• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Impotaku

Don't have a western 3DS myself so i won't be getting the english version. Would be a lot of cash to just play it in english. I'd rather save that money to blow on more medals/merchandise.

Level 5 has already has a lot of my money lol.

YW (cart)
YW2 Honke (cart)
YW2 Ganso (cart & digital)
YW2 Shinuchi (cart & digital)
YWB Akaneko dan (cart)
YWB Shiro inutai (cart & digital)

Plus crazy amounts of medals/merchandise.

evanmisha

Found some interesting info after watching a Japanese person review the American youkai watch smartphone app.

From what i could see from the medals listed in the dictionary, it seems you will at some point you'll be at least getting the first 5 legend medals. Ikemenken, yamabuki oni & bushinyan were all the medaland lottery campaign exclusives. Hanasakaji was originally bundled with the series 3 datasheet set for one of the binders & shurakoma was the secret medal in the 3rd medal set.

Looks like at least topanyan & sapphirenyan which were the first 2 campaign medals in the first set of medals will also be available.

There's actually a disclaimer in the app saying that the medals present in the wiki don't necessarily reflect those for sale, or something like that. I'd have to fish it out but I'm sure I didn't dream that.

Impotaku

There's actually a disclaimer in the app saying that the medals present in the wiki don't necessarily reflect those for sale, or something like that. I'd have to fish it out but I'm sure I didn't dream that.

Really? man well that's a bit crap if they do pull something like that. Lets hope they don't change their minds about the 2 jewelnyan medals as those 2 unlock game content, the rest have minimal effect on the game besides giving coloured gashapon coins.

It looks like a fun app from what i can see, especially the AR stuff, looks like it's coded to the front image of the medals so in theory if they did pull a fast one you could at least use scans of the medal fronts to mess around with the app stuff.

Meffer

With Japanese medals? Yes you can, but only some of them. Jibanyan worked among others but some on the app's list that matched with the ones I owned didn't work on the AR function. And of course none of the QR codes for the Japanese medals worked.

Meffer

I think they meant that will be on sale at the time. They'll likely release them in waves.

Tusk

Did they really change Inugami to Frostail? Because that sounds like something someone from Deviantart would come up with by just looking at the Yo-Kai and not even hearing of the Japanese name. :X

EDIT: Getting Busters this week as a reward for how tough this week will be in terms of schoolwork. You need one of the digital Yo-Kai still? Tusk I think it was?

Oh yeah, I need Nyan Mahou.

Edit: Who is doing the localization for YW again? Some of the localized names are really disappointing, and others don't really make sense.

I feel like they just changed some names just for the sake of it because they thought their made up names sounded "cooler".

Meffer

Edit: Who is doing the localization for YW again? Some of the localized names are really disappointing, and others don't really make sense.

I feel like they just changed some names just for the sake of it because they thought their made up names sounded "cooler".
I think some of the names are really clever. But I think they wanted to do punny names since the Japanese names are groan inducing puns do they want to keep that light hearted tone. I do want to know where "Venoct" came from for Orochi though. I'm saying its a bad name, I just want to know the origin and why use it instead of Orochi. Because I'm I want to go into localization I'm curious what the thought process was.

Tusk

I think some of the names are really clever. But I think they wanted to do punny names since the Japanese names are groan inducing puns do they want to keep that light hearted tone. I do want to know where "Venoct" came from for Orochi though. I'm saying its a bad name, I just want to know the origin and why use it instead of Orochi. Because I'm I want to go into localization I'm curious what the thought process was.

I like some of them, but Orochi really should have stayed Orochi. That's what I mean by changing it because they think the name they came up with is "cooler", when it kind of isn't.

Impotaku

Orochi is based on a 8 headed dragon/serpent in Japanese mythology, only thing i could think of with why they went with venoct is venom/octupus (8 legs & all that)

Can't really say i like any of the english names they just sound so weird, just like when pokemon got western names. Maybe i just like the Japanese word puns more, some of them are pretty clever in their use.

The "oct" part of "Venoct" is almost certainly from the prefix octo-, which means 8. Which makes sense considering the whole Orochi thing.

The Ven- part could come from all sorts of things though. "Venom" is probably the most obvious one. There is also this thing called Venoconstriction apparently which is when your blood vessels constrict or something. There's also Venus but that would make no fucking sense. "Venous" has something to do with blood vessels and that also makes no sense. And "Venice" would be just going off the deep end.

Also Mahou is gotten from Aka right? If so I'll get that one. I'll probably get it this evening but only play it a little bit until the week's over.
Can't really say i like any of the english names they just sound so weird
DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST THE GREATNESS THAT IS PINKIPOO?

Impotaku

Yeah mahounyan comes from aka, kishinyan comes from shiro. Whats weird with the buster games is once you get a special nyan you can't rebattle to get more, when i fought kishinyan and he became my friend the battle vanished off the list on the streetpass room. So unless you start another save file you only get one, makes getting a full team of them a pain.

In the other games they stay in the game and allow you to keep having daily battles so you can end up getting more of them. Even wondernyan was available to batle as many times as you like.

LOL i can't take anything seriously that calls itself pinkipoo, it's like they just got some 5 year old kid to make the names up. They sound horrible to my ears when said, i'm sure if you have never played any of the Japanese games it will be a lot easier to transition to those names.

Tusk

The "oct" part of "Venoct" is almost certainly from the prefix octo-, which means 8. Which makes sense considering the whole Orochi thing.

The Ven- part could come from all sorts of things though. "Venom" is probably the most obvious one. There is also this thing called Venoconstriction apparently which is when your blood vessels constrict or something. There's also Venus but that would make no fucking sense. "Venous" has something to do with blood vessels and that also makes no sense. And "Venice" would be just going off the deep end.

Also Mahou is gotten from Aka right? If so I'll get that one. I'll probably get it this evening but only play it a little bit until the week's over.

Yeah, Aka only. Probably wont be able to get him to join you right away, especially since it auto-saves right before and after starting the battle

Alright, red it is. Thanks guys!

Also, with that news... Anybody have a spare Maskednyan in 2? >_________________>
LOL i can't take anything seriously that calls itself pinkipoo, it's like they just got some 5 year old kid to make the names up. They sound horrible to my ears when said, i'm sure if you have never played any of the Japanese games it will be a lot easier to transition to those names.
Zukyukyunta probably went, "...Are you fucking kidding me?" when he learned that he was going to be called "Pinkipoo" in the west. Poor fella.

Impotaku

I may have more than one masknyan in my save files i'll have a look for you, if not & nobody else has a spare i can always grind the one a day battles till i get a spare.

Still grinding away on busters, wish i had a fast way to get orbs that didn't involve the almost impossible task of trying to beat a boss on the harder settings as they totally destroy my team. Tried online but it's totally mixed half the time i have been on, either all the other players are at a crazy high level playing the hardest bosses or there seems to be at least 1 in the room that never bothers pressing ok so you are just sat there waiting forever for a mission to start.

Still can't beat robonyan no'28 my jibanyan is nealy level 60 and the others in the 50's range apart from kiririn as i needed a better healer so i'm grinding him up from level 1. The furthest i have gotten is just a 3rd of robonyans energy left but i always seem to get trapped in the attacks or i spend my time reviving useless cpu controlled characters. Getting them all higher level is taking aaaaaaaages as i grind the weaker bosses for orbs.

Okay, thanks!

Busters's downloading. Will hopefully be ready after dinner for some playtime before I go do other stuff.

EDIT: Not sure what I can give in return though, I'll have a looksie.

R0ckman

NoA is doing it I believe, so treehouse.

For Yo-Kai names? Not sure if it would be the Treehouse, actually. They're just doing the game, right? They're bringing over so many different things that I doubt Densetsu or whatever would let NoA reign supreme. They probably had some input but I'm not sure I've ever seen NoA do anything like just casually changing the names of Japanese gods to Deviantart-quality names (Inugami -> Frostail WTF? I like a lot of stuff on Deviantart though).

Also if anybody could let me try multiplayer with them tonight then that would be splendid. Liking this game a lot so far, questionable FPS at times aside. Just lost to the first boss
you can actually beat
though.

R0ckman

For Yo-Kai names? Not sure if it would be the Treehouse, actually. They're just doing the game, right? They're bringing over so many different things that I doubt Densetsu or whatever would let NoA reign supreme. They probably had some input but I'm not sure I've ever seen NoA do anything like just casually changing the names of Japanese gods to Deviantart-quality names (Inugami -> Frostail WTF? I like a lot of stuff on Deviantart though).

Also if anybody could let me try multiplayer with them tonight then that would be splendid. Liking this game a lot so far, questionable FPS at times aside. Just lost to the first boss
you can actually beat
though.

You're right, looks like Level-5 did that. But I'm not sure what that means exactly?

Tusk

you can actually beat
though.

First boss as in Aka Oni? You can't beat him in the first fight, I've tried. The instant you get him low enough, his attacks become instant kills.

If you manage to avoid those attacks and continue damaging him his HP just stops at 1.

If I'm not too tired later I'll play with you. I also have some lower leveled Youkai if you'd prefer me using those.

First boss as in Aka Oni? You can't beat him in the first fight, I've tried. The instant you get him low enough, his attacks become instant kills.

If you manage to avoid those attacks and continue damaging him his HP just stops at 1.

If I'm not too tired later I'll play with you. I also have some lower leveled Youkai if you'd prefer me using those.
I meant the pig. Beat him second try though. lol

Oh, nice! Thanks. Some lower leveled ones would be cool I suppose in order to not completely break the game. lol

R0ckman

I decided to import the second one since I've liked what I played and can read enough Japanese to get through the game get a kick out of the Japanese voices too, is there any GAF import community for this or a place I can go to trade yo-kai that I'll be missing? GameFAQ board seems pretty dry as well.

Meffer

I decided to import the second one since I've liked what I played and can read enough Japanese to get through the game get a kick out of the Japanese voices too, is there any GAF import community for this or a place I can go to trade yo-kai that I'll be missing? GameFAQ board seems pretty dry as well.

This is the place for that. Welcome!

Tusk

Yes, we added each other a while ago.

Oh yeah! My bad, kinda tired so I wasn't thinking straight.

Gonna head out to my living room, and then get on the game if you wanna play now. Gonna be staying out there so I wont be by my computer, just so you know.

Do you already know how to set up a room? Just press the network button, then press the second option, then it should take you to where you can play with randoms. Press the button at the top to open up a room and I'll join you.

I set it so only friends can join so no worries about it filling up, though you probably aren't gonna see this message at this point. lol

EDIT: Ingame name is same (saw-meh), or Shark.

Tusk

I set it so only friends can join so no worries about it filling up, though you probably aren't gonna see this message at this point. lol

EDIT: Ingame name is same (saw-meh), or Shark.

I'm back for a sec. I couldn't find you for some reason

Joined someone elses game thinking it might be you because I couldn't remember who they were at first. Then left, felt a little bad about it though. Hope they wont be mad.

Let's try this again. lol

EDIT: I was in a mission. Apparently I have a Koma-san as a friend... Wait what? Does this keep track of YW2 "friends"? If so then that's hilarious.

Tusk

You sure I added your JP 3DS, or that you added mine? I only see one person playing Busters.

My JP FC is 1865-1977-3262

Tusk

I might have forgot to set the room to "All Ranks", actually...

New room made.

EDIT: lmao, so you WERE in my room!

Yeah that was the problem. Also why I switched games, was checking to see.

I'll switch back to my Shiro since I'm not that far in the game with it. Was gonna play Aka for orbs and to level my legend Youkai that's level 1 but eh.

Tusk

Kk gonna head back into my living room now.

I'm selling stuff to level up a youkai real quick so just pick the mission and I'll ready up in just a sec

Okay, done. ~

EDIT: That was fun! Was about to leave myself though.

And man I apparently suck at doing top battles for duplicate items ;_;

sasari

Where is my UK/EU release date? :/ was hoping for the same as America or maybe a week or two out, at this point it seems to be 2016 still?

ChrisDM

For anyone interested, GameXplain is going to stream Yo-Kai Watch (the localization) today at 2pm PST / 5pm EST.

EDIT: ACTUAL LINK TO STREAM >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPnzOP5jh7o

I might watch a little, but I feel like I would rather be surprised by what I run into and experience, plus I'm trying to work through Persona 4 Golden.

So yeah, yesterday I had 30 Gacha rolls in Busters. I used 23 green coins to try to get Ikkaku, since he's my favorite Yo-Kai.

I got everything but Ikkaku. ;_; Oh well.

Top Bottom