• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Impotaku

Finally found the most expensive medal there is, it will cost you at least 30,000 yen to buy one and that's just the starting price, most of them go a lot higher.

It was originally given away at the Level 5 event last year when they unveiled the 3rd game but they also gave away 150 to random people who filled out the youkai busters game survey leaflet.

Behold the Inausa medal, a little too rich for even my blood, well maybe for now.
CCTbvZ2VEAAuXAS.jpg

Tusk

Aw no. The site I usually order medal boxes from changed the listings for the next medal sets from 5 per customer to 1 per costumer. Was gonna order 3 of both sets to try and get full sets. Incredibly disappointed. Hope they don't sell out come release so I can buy more. They sell them for a little less than retail price. It's pretty great.

Though, worst comes to worst, I can just buy whatever I need seperate if the prices are okay, or buy the boxes for full price elsewhere, I guess.

ChrisDM

So I enjoyed the demo for the most part, but I only have one concern, and I'm posting this here instead of the demo impressions thread because you guys have much more experience with playing the series. My concern is that the mini-games you play to charge up the Soultimate ability would damage my 3DS screen. I obviously am really careful with the stylus, but rubbing it around in circles makes me freak out hahahah.

& this game is still a must buy for me, but I do hope the beginning of the full game explains things in fuller detail. I'm not great at games where you have to shift your attention around a lot. I was so garbage at The World Ends With You. :(

You can do the minigames with the buttons and circle pad. In particular, if you're worried that the spinning will damage your screen you can just use the circle pad for that one since your left thumb's on the circle pad anyways so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also I ordered Honke to complete the collection. I have now bought 3 versions of a children's video game. What's wrong with me!? lol

You can do the minigames with the buttons and circle pad. In particular, if you're worried that the spinning will damage your screen you can just use the circle pad for that one since your left thumb's on the circle pad anyways so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also I ordered Honke to complete the collection. I have now bought 3 versions of a children's video game. What's wrong with me!? lol

This is a game changer. Does this work for all the minigames. The battle system is the only thing keeping me from getting this game. I truly do hate the mini game portion of it.

This is a game changer. Does this work for all the minigames. The battle system is the only thing keeping me from getting this game. I truly do hate the mini game portion of it.
All minigames can be done with just the circle pad and sometimes A.

The stylus is generally quicker and easier, but it's a lot easier to press X with the buttons so I prefer the buttons for regular battles that will end in seconds anyways and the buttons are good enough most of the time.

ChrisDM

All minigames can be done with just the circle pad and sometimes A.

The stylus is generally quicker and easier, but it's a lot easier to press X with the buttons so I prefer the buttons for regular battles that will end in seconds anyways and the buttons are good enough most of the time.

So you end up using the buttons and the circle pad most of the time? I guess my question is really have you noticed any wear and tear on your screen from using the stylus too much?

Sinople

I don't know why but I want to give the series another try after not being impressed by the first game. How much better is the sequel? And is Shin'uchi the definitive version? The HP seems to imply there's still content exclusive to Ganso and Honke...

All three versions have exclusive content. Shin'uchi is still the "definitive" version though, if only because it has this spa that is awesome for grinding. lol
So you end up using the buttons and the circle pad most of the time? I guess my question is really have you noticed any wear and tear on your screen from using the stylus too much?
Not too much wear and tear, really. But there's this game called Elite Beat Agents that had a similar thing due to its spinners and like oh my fucking god no no no. Like the touch screen still worked but if you put the DS under a light it was ugly. So when I'm using the stylus I tend to not spin as fast as I can. I purposefully pace myself to make sure that doesn't happen again.

The main reason I use the buttons for regular battles really is for easy access to the X button though. With the X button most battles will be over before you can even pull off a Soultimate to begin with.

Flunkie

Banned
Are the Japanese and NA medals the same? And is there an NA site to "register" stuff at? I know there's that Yokai Land app on the store but it's basically just a Yokai-dex because I have to medals to scan into it

Tusk

Seriously, just gotta say again. The song medals with Hikikoumori are gonna be amazing. Mostly the band version.

If any of you haven't already check out the samples for the songs. Like wow. I'd pay so much for a CD with 3 or 4 minute versions of these songs.

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/yotunes/ There's the link.

Impotaku

Are the Japanese and NA medals the same? And is there an NA site to "register" stuff at? I know there's that Yokai Land app on the store but it's basically just a Yokai-dex because I have to medals to scan into it

Nope they are different, they are region locked and wont fit into watches from other regions. The qr codes are still unknown if they will work in another region.

Sinople

All three versions have exclusive content. Shin'uchi is still the "definitive" version though, if only because it has this spa that is awesome for grinding. lol
Sucks about the exclusive content, especially quests/story segments, but I'll go with Shin'uchi then.

Impotaku

So when does the NA stuff go on sale?

No idea as of yet, the only reason i know the medals are region locked is i have seen the back of an American promo medal and it's a different configuration on the back. Can't imagine they will be too far behind the games release.

Impotaku

Broke open the buster series 2 & 3 medal boxes, got nearly a full set from series 2 & did pretty bad on series 3 i seemed to get nearly all the same medals in each box so i only have about half the set, weirdly i even ended up getting duplicates of hagure medals which is very uncommon.

Didn't realise the buster sets had hagure medals in till i saw the rainbow shimmer & realised it was a hagure when i compared it to the regular one in the same set. For those unaware hagure are secret medals that are slightly different to the regular ones, in previous sets they had another youkai hidden on them. In the buster sets they have a rainbow hologram on them.

The fuyuunyan on the right is the normal one & the rainbow on the left is hagure. So far managed to get 2 out of the 5 secrets.
IMG_0937%20res.jpg

Think i'll be going for all the others next and the daikitchi medals as i'm behind again. They have even started doing daikitchi song medals but they are pretty expensive at the moment as they are very new so in demand.

I tried the demo of the Yokai Watch game from 3DS eshop. It reminds me a little bit of Pokemon and also that one Friday Monsters game a little bit where you are running around in town, which was also, I think, developed by Level5. I don't know if I'll get it at this point but I'm glad I got to try it (with the demo)!

I googled around and I couldn't find the answer, so I figure I'll ask here.

I'm curious how trading works in this series. Can you trade Yo-kai with others in the first game? I know that there isn't online battles, so presumably there isn't online trading either. I do know that the sequel definitely has online trading and battles.

My most important question, really, is can you trade or transfer Yo-kai between the first game and its sequel? As someone who loves the thrill of "catching them all" in Pokemon, I similarily appreciate the ability to transfer my Pokemon forward in each game. Does this series have anything like that? I'll still probably want to catch all the Yo-kai in the first game, but that might increase my willingness to do so.

hazukash

I gave in and downloaded the demo. It was so addictive I had to stop myself from playing. Now I'm seriously excited to get my copy in the mail. I'm not entirely sure I like how the touch screen is used during fights though.

Tusk

In Busters, where do you find the evo items? It's Fubukihime time!

Higher level boss fights, and gasha machine.

If you want Fubikihime, you can get some B medal QR codes off of some site for her. Or do the mission where you can fight her and the other Buster house peeps until she finally joins you. She's at 55 when she joins and keeps the glasses on.

Tusk

Broke open the buster series 2 & 3 medal boxes, got nearly a full set from series 2 & did pretty bad on series 3 i seemed to get nearly all the same medals in each box so i only have about half the set, weirdly i even ended up getting duplicates of hagure medals which is very uncommon.

Didn't realise the buster sets had hagure medals in till i saw the rainbow shimmer & realised it was a hagure when i compared it to the regular one in the same set. For those unaware hagure are secret medals that are slightly different to the regular ones, in previous sets they had another youkai hidden on them. In the buster sets they have a rainbow hologram on them.

The fuyuunyan on the right is the normal one & the rainbow on the left is hagure. So far managed to get 2 out of the 5 secrets.
IMG_0937%20res.jpg

Think i'll be going for all the others next and the daikitchi medals as i'm behind again. They have even started doing daikitchi song medals but they are pretty expensive at the moment as they are very new so in demand.

There are only actually two secret medals in chapter 1 and 2, and 3 has only one. The other rainbow holos are way easier to get.

And yeah, chapter 3 seems to have a terrible pull rate.

In the stage 1 u medal set there are 3 hagure. It's the song medals. They are based around the rice bowl youkai. Can't remember their names.

To elaborate more from another thread on how Yo-Kai Watch 2's "IVs" are different from Pokemon's IVs, here are my results so far from SRing an A-Rank Yo-Kai called Gamanmosu:

HP/Attack/Defense/Spirit Power/Speed
258/121/120/87/89 Total: 675
256/121/121/85/91 Total: 674
260/120/120/87/89 Total: 676
255/120/119/86/94 Total: 674
255/121/120/87/91 Total: 674
254/122/119/87/91 Total: 673
254/122/123/86/89 Total: 674

Taking last one because it's nice and getting more Gamanmosu isn't very hard and I just wanted to show how it works. lol

That "IV" stuff is pretty interesting. I'm glad that individual Yo-kai have stat variances. It's something that makes Pokemon a lot more interesting in-game.

Thanks for the trading info too.

Impotaku

There are actually hagure youkai in the games too, sometimes you'll come across a youkai that has a very tiny difference in it's appearance compared to how you normally see one. They tend to be a bit stronger than the regular ones, the official guidbook has a section on it.

ChrisDM

There are actually hagure youkai in the games too, sometimes you'll come across a youkai that has a very tiny difference in it's appearance compared to how you normally see one. They tend to be a bit stronger than the regular ones, the official guidbook has a section on it.

Speaking of guidebooks, I wonder if the North American guide book would be worth getting or not. I know a lot of that information is readily available online, but it might differ due to localization? I don't know. Hmm.

I hope I can figure out how to get a fucking Jikochuu. The coin that is allegedly supposed to give you one just gave me an Aperikan in both Ganso and Shin'uchi. :X So in both games I have two Aperikan, one from the flower coin and another from the bird coin. Ugh... I just want a Jikochuu!

EDIT: Also Impotaku, how's the guide? Was thinking of getting it since I will soon have all three games anyways.

Impotaku

Speaking of guidebooks, I wonder if the North American guide book would be worth getting or not. I know a lot of that information is readily available online, but it might differ due to localization? I don't know. Hmm.

Hard to say, it depends on who is the publisher in the states. There are some amazing guide in Japan for the games, hopefully you'll get a complete guide they are very useful to have especially when wanting to know the favourite foods of youkai when trying to befriend them.

I hope I can figure out how to get a fucking Jikochuu. The coin that is allegedly supposed to give you one just gave me an Aperikan in both Ganso and Shin'uchi. :X So in both games I have two Aperikan, one from the flower coin and another from the bird coin. Ugh... I just want a Jikochuu!

EDIT: Also Impotaku, how's the guide? Was thinking of getting it since I will soon have all three games anyways.

The wakuwaku coins will give you a random youkai out of 4 but it's not guaranteed it will be either jikochuu, gabunyan, ittan gomen or aperican & if you are very unlucky just a rare item, lol it's harsh when you see that. By starting new games on each save slot you can get extra uses out of the QR codes, so you could get the game to the point where you can use QR codes in each save then one QR code would become 3 chances, you'd need a second 3DS to trade the youkai off that game to one of your others, thats how i did it.

The guides are well worth getting they cover pretty much everything that's in there and have great maps showing where all the treasures are and where youkai like to appear, they are co-written by corocoro comics & are very high quality. Also bonus points been the kanji in them is written with furigana making them totally readable if you can read kana. While you will discover most things in the game, there are some things that are well hidden and it pays to have the guides.

This is the guide for the first game
51-1yQmk6UL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4091065260/

For youkai watch 2, there are 2 guides. Avoid the first one with the black & gold cover as it only covers ganso & honke. They released an updated one that covers all 3 games, also in the guide is a QR code for a wakuwaku coin.
71d1-q4y3qL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4091065503/

And if you are playing busters this guide is the best one, it's from the same people as the others.
61ujoswox3L._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4091065686/

Okay, thanks! That was the guide for 2 I was looking at, too. :)

As for the English one, if there's a guide then how good it will be depends on who at Prima is assigned to it. Prima pretty much dominates the market now and these days their guides range from high quality to "WTF is this shit?"

Also I hate Aperican now lol, I just want a Gabunyan or Jikochuu. They're the cool ones. At least I have 3 or 4 Ittan Gomen total now so if I trade with myself I can evolve them.

Guess I will just have to hope I have good luck on Honke, huh?

Impotaku

Ittan gomen evolves when he reaches a certain level & his evolution looks pretty freaky lol. Love that his name been yet another wordplay joke on ittan momen.

Oh you're right, seems the site that told me I needed three of them was a liar. The evolution does look pretty cool. Want to try it out.

But I still have 4 Aperican and 3 or 4 Ittan Gomen! Goddammit game. lol

That sounds hilarious. lol

Also I found another set of codes for wakuwaku coins on the net. Yay! Scanned them into my Shin'uchi and am going to try them out now. Hoping I don't get more Aperican...

Impotaku

I'll keep my fingers crossed for gabunyan or jikochuu, if i hear a faint scream in the distance i'll assume it was you getting another aperican lol.

Tusk

Do you have any pics of these Youkai? Didn't know that was a thing.

Tusk

Whoa what. That's so subtle. I could've gotten one or declined an offer without even realizing it.

They're in Shinuchi too, right?

Impotaku

Not sure if they are in shinuchi, yes they are very subtle almost to the point that you would not normally notice. The guide lists which 12 youkai have rare types like this.

ChrisDM

Hard to say, it depends on who is the publisher in the states. There are some amazing guide in Japan for the games, hopefully you'll get a complete guide they are very useful to have especially when wanting to know the favourite foods of youkai when trying to befriend them.

It looks like Prima is putting out the guide...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0744016711/?tag=neogaf0e-20

When I was younger and bought guides, they were the top company. Not so sure of their output quality these days.

ChrisDM

Prima used to be all-around horrible, actually. But nowadays they're much better, for Nintendo games at least.

Well it sounds like I had a case of the "follow the biggest company" since local stores were plastered with Prima guides. Funny you say that though because to me, the only other company I saw was Brady and I never liked their guides.

Linius

Brady and Prima are always the ones you find in gamestores around here. I have a few guides of both. I really liked the New Leaf guide from Prima. My latest one from them is the LE Witcher 3 guide, which is awesome.

Features of Prima guides from 2000-ish:
-So many errors you can't trust anything you read
-Looks like it was designed by a 3rd grader
-If you fart on the guide it will probably split in two they were that flimsy
-It's probably missing some vital information

Brady had a few good guides, like the one for Star Ocean III. But for the most part non-Nintendo Power guides were frequently like Prima's guides but prettier.

Prima's guides started getting better mid-2000-ish and nowadays their guides tend to be pretty good. Still tend to have a few minor errors but generally you can actually trust what you read now. lol

Meffer

I remember one Brady guide for Pokemon RS being horrible. It didn't detail Pokemon encounter rates, where to find them or their stats. It instead only focused on where items were and every battle detailing each Pokemon. It was thin too.

Top Bottom