• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Meffer

Haha I like this one. I actually literally put "So it's like Pokemon, right?" in the OP as part of a faq because it's getting so ridiculous :p.
Thanks, I thought it up since SMT is pretty much the first Monster RPG and it's clear Pokemon has some similarities with it. It's a ironic joke.

My attempt: "So it's like Pokemon which is like Digimon which is like SMT which is like Monster Rancher which is like Robopon which is like Dragon Quest Monsters, right?"

Wait that's too long.
Haha I like this one. I actually literally put "So it's like Pokemon, right?" in the OP as part of a faq because it's getting so ridiculous :p.
Q: So it's like Pokemon, right?
A: It has hidden stat systems too (in the sequel at least) so yes.

L.O.R.D

just watched the first episode and something not right here
the boy just saw a ghost , but he is not even interested in it ? i mean,,i know it's an anime
but really ?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, besides more Yokai, what's the biggest content that us poor US folks are missing out by starting with 1 instead of them just localizing 2 first?

My attempt: "So it's like Pokemon which is like Digimon which is like SMT which is like Monster Rancher which is like Robopon which is like Dragon Quest Monsters, right?"

You know I was looking up this game the other day and realized it was a lot like Yokai Watch in terms of its reception, a ton of folks bashing it for "not being Pokemon" and getting upset that the designs had a light-heartedness to them and didn't take itself too seriously. That last part bugs me because I love unorthodox designs (many of my favorite Pokemon are such designs in fact), and they always get thrown under the rug while people praise the generic cat/dogs/dragons to death.

So, besides more Yokai, what's the biggest content that us poor US folks are missing out by starting with 1 instead of them just localizing 2 first? .
We're not missing anything. It's the complete first game.
When it came out in Japan they weren't "missing things" from the second game because it wasn't out yet.

It would suck if they skipped straight to 2. Then it'd be another crappy situation of a Japanese series only being partially available in the West.

I remember reading about Robopon and Metal Walker in Nintendo Power but I could never find them in store. They always seemed so cool. Nowadays Monster Strike is pretty much the spiritual successor to Metal Walker and it's alright, but I've never tried Robopon. I've heard that it's okay, but really grindy.

On-topic though, I just watched the first 9 episodes of the dubbed Yo-kai Watch anime in anticipation of the game. I really like it. It's pretty high quality for what it is and I'll probably keep watching it.

R0ckman

the boy just saw a ghost , but he is not even interested in it ? i mean,,i know it's an anime
but really ?

It's suppose to reflect how the new generation just doesn't give a damn about any of this stuff. There was an episode where some classic youkai don't scare the kids in this age and they ask what the kids are afraid of in this time and Nate shows them some western horror monstrosity movies, the youkai scream in terror.

ChrisDM

Wait that's too long.

Q: So it's like Pokemon, right?
A: It has hidden stat systems too (in the sequel at least) so yes.

MONSTER RANCHER OH MY GOD. That was like my introduction to this 'genre'. I miss those games oh so much. I think? Unless that's nostalgia lol.

Watch Da Birdie

We're not missing anything. It's the complete first game.
When it came out in Japan they weren't "missing things" from the second game because it wasn't out yet.

It would suck if they skipped straight to 2. Then it'd be another crappy situation of a Japanese series only being partially available in the West.

But 2's basically a retelling of 1 with new content right, so we wouldn't be missing out on any story beats? Or am I mistaken in that.

But 2's basically a retelling of 1 with new content right, so we wouldn't be missing out on any story beats? Or am I mistaken in that.

Nah, it's a totally new story. A true sequel.

Are you confusing it with the third version of 2?
They went the Pokemon route for YW2 where there are two versions then a third that came later with enhanced content.

Watch Da Birdie

Nah, it's a totally new story. A true sequel.

Are you confusing it with the third version of 2?
They went the Pokemon route for YW2 where there are two versions then a third that came later with enhanced content.

Oh, okay.

Still though, I'm interested in what the major changes between 1 and 2 are. I know there's no multiplayer, but that doesn't bother me since I don't even bother with that much in most games like Pokemon, but any egregious or annoying gameplay elements not present in the sequel.

Meffer

Oh, okay.

Still though, I'm interested in what the major changes between 1 and 2 are. I know there's no multiplayer, but that doesn't bother me since I don't even bother with that much in most games like Pokemon, but any egregious or annoying gameplay elements not present in the sequel.
The menu UI is vastly improved. Menu functions look like app's you can move around to organize however you want. You also a new watch that adds new functions in battles.

Oh man, what's that phrase that the main character says all the time? Weak sauce?

Yo-Kai Watch |OT| Not Weak Sauce!

Hahah probably not. :(

EDIT: By the way Kubus, don't worry about the PM. Was just asking if you had any Yo-Kai merch you'd be willing to sell like stickers.

------------------------------------------------
EDIT 2: Came here to post this and forgot! I didn't know the Nintendo NYC event would have early merch! I wonder if they're selling it. ShikabaneHime13, let us know!

http://awaketetsuya.tumblr.com/post/132615901031/kimurakoichi-nintendo-world-is-full-of-yokais

They'll likely just be showing it off since preorders for the watch open tomorrow. The only thing I could see them selling woulf be maybe a plush or two and giving away any leftover NYCC Jibanyn medals that were handed out at the booth. But hey, could be surprised.

And speaking of preorder, if you preorder the watch before 12/31 you get an exclusive "Paws of Fury" Jibanyan medal

Meffer

They'll likely just be showing it off since preorders for the watch open tomorrow. The only thing I could see them selling woulf be maybe a plush or two and giving away any leftover NYCC Jibanyn medals that were handed out at the booth. But hey, could be surprised.

And speaking of preorder, if you preorder the watch before 12/31 you get an exclusive "Paws of Fury" Jibanyan medal
Ooo, where? Amazon?

Impotaku

Anyone who has the sequel, where do I buy chocobars and gum? I think I need it for a quest but I've only found some in boxes.

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet.

The dagashi shop has both of those items, it's the sweet shop run by the old lady. Go north from your house till you get to the school then go west to the old part of town. the sweet shop is pretty close by as you enter that area.

Tusk

It'll probably be one of the blue finisher medals. Unless they made another unique medal.

Cool that gamestop will have the toys.

Impotaku

It'll probably be one of the blue finisher medals. Unless they made another unique medal.

Cool that gamestop will have the toys.

Yup sounds exactly like the one that came out of either the 2nd gashapon set or the first gum medal set.

On other news the McDonalds uta medal has finally surfaced. Available today in the newest happy set, suffice to say i have set my friend on it to get hold of one for us. McDonalds lunch will be on me hehe.

The set contains a 2016 calendar with schedule stickers and the hideous & yet strangely compelling song medal
youkai_calendar_main01_151106.jpg

Tusk

Yup sounds exactly like the one that came out of either the 2nd gashapon set or the first gum medal set.

On other news the McDonalds uta medal has finally surfaced. Available today in the newest happy set, suffice to say i have set my friend on it to get hold of one for us. McDonalds lunch will be on me hehe.

The set contains a 2016 calendar with schedule stickers and the hideous & yet strangely compelling song medal
youkai_calendar_main01_151106.jpg

Oh nice. I wonder what the song will be like, shame there's no sample on the yotunes site. I expect it to be something funny though.

Meffer

Anybody have a good image of the QR code of the Jibanyan NYComiCon medal? I want to see if you get something special in the game.

So now that I've played the first game a little, I have another question.

Is there a "name rater" equivalent in Yo-kai Watch, a person who lets you change your Yo-kai nicknames?

R0ckman

Lol, was fighting a boss in the YW2, and their super was part of the freaking thriller dance! This has just as much western refrences as Japanese lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm guessing the QR codes from the JP merchandise don't work for the US version, right?

KiTA

Oh hey, this came out already?

... Man, I still haven't even sat down in front of Legend of Legacy. Nnnngh....

I'm a huge fan of the Mons Subgenre of games, how does this stack up compared to others (Dragon Quest Monsters / SMT / Pokemon / etc)?

but really ?

Also, the ghost gives the kid the Yokai Watch so that he can see yokai. How the hell can the kid see the ghost, who is also a yokai?

I've been sort of curious about this but thought the show was the stupidest thing I've sat through in years and the art style is really ugly to me, a lot of the monsters just look horrible. Should I stay away?

Also, the ghost gives the kid the Yokai Watch so that he can see yokai. How the hell can the kid see the ghost, who is also a yokai?

I've been sort of curious about this but thought the show was the stupidest thing I've sat through in years and the art style is really ugly to me, a lot of the monsters just look horrible. Should I stay away?
If you don't like the monsters or the humor in a humorous monster game, it's probably not for you. :p

If you don't like the monsters or the humor in a humorous monster game, it's probably not for you. :p

The story in Pokemon is nonsense too, doesn't stop the games from being fun. And not all of the monsters look gross. Like the cat is cute (though it seems like there's a bunch of them for different elements or something, kind of overkill) but that weird dog thing with the human face is just disgusting. Not sure what they were going for with that design but it is just not pleasant to look at.

Some Yo-Kai can be seen by humans. Also, some humans can see Yo-Kai without a watch.

I can suspend my disbelief to an extent, but the whole first episode was full of just dumb stuff like that. Human can't see Yokai.*

*Except for the ones they can.

The kid's reaction to seeing a ghost was just badly written too. I don't expect a kid's game to have some Pulitzer Prize winning story or anything but it really feels like they designed this around the spirit characters to sell merchandise and then at the last second remembered "Oh shit, there has to be a reason for people to want to collect all these things, doesn't there? Oh well, get an intern on it, I want a script on my desk tomorrow afternoon."

ChrisDM

The story in Pokemon is nonsense too, doesn't stop the games from being fun. And not all of the monsters look gross. Like the cat is cute (though it seems like there's a bunch of them for different elements or something, kind of overkill) but that weird dog thing with the human face is just disgusting. Not sure what they were going for with that design but it is just not pleasant to look at.

I can suspend my disbelief to an extent, but the whole first episode was full of just dumb stuff like that. Human can't see Yokai.*

*Except for the ones they can.

The kid's reaction to seeing a ghost was just badly written too. I don't expect a kid's game to have some Pulitzer Prize winning story or anything but it really feels like they designed this around the spirit characters to sell merchandise and then at the last second remembered "Oh shit, there has to be a reason for people to want to collect all these things, doesn't there? Oh well, get an intern on it, I want a script on my desk tomorrow afternoon."

It kind of just sounds like you're not a fan of almost everything about it. :p

For some reason it's still really compelling to me. I really like the idea of someone doing a fresh take on Pokemon without all the package of nearly a 1,000 monsters, the IV nonsense, the tired Gym and Elite 4 progression, etc.

I'm trying the demo right now, initial impression are very positive but I think it's mostly because I haven't turned my 3DS on in months and forgot how much I like the 3D effect.

ChrisDM

For some reason it's still really compelling to me. I really like the idea of someone doing a fresh take on Pokemon without all the package of nearly a 1,000 monsters, the IV nonsense, the tired Gym and Elite 4 progression, etc.

I'm trying the demo right now, initial impression are very positive but I think it's mostly because I haven't turned my 3DS on in months and forgot how much I like the 3D effect.

I definitely agree with IV nonsense hahah. Lemme know your final thoughts on the demo because many people say it doesn't give the best impression of how deep the game actually is, especially combat.

Meffer

I definitely agree with IV nonsense hahah. Lemme know your final thoughts on the demo because many people say it doesn't give the best impression of how deep the game actually is, especially combat.
Yeah, playing the demo really doesn't give people a good idea how deep the full game is.

Top Bottom