• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Impotaku

Seems pretty simple to update. Just incase anyone wants to do it but isn't too clued up on Japanese.

Download update file from the youtunes site, copy it to the root of the SD card you are going to use, then with the power off insert the SD card into the U watch and power it on. If everythings ok on the card & it can find the update file It will let you know it's ready to be updated by saying update ready (koushin yooi)

Press the white button to hear what version of firmware your watch has, should be version 1.

Now press & hold the white button till the watch says update start (koushin hajime) then let go, it will then start flashing the LED & making noises, once it's finished updating it will say update stop (koushin tomare)

Now you can press the white button again to see what version your watch now has it should be saying version 2. Now just power off & remove the SD card and keep it for later when you need to update again when a newer version of the update firmware is released.

And that's pretty much it. Also you are warned not to take the SD card out while it's updating, i can't imagine that it wll be good to interrupt the update progress while running so i don't think you should turn the power off either.

I read somewhere Youkai Watch was premiering on Disney XD in the first days of October. Is it true? When exactly? Can't wait to watch closely how this phenomenon grows (or not) in the west.

Tusk

Oh what, the update is out? Guess I'll have to get around to doing that tomorrow.

I also got around to looking at that tenso site, made an account and gonna order some stuff soon. Thanks for telling me about it Impotaku.

Edit: AND the anime is starting soon?? Pretty excited. Saw the commercial earlier today, but it didn't say any sort of date. Gonna be hard getting used to Keita/Nates VA. Worked with Noby, but not really feeling it with his character.

Welp, went ahead and did the update now. It's really cool that he dialogue for the Usapyon medal changes with the update.

Impotaku

Oh what, the update is out? Guess I'll have to get around to doing that tomorrow.

I also got around to looking at that tenso site, made an account and gonna order some stuff soon. Thanks for telling me about it Impotaku.

Edit: AND the anime is starting soon?? Pretty excited. Saw the commercial earlier today, but it didn't say any sort of date. Gonna be hard getting used to Keita/Nates VA. Worked with Noby, but not really feeling it with his character.

Welp, went ahead and did the update now. It's really cool that he dialogue for the Usapyon medal changes with the update.

If you need any help searching for youkai stuff on amazon japan, just give us a shout.

Tusk

So, I watched the first episode of youkai watch in english.
Was gonna post about it hours ago when I watched it but accidently passed out lol

Anyway, it was pretty good. Was sad that they shortened the opening song, and I really can't see myself getting used to the VA's some of them are pretty bad.

But the fact they actually used the original OST instead of making their own unique thing makes up for all that.

Meffer

Yeah they a fantastic job dubbing this. I wasn't cringing at all. VA was good and the changes felt natural like the parents arguing over the greek yogurt instead of pudding.

ChrisDM

For those who have watched Yo-Kai Watch subbed and are now watching the dubbed version on Disney XD, and I know we're only 3 episodes in, has there been any significant differences or things removed other than the name changes?

I'm really into this franchise since I began to hear about it months ago and I'm at the point now with free time that I was thinking of watching the subbed ones so I can see the movie(s?) as well. Thoughts? :]

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For those who have watched Yo-Kai Watch subbed and are now watching the dubbed version on Disney XD, and I know we're only 3 episodes in, has there been any significant differences or things removed other than the name changes?

I'm really into this franchise since I began to hear about it months ago and I'm at the point now with free time that I was thinking of watching the subbed ones so I can see the movie(s?) as well. Thoughts? :]

I haven't watched the sub, but from what I read not much has changed.
They skated around one character drinking alcohol but it was pretty clear he was drunk.

ChrisDM

I haven't watched the sub, but from what I read not much has changed.
They skated around one character drinking alcohol but it was pretty clear he was drunk.

Hahah I think I'm actually watching that episode right now
(Episode 3? With the MFD?)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hahah I think I'm actually watching that episode right now
(Episode 3? With the MFD?)

HFD, yes.
Found another instance where one of the side-characters has his buttcrack exposed in the original, and in the dub it's covered up by his underwear. It's kind of weird since the dub dialogue still says his buttcrack is exposed.

ChrisDM

HFD, yes.
Found another instance where one of the side-characters has his buttcrack exposed in the original, and in the dub it's covered up by his underwear. It's kind of weird since the dub dialogue still says his buttcrack is exposed.

Woops, slipped my mind that fast. :(

& I was just going to go check the original after I was done with this episode. That moment was very strange considering the dub said it and really stood out.

Meffer

So my friend told me Hasbro showed off their YW toy line at the New York Comicon yesterday and gave more details what the prices and merchandise will be. The date is spring 2016.

The watch will be $20 with two exclusive medals (Jibanyan and Whisper from the looks of it).

The medals will be sold in packs of 3 for $3. Vinyl figures and plushes for $15 and $10 respectively. And a collection book for medals and other things as well.

Here's the article detailing the info: http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015/10/07/hasbro-reveal-yo-kai-watch-toys-launching-in-spring-2016/

ChrisDM

So my friend told me Hasbro showed off their YW toy line at the New York Comicon yesterday and gave more details what the prices and merchandise will be. The date is spring 2016.

The watch will be $20 with two exclusive medals (Jibanyan and Whisper from the looks of i)t.

The medals will be sold in packs of 3 for $3. Vinyl figures and plushes for $15 and $10 respectively. And a collection book for medals and other things as well.

Here's the article detailing the info: http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015/10/07/hasbro-reveal-yo-kai-watch-toys-launching-in-spring-2016/

There goes my money. :( & I thought I was in trouble after they announced plans to make Steven Universe merch.

The watch will be $20 with two exclusive medals (Jibanyan and Whisper from the looks of it).

So they're sticking with their spring 2016 date? With the anime airing now and the game's launching in a month I cannot believe Hasbro could afford missing the holiday season with their toy line.

If this explodes in the next month or two they'll have a lot of of unsatisfied demand wavering dollar bills catching them with their pants down.

ChrisDM

Oh wow, they're going to have a Whisper medal? Something Japans side hasn't even done yet. Guess I really am all in with getting these.

Also there's this, apparently. http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/08/level-5-deciding-on-yo-kai-watch-2-release/

Sweet! we're getting 2 too!

If they end up bringing all 3 versions over, I may end up buying all 3 versions. I'm so in right now I'm about to drown. :D

So they're sticking with their spring 2016 date? With the anime airing now and the game's launching in a month I cannot believe Hasbro could afford missing the holiday season with their toy line.

If this explodes in the next month or two they'll have a lot of of unsatisfied demand wavering dollar bills catching them with their pants down.

That is a very good point. My original thought was that they were waiting until Spring 2016 so they can allow the show to build and build popularity, but the game should really help the property blow honestly and they could do it earlier. I would assume production schedules are an issue as well. They most likely want it to take over store shelves quantity wise.

Meffer

Here's what my friend said about that.
"Hasbro is very lax when it comes to stores selling their products early. They just don't give a damn as long as the product gets out there. Sometimes their toys made for December show up in October."
I wouldn't be surprised some stores take advantage of the holiday season if they get the toys early.

Tusk

So apparently at NYCC they were giving away a medal of Jibanyan wearing a statue of liberty outfit.

It's so cute, sucks I'll never be able to get it lol

Draxal

So apparently at NYCC they were giving away a medal of Jibanyan wearing a statue of liberty outfit.

It's so cute, sucks I'll never be able to get it lol

They had plenty of them there, I kinda grabbed one by accident, I'm pretty sure they'll be available somewhere else as well.

I did get to see Jibanyan dance in person for like 14 minutes.

HFD, yes.
Guessing the dubbers dubbed it uncut and Disney is making their own edits.

ChrisDM

They had plenty of them there, I kinda grabbed one by accident, I'm pretty sure they'll be available somewhere else as well.

I did get to see Jibanyan dance in person for like 14 minutes.

I really hope one of those shows up on eBay. Only thing I have seen pop up is a Jibanyan dog tag.

Also, Jibanyan dancing at NYCC =
confirmed localization of the Yo-Kai Watch version of Just Dance? :D

ChrisDM

Busters is an amazing game. I've spent so much time with it, it's incredible how much there is to do in it.

Are any of the games easy to understand without being able to read Japanese?

Edit: From looking at footage, I would venture to guess that answer is no... :(

Meffer

Yes for the most part. The story and side quests have a marker system to show you where you need to go to continue along but there are some things that'll require typing some things down correctly or needing an item or Yokai for certain things. You can watch some playthroughs on YouTube when you get stuck. I suggest just waiting for the first game since we're less than a month away from getting it.

ChrisDM

Yes for the most part. The story and side quests have a marker system to show you where you need to go to continue along but there are some things that'll require typing some things down correctly or needing an item or Yokai for certain things. You can watch some playthroughs on YouTube when you get stuck. I suggest just waiting for the first game since we're less than a month away from getting it.

Yeah, I think I'm just getting a bit too overexcited. I would imagine there are a ton of guides that could help me as well if I ever chose to import. I am keeping my hopes high when it comes to getting the sequels. It looks like Level-5 is already considering options for the second one that had three versions.

Tusk

Oh, yeah. It's super easy to go through. I only needed to look up some stuff maybe like 3 or 4 times? Wasn't too big a deal.

Busters you really wouldn't need a guide at all, honestly. I went through the game no problem, only thing I needed to ever look up were the effects of souls, and what soul fusion combinations I needed for other souls and weapons.

Other than that the game is extremely easy to understand.

ChrisDM

Oh, yeah. It's super easy to go through. I only needed to look up some stuff maybe like 3 or 4 times? Wasn't too big a deal.

Busters you really wouldn't need a guide at all, honestly. I went through the game no problem, only thing I needed to ever look up were the effects of souls, and what soul fusion combinations I needed for other souls and weapons.

Other than that the game is extremely easy to understand.

That's so great to hear! Do you think there's much of a chance of Busters getting localized? I don't know a ton about Busters other than it being a sort of spin off type of game? I could be wrong though. It looks like you play as Jibanyan from what I am seeing in videos which is tight as helllllll!

Tusk

That's so great to hear! Do you think there's much of a chance of Busters getting localized? I don't know a ton about Busters other than it being a sort of spin off type of game? I could be wrong though. It looks like you play as Jibanyan from what I am seeing in videos which is tight as helllllll!

You can play as just about any Youkai. Even the befriendable boss Youkai.

The best part about the game is the multiplayer, You're able to play with random people, and send them friend requests and stuff. So it's easier to get trades going in that game.

It really shouldn't be too hard to localize, so all it really comes down to is how the first two games do, I suppose.

Impotaku

Yeah that first game needs to sell amazing for Level 5 to go to the effort of releasing the others, the fact that they have bothered to release the merchandise & anime as well shows they really are giving it a proper attempt. If it sells like crap then you can probably forget it for seeing any others.

My routine continues with jenyan & master nyada, 18 battles & counting & neither will join me. Least i got robo ryukun to join today YAY.

Hopefully busters will be arriving by next weekend, glad i didn't jump in right away as now i have something to look forward to.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah they a fantastic job dubbing this. I wasn't cringing at all

haha, the exact opposite to what happened in our house as my wife looked on in horror as my son ended a long silence with "this is pretty awful"

I said prior to the launch that i thought this wouldn't translate very well, but i don't think that was the issue - it was just the voice acting basically. Dismerelda and Happierer were pretty good renaming.

Also - might be that i just watched an odd upload (i'm not in the US, no choice!) but everything seemed slowed down? Especially the songs? Is that by design or bad upload?

And as per the first game - really wish they'd jumped in with YW2 but i understand why they didn't - because YW2 is so vastly superior to YW.

Busters should be pretty straightforward to bring over.

Also - might be that i just watched an odd upload (i'm not in the US, no choice!) but everything seemed slowed down? Especially the songs? Is that by design or bad upload?
Bad upload it sounds like. Youtube is full of jank uploads of anime for some reason if that's where you looked.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Bad upload it sounds like. Youtube is full of jank uploads of anime for some reason if that's where you looked.

everything else seemed fine timing wise - but just the songs. I mean, i can understand them being slower as the originals tend to be faster upbeat japanese songs, so yeah - better find it elsewhere to compare.

Meffer

haha, the exact opposite to what happened in our house as my wife looked on in horror as my son ended a long silence with "this is pretty awful"

I said prior to the launch that i thought this wouldn't translate very well, but i don't think that was the issue - it was just the voice acting basically. Dismerelda and Happierer were pretty good renaming.

And as per the first game - really wish they'd jumped in with YW2 but i understand why they didn't - because YW2 is so vastly superior to YW.

Busters should be pretty straightforward to bring over.
It sounded odd because the uploader altered it so it would be less likely taken down.

everything else seemed fine timing wise - but just the songs. I mean, i can understand them being slower as the originals tend to be faster upbeat japanese songs, so yeah - better find it elsewhere to compare.
When it's slowed down a bit it's a lot easier to notice it in the music than the dialogue.

Top Bottom