• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Impotaku

Seems like hasbro have done something really shitty, looks like the medals will be region locked, was curious to see that NYC jibanyan medal looked like, found an auction on ebay and they showed the back.

They have made the voice switch activation ridges off centre so it will physically not fit in a Japanese watch and vice versa the Japanese medals will not fit in an American watch, anyone that was hoping to mix & match between America and Japan with the medals can forget it. The off centre design looks shit, they are meant to by symmetrical they look really odd been off center. Also the back is ruined by stupid lettering and copyright numbers.

This is the back of a USA medal
s-l1600.jpg

And the back of a Japanese one.
ban983723_2.jpg

If they did it right, Japanese medals would have just caused the corresponding English shit to play. Instead they went and did... That.

Wow.

tiijj

There was no reason to do it, it's not like people will start importing these. The only people who will import the medals are the ones already importing it.

I'm just waiting for an IC/NFC medal. There are far too many medals to start right now :(

Tusk

I remember seeing a tweet a while back from someone that has something to do with YWs localization. He was boasting about how the localized watch would be so much better than the Japanese watch. The fact it can't play Jap medals proves otherwise to me.

It had won me over a bit when I saw the Whisper medal, but this is just too dumb. I really hope this is just the worst of it and there's nothing else to worry about.

That's shit. You think they'll region lock the QR codes if they went this far?

They probably did. Hasbro are dicks like that. They make all types of unnecessary changes to just about everything they bring over.

Impotaku

Yeah they could done exactly that, just have a japanese medal activate the english voice if it was used. But nope they want to make sure nobody imports any medals, wouldn't suprise me if they have recoded all the QR codes so they wont work on the Japanese game & the Japanese ones won't work on the English one.

Well one thing is good, it means that i no longer have to worry about USA exclusive medals lol. Looks like my collection will be staying Japanese only now.

Meffer

So I'm going through my japanese medals comparing their QR codes with the one in that pic american medal. There's no change in shape or size. Unless they decided to completely each QR which can registered in game (which would take time and resource to change some code), the japanese QRs should should work. We have no way of knowing unless it's mentioned or when the game comes out.

EDIT: GOD IS DEAD

Changing the QR codes wouldn't have been too hard but it also doesn't involve changing the backs of the medals.

Though the only real reason to change the QR codes to begin with is to fuck with importers.

EDIT: Meffer, they would have just changed the pattern on the code, not the size or shape.

tiijj

The qr code for the JP medalcontains the japanese yk website (with a unique URL). So suffice to say that NA one will point to the NA website with a unique URL.

Meffer

Changing the QR codes wouldn't have been too hard but it also doesn't involve changing the backs of the medals.

Though the only real reason to change the QR codes to begin with is to fuck with importers.

EDIT: Meffer, they would have just changed the pattern on the code, not the size or shape.

Crap your right. Well shit, I was hoping I could just scan my medals when the game came out and just collect the NA medals when they came out. I hope they make a lot so there won't be shortages. With this type of shit they're trying to pull off they better not run out.

Watched the first three episodes of the dub today. I liked it!
Better than some of the anime dubs I got growing up, that's for sure.

The pooping in school episode was great.

The qr code for the JP medalcontains the japanese yk website (with a unique URL). So suffice to say that NA one will point to the NA website with a unique URL.
Okay, yeah, that would be a valid reason to change the QR codes. There's no way to change the url without changing the code.

The back thing is still just... bizarre, though.

Tusk

Crap your right. Well shit, I was hoping I could just scan my medals when the game came out and just collect the NA medals when they came out. I hope they make a lot so there won't be shortages. With this type of shit they're trying to pull off they better not run out.

It wouldn't bother me TOO much if they changed the QRs if the medals and stuff were coming out closer to the games release.

But seeing as that's not happening, I am a little upset. I was also wanting to get some QR codes scanned in. Would've been nice potentially getting some rare Youkai early in the game.

Meffer

It wouldn't bother me TOO much if they changed the QRs if the medals and stuff were coming out closer to the games release.

But seeing as that's not happening, I am a little upset. I was also wanting to get some QR codes scanned in. Would've been nice potentially getting some rare Youkai early in the game.

I mean you do get coins in the game but it's common that's for sure.

Tusk

So, I noticed they added the two medal sets to the product list on the YW site. You can see the packs images as usual, and they seem to show some new stuff on them. Like an alternate color version of Donyoriinu on the 4th busters set. So, we know a couple more new medals based on these packages. We also know a few more things being added to Busters in Moon Rabbit Team.

On the U stage 2 package there's a yellow cat on the left and some blue dude in a yellow shirt on the right that I assume will be in the new movie? I wonder if they'll be in Busters too. The more the better.

Tusk

I like the song, it's pretty good. This update is gonna be so fun.

Sucks the Captain Thunder B medal is a campaign thing. Wish I had someone to ship it to so they could ship it to me, since I'm pretty sure I have the stuff needed to enter the campaign.

Edit: On the upside in regards to medals. My U medal stage 1 boxes should be shipping soon. Bought two. Wonder if I'll be lucky enuogh to get a full set.

Definitively gonna get Busters pre-Thanksgiving Break and play through it then. Hopefully I can get through a lot of the content before the update.

Tusk

Definitively gonna get Busters pre-Thanksgiving Break and play through it then. Hopefully I can get through a lot of the content before the update.

You probably can if you play it enough. Later on in the game there are some bosses that are just ridiculous unless you're fighting them with other people. Gotta especially have one dude that's both really good at staying alive and can manage healing at the same time.

Though I've seen people solo one of the hard bosses with a level 99 rank E youkai, made me feel like a total scrub watching the vids lol. Some people are just so good at this game.

Impotaku

I like the song, it's pretty good. This update is gonna be so fun.

Sucks the Captain Thunder B medal is a campaign thing. Wish I had someone to ship it to so they could ship it to me, since I'm pretty sure I have the stuff needed to enter the campaign.

It will most likely appear on the medaland website if they are calling it a campaign medal, which means you'll need to scan in your medals to get enough points to enter the lottery. They will certainly appear for sale from the marketplace sellers on Amazon Jp. All of the campaign medals make it there, worth getting a medaland account as it's fun to add your collection on there & play the fortune shrine battle game.

Thanks for that website link btw, got a load of coins stocked up now to try and get some good youkai in busters, they certainly revamped the gashapon coin system in busters i hope that carrys over to the 3rd game as it's a vast improvement.

After several weeks of daily battling Jetnyan finally agreed to become my friend, man is he stubborn lol.
IMG_0879%20res.jpg

Tusk

It will most likely appear on the medaland website if they are calling it a campaign medal, which means you'll need to scan in your medals to get enough points to enter the lottery. They will certainly appear for sale from the marketplace sellers on Amazon Jp. All of the campaign medals make it there, worth getting a medaland account as it's fun to add your collection on there & play the fortune shrine battle game.

Thanks for that website link btw, got a load of coins stocked up now to try and get some good youkai in busters, they certainly revamped the gashapon coin system in busters i hope that carrys over to the 3rd game as it's a vast improvement.

After several weeks of daily battling Jetnyan finally agreed to become my friend, man is he stubborn lol.
IMG_0879%20res.jpg

You're welcome, B medals are super useful.

The campaign for the Captain Thunder B medal is a little different, from the glance I took apparently you have to have some code that came with the two Busters games to enter. It's a code for that puni puni phone game.

Cool that you got Jetnyan, I got him a little early on in my play-through in 2 and used him for quite a while. Been wanting to get him in Busters, but to do that I need all the robo youkai and the only one I need left is Robonyan F type. The only way to get him though is having all the Jewel Nyan.

Impotaku

You're welcome, B medals are super useful.

The campaign for the Captain Thunder B medal is a little different, from the glance I took apparently you have to have some code that came with the two Busters games to enter. It's a code for that puni puni phone game.

Cool that you got Jetnyan, I got him a little early on in my play-through in 2 and used him for quite a while. Been wanting to get him in Busters, but to do that I need all the robo youkai and the only one I need left is Robonyan F type. The only way to get him though is having all the Jewel Nyan.

Yeah you are correct, just had a look on the website you either need the punipuni leaflet codes from both games or the codes in your download reciepts for the digital ones. From what it seems you don't have to win one, if you provide the codes then you get one sent to you. Shall get onto that, will see if i can get it sent to my friends house just to be sure.

Impotaku

The xmas cake horror from last year has already returned lol, last year they were a nightmare to get hold of. Managed to get the medal from it, but it wasn't easy.

510S3tbltnL.jpg

Looks like this year they are repeating the same thing but with an exclusive U song medal.
61XGQ0UI65L.jpg

Impotaku

If you buy 5 packs of the newly released U medal in participating stores you can get the pinto crusaders campaign medal as a present. It's the first of the song campaign medals released, the song on it is pretty funny.

51mmGQ5FM%2BL.jpg

Tusk

I plan on getting that Christmas cake song medal. What was the other medal that came with a cake?

I hope the site I ordered the two boxes from sends me that song medal, too. Would suck having to go looking around for it.

Impotaku

I plan on getting that Christmas cake song medal. What was the other medal that came with a cake?

I hope the site I ordered the two boxes from sends me that song medal, too. Would suck having to go looking around for it.

Last years chara deco cake was this, it came with a medetai medal
20141001_charadeco_xmas_youkai_w.jpg

Impotaku

LOL no way, do you have the link i want to see that. Hehe McDonalds does some crazy stuff in Japan, their happy set tie ins are so much better than over here.

Impotaku

Thanks, LOL that Ronald is blatant on that medal takes up half the medal ahahaha. Now i will have to keep an eye on the McDonalds website. I swear keeping track of medals is a full time job.

Impotaku

It's not a limited thing is it? Was planning on ordering it on a diff site along with the book that comes with the driver UsaPyon medal.

Nah it's not limited but i have a feeling this issue will probably sell out pretty fast.

I probably still have a couple Mushiking cards somewhere. lol

Also started playing Ganso again. Getting them watch pieces. Oh good, my team's pretty good and I remember that I planned to get a blue elephant thing when I get to Nagoya for some fusion action. I have to say, this game's significantly easier on your second run through because you know how to make good Yo-Kai early on. Looking forward to the pirate not kicking my ass. lol

Also why is Zukyukyunta's pre-evo called Shmoopie? >_> EDIT: Also glad to know that they're also keeping Shmoopie and Zukyukunta as guys. Good localization is good.

nekobi

Heads up for fellow importers the preorders or the December issue of corocoro have gone live on amazon if you want the youkai busters upgrade & box the issue comes out on Nov 14th.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0160311DU/

Corocoro lists what will be in the issue
http://www.corocoro.tv/next/

I'm confused, so is this isn't a standalone release game like Shinuchi was? The CoroCoro issue contains the actual physical game/code, box and medal or just a special case? ^-^;

Meffer

I'm confused, so is this isn't a standalone release game like Shinuchi was? The CoroCoro issue contains the actual physical game/code, box and medal or just a special case? ^-^;
It's just an update for the two versions. What CoroCoro is doing is just providing a physical case for people who want it.

Impotaku

It's just an update for the two versions. What CoroCoro is doing is just providing a physical case for people who want it.

Along with early access to the upgrade if the blogs i have read are correct. Corocoro gets it before general release a few weeks later.

nekobi

Huh...so just an empty case? The case shows a Youkai Medal on it which I'm guessing you have to send away for. That's kinda disappointing but perhaps they'll do a physical release later with more content or something?

Anyway, thanks for the info guys! :) And here I was refreshing Play-Asia for the past few days waiting to pre-order, lol. >.<;

Dragoshi1

Got myself Busters Red, and my bro got Busters Blue. He's doing the region-free homebrew though, so he can't update the game unless he puts it in my JP 3DS. He has the physical version, I have it digitally. So is it possible for us to play together, as long as I don't update my version?

Impotaku

Level 5 gets another income boost lol, finally all my youkai stuff arrived YAY. I may actually be able to catch up again (for a short while lol)

Copy of both buster games & the guide
IMG_0892%20res.jpg

The new(ish) prototype U watch & a volume of the manga with one of the medals i needed
IMG_0894%20res.jpg

Binder data pages to store each series of medals.
IMG_0895%20res.jpg

New buster medal binders and both of the new re-releases of the first 2 binders now i can transfer from the first gen binders i already have. Still no binder for busters 3 series yet.
IMG_0896%20res.jpg

Boxes of series 5, shinuchi and busters 1 2 & 3 medal booster packs.
IMG_0897%20res.jpg

With the volume of manga earlier i now have all 4 usapyon campaign medals YAY.
IMG_0899%20res.jpg

tiijj

Nice, that must have been heavy lol.

Out of curiosity when they release some medals from let's say corocoro, do they release it another way? Like they will re-release it on the binder or perhaps the dvd.

Damn, when you're done opening all those medals I would really like to see a pic of your updated collection. Just how many medals do you have!?
Got myself Busters Red, and my bro got Busters Blue. He's doing the region-free homebrew though, so he can't update the game unless he puts it in my JP 3DS. He has the physical version, I have it digitally. So is it possible for us to play together, as long as I don't update my version?
No guarantees but I believe you guys should be fine.

Impotaku

Nice, that must have been heavy lol.

Out of curiosity when they release some medals from let's say corocoro, do they release it another way? Like they will re-release it on the binder or perhaps the dvd.

LOL yeah i had to split it all into 2 boxes, one of the boxes was 4kg so it was expensive to ship.

With the ones released in corocoro comics they are usually exclusive they never appear in any other sets or get reprints.

The only exceptions so far are the 2 fuyuunyan & the darknyan medals that were given out at the cinema for the first movie, they ended up been reprinted and included for the DVD release of the first movie.

Damn, when you're done opening all those medals I would really like to see a pic of your updated collection. Just how many medals do you have!?

Before i fell waaaaaay behind i had complete sets for the first 5 series along with all legend medals & orange arcade daikitchi and gashapon/gum/ramune medals.

I have about 300-400 medals so far with all the doubles, and with the ones i have got today i should be a lot closer to catching up although there will certainly be holo medals i'll be missing. This is a video of most of my medals, along with these i have a huge plastic box full of duplicates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmus3QXFB8w

I still have all the new gashapaon & sweet sets to get along with the newest batch of daikitchi & medaland campaign medals. Plus the 2 newer main sets, oh and all the other misc promo medals that are scattered around various merchandise. It's pretty hard keeping tarck of them all but i'm determined to keep up with it as i get a lot of enjoyment from collecting them.

By the time i'm done it's going to be a lot of binders on my shelves hehe.

Impotaku

banner_raremedal_d.png

With some tricky navigating & kanji form filling in i managed to register my punipuni codes from both busters games with Level 5 to get the captain thunder medal. I sadly couldn't use my Tenso address as my name has a middle name and the form on Level 5's website doesnt accept it so Tenso would have problems accepting it when my name doesn't match what they have on file. Had to kindly rely on my friends house to send it to him.

Thankfully you don't have to win it you just have to send in your codes & a Japanese postal address and they will sent it off to you, the email back said that they will be shipped mid november.

Top Bottom