• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P Hints Possible Final Fantasy IX Remake Will be Divided into Multiple Titles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

"When you think about all of that volume, I wonder if it's possible to remake that as a single title," Yoshida says, probably alluding to the same problem Final Fantasy 7 had with its trilogy of expensive remakes. "It's a difficult one. It is a tough question."

All that "volume" could be connected by a flat, barely detailed landmass that old-school JRPGS called the world map, but giving Final Fantasy 9 the fancy remake treatment would probably mean those locations would need to be stitched together more realistically, thus inflating an already huge game.

Here We Go Again GIF

Last edited:

Boss Man

I wouldn’t mind that if they’re actually able to remake the game properly, but instead this implies to me that it will be a narrow and “streamlined” experience like the FF7 remake.

I’m not going to pay $200 over three separate games to play a dolled-up summary of an old game with no overworld or airships.

The Dragon Quest HD-2D remaster is the right way to do these IMHO. The Demon’s Souls remaster was another great one.

They should start with faithfully recreating the game, and then update the graphics as much as possible - not the other way around.

The reason people are so interested in the old games is that they’re better than the new ones. A FF9 “themed” modern FF game is neat but missing the point.

Last edited:

Comandr

Why does it need to be a “flat, barely detailed” landmass? There are a ton of great 3D world maps in existing games. I don’t think you need to go apeshit on the detail, but anything would be better than not having one at all.

Reactions: Isa

Mownoc

Yoshi-P saying he doesn't know how they'd do it in one title is not the same as "Yoshi-P hints it will be multiple titles."

He's not hinting anything. He's not involved with the project (if it is real) and says he doesn't know whether it is even in development.

All the rumours say it is less ambitious than the FF7 remake and probably pretty 1:1.

Last edited:

XXL

Bruh most of us will be dead or in retirement by the time they finish the trilogy at this rate.
I know, people said the same thing about FF7 trilogy......it wasn't true.

People just like to be dramatic about it in the name of nostalgia.

If people don't like it, go play the original versions... they didn't disintegrate.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know, people said the same thing about FF7 trilogy......it wasn't true.

At the current rate, the third game in the trilogy isn't happening before 2027, 2026 if we're INCREDIBLY lucky. That's almost 8~9 years for one project.

At this rate, if part 1 of FFIX comes out let's say 2026, it isn't ending until 2034~

I would much prefer the rumors earlier in the year that it's a remake like the Memoria mod in scale and scope and not a complete upheaval of everything in the game.

Can’t they just update the resolution on the backgrounds and up the polys a bit instead? I don’t want a full on remake.

Have you look into the Moguri mod? If not, give it a look.

Trogdor1123

At the current rate, the third game in the trilogy isn't happening before 2027, 2026 if we're INCREDIBLY lucky. That's almost 8~9 years for one project.

At this rate, if part 1 of FFIX comes out let's say 2026, it isn't ending until 2034~

I would much prefer the rumors earlier in the year that it's a remake like the Memoria mod in scale and scope and not a complete upheaval of everything in the game.

Have you look into the Moguri mod? If not, give it a look.

I did actually. It’s pretty great. I think it would be nice if they walked a bit further down that path. I sure don’t want a full on ff7 treatment for it.

Edellus

I'm such a FFIX fanboy that I love this idea.

Yes, please. Expand on FFIX all you want. Also, make an entire spin-off series of Final Fantasy games (ala Ivalice Alliance or Fabula Nova Crystallis) based off FFIX world and charm while you're at it. I'm dead serious.

Last edited:

NahaNago

They also might bundle remaster Final Fantasy 7 for the ps6, so that could push FF9 back even further. Plus, they also will be working on FF17.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought he said that was the reason it wouldn't get a Remake, he never suggested it was getting one like that.
This is different to how they've mentioned FFVIII and what they would do with it and wanting to do it which has been brought up several times.
And even that doesn't mean they're doing it.
I think your setting yourself up for disappointment here.

Fbh

To address his actual comment instead of just the title, there is nothing wrong with using and oldschool JRPG overworld, not everything needs to be turned into this big fully explorable modern open world.

You can make a beautiful and functional oldschool overworld just like Ni No Kuni, it doesn't need to be a "flat and barely detailed" map.
giphy.gif

I had my issues with that game, but the overworld certainly wasn't one of them.

Last edited:

Astray

This kinda kills these rumors tbh, which saddens me greatly as FF9 is my favorite.

I think Square has a massive problem with keeping budgets and egos under control.

Sometimes you should just remake or remaster the material in front of you without having it be some grand $300m project.

What Atlus did with the P3R is what they should be doing here, just do what is necessary and make it sellable enough.

cireza

Fuck this shit.

Make a new Final Fantasy, XVII, a proper entry, a single game, a good game reminiscent of the roots of the series. Something that will look and feel like VII, VIII, X, XIII trilogy, XV. Not some single player action Game of Thrones rip-off. Not some remake divided in three bloated, tedious, boring games or whatever.

Last edited:

Deerock71

We need 9 bloated games made out of this. Not 3. I want to help them choose softer or economical toilet paper. I want them to dispose or eat their trimmed toenail clippings. I want subroutines of actual paint drying when they repaint the hull of their ship.

Last edited:

wvnative

This.

If people want to play the same game as the original, play the original.

I think a lot of people also don't realize, you can pretty much get a faithful remake experience via mods. The original game has had so many incredible mods I never thought possible that greatly enhance it. we got voice acting, with the main cast sounding pretty similar to remake, more realistic character models, updated UI/HUD, tons of mods that enhance and alter battle mechanics etc...

and it's all so easy to install.

A faithful remake from square enix would be redundant at this point.

Why is 8 not getting a remake?
Cause it sucks, it sold well due to the hype from the previous title and time has been kind to FFIX which came out when the hype was all about the PS2 and people were still recovering from whatever that was for FFVIII. Little by little people saw the light about FFIX and it's one of then most loved titles in the franchise currently.

Next question.

Kacho

95a31g.jpg

It's one of the best games of 2024, regardless of how you feel about it.
Why are you using this as an argument against my opinion as if it would change my mind? It would be like me replying to you with Rebirth underperformed and fewer people will play it overall.

Top Bottom