• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi-P Hints Possible Final Fantasy IX Remake Will be Divided into Multiple Titles

Bernardougf

Cause it sucks, it sold well due to the hype from the previous title and time has been kind to FFIX which came out when the hype was all about the PS2 and people were still recovering from whatever that was for FFVIII. Little by little people saw the light about FFIX and it's one of then most loved titles in the franchise currently.

Next question.
Compared to the absolute dogshit games they made since XIII .. VIII is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yoshi P go home you are drunk.

Meanwhile in Hyrule....

zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-surface-map-all-shrine-locations.jpg

Depths_Map.png

totk-stone-tablet-full-sky-map.jpg

All one game btw.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
“Remember those great old Final Fantasy games? The ones that made us famous and that kick the crap out of the stuff we make today? Well it’s impossible to make that kind of game with modern AAA standards (cutting edge graphics, full voice acting and motion capture, etc).

“Should we settle for merely great, but not AAA, production values? Nah, instead let’s split it into multiple parts and take a couple decades to remake one fucking game.”

How disgusting. They seem to have lost the ability to make whole and complete games.

This approach absolutely ruined FF7, filled with meaningless side objectives and incredibly unfun mini games in every area, not to mentioned the literal copy paste exploration activities. Genshin impact has better and more engaging, and more novel exploration then FF7 remake.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Part of the reason why Rebirth isn't selling as well as remake is people are waiting for the 3rd one before they buy play it. This will mean FF9 part 1 will suffer the same sales fuckup is Square decides to be dumb with this. This game also needs to be playable on Switch and whatever Switch 2 ends up being.

Bernardougf

“Remember those great old Final Fantasy games? The ones that made us famous and that kick the crap out of the stuff we make today? Well it’s impossible to make that kind of game with modern AAA standards (cutting edge graphics, full voice acting and motion capture, etc).

“Should we settle for merely great, but not AAA, production values? Nah, instead let’s split it into multiple parts and take a couple decades to remake one fucking game.”
And say afterwards that "sales didnt meet expectations"

How about a AA HD2d simple remake of FFIX in just one game keeping the same old structure... less expensive.. and see how the market responds.

Generic

Cause it sucks, it sold well due to the hype from the previous title and time has been kind to FFIX which came out when the hype was all about the PS2 and people were still recovering from whatever that was for FFVIII. Little by little people saw the light about FFIX and it's one of then most loved titles in the franchise currently.

Next question.
8 is better than 9 in every aspect. 9 had the worst loading times of all time.

RPCGamer

Gaming isn't bad now.

Stop listening to grifters on YT.
Bloat in modern games (particularly triple A) is definitely a thing. They've been convinced unless it's 50+ hours, it's bad. It's weird too. In any other media, you'd bring in an editor to cut the fat and remain focused on what the media is trying to do. Games? They just throw anything and everything in.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

It's weird and disheartening watching Square sacrifice everything on the altar of making FF cutting-edge. World maps, airships, towns, party members, the entire structure of a complete game. They desperately need to take cues from companies like Nintendo and From, and lean on art direction instead of raw production values, and go back to putting the needs of the game first.

40 hours in Alexandria.

Second game finishes when you get to the Lost Continent.

Third game ends at Memoria.

$15 DLC epilogue of Memoria and the REAL final boss: Necron.

Would rather be crying me eyes out over an AIDS diagnosis than experience the FF VII Remakes and XVI again.

Last edited:

XXL

Bloat in modern games (particularly triple A) is definitely a thing. They've been convinced unless it's 50+ hours, it's bad. It's weird too. In any other media, you'd bring in an editor to cut the fat and remain focused on what the media is trying to do. Games? They just throw anything and everything in.
I agree with this. Games can be bloated.

XXL

I disagree. I own every system under the sun and buy the games I'm interested in.

What's ruining gaming is people being overly dramatic, negative, nostalgic and extremely entitled (along with political ideologues involvedin development).

If you don't like it, don't buy it and go play the original....it's still available if you love it so fucking much.

StereoVsn

Bruh most of us will be dead or in retirement by the time they finish the trilogy at this rate.

Not every game needs to have a 100 million dollar scope. Some of their best output is the smaller HD 2D type stuff.
Yep, especially for something like FFIX that sort of a smaller remake would have been perfect.

Personally, I've really enjoyed the way Square Enix has expanded Final Fantasy VII in Remake and Rebirth. The fact that Final Fantasy IX is in many ways homage to the oldest FF games, however, makes me think keeping a possible remake simpler might fit it better. But, the more things you choose to keep the same the less reason there is to do a remake. To be honest, FFIX may be the most "already complete" game of the whole series.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Y
Yoshi-P saying he doesn't know how they'd do it in one title is not the same as "Yoshi-P hints it will be multiple titles."

He's not hinting anything. He's not involved with the project (if it is real) and says he doesn't know whether it is even in development.

All the rumours say it is less ambitious than the FF7 remake and probably pretty 1:1.
Yes, he does know.

SkylineRKR

In the end i prefer HD 2D. Star Ocean 2 was brilliant. FFVII is okay but still not finished over 4 years in. I can't say its better than the original. I dislike as much as i like about it.

RPCGamer

Personally, I've really enjoyed the way Square Enix has expanded Final Fantasy VII in Remake and Rebirth. The fact that Final Fantasy IX is in many ways homage to the oldest FF games, however, makes me think keeping a possible remake simpler might fit it better. But, the more things you choose to keep the same the less reason there is to do a remake. To be honest, FFIX may be the most "already complete" game of the whole series.
The Yakuza games seem to have it right. They're RPGs that are long, but most of them have a shorter story but longer side quests etc.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I disagree. I own every system under the sun and buy the games I'm interested in.

What's ruining gaming is people being overly dramatic, negative, nostalgic and extremely entitled (along with political ideologues involvedin development).

If you don't like it, don't buy it and go play the original....it's still available if you love it so fucking much.
Yeah I aint buying.. and according to EE projections and sales data a lot of people are not buying either. So your disagreement does fuck all to improve sales for them. But .. good for you they are not interested in improving.. so they will serve the same modern shit as always for you to eat up.. enjoy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In the end i prefer HD 2D. Star Ocean 2 was brilliant. FFVII is okay but still not finished over 4 years in. I can't say its better than the original. I dislike as much as i like about it.
Yeah that's the thing though. People want something like Star Ocean 2 Remake. Same exact game just up the graphics and maybe add in some QoL improvements.

Instead they alter it in such a way it's a different game entirely. Usually much worse.

Top Bottom