager most people saving money if they stick with it. Especially if you're just upgrading from a current one. You can throw in something like a 3080 in a relatively recent PC, for 300 bucks on Ebay and enjoy PS5 Pro like performance and image quality if not better. And then sell it off for a similar amount to fund your next upgrade.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The "but a GPU alone costs a bazillion dollars" doesn't make any sense man.

1. You don't need that kind of GPU to play modern games at 4K (DLSS) and 60fps, a 4070 is fine for that and that GPU doesn't cost you near that ammount of money.
2. Of course a PC is going to be more expensive than a console. Consoles are designed for gaming and nothing else, while with a PC you can do much more than just game.
A 4070 is a $550 GPU, man. In other words it's more money than every single console currently on the market. It's a huge amount of money.

And how many people are actually doing all that extra stuff on a huge desktop PC? You can run your entire life from your phone these days. Nobody needs a desktop PC anymore. You're not going to convince me that everyone buying a $500+ GPU is also some creative making art or music on their PC. In fact I think the primary reason these days to build a PC is for gaming.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
New GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA are coming out shortly after the Pro. The RTX 5060/RX 8700 XT, which the Pro will likely be comparable to will cost around $300-400. PC's value proposition is quite bad at the moment, so the fact that the Pro might be just about as bad soon enough is not a good look.

Of course, there's always a chance NVIDIA gets even greedier and that they release a 5050 as a 5060 much weaker than the Pro's GPU and ask $400 for it anyway.

Last edited:
I think these kind of comments are really dated for a while now. I don't intend to change my PS5 with pro version. Actually in the future I probably won't buy console at all now that everything is coming to PC. I put together decent enough PC and right now that is enough.

But some people don't like PC. Some people don't like consoles. Some people love them both. Just give it a rest already, "journalists". Why are they trying to justify something all the time?

People should prefer what they want and what they are comfortable with.

Even the 2tb NVME that a PS5 has it's around or over 100€.

Everyone knows that a PC with the same specs would be more expensive. And the PS5 has certain custom parts like most consoles. It's not possible to just "build a PC" to emulate a PS5 Pro. At least it's not that linear.

Short term pain. Long time gain. You don't have to upgrade every generation to play the latest games. Nor are you tied to a particular ecosystem.

PCGamer with daft takes, as per usual.
Neither with consoles nowadays? Most games on PS5 are still released on 2013 PS4. An 11 year old piece of hardware.

I really don't think PC gamers are now playing on their decade old pieces of hardware.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You know exactly what I meant and the dumb shit you wrote. Take the L.

If you need a PC to work, and your company gives you a PC, you don't need a giant expensive desktop PC that just happens to be good at playing games lol. This is obvious.

And look, a lot of creatives use Macs. A lot of coders use Macs. Laptops do a good job with a lot of this. So, point stands.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a digital console but they are just taking the piss. Fucking Sony, I'm not buying that and a disc drive.
PS5 Pro with disc drive, throw in a game I want to play and I'll bite for £699.

A 4070 is a $550 GPU, man. In other words it's more money than every single console currently on the market. It's a huge amount of money.

And how many people are actually doing all that extra stuff on a huge desktop PC? You can run your entire life from your phone these days. Nobody needs a desktop PC anymore. You're not going to convince me that everyone buying a $500+ GPU is also some creative making art or music on their PC. In fact I think the primary reason these days to build a PC is for gaming.
That's a statement right there...

A really really dumb one, but a statement nonetheless.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
If you need a PC to work, and your company gives you a PC, you don't need a giant expensive desktop PC that just happens to be good at playing games lol. This is obvious.

And look, a lot of creatives use Macs. A lot of coders use Macs. Laptops do a good job with a lot of this. So, point stands.

Your point stands only on doodoo. That much is true. I'm tired of these oblivious discussions.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
So why have over 60 million people decided to buy a PS5 then? Some of you guys seem to not understand why people like consoles.
Oh no I totally get it, I'm just reacting to the title of the thread and it's content. Consoles are totally fine and I always had one, up to the PS4 Pro.

Eszti

Banned
and a huge scam. also the 12gb vram alerady limiting it.

fun fact the rtx 4070 today is what the gtx 1060 was 2016. but that was 250-300 bucks.

192 bit bus my ass

Top Bottom