• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah, at $700 the PS5 Pro is expensive for a console, but I spent more than double that on my GPU alone

Kataploom

Gold Member
But we don't only game on pc, and if you want the same performance as a pro you don't need to spend 1500 dollar on the GPU. For that price you do 4k/60 or even 120 fps maxed out with better ray tracing and all whistle and bells.

We don't pay for online too and games are way cheaper, mods, Steam, we also have pretty much every exclusives.
We know for sure that online sub is used to recover some of the losses from PS5, I guess they count on users paying for 5 at least, which is $135 minimum so $675, but for Pro they have to account not only that it's aimed to dedicated fans and they have to prioritize per unit revenues instead of install base growth, but that also they have less time to recover some loss from PS+?

IDK, just here thinking out loud.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
you're missing the point, the price of the pro includes the controller. This isn't about what you have already or what your preferences are, this is about beating the price to deliver a comparable value. When the pro includes a $75 controller, it needs to be taken into consideration when evaluating it's price.
Then you include mouse and keyboard on PC, not controller.

Same? Thats a stretch. My 4090 can run over 240 hz. Better ray tracing, and much more power. Want games to look and play their best, it’s PC.
What I'm saying is that with a video card that costs less than a PS5 Pro, you can most likely reach and possibly surpass the quality the PS5 Pro is providing. No worries, I'm not attacking your epeen.

Stupid out of touch article. I spent less than $1000 on my PC, and it works perfectly fine for all the PC games I want to play and gives me access to a variety of other entertainment and productivity functions. The average gamer isn't spending anywhere near that much for a GPU.

MacReady13

Stupid out of touch article. I spent less than $1000 on my PC, and it works perfectly fine for all the PC games I want to play and gives me access to a variety of other entertainment and productivity functions. The average gamer isn't spending anywhere near that much for a GPU.
Spot on. Which is why they will buy a PS5 and why idiots like me who spend near on $4000 aussie dollars on a gaming PC will buy the PS5 Pro when it arrives.

IMO most of those getting OTT angry about the Pro aren't PC gamers, they're base PS5 owners who wanted Pro but can't afford or won't justify the upgrade price, thus fuelling the jealous rage.

Whatever it is, it sure ain't rational screaming at people who are buying a product because they want to buy it and can afford to.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

IMO most of those getting OTT angry about the Pro aren't PC gamers, they're base PS5 owners who wanted Pro but can't afford or won't justify the upgrade price, thus fuelling the jealous rage.

Whatever it is, it sure ain't rational screaming at people who are buying a product because they want to buy it and can afford to.
I don’t think anyone is upset at people buying the Pro. Folks are upset at Sony due to a terrible price proposition.

People buy expensive stuff all the time for all kinds of reasons.

cripterion

Gaming is a luxury. Gaming phones are expensive, console gaming is becoming more expensive and having a decent gaming is and has been freaking expensive for a good while now!
ok, but my last two PCS cost quadruple what the ps5pro costs. Whats your point? 2024 GPU prices have skyrocketed. The 4070 is $500 new. By the time you add on a CPU, 2TB of space, RAM, wifi7 and a controller, you're not getting close to 7.
Also people have to realize hardware prices are not the same everywhere .
Just took a quick look at a basic RTX 4070 : 90 000 yen. Actually the RTX 4070 FE is the same price as the PS5 Pro, 120 000 yen.

Young people in Japan working part time jobs typically earn 900-1200 yen per hour.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They probably figured that other things are expensive so might aswell charge more for a games console.

Problem is, just because a person buys an iPhone or expensive PC doesn't mean they will have money to burn to buy yet another expensive thing on top of it. It's one or the other, and frankly PCs and Smartphones do a lot more than a games console. At some point it's not gonna work out.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
In reality it’s about $150 more than the base digital PS5.
The 2TB hard drive would cost you about $100 more in the PS5
This is the best deal in gaming by far!! Better than 95% of the PCs out there.

phant0m

In reality it’s about $150 more than the base digital PS5.
The 2TB hard drive would cost you about $100 more in the PS5
This is the best deal in gaming by far!! Better than 95% of the PCs out there.
Very funny to me since I'd /much/ rather have a 2 TB SSD than a disc drive. Even if you're a 100% physical buyer you still have to install all your games on the drive, the disc just acts as a key to authorize launching the game (and speeding up install if you have crappy internet).

Everyone needs storage space, especially with big games like COD taking up 200 fucking gigs. But only physical buyers needs drives. Makes 100% sense to give everyone the bigger SSD and have the drive available as an inexpensive add-on.

That said, it's actually fucking insulting that they don't include the vertical stand. The base ps5 (even Digital version) had one and it's a $5 piece of plastic.

dano1

A Sheep
Very funny to me since I'd /much/ rather have a 2 TB SSD than a disc drive. Even if you're a 100% physical buyer you still have to install all your games on the drive, the disc just acts as a key to authorize launching the game (and speeding up install if you have crappy internet).

Everyone needs storage space, especially with big games like COD taking up 200 fucking gigs. But only physical buyers needs drives. Makes 100% sense to give everyone the bigger SSD and have the drive available as an inexpensive add-on.

That said, it's actually fucking insulting that they don't include the vertical stand. The base ps5 (even Digital version) had one and it's a $5 piece of plastic.
Yeah they definitely should have included that. Especially since that’s how they show the thing in every picture!!

But we don't only game on pc, and if you want the same performance as a pro you don't need to spend 1500 dollar on the GPU. For that price you do 4k/60 or even 120 fps maxed out with better ray tracing and all whistle and bells.

We don't pay for online too and games are way cheaper, mods, Steam, we also have pretty much every exclusives.
Well said. And agreed 100 percent.

To be frank $700 is not that much. I bought a PS5 for this price in my country (over government is the scalper here).

I believe an average middle class family anywhere in the world (and especially in a first world country like the US) can afford the Pro.

The main problem with PS Pro is not price, but value. And any sensible person will realize that the Pro doesnt offer much value as comparwd to the PC at similar price point (I can build a 4080 PC/4070 laptop near this point at just $500 more).

With Pro, you cant do anything else on it apart from gaming. And when it comes to gaming the selection of exclusive games is so few. This is where Sony has gone bonkers - the software side

To me who grew up during the 90s, it seems like a deja vu with Sony console being similar to 3DO - overpriced with lack of games library. Sony seems to be heading in the same direction.

With a gaming PC, you can video edit, emulate, mod, program, and do so much more. You cant even compare a $1000 mid range PC with a Pro.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Well said. And agreed 100 percent.

To be frank $700 is not that much. I bought a PS5 for this price in my country (over government is the scalper here).

I believe an average middle class family anywhere in the world (and especially in a first world country like the US) can afford the Pro.

The main problem with PS Pro is not price, but value. And any sensible person will realize that the Pro doesnt offer much value as comparwd to the PC at similar price point (I can build a 4080 PC/4070 laptop near this point at just $500 more).

With Pro, you cant do anything else on it apart from gaming. And when it comes to gaming the selection of exclusive games is so few. This is where Sony has gone bonkers - the software side

To me who grew up during the 90s, it seems like a deja vu with Sony console being similar to 3DO - overpriced with lack of games library. Sony seems to be heading in the same direction.

With a gaming PC, you can video edit, emulate, mod, program, and do so much more. You cant even compare a $1000 mid range PC with a Pro.
100% this. Especially the lack of interesting games and value.

But for some people it's because I am broke or upset, it's sad to see what gaming has become. I could be a billionaire I still wouldn't get a pro as I just don't see the point while I was more than happy to get a PS4 Pro.

Hawk The Slayer

Neo Member
I could afford it but I'll much rather spend double that amount on my new PC that'll mostly always be on whenever I'm home rather than 700 on a console that would most likely be collecting dust for months while waiting for another interesting game I like to come out. I know a few console users that haven't used their console for weeks or even months.

Three

Yeah they definitely should have included that. Especially since that’s how they show the thing in every picture!!
The stand they show it with in every picture is made of metal.

I don't know why they went high end on the stand but including it would have only increased the cost of the thing.

Three

The value proposition of the Ps5 Pro is apparently extremely poor - offering a small upgrade in visual capability for a very high price.
Yet people are suggesting slightly more expensive PCs in its place that do the exact same thing.

You don't have to upgrade if you don't want better visuals. You don't need to upgrade from a 3060 to a 4070 or whatever either. These are options you have and you can sell or trade in your old gear towards i if you wish. Or maybe you just didn't have a PS5 or 3060 to begin with an the value proposition is that you get the best console available that gives you midrange PC performance at a decent more attractive price.

If any member here were to write this opinion, the response they'd get is "nice, blog it".
But now that it is PC Gamer saying it is fine?
I don't get it.

Last edited:

demigod

Yet people are suggesting slightly more expensive PCs in its place that do the exact same thing.

You don't have to upgrade if you don't want better visuals. You don't need to upgrade from a 3060 to a 4070 or whatever either. These are options you have and you can sell or trade in your old gear towards i if you wish. Or maybe you just didn't have a PS5 or 3060 to begin with an the value proposition is that you get the best console available that gives you midrange PC performance at a decent more attractive price.
Let's be honest, the folks that are saying this are not PC gamers. We are not stupid to oust ourselves for overpaying Nvidia cards. I mean I agree it's overpriced but I'm not going to go into every thread bitching and whining about the price. The Marching Orders are out.

atyourservice

Neo Member
I would really be interested in a thread titled: People who are preordering the PS5 Pro. Would you consider yourself rich (-er than your country's average)?

On topic though, I think the value proposition of the Pro is only good for the people deeply embedded in the sony ecosystem. For example, someone who somehow started console gaming with the PS5/XSX probably doesn't see the point upgrading based on the games delivered in the past 4 years

Also, based on the timing, I wonder if sony was in any way hoping Concord being a huge hit would help the delivery of the pro

Top Bottom