• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

you are all a bunch of misogynists

Yerd

I don't know why you guys listen to this dumb shit.
I mean, she's not wrong. A lot of gamers out there are emotionally stunted, one-dimensional people. It really is the ultimate escapist hobby after all.

Then again, we don't owe anyone a living. We pay to be entertained, not to be preached to or endorse your trendy ideology. Sell me a product I want and I'll buy it. Otherwise shut up.
If those are the people that buy games, why do they refuse to make games they want?

We don't have enough toddlers drinking beer. We should make beer for toddlers. Nevermind the current market. We need to tap into this new group that doesn't like it, doesn't buy it, doesn't want it, doesn't need it, can't even drink it.

star-wars-space.gif

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Is it so hard to just have some basic character choices or creator? You can keep your story/traits and all that, hell even the look and more. When you look at the character creator for Cyberpunk or similar does it really affect the story or gameplay that much? Nope. There's no need to push a specific character at gamers. It's a different medium we enjoy inserting ourselves into.

Ubisoft games get boring during the 2nd or 3rd act for me so I avoid them, it has nothing to do with the gender of your character.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, the gaming industry has problems.
But I don't know of any industry that has so much hate for it's consumer base.
And it's not just one game and a few devs. Every week some studio or dev comes out attacking gamers.

I never saw Coca-cola viciously attacking consumers for not buying New-Coke. Or Ford, or Macdonalds, or Nike, or any other company.
Only in the gaming industry do we see the people making games, insulting their own clients, on a regular basis.
Wrong. It happens in Hollywood too.

Raven117

I didn’t buy the game because it didn’t look interesting enough to me. Not really a stealth fan. Also, heard the story was middling.

It has absolutely nothing to do with a female lead.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Correct. She doesn't say all gamers are misogynist. She says, and I quote:

"Yes, to be a leading woman not just in a Star Wars story but in the video game industry, which also tends to have a lot of limitations and misogyny and kind of in-and-out politics of who can be a part of it and who you want to play as.”

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. To start with, it's too vague. In what regard is the industry misogynist? A vast number of games now have women front and centre and it's been this way for a while. We can say that some gamers are misogynist, but that's not the industry as a whole.

Yeah, it's complicated. And the way the video games tends to look and operate differs wildly depending on if you're talking about the people actually working in it, or the enthusiasts. The industry itself, I'd argue, is far cattier and less-accepting of people who don't fit an image than the fans are... despite how random forum/social media vitriol might make it look.

Neolombax

I think people didn't buy the game because its boring? I didn't buy it because it didn't have lightsabers or proper space combat. Couldn't care less about the gender of the main character.

Hyet

Neo Member
I don't think we should take this claims too seriously, clearly the preassure of being the first woman ever in a videogame got to her. The industry just needs time adjusting, and, hey, maybe next time the devs get her face right!

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I remember back around 2013, it came out that the developers of The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite had to fight to get their lead female characters on the game box. Ellie ended up on the cover and Elizabeth ended up on the back cover. Execs at the time didn't think gamers would buy a game with a girl/woman on the box cover. They were wrong, of course, but even that attitude doesn't come across as misogynistic to me. It was a misread of the customer base, for sure, but it wasn't rooted in hatred of women. Needless to say, the current industry is far removed from that idea as well. I don't agree with her statement, to be frank. The word "misogyny" just seems like a buzzword at this point with the way it's being used.

I don't believe that. Women have been on the covers of games well before TloU and Bioshock.

Also, do developers even have a say on the cover art? Isn't that down to the publisher's marketing team?

laynelane

I don't believe that. Women have been on the covers of games well before TloU and Bioshock.

Also, do developers even have a say on the cover art? Isn't that down to the publisher's marketing team?

After doing some research, I was mistaken about Bioshock Infinite. It appears it was the developer who went with the eventual box art. He didn't think gamers would be interested if it didn't have a dude holding a gun.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

After doing some research, I was mistaken about Bioshock Infinite. It appears it was the developer who went with the eventual box art. He didn't think gamers would be interested if it didn't have a dude holding a gun.

"I know I’ve been in discussions where we’ve been asked to push Ellie to the back and everyone at Naughty Dog just flat-out refused.”

That doesn't sound like a fight. It sounds like somebody suggested putting Joel, the main player protagonist, front and center. ND disagreed, probably explained their rationale and got what they wanted.

Not exactly a case of misogyny.

Fahdis

you know there are many many reasons why someone might not buy a starwars game other than "herp derp not playing a girl, girls are icky yuck". I am a huge stawars fan been a huge fan of starwars since I was 10 years old. However whilst I am a huge starwars fan I am NOT a Ubisoft fan. I like my PC way too much to install anything from that festering piece of shit publisher called Ubisoft. Just for the record I have no problem with playing female characters all my Mass Effect playthroughs are femshep and where I can if I can create a custom character I always create female characters. I mainly do this because I like strong female characters and totally NOT because if I am gonna be staring at a virtual arse onscreen for hours on end it is gonna be a damn female one, honest really,

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

laynelane

"I know I’ve been in discussions where we’ve been asked to push Ellie to the back and everyone at Naughty Dog just flat-out refused.”

That doesn't sound like a fight. It sounds like somebody suggested putting Joel, the main player protagonist, front and center. ND disagreed, probably explained their rationale and got what they wanted.

Not exactly a case of misogyny.

My initial point was that the resistance to putting Ellie on the cover (in the placement the devs wanted her to be) was that it wasn't rooted in misogyny. It was a misread of the customer base who actually had no problem with it. The same goes for Bioshock Infinite. The assumption that gamers wouldn't accept a female character on the cover/placed prominently on the cover was incorrect.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Her looking like an hobgoblin in cinematics is really the last problem of the game (she is also flat as a surfboard), i could fill a book with all the mongoloid game design choices.

Lando look like a ps3 character btw, massive really is shit with human faces in general, avatar and division were the same.

Last edited:

FewRope

>Release a piece of shit of a game

>Blame misogynist gamers

Man, I wish I was a Ubi dev so I can blame everything but the company culture

FewRope

I mean, she's not wrong. A lot of gamers out there are emotionally stunted, one-dimensional people. It really is the ultimate escapist hobby after all.

Then again, we don't owe anyone a living. We pay to be entertained, not to be preached to or endorse your trendy ideology. Sell me a product I want and I'll buy it. Otherwise shut up.
She is not wrong, but the criticism against the game go beyond the weird crusade against her ingame model, the game is legit dogshit

stn

Personally, I'm waiting for a very deep sale to buy the game. I see no point in paying full price for a title that's been scoring around 7/10, and is made by Ubisoft.

Zacfoldor

How long until they sell Ubisoft to MS so they can mine the IP and close all the studios?

Last edited:
Top Bottom