• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Random fact time:

Ikkaku means "one horn". Its name refers to how Ikkaku is a single horned variant of the Kirin.

However, Ikkaku also means "Narwhal". It used to be thought that Narwhals were like unicorns and that their horns had magical healing properties. Because of this, they were frequently hunted for their horns. Hmm, interesting, but I'm not sure what this has to do with Ikkaku. Hey, while we're at it, let's read Ikkaku's description (very rough translation):
The holy Yo-Kai that features a single, beautiful horn. It's said that various powerful historical figures used all the help they could to try to obtain that horn.
...Oh. WHAT A COINCIDENCE.

Impotaku

Which are they? Gonna see if I can find them later.

According to the guide theres 12 in ganso & 12 in honke.

In ganso it's....

Some of those are evolutions, i'm guessing if you evolve a rare one it will take it's appearance change across to it's evolved form.

In Honke it's...

Impotaku

I googled around and I couldn't find the answer, so I figure I'll ask here.

I'm curious how trading works in this series. Can you trade Yo-kai with others in the first game? I know that there isn't online battles, so presumably there isn't online trading either. I do know that the sequel definitely has online trading and battles.

My most important question, really, is can you trade or transfer Yo-kai between the first game and its sequel? As someone who loves the thrill of "catching them all" in Pokemon, I similarily appreciate the ability to transfer my Pokemon forward in each game. Does this series have anything like that? I'll still probably want to catch all the Yo-kai in the first game, but that might increase my willingness to do so.

Seeing as nobody answered...

No, unfortunately you can't trade youaki between the first & 2nd games, however there's some content you can get when you link the data, ther mysterious photo option in the first game can be read by a certain person in the second game & if he finds a newly created photo on your SD card he will give you a special medal that can get you 1 of 3 special youykai.

From youkai watch 2 you can trade between all 3 versions, not sure myself if you can trade from the 2nd games to the spinoff busters games but i suspect not.

Honke arrived in the mail. I now own three versions of a video game aimed at little Japanese kids.

But, the case is shiny so I have no regrets.

Dragoshi1

Grinding is a pain in Busters, currently rolling with these guys at Lv43;

Yukki Onna
Buster Jibanyan
Honobono
Helmsman(the floating feudal era head)

Which stat is better for Buster Jibanyan, the red or purple? Purple on Yukki Onna I have nearing 300, and she deals equivalent damage with her charged attacks, but with Jibanyan, I have him nearing 250 in the red stat, and he does a fraction of that stat as damage. Basic attack will do 45-70 for example.

Flunkie

Banned
Honke arrived in the mail. I now own three versions of a video game aimed at little Japanese kids.

But, the case is shiny so I have no regrets.
There is no shame in liking Yo-Kai Watch dude. If that was the case, half of GAF would be childish for liking "kids'" cartoons ( and/or anime).

Linius

That Pokémon avatar, you're such a child!
o3abnfi.png

Impotaku

Grinding is a pain in Busters, currently rolling with these guys at Lv43;

Yukki Onna
Buster Jibanyan
Honobono
Helmsman(the floating feudal era head)

Which stat is better for Buster Jibanyan, the red or purple? Purple on Yukki Onna I have nearing 300, and she deals equivalent damage with her charged attacks, but with Jibanyan, I have him nearing 250 in the red stat, and he does a fraction of that stat as damage. Basic attack will do 45-70 for example.

Yeah grinding for orbs is a bit of a chore i have to admit, takes ages to level up once you get to higher levels. Shame you can't level up just by fighting, but that's me just been lazy i guess lol, still am not strong enough even at level 50 to take on the Robonyan No'28 boss.

As for stats. I can help out a bit.

The red stat is ちから which is the strength of physical attacks.
The purple stat is ようりょく which is the strength of your non physical attacks. Like your fire or water attacks or in healing or your shield ability if you have it.
The blue stat is まもり which is the protection against taking damage.
The cyan stat is すばやさ which is your speed which will be either
ふつう Normal, はやい Fast, or おそい Slow

The brown stat is スキル which is a description of your special skill.

Dragoshi1

Yeah grinding for orbs is a bit of a chore i have to admit, takes ages to level up once you get to higher levels. Shame you can't level up just by fighting, but that's me just been lazy i guess lol, still am not strong enough even at level 50 to take on the Robonyan No'28 boss.

As for stats. I can help out a bit.

The red stat is ちから which is the strength of physical attacks.
The purple stat is ようりょく which is the strength of your non physical attacks. Like your fire or water attacks or in healing or your shield ability if you have it.
The blue stat is まもり which is the protection against taking damage.
The cyan stat is すばやさ which is your speed which will be either
ふつう Normal, はやい Fast, or おそい Slow

The brown stat is スキル which is a description of your special skill.

Thanks a bunch for the stat explanations, didn't know a higher purple stat equals better healing! I've been specc'ing Honobono for HP and Defense.

So with Busters Jibanyan it would be better to leave him with a higher Physical stat than nonphysical?

It's hard to tell for me what his short range beam burst is, sure it's nonphysical technically, but I feel it is aided by a higher physical Atk than nonphysical.

Tusk

Finally got the 3rd busters set today in the mail. Between two boxes I amazingly got a full set. Well, excluding the Ikkaku hagure. I instead ended up with 2 Master Nyada. Not complaining.

Now to wait for December for the next sets.

Finally got the 3rd busters set today in the mail. Between two boxes I amazingly got a full set. Well, excluding the Ikkaku hagure. I instead ended up with 2 Master Nyada. Not complaining.
Ikkaku's one of my favorite Yo-Kai so I would've been pissed. lol

Impotaku

Congrats on the full set Tusk, how many sets you completed so far?

Currently locating all the arcade medals that i'm missing, there's 15 of them to get back up to date a mix of daikitchi, onikitchi & utakitchi. Love the artwork on the daikitchi medals it's some of the most stunning of all the medals as they are a mix of hologram & foil.

61bMyx%2BYVgL.jpg
61lcsd7ZlpL.jpg

Also going for all the hagure ones from the various sets as they are trickier to find & some of them are in low numbers to buy so it's safter to aim for those before they dry up. Out of all of them the ones where tsuchinoko appears as the secret look amazing, the rainbow holo effect is strikingly good.
61HBBZNhCYL.jpg
61tMveiVwVL.jpg
61NXpZaXsyL.jpg

The newest arcade medals which are now utakitchi ones are currently going for 3000+ yen, hoping they drop in price a bitbefore i pick them up. Only 2 released in the arcade machine so far.
61klo1Xw7GL.jpg
61sEl7oOETL.jpg

Impotaku

The extent on my arcade medal collection so far, keep them all in a separate binder away from the main sets, also have the blue special attack medals in there but those will eventually get their own binder.
IMG_0960%20res.jpg

About to start
rescuing all the stoned Yo-Kai
on Ganso. Current team:
WVW69ihS9nsKXtEaor

Probably gonna ditch Arai soon because I don't like his looks. Same with the butterfly. lol. Just now decided to avoid Gacha stuff until post-game to attempt to keep things mildly interesting. (Honke will be where I trade some gacha stuff over from the get-go to have a decent team and then just rush through everything :p)

Gonna start plowing through the end soon. Just gotta wrap up my part of a group project and away we goooooo.

EDIT: For those not familiar with the series, my team is 2 A-Ranks, 2 B-Ranks, and 2 E-Ranks that evolve into A- and B-Ranks respectively. And I only have a C-Rank watch. First run-through my team was, like, E- and D-Ranks at this point. lol

Yeah, I've linked Ganso and Shin'uchi together already. Gonna do Honke too when I'm not feeling lazy and then put it on Ganso and Honke as I beat them.

Theorymon

So I'm a pretty big Pokemon fan, and gave the Yo-Kai Watch demo a try... liked it quite a bit! I'll probably pick the game up when I have some cash to spare!

I got some questions though, and I figure this is the best thread to post them in!

While I'm fine with just playing the game's storyline, I'm curious to see if Yo-kai Watch has competitive potential like Pokemon. I know that sadly, only the sequel has online play, so I'm mostly gonna ask questions about that!

1. Does Yo-Kai Watch 2 have a competitive community of some sort? It'd be nice if there was say... a Smogon for Yo-Kai watch, but I imagine its too young for that. I imagine the game would be analyzed differently than Pokemon wold too, because based off of what I played in the demo... I'd imagine team analyses for Yo-Kai teams would work much better than individual Pokemon analyses.

2. So I read this thread and heard that sadly, Yo-Kai Watch seems to use hidden stat systems like Pokemon. Is there anything like breeding in the series, or am I going to be forced to painfully soft reset for stuff to have a competitively viable team? I still have nightmares about soft reseting for Cresselia in Omega Ruby x_x

3. How does the stat system work? Is it as simple as Pokemons, where you can just look at raw or base stats and go "well I should invest in x amount of EVs to outspeed / survive this attack", or is it more complicated than that?

4. Is there a database of ability effects and type charts of some sort? Mainly for team building purposes.

5. How is the online battle support? Is there anything as extensive as Pokemon XY / ORAS's battle spot ladders, or is it just bare bones friend code exchanges?

I mean worst case senario, if competitive Yo-Kai watch isn't anything to write home about, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the ingame stuff too, just like I enjoy Shin Megami Tensei and Pokemon. Still though, I can't help but love the idea of having more "competitive monster battling" games beyond Pokemon with a decent userbase!

I'll into more detail later when I have the time but to sum it up... Yes. EDIT: Mostly an online thing though I think? That people just do for fun. But Yes. Just Yes.

Can you read Japanese? That'll make the difference between a few links or having to write a lot. :lol:

But one thing I'll touch on for now... Hidden stat systems... In 2 "IVs" have a pretty small variance (outside of HP which is a little bit bigger), *and* you're always going to get roughly the same stat total (confirmed this via wiki magic). Single stat points also don't matter as much as they do in Pokemon. So you really just make sure you have something that isn't totally fucked up and don't worry about too much about it. There's no breeding but it's not a huge deal because of that.

The other hidden stat system is nature (in this game it affects stat growth) and it's straightforward: Get Yo-Kai, use right book, done. There's also this thing called Training but it's not really hidden. EDIT: Oh but Yo-Kai usually come with a good nature so combined with the above it's really hard to totally fuck up a Yo-Kai.

Theorymon

I'll into more detail later when I have the time but to sum it up... Yes. EDIT: Mostly an online thing though I think? That people just do for fun. But Yes. Just Yes.

Can you read Japanese? That'll make the difference between a few links or having to write a lot. :lol:

But one thing I'll touch on for now... Hidden stat systems... In 2 "IVs" have a pretty small variance (outside of HP which is a little bit bigger), *and* you're always going to get roughly the same stat total (confirmed this via wiki magic). Single stat points also don't matter as much as they do in Pokemon. So you really just make sure you have something that isn't totally fucked up and don't worry about too much about it. There's no breeding but it's not a huge deal because of that.

The other hidden stat system is nature (in this game it affects stat growth) and it's straightforward: Get Yo-Kai, use right book, done. There's also this thing called Training but it's not really hidden. EDIT: Oh but Yo-Kai usually come with a good nature so combined with the above it's really hard to totally fuck up a Yo-Kai.

Sadly, I don't know any Japanese, though I do have online friends that do, but I'm not sure they have time to read a bunch of stuff to help me understand competitive Yo-Kai Watch lol. I wouldn't mind the links regardless though, just in case :p

Good to hear that single stat points aren't as big of a factor in Yo-Kai Watch. Even with Gen 6's massive improvements towards building and playing competitively on cart, I still play on the sims on the side because breeding still isn't quite snappy enough for playtesting stuff!

Have some time so... Have a longass post! EDIT: Holy shit this is long. >_________________>
1. Does Yo-Kai Watch 2 have a competitive community of some sort? It'd be nice if there was say... a Smogon for Yo-Kai watch, but I imagine its too young for that. I imagine the game would be analyzed differently than Pokemon wold too, because based off of what I played in the demo... I'd imagine team analyses for Yo-Kai teams would work much better than individual Pokemon analyses.

2. So I read this thread and heard that sadly, Yo-Kai Watch seems to use hidden stat systems like Pokemon. Is there anything like breeding in the series, or am I going to be forced to painfully soft reset for stuff to have a competitively viable team? I still have nightmares about soft reseting for Cresselia in Omega Ruby x_x

3. How does the stat system work? Is it as simple as Pokemons, where you can just look at raw or base stats and go "well I should invest in x amount of EVs to outspeed / survive this attack", or is it more complicated than that?

4. Is there a database of ability effects and type charts of some sort? Mainly for team building purposes.

5. How is the online battle support? Is there anything as extensive as Pokemon XY / ORAS's battle spot ladders, or is it just bare bones friend code exchanges?

I mean worst case senario, if competitive Yo-Kai watch isn't anything to write home about, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the ingame stuff too, just like I enjoy Shin Megami Tensei and Pokemon. Still though, I can't help but love the idea of having more "competitive monster battling" games beyond Pokemon with a decent userbase!
1) Not like Smogon. But you do have people who play online in a competitive fashion for fun. Standard rules enforced in random battles allow you up to 2 S ranks (including up to one Oni), up to 2 A ranks, and as many other thingies as you want. No other rules I think. IIRC there's some benefit for winning without using your 2 S/A ranks but I can't remember what it is.

2) Yeah, no breeding. But I already covered why it's not a huge issue in that earlier post.
3) Stat System "features" (note that standard level is 60):
  • "IVs": Variance is small and your rolls will tend to be stable, with "extreme" rolls - and by that I mean like 5 more/less than the average - being relatively rare. Stat totals will be extremely stable because the game has max/min "IV" totals.
  • Natures: Every time you gain exp, you get hidden points towards a stat or stats depending on your nature. Yo-Kai will usually come with a decent nature. Nature also decides your Yo-Kai's AI, but I've tested it and you can use one nature for stat growth and then switch to the one you want for its AI.

And when fusing two Yo-Kai it will do some averaging magic to maintain a total of 26-sh or lower across the board.
  • Training: Each Yo-Kai can be trained at a certain facility up to 5 times. You can choose between:
    1. +5 Attack, -2 Defense
    2. +5 Defense, -2 Speed
    3. +5 Spirit Power, -2 Speed
    4. +5 Speed, -2 Defense
    You can also reset your Yo-Kai's training at will.
There's also equipment of course. You can turn a Yo-Kai medal into a soul, which you can level up by feeding it other souls. You can also fuse certain ones into souls that basically have an ability's affect with no level. Souls will generally either give your Yo-Kai a stat boost, give them an ability, or enhance their Inspiriting.

4) Some lists from a site I like, though there are plenty of other cool sites out there that I use (all in Japanese though >_____>):
Yo-Kai list with rough (due to "IVs") Level 60 stats, abilities, type resistances/weaknesses, etc.
Combined Spirit list + recommended spirits
Ability list
Bottom has a Nature List

5) You have a rating. Start at 0, work your way up to... I believe the max is 3K. Every battle also gives you points for a shop where you can buy stuff like Crank-A-Kai coins, and of course you get more points if you win.

But there's also a Honke VS Ganso thing. Each player is ranked on their side based on how many points they earned in a given week. But then at the end of the week the sides are compared and the one with more points wins and its participants get an item.

I don't actually play Yo-Kai Watch 2 "competitively" myself, but that's largely due to not really having a team for it ATM. I plan to make a "real" team eventually though. Probably after I beat all 3 versions and then beat all of Shin'uchi's post-game bosses. But luckily for you I sometimes got really bored during class so I learned these things. lol.

Meffer

So I'm going to be very busy next week, so I can't make an OT for the game like I was intending to do. Anybody want to take up on it?

So I'm going to be very busy next week, so I can't make an OT for the game like I was intending to do. Anybody want to take up on it?

Ask in the OT thread. If nobody claims it in the next couple days I'll do it.

Why not just use this thread as it already covers all the games.
General threads don't contain the same info and concentrated discussion that OTs do. Turning this into the Yokai Watch OT would make you guys lose your place to talk about the sequels in depth.

Meffer

Ask in the OT thread. If nobody claims it in the next couple days I'll do it.

General threads don't contain the same info and concentrated discussion that OTs do. Turning this into the Yokai Watch OT would make you guys lose your place to talk about the sequels in depth.
Thank you, you did a great job on the LBX OT.

kubus

I claimed the OT a while ago in the OT |OT| and although I have exams next week I still intend to make the best of it and deliver a nice thread.

If anyone wants to collaborate on it or just wants to send in some ideas, my PM inbox is open :).

I claimed the OT a while ago in the OT |OT| and although I have exams next week I still intend to make the best of it and deliver a nice thread.

If anyone wants to collaborate on it or just wants to send in some ideas, my PM inbox is open :).
Meffer didn't claim it? Ah I see.
I didn't check the actual claim in the thread, sorry!
I look forward to your OT! :)

ITT is what happens when somebody doesn't check the thread for claiming OTs before deciding to make the OT. lol

Glad it all got sorted out.

ChrisDM

I actually PMd you a while ago about something and you never got back to me. :(

Tusk

November is looking to be a great month for monster collecting games.

YW localized, Super Mystery Dungeon, Moco Moco Friends. Then there's that access to the Moon Rabbit Team update with Coro Coro. Pretty exciting stuff.

kubus

I actually PMd you a while ago about something and you never got back to me. :(
o_O
Really? When was this?

I tend to respond slow when I'm busy with school and it may have slipped through, but I try to reply to all my PMs. I just took a look in my inbox but don't see your message. I don't know what it was about but try sending it again if you still need a reply :(. Sorry.

ChrisDM

o_O
Really? When was this?

I tend to respond slow when I'm busy with school and it may have slipped through, but I try to reply to all my PMs. I just took a look in my inbox but don't see your message. I don't know what it was about but try sending it again if you still need a reply :(. Sorry.

Oh it's no worries at all! I should have wrote more in that last post. I just figured you had a ton of PMs and just never got around to seeing it and it totally wasn't a big deal at all. I'll try sending it again!

& boy do I feel you about being busy with school. I just started Graduate School & it's insane. :(

Edit: Sent you the last message again.

Impotaku

Found some interesting info after watching a Japanese person review the American youkai watch smartphone app.

From what i could see from the medals listed in the dictionary, it seems you will at some point you'll be at least getting the first 5 legend medals. Ikemenken, yamabuki oni & bushinyan were all the medaland lottery campaign exclusives. Hanasakaji was originally bundled with the series 3 datasheet set for one of the binders & shurakoma was the secret medal in the 3rd medal set.

Looks like at least topanyan & sapphirenyan which were the first 2 campaign medals in the first set of medals will also be available.

Meffer

Found some interesting info after watching a Japanese person review the American youkai watch smartphone app.

From what i could see from the medals listed in the dictionary, it seems you will at some point you'll be at least getting the first 5 legend medals. Ikemenken, yamabuki oni & bushinyan were all the medaland lottery campaign exclusives. Hanasakaji was originally bundled with the series 3 datasheet set for one of the binders & shurakoma was the secret medal in the 3rd medal set.

Looks like at least topanyan & sapphirenyan which were the first 2 campaign medals in the first set of medals will also be available.

Wait, there's an american yokai watch app? Is it on iOS right now?

ChrisDM

It is! It has been out for a while now, even before the launch of the TV show, but it doesn't do a ton as of right now.

Meffer

So yeah, I tried out the app. It's a cool little app, and some Japanese medals I had do work with the camera like Jibanyan and Dark Fubukihime. But I can't register them because the QR codes won't work. Pretty much confirms that medals are region locked in most regards, but we already knew I suppose.

Did they really change Inugami to Frostail? Because that sounds like something someone from Deviantart would come up with by just looking at the Yo-Kai and not even hearing of the Japanese name. :X

EDIT: Getting Busters this week as a reward for how tough this week will be in terms of schoolwork. You need one of the digital Yo-Kai still? Tusk I think it was?

squadr0n

Which Yo-Kai watch game is the one being released in the U.S.? As in which Japanese version are we getting first? Are they just going to release them in order or are we starting with a sequel? I haven't been following much of the information regarding the U.S. Release but kinda interested all of a sudden.

Impotaku

Seems they are releasing them in order so it's the first game thats been released. Weither the rest will get released depends on how well the first game sells.

Top Bottom