• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah, at $700 the PS5 Pro is expensive for a console, but I spent more than double that on my GPU alone

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah but the $3,000 machine will be at least 2X as powerful as the PS5

Think About It GIF by Identity
It better be being it costs 4x as much as a PS5 Pro.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A 4070 is a $550 GPU, man. In other words it's more money than every single console currently on the market. It's a huge amount of money.
That was the point I was making. Is it more expensive? Yes. Is it better than any console alternative? Yes. Is it only for gaming? No, it can be used for more stuff.

And how many people are actually doing all that extra stuff on a huge desktop PC? You can run your entire life from your phone these days. Nobody needs a desktop PC anymore. You're not going to convince me that everyone buying a $500+ GPU is also some creative making art or music on their PC. In fact I think the primary reason these days to build a PC is for gaming.
Even if that was the case (it probably is!) you are paying more for a better experience, not just when it comes to playing the games but also because of all the other positive perks that come with PC gaming. If for example PC gaming didn't allow me to mod the games, use community patches, incredible backcompatibility, emulation and so on I would probably be a console gamer but, imo, all those positive perks justify the extra price.

So imo, when someone says "it costs much more than a console" imo the only correct argument would be "no shit sherlock, it also does much more than a console".

also
Nobody needs a desktop PC anymore
are students nowadays doing their homework and essays on their phones or what? I would assume most people at highschool or college would need at least a laptop. Come on, I'm not that old, right? :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Yeah lets compare high-end PC parts to a console, totally the same thing
The argument both ways has been about the same thing; comparing a pc build vs. a PS5 Pro...

Who the fuck cares? They aren't the same ecosystem & aren't going after the same customers either.... ffs... The price sucks, that's all to be said really... if it doesn't sell, that is a Sony problem. If you can't afford a PS5P, buy a digital PS5 for $449. PS5 & PC are NOT the same thing, especially when there are lazy ass people lile me that just wamna plug the bitch in & play and fuck all else for componants & settings

Last edited:

hinch7

Even the 2tb NVME that a PS5 has it's around or over 100€.

Everyone knows that a PC with the same specs would be more expensive. And the PS5 has certain custom parts like most consoles. It's not possible to just "build a PC" to emulate a PS5 Pro. At least it's not that linear.

Neither with consoles nowadays? Most games on PS5 are still released on 2013 PS4. An 11 year old piece of hardware.

I really don't think PC gamers are now playing on their decade old pieces of hardware.
Thats the beauty of it. You can play a lot of recent games on older systems and you can choose what parts to upgrade if its not running to your liking. Its not like you have to buy a new machine every time, to enjoy a new game or run at higher framerates or fidelity. Backwards compat and forwards compat, who gives a shit. Get a GPU to suit your budget - not hard these days.. used market, new, open box or to the moon with 4090.

Heck gamers who went with a 1080Ti all those years ago won the lottery and can still play recent games. And that released back in 2017.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Honestly what are you doing on you desktop PC? I didn't realize anyone was still using PCs like that other than for work. Do taxes or maybe fill out some online documents.
In my case, it's for gaming, work, coding and 3D modelling.

There's also video editing (those YouTube videos don't come out of nowhere), music production and more stuff.

dcx4610

That GPU is also likely double the power of the PS5 Pro though and, you get access to 40+ years of games. Also, PCs aren't just for gaming even though people try to act like they are these days.

$700 for a console that is locked to 1-2 generation of games, offers an incremental upgrade over the current system and plays the same games isn't a good value proposition.

StereoVsn

In my case, it's for gaming, work, coding and 3D modelling.

There's also video editing (those YouTube videos don't come out of nowhere), music production and more stuff.
Yep, if you want to mess around 3D printing a good PC is a must. Same with doing even small circuit board designs.

I use mine for that, AI testing, video/photo editing and so on.

Plus for gaming, the flexibility can’t be beat. Mods, patches, cheats for SP games, free online MP , and cheaper overall games.

I still have all the consoles, but PC is the one platform I wouldn’t want to lose the most.

I spent over $3000 on a LGC3 a few months ago in prep for the Pro. After seeing they want Canadians to pay almost $1200 for a disc capable PS5 Pro, I'm definitely reconsidering. I don't think they are going to have much luck at this price point bu tI can't wait to see how the launch goes.

Three

That's a statement right there...

A really really dumb one, but a statement nonetheless.
Nah he has a point in relation to this

2. Of course a PC is going to be more expensive than a console. Consoles are designed for gaming and nothing else, while with a PC you can do much more than just game.

Most people aren't building 4090 desktop PCs to send emails, surf the web, type up documents etc. Most people just have work laptops and those who require home workstations are few and far between. As he said they exist but are probably a small minority. Most consumer desktop builds with that hardware are probably primarily for gaming. Their work computers they're not even building or paying for to worry about "paying for more than just gaming".

Wildebeest

"4k" "ray tracing" graphics cards are a new wave of tech innovations where people are happy to pay four times as much for less energy efficient hardware that plays games with new tech that makes things barely run properly when in previous gens they had no problem.

Ebrietas

Neo Member
Nah he has a point in relation to this

Most people aren't building 4090 desktop PCs to send emails, surf the web, type up documents etc. Most people just have work laptops and those who require home workstations are few and far between. As he said they exist but are probably a small minority. Most consumer desktop builds with that hardware are probably primarily for gaming. Their work computers they're not even building or paying for to worry about "paying for more than just gaming".
You would think this would be obvious to most but apparently not. We're not living in 2005 anymore. For the vast majority of people, laptops/tablets/smartphones are simply much more practical and useful devices for "personal computing" than some stationary computer.

Trying to upsell some $1500 desktop build because you can also do basic PC stuff on it does not increase the value proposition over consoles, when a console user already has better devices for that purpose. You're just telling someone to spend 2-3x as much money to play the same exact games.

Crayon

There's a chink of truth to that. i see the price of the pro and I want to bail, just buying a better gpu. But then I doa little gpu shopping and... yeah those are a little pricey themselves. We've been dying for someone to launch a "cheap" $500 gpu that is seriously good. And I will be cross-shopping them once we have a better idea of what the pro can actually do.

Right now, I'm leaning gpu because 2 years from now, I'll be able to get better and/or cheaper ones. The pro will likely be the same price and just getting old.

hinch7

There's a chink of truth to that. i see the price of the pro and I want to bail, just buying a better gpu. But then I doa little gpu shopping and... yeah those are a little pricey themselves. We've been dying for someone to launch a "cheap" $500 gpu that is seriously good. And I will be cross-shopping them once we have a better idea of what the pro can actually do.

Right now, I'm leaning gpu because 2 years from now, I'll be able to get better and/or cheaper ones. The pro will likely be the same price and just getting old.
RNDA 4 (8800 XT) may be worth waiting for. Intel's Battlemage too, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont care what other people spending on their GPU or whatever but I'm not gonna waste $950 CAD + $120 for "upgrade".

I rather spend on Nintendo's next system because I'm pretty sure Monolith Soft's next game gonna new console exclusive.

Bitstream

PC is a tough pill to swallow, at the end of it all you still get the same games, just with more fps, increased resolution and effects. To date, very few PC games have ever come out where they targeted the top 1% of hardware to deliver a truly next level experience.

Crayon

RNDA 4 (8800 XT) may be worth waiting for. Intel's Battlemage too, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Rumors about 8800XT are VERY OPTIMISTIC :lollipop_squinting:. I would love if they are true but I'd also be quite surprised. If it's really $500 I'd be down because I prefer running amd. Linux here so the oss drivers make me happy. They work great but it.s mostly an aesthetic consideration for me.

And 8800XT still retains that delayed gratification advantage if I decide I can chill with Reg PS5 + 6800 for two more years. 8800XT could be under $450 by then.

TintoConCasera

PC is a tough pill to swallow, at the end of it all you still get the same games, just with more fps, increased resolution and effects.
I think there are many, many more games on PC. Not blockbusters sure, but tons of indie titles for sure.

Also, 35+ years of retrocompatibility.

To date, very few PC games have ever come out where they targeted the top 1% of hardware to deliver a truly next level experience.
That's true. I miss having a Crysis type of game that not even the best modern PCs could run.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

PC is a tough pill to swallow, at the end of it all you still get the same games, just with more fps, increased resolution and effects. To date, very few PC games have ever come out where they targeted the top 1% of hardware to deliver a truly next level experience.
I agree, but what’s the point of a700 dollar console with minor upgrades practicality on screen? I’m waiting for real next gen consoles

XXL

PC is amazing for playing older games and buying them for next to nothing.

It's a huge benefit of it.

Top Bottom