• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

you are all a bunch of misogynists

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm still on a ban cooldown though so you're not allowed to touch me yet

denzel washington checkers GIF

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Too bad it doesn't help selling the game though. Getting Gillete ad vibes here.

Dont worry, that mass populace of female videogame players that they're always trying to convince us exists will support Outlaws. You know, the multimillions of them that love playing single player story driven games on expensive hardware. Not the ones that play little freeware games on their cellphone.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Also from the article "While the gambit to have Kay Vess be the main protagonist seemingly did not pay off it should not be surprising especially to Ubisoft given the Ubisoft Quebec’s Creative Scott Phillips revealed that when Assassin’s Creed Odyssey players were given the choice to choose between Alexios or Kassandra over two thirds of them chose the male character Alexios."

That's surprising, I thought I was always in the minority when I chose Alexios.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This was just a journey of "oh, an account suicide," to "Oh, clickbait," to "nah, not REALLY clickbait, I guess," to....

Well

I'm a radical third wave feminist now.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Fess

I mean, I love beautiful women. Is that allowed? No? Sorry then.

If someone deliberately remove their beauty in a game or take away curves or feminine behaviour, then yeah, I’ll get cranky. There is just no upside to that from my perspective. It’s really not deeper than that.

If I was a woman I’m sure I would want beautiful and manly men in games instead. Or beautiful women I could pretend to be in my escapism.
Why are we making things more complicated than they has to be?

Also, I don’t see who the target audience is when making a woman look less beautiful or less feminine. Who would see that as something positive? Is it the mysterious ”modern audience” who, going by games bombing, don’t buy games but likes to be outraged a lot? Maybe stop aiming for that tiny audience and games would sell more.

Also from the article "While the gambit to have Kay Vess be the main protagonist seemingly did not pay off it should not be surprising especially to Ubisoft given the Ubisoft Quebec’s Creative Scott Phillips revealed that when Assassin’s Creed Odyssey players were given the choice to choose between Alexios or Kassandra over two thirds of them chose the male character Alexios."

That's surprising, I thought I was always in the minority when I chose Alexios.
I thought the same thing…. Turns out when the game came out and all the major media sites were posting reviews/impressions/gameplay they all chose Kassandra and convinced us of this…

you know there are many many reasons why someone might not buy a starwars game other than "herp derp not playing a girl, girls are icky yuck". I am a huge stawars fan been a huge fan of starwars since I was 10 years old. However whilst I am a huge starwars fan I am NOT a Ubisoft fan. I like my PC way too much to install anything from that festering piece of shit publisher called Ubisoft. Just for the record I have no problem with playing female characters all my Mass Effect playthroughs are femshep and where I can if I can create a custom character I always create female characters. I mainly do this because I like strong female characters and totally NOT because if I am gonna be staring at a virtual arse onscreen for hours on end it is gonna be a damn female one, honest really,

Radical_3d

I think that the game has more problems of game design than problems of huge misogynists. I know that because I am one and what makes me doubt is the game breaking bug that renders the disc version useless and the generic Ubi design for missions, not that the star is a girl.

dottme

I'm sure insulting all your customer (and at least for me me, that's not why I don't want to buy this game) is the best way to sell your game. :(
It's like Concord, there's a lot of reason this game isn't selling as expected but let focus on the one that makes more buzz.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yep. I thought this was some asylum member that came back to "stick it to us"

Seems we got that too...

Jimmy Fallon Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

MarV0

Neo Member
To all of you that kept calling her beautiful and stunning and saying how it's not her fault at all.

Hope this was a good lesson of what happens when you SIMP for a woman.

Don't worry we've all been there.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m not sure if many posting here bothered to read the actual article, but she isn’t speaking about any backlash for the scan itself, or about the game or even gamer reaction to Star Wars Outlaws.

It’s a whole other discussion whether or not you feel she has a point with ‘there’s some misogyny in the videogame industry’ but posts in the first page going “we have a right to be upset about her avatar looking like a goblin” are an indictment on the comprehension levels here.

Thread title is a troll job, since she definitely doesn’t seem to be talking about gamers, let alone forum contributors.

Last edited:

laynelane

She then bizarrely posited, “When they go, ‘Oh, this is a cool character, I wonder where they’re from?’ and then they do the research, I just want people to feel seen and if I can be in any of those categories as a woman, a woman of colour, as an immigrant, as a Latina, any of those are so meaningful for someone who enters a franchise as big as Star Wars.”

That would be applicable if the in-game model actually looked like her. They only category Kay fits is the "woman" category. I get where Humberly is coming from - if you read the article, she speaks quite a bit about representation - but the fact remains that the character does not look like her. So her gushing about what it means to her comes across as strange.

As for the rest of it, women have been represented in video games for a long time now. That "misogynistic" industry gave rise to Samus, Lara Croft, Ellie, Princess Peach, Aloy, Jill Valentine, Ada Wong, Claire Redfield, etc. In the past, yes, it was difficult to sell a female character as a headliner but that hasn't been the case for a long time now. Her and the rest of the people who think like her really need to get with the times.

Top Bottom