• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

you are all a bunch of misogynists

Topher

Gold Member
I’m not sure if many posting here bothered to read the actual article, but she isn’t speaking about any backlash for the scan itself, or about the game or even gamer reaction to Star Wars Outlaws.

It’s a whole other discussion whether or not you feel she has a point with ‘there’s some misogyny in the videogame industry’ but posts in the first page going “we have a right to be upset about her avatar looking like a goblin” are an indictment on the comprehension levels here.

Thread title is a troll job, since she definitely doesn’t seem to be talking about gamers, let alone forum contributors.

People can have their own takes on "misogyny" if it doesn't directly address what she is saying. I and others believe taking someone as beautiful as she is and twisting them into this Kay Vess character is another example of "misogyny" this is far too prevalent in the video game industry. It isn't an indictment of "comprehension levels" to make an independent point on its own.

Davevil

get-out-leave.gif

I’m not sure if many posting here bothered to read the actual article, but she isn’t speaking about any backlash for the scan itself, or about the game or even gamer reaction to Star Wars Outlaws.

It’s a whole other discussion whether or not you feel she has a point with ‘there’s some misogyny in the videogame industry’ but posts in the first page going “we have a right to be upset about her avatar looking like a goblin” are an indictment on the comprehension levels here.

Thread title is a troll job, since she definitely doesn’t seem to be talking about gamers, let alone forum contributors.
I am sure just through sheer odds there is mysogeny in the gaming industry. It's about 90% men working in it. Doesn't make it right but it's getting tedious hearing about it all the time. I work in the cosmetics industry. I'm a guy and I have been called everything, even told that my opinion is not valid because I am a guy, so what would I know about products mainly consumed by women. Most women I work with are decent and not remotely sexist, but in an industry that's about 90% female, again through just odds alone you will have misandrists. This will probably always be the case, therefore you will have articles like this till the end of time.

Ozriel

M$FT
People can have their own takes on "misogyny" if it doesn't directly address what she is saying. I and others believe taking someone as beautiful as she is and twisting them into this Kay Vess character is another example of "misogyny" this is far too prevalent in the video game industry. It isn't an indictment of "comprehension levels" to make an independent point on its own.

Hardly an independent point, since it’s being used in this thread to attack her. Last I checked, she isn’t a modeler at Ubisoft.
Not to mention multiple responses assuming her comment was about the backlash to the Kay Vess scan.

I've never been into Ubisoft. I assume their glory days were the PS2 Era. For me their best game is ZombiU. Rayman is great too of course but I only dabbled in the IP.

As an outsider, their best IP IMO is FarCry. I watched my brother play part 3 alot on the PS3 and it seemed like a great game. The cult one seemed awesome too when I watched a fellow gaf'r play it via screen share. I do want to play that one at some point.

As for Assassin's Creed. That series has always been hot garbage to me. I played 1 and 3 and good grief, just awful. I know the Italian protagonist ones seem to be considered the best but 1 and 3 were so bad I have no desire to ever touch the IP.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no clue why they are such a big deal, they've always come off as incredibly mid with a few great games from time to time. They never came of as consistent enough for me to buy their games blind of get excited to their scheduled releases.

Topher

Gold Member
Hardly an independent point, since it’s being used in this thread to attack her. Last I checked, she isn’t a modeler at Ubisoft.
Not to mention multiple responses assuming her comment was about the backlash to the Kay Vess scan.

Eh....then you should respond to who you are talking about to make your point. This reply to no one but wag your finger at everyone makes no sense.

I know my initial post in this thread was an independent point not related directly to what she said.

Last edited:

I didn't even read the OP. I just see the word misogyny and it flips my incel switch

I bothered to read her quotes, at the risk of my mental health. What she says is full retard. Period.

ryan13ts

No where in that does she say “ALL gamers or the industry” are misogynist. It’s clear as day that’s not what she’s saying, yet you still pull this nonsense.

The greatest irony though is that this bad faith garbage, along with some of the TRULY misogynistic bile responses here, happen to be the exact pocket of gamers/community she IS talking about. All you’ve done is prove her correct.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
The game sold bad because they released a beta as the final product. Also, photos of the main character was weirding people out.

They also tried to force people to get the season pass with the deluxe editions.

CherryFalls

Banned
No where in that does she say “ALL gamers or the industry” are misogynist. It’s clear as day that’s not what she’s saying, yet you still pull this nonsense.

The greatest irony though is that this bad faith garbage, along with some of the TRULY misogynistic bile responses here, happen to be the exact pocket of gamers/community she IS talking about. All you’ve done is prove her correct.
I think you got lost, Reddit is that way
pngtree-poke-or-direction-finger-gesture-png-image_5247311.png

laynelane

I mean, I love beautiful women. Is that allowed? No? Sorry then.

If someone deliberately remove their beauty in a game or take away curves or feminine behaviour, then yeah, I’ll get cranky. There is just no upside to that from my perspective. It’s really not deeper than that.

If I was a woman I’m sure I would want beautiful and manly men in games instead. Or beautiful women I could pretend to be in my escapism.
Why are we making things more complicated than they has to be?

Also, I don’t see who the target audience is when making a woman look less beautiful or less feminine. Who would see that as something positive? Is it the mysterious ”modern audience” who, going by games bombing, don’t buy games but likes to be outraged a lot? Maybe stop aiming for that tiny audience and games would sell more.

I don't think men and women are different in this regard. As an example, I played a game with a friend where you could create your own character. She created a character that looked like her - but with the attractiveness dialed up to 11 out of 10. Other women I played with were similar or had no preference. Yet there's this small contingent of men and women that insist on using women characters as their personal battle ground. It's incredibly off-putting and backwards. It also leads to this backlash against female characters and women themselves which is unfair and undeserved.

Last edited:

Wolzard

Neo Member
That would be applicable if the in-game model actually looked like her. They only category Kay fits is the "woman" category. I get where Humberly is coming from - if you read the article, she speaks quite a bit about representation - but the fact remains that the character does not look like her. So her gushing about what it means to her comes across as strange.

As for the rest of it, women have been represented in video games for a long time now. That "misogynistic" industry gave rise to Samus, Lara Croft, Ellie, Princess Peach, Aloy, Jill Valentine, Ada Wong, Claire Redfield, etc. In the past, yes, it was difficult to sell a female character as a headliner but that hasn't been the case for a long time now. Her and the rest of the people who think like her really need to get with the times.

And it seems to me to be an exclusively feminine concern, since men feel represented even with a slime.

f66.jpg

Fahdis

The first page or so of this thread kinda proves her point. But I think she's a little misguided.

Folk aren't angry or upset that we're playing as a woman in that Star Wars game. Folk are angry that they took your face, gave you a mop of a haircut and mo-capped you into a 3/10 version in the video game for no good reason other than...diversity? 🤔

Usually, human-based video game character models are designed into better looking versions of the actor/actress.. but they did the reverse with her, and for what reason?

She looks like a 4 max and then they turned her into a 3. With these comments she's a 2.

laynelane

And it seems to me to be an exclusively feminine concern, since men feel represented even with a slime.

f66.jpg

Not all girls are the same is the point I'm making. In fact, many are similar to men in this regard. They also like well-written characters and games/movies/shows. They also don't need to see themselves in the end product to enjoy it. There's been an influx of bullshit saying otherwise, but that's not coming from the millions upon millions of women in the world. It's from a small group that have their own ideology which they insist on inserting into media.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Correct. She doesn't say all gamers are misogynist. She says, and I quote:

"Yes, to be a leading woman not just in a Star Wars story but in the video game industry, which also tends to have a lot of limitations and misogyny and kind of in-and-out politics of who can be a part of it and who you want to play as.”

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. To start with, it's too vague. In what regard is the industry misogynist? A vast number of games now have women front and centre and it's been this way for a while. We can say that some gamers are misogynist, but that's not the industry as a whole.

Barakov

not acording to me but according to Star Wars Outlaws Actress Humberly González

“Yes, to be a leading woman not just in a Star Wars story but in the video game industry, which also tends to have a lot of limitations and misogyny and kind of in-and-out politics of who can be a part of it and who you want to play as.”

“I am incredibly proud of the team having chosen someone like me, but also only me, that there isn’t a male counterpart to the story of Star Wars Outlaws that we are focusing on a female point of view of a scoundrel story because we’ve only really ever seen males in a scoundrel position,”

and you guys still buy their games
I'm never playing this game. Fuck this game, Fuck Ubisoft, Fuck the model. Also Fuck anyone who keeps shoving this shit down gamer's throats.

and you guys still buy their games
Im Not GIF

laynelane

Correct. She doesn't say all gamers are misogynist. She says, and I quote:

"Yes, to be a leading woman not just in a Star Wars story but in the video game industry, which also tends to have a lot of limitations and misogyny and kind of in-and-out politics of who can be a part of it and who you want to play as.”

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. To start with, it's too vague. In what regard is the industry misogynist? A vast number of games now have women front and centre and it's been this way for a while. We can say that some gamers are misogynist, but that's not the industry as a whole.

I remember back around 2013, it came out that the developers of The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite had to fight to get their lead female characters on the game box. Ellie ended up on the cover and Elizabeth ended up on the back cover. Execs at the time didn't think gamers would buy a game with a girl/woman on the box cover. They were wrong, of course, but even that attitude doesn't come across as misogynistic to me. It was a misread of the customer base, for sure, but it wasn't rooted in hatred of women. Needless to say, the current industry is far removed from that idea as well. I don't agree with her statement, to be frank. The word "misogyny" just seems like a buzzword at this point with the way it's being used.

Sentenza

Insults audience

"
That would teach them. Surely they'll buy our game now."
I swear. Insults from these people lost all meaning at this point.
They can call you a sexist, racist, transphobic, ableist or what else and almost no one is batting an eyelid anymore.

It's not incidental that the only places where they "control the discourse" and they don't come off as ridiculous in a discussion are the ones where they can physically silence opposing voices (banning/muting on social media and forums, shouting people who can't talk back out of classrooms, etc).

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member

Locked Out Youre Blocked GIF

Last edited:

YuLY

I've never been into Ubisoft. I assume their glory days were the PS2 Era.
Some people would agree, but you can also make a case for the PS360 era:
-Assassins Creed 2 + Brotherhood (best ACs - Ezio, enough said)
-Rainbow Six Vegas 1+2 (these are still beloved to this day, still mad they cancelled Patriots...)
-Far Cry 3 (the best one which became a template for a lot of open world game the following decade)
-Splinter Cell Blacklist (this game is underrated tbh, I only put it behind Chaos Theory)
-Rayman Legends (arguably the best one)

They still made great games a decade ago, I feel like their downfall started with the Watch Dogs downgrade fiasco and that bullshit trailer they put out when the game looked like it was an earlier gen when it launched. Then they cancelled campaigns in the next Rainbow Six and made it a competitive shooter with Siege, then Splinter Cell went dormant for over a decade, Ghost Recon Wildlands was actually pretty cool for the type of game they made but then Breakpoint was a disaster an always online trash with so many bugs at launch and so many other fumbles. Something happened to them around 2013-2014.

Top Bottom