• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Well it doesn't really matter much in 1 due to the lack of online multiplayer. And in 2 I've covered before how it's not really a big deal.

It's just something to be aware of, that's all.

Also for some reason I'm insanely happy that Kyubi's English voice is just as "Is that a girl or a boy?" as the Japanese version, if not even more so.

Meffer

Well it doesn't really matter much in 1 due to the lack of online multiplayer. And in 2 I've covered before how it's not really a big deal.

Also for some reason I'm insanely happy that Kyubi's English voice is just as "Is that a girl or a boy?" as the Japanese version, if not even more so.
It can be either you want it to be.

KiTA

Oh hey, this came out already?

... Man, I still haven't even sat down in front of Legend of Legacy. Nnnngh....

I'm a huge fan of the Mons Subgenre of games, how does this stack up compared to others (Dragon Quest Monsters / SMT / Pokemon / etc)?

So I guess what I'm asking is how is this on the spectrum of Pokemon <-> Dragon Quest Monsters?

Pokemon are all set creatures with a very limited moveset, kind of a tournament friendly thing going on in the design. IVs, EVs, etc etc. Yes, your Pikachu might be a little different than someone else's, but it's still going to be a Pikachu.

DQM and SMT are set creatures but with a ton of customization due to breeding and fusion and the like. Fusions, breeding, inheritable skillsets, etc.

... Maybe I should just pick it up and give it a whirl.

Impotaku

Just one week till the newest issue of corocoro comes out, i'm curious if the gettogumi update does indeed come in that issue.

Mainly due to the plastic gettogumi credit card, i have a feeling the code that's blanked out on the front will be the one you need to put into the eshop to get the update.
next02.jpg

That's quite the exclusive if true as that's quite a few weeks before the update goes live for everyone else just to get it off the eshop.

Tusk

Just one week till the newest issue of corocoro comes out, i'm curious if the gettogumi update does indeed come in that issue.

Mainly due to the plastic gettogumi credit card, i have a feeling the code that's blanked out on the front will be the one you need to put into the eshop to get the update.
next02.jpg

That's quite the exclusive if true as that's quite a few weeks before the update goes live for everyone else just to get it off the eshop.

Yeah it's probably the censored out stuff. I don't see any other reason to censor it.
I hope it's got an actual credit card feel to it.

Also just watched that vid for the MCD song medal. Pretty neat. I love the nya'd jingle at the end.

Impotaku

On the corocoro site it mentions that it's a plastic card so i'm guessing they went all out to make it feel like a credit card. Corocoro have some amazing exclusives sometimes, especially for game stuff.

I still remember the mario advance 4 e-reader cards they gave away.

I definitely agree with IV nonsense hahah. Lemme know your final thoughts on the demo because many people say it doesn't give the best impression of how deep the game actually is, especially combat.
The demo actually sold me, it's true it's doesn't give you a good sense of the combat, but it at least shows you that it's nothing like Pokemon.

Basically it's exactly what I wanted, I've been craving Pokemon but the same old progression and monsters are getting really old. This scratches the "catch em all" itch but is unique enough to be interesting.

And yeah, I'm only an hour in and the combat is way more interesting than the demo lets on.
In the demo you have a wheel of six monters, three in a front row and three in the back. Monsters in the front row automatically attack and can also use special moves that you activate with short mini-games.

That's about all I got from the demo, but the actual game explains that Yokai use different attacks depending on their position, so they're auto-attacks have different effects based on whether they're in the front-right slot vs the front-left. When they're in the back slots they use defensive abilities.

How you get the Yokai is really interesting compared to Pokemon too, you hunt around your town and find them haunting people or hiding in trees and other things like that. So far there hasn't been any random battles, which I really like. It sells the idea that you're hunting for Yokai, not walking around in a patch of grass that has an infinite amount of monsters running around in it.

The writing is also way, way better than the idiotic cartoon if that put anyone else off. The scene where you meet the first Yokai goes from being unbelievably ridiculous to pretty funny, and there's a lot of small touches that are handled a lot better. In the show and game there's a scene early on where your character's parents are arguing. In the show they yell at each other about who ate the last yogurt, and the kid comments "Who fights about yogurt?"

In the game they're having a more believable argument about the husband not helping around the house enough. Your character doesn't like them fighting and the ghost comforts him by saying "Relationships are complex. Parents can be best friends one minute and worst enemies the next." It goes from being eye-rolling stupid to kind of touching, and makes the feel of the game way more interesting. I like the idea that the Yokai create small flaws in people more than them making people act ridiculous.

Anyway, long story short I like it a lot so far. Probably won't read this thread a lot while I play because I think it's fun not knowing what any of the Yokai look like, but I'll post more impressions as I go.

Navi

Decided to pick the game up along with Triforce heroes. So I'm down to join the discuss! Sucks multiplayer wasn't included... still got the game anyway

R0ckman

So I'm playing the sequel, kind of stuck, doing a key quest that I think requires me to get passed a cave in nagiseki? The issue is that its blocked by a rank C barrier and the previous story quest or other key quest did not funnel me into any situation to unlock rank C, unless I missed something in dialogue?

Do you mind to link to the post where you talk about IV equivalents for this game? I'm really interested in how stuff like that works in the game, but finding information at this point (in english) is really hard.

Do you mind to link to the post where you talk about IV equivalents for this game? I'm really interested in how stuff like that works in the game, but finding information at this point (in english) is really hard.
How stuff works in the sequel.

As for 1, I can try to find more detailed info. All I know right now is that "IVs" are a thing and that the variances are much bigger than in 2. The main focus of my info digging was 2, you see, because that was the game I had and the one with online multiplayer and the one where Japanese elementary schoolers kicked my ass and made motivated to find ways to humiliate them.

ChrisDM

Has anyone bought the guide or the digital version of it? They supply some examples on the Prima site but I wanna see more before I decide to get it.

That's about all I got from the demo, but the actual game explains that Yokai use different attacks depending on their position, so they're auto-attacks have different effects based on whether they're in the front-right slot vs the front-left. When they're in the back slots they use defensive abilities.

Looks like I spoke too soon there, one of the help screens made it look like that's how it works but from what I've noticed the Yokai just randomly do there own thing. I just beat the first boss Yokai and the battle system is really too simplistic. Oh well, still having fun exploring and seeing new Yokai.

Looks like I spoke too soon there, one of the help screens made it look like that's how it works but from what I've noticed the Yokai just randomly do there own thing. I just beat the first boss Yokai and the battle system is really too simplistic. Oh well, still having fun exploring and seeing new Yokai.
Yeah, they act according to their attitude. IIRC the first part determines how often they'll loaf around and the second part is how they behave. In at least the sequel the second part also determines what bonus stats they'll get.

Until, like, the post-game it can be hard to get the books with the best attitudes that ensure the most consistent behavior. For example, for a physical attacker Grumpy is acceptable but you really want Rough.

Weird, I wish you had just a little more direct influence. I don't mind auto-attacking, like I loved the combat in FFXII, but at this point it just feels completely random. It doesn't help that the special attacks all use the same little mini-games too, combat feels pretty brain-dead. I just beat the boss in the spa and just kept out my cicada guy, the red cat, and the Tattletell, she kept them healed while they pounded away. Only time I ever switched was if someone needed to be purified, and I just used the specials immediately whenever the meters filled up.

Still having fun exploring the town though. Is combat in the second game different at all? There's a lot to like about this game, if the battles required more thought it could be great.

Impotaku

Well that's the McDonalds medal taken care of. My friend picked one up for us, as he usually goes for a mcdonalds at the weekend.
mcd.jpg

Now onto the next promo one, seems theres a second kotoshi no owari medal. The ichigo nyan one comes with a charadeco xmas cake, the melon nyan version will come with various clothing items. Will need to keep an eye out for that one, love how they are linked as a pair, in the background theres a melon on the cake in the strawberry version & the same in the melon version.

8ccd83639b54fb4205eed9cc5632607d.jpg

KOTOSHI-NO-OWARI.png

Back from the launch event and had a blast! A lot of people passing by those of us lined up since Friday night asked what we were waiting on and we were all too happy to tell them about Yo-kai Watch and the launch party. Because of this, a lot of people wandered in, gave the game a try at the stations (they had the full game on the systems and not just the demo), participated in many of the activites and many of these people that were simply curious ended up buying the game either for themselves or for their kids that were with them.

Meeting Akihiro Hino was the highlight of the event. I was initially going to have him sign both my English and Japanese copies of the first game but instead opted to have him christen my n3DS XL while my kids got their games signed. Also got to meet Krysta of the Nintendo Treehouse and a Hasbro Toys rep was there so me and a couple others with Fumika's watch from Japan asked her about the potential to get that made as well. She took pictures of the watch and said she would bring it up as it would make sense to try to cater to both the boys and girls.

Will post some pictures a little later. Have errands to do before I can relax

How stuff works in the sequel.

As for 1, I can try to find more detailed info. All I know right now is that "IVs" are a thing and that the variances are much bigger than in 2. The main focus of my info digging was 2, you see, because that was the game I had and the one with online multiplayer and the one where Japanese elementary schoolers kicked my ass and made motivated to find ways to humiliate them.

Awesome, that's a nice little start. I'm loving the game so far and I think I've decided to make a website for it. There are a couple of sites out there already, but they're pretty light on actual game mechanics, so that's really something I would like to work on. I've already started working on a sortable "Database" of sorts that will have a listing of all the different Yo-Kai, with their stats and specials.

If you find any more info, definitely let me know! I've been trying to read stuff from the JP sites, but I have to rely on Google Translate, which is iffy at best.

ChrisDM

Awesome, that's a nice little start. I'm loving the game so far and I think I've decided to make a website for it. There are a couple of sites out there already, but they're pretty light on actual game mechanics, so that's really something I would like to work on. I've already started working on a sortable "Database" of sorts that will have a listing of all the different Yo-Kai, with their stats and specials.

If you find any more info, definitely let me know! I've been trying to read stuff from the JP sites, but I have to rely on Google Translate, which is iffy at best.

I'm so happy to see you say this. One of the reasons I was going to buy the official guide is I was afraid that a vibrant resource or strategy community would not grow out of this game since most people that love Yo-Kai are super invested with the Japanese side of things and names. Thanks to anyone that does stuff like this. :D

I'm so happy to see you say this. One of the reasons I was going to buy the official guide is I was afraid that a vibrant resource or strategy community would not grow out of this game since most people that love Yo-Kai are super invested with the Japanese side of things and names. Thanks to anyone that does stuff like this. :D

Hah, don't thank me yet. Still got a lot of work to do, but I'm definitely motivated. This game has activated my nostalgia like crazy (Pokemon), so I'm really feeling it.

Did a little digging. Yeah, the nature thing applies to 1 too. And "IVs" do indeed have a much larger range than in 2. I don't believe 1 has any Training or souls, though.

Sadly, I'm not sure if anyone has actually delved into the game's code to figure out the technical details of how "IVs" work. Not even sure how you would do that. :/

Impotaku

... Why is it playing a remix of Ghostbusters? Is that a joke from that channel or something?

Youkai busters is a parody of ghostbusters from Whisper looking like the staypuffed marshmallow man to the firehouse headquaters to the blatantly looking car they ride around in, They aren't saying ghostbusters in the music but GO Busters. This is one of the reasons i love YW there are so many parody things & word puns.

Impotaku

More promo medal fun,

The Enma daiou medal is the 2nd medal for going to see the next YW film. The vader mode USA pyon was given to those who reserved a ticket, i think the Enma medal will be given to ones that buy a ticket on the day.

Looks pretty unique
enma.jpg

The film trailer looks pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHlX7R2ZfMw

The next medal there will be 55,555 of them given away, the snag been that they are only given to the design contest entrants. Will have to resort to yahoo auctions for this one i think.
medal.jpg

ChrisDM

Hah, don't thank me yet. Still got a lot of work to do, but I'm definitely motivated. This game has activated my nostalgia like crazy (Pokemon), so I'm really feeling it.

Well hey if you need any help with like formatting or grammatical stuff, let me know. I've been editing people's works since I was a teenager hahah.

Shoyz

Try this:

from

The qr code seems to point to hasbro's site.

The identifying groove pattern on the bottoms of the medals are displaced (JP/US), but the actual pattern itself looks identical. So it looks like the only 'region locking' is that the grooves are misaligned with the reader so it can't scan it?

Hypothetically, if you shaved off all the plastic surrounding the reader so that you could manually align the medal to it, would a US medal then work on a Japanese watch? (and vice versa). If so, I wonder if you could transplant the innards of a Japanese watch into a US watch so that you could get the Japanese audio while collecting US medals.

I'm interested in collecting the promo medals (like the ones that come in the Yokai board games) but I hate the disney dub. (but for the record, the Toonami english dub rocks, why isn't it online anywhere?)

Edit: I just watched a video of the Hasbro watch and the plastic grooves on the watch that keep the medal straight during insertion (for scanning) are also off-centered to match the medals. Doesn't this mean that all you'd have to do to a Japanese watch to make it read US medals is cut a gap on the right side of the plastic cover? The medal would stick out of that gap but it should work, right?

Also: Speaking of the Toonami dub, Singapore got their toys a few months back. I know their medals have the names written in romaji(?) but use the Japanese grooves and play the Japanese summon songs. But do the yokai have their english or japanese voices?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do all the Yokai come back between games, or are various ones dropped in the sequels? That's one thing I think no Pokemon "clone" has ever successfully imitated, and one of the reasons I think Pokemon was never completely dethroned, it's the only monster series that has a stable set of monsters who you always can expect to see in each series of main games.

How many Yokai does 2 have in comparison to 1? Getting all the Yokai in 1 seems like a really daunting task! Does 2 let you catch some of the Boss Yokai like that dancing pig, or are they always NPC-Boss characters?

Do all the Yokai come back between games, or are various ones dropped in the sequels? That's one thing I think no Pokemon "clone" has ever successfully imitated, and one of the reasons I think Pokemon was never completely dethroned, it's the only monster series that has a stable set of monsters who you always can expect to see in each series of main games.

How many Yokai does 2 have in comparison to 1? Getting all the Yokai in 1 seems like a really daunting task! Does 2 let you catch some of the Boss Yokai like that dancing pig, or are they always NPC-Boss characters?
They all come back.

There are about twice as many Yo-Kai in 2.

For the last question (just a yes/no):
yes

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
400~ some Yokai? Jesus.

What about Yokai Watch 3, are all the Japanese Yokai coming back for that? Or is it gonna be their "Unova"?

Yeah going in I originally thought I wanted to befriend all of the Yo-kai but now that I realize how many there are I'm having second thoughts. I'm not mad by any means, I'm actually happy. I had no idea there was going to be this many. I don't even mind the palette swaps that much, it brings to mind Dragon Quest more than anything.

Meffer

Yeah going in I originally thought I wanted to befriend all of the Yo-kai but now that I realize how many there are I'm having second thoughts. I'm not mad by any means, I'm actually happy. I had no idea there was going to be this many. I don't even mind the palette swaps that much, it brings to mind Dragon Quest more than anything.
I suggest just letting them come to you whenever, don't worry about trying to get them all. It makes getting a rare one all the better. Though getting the legend Yokai requires certain Yokai which is a quest in its self.

Impotaku

Only in the game, the show went with a translated version of Geragerapo.

Was curious what it sounded like in the game, went to youube. My god that's total garbage my ears are bleeding, why the fuck did they slap autotune on it? geragera NO.

In fact why did they feel they needed to add a sung intro to the first game it was never meant to have one. I truly dread what they are going to do to the songs in the second game if they get that far.

ChrisDM

I wanna know who approved the theme that was used in today's episode. Yuck. It's not catchy at all. Gera Gera NO as someone said (Edit: Impotaku knows what's up).

Meffer

Preordered the watch at GameStop (the manager was surprised the watch was for preorder), but I couldn't for the medals. But he did say I could buy a box of them if I wanted to when they come out

Tusk

Preordered the watch at GameStop (the manager was surprised the watch was for preorder), but I couldn't for the medals. But he did say I could buy a box of them if I wanted to when they come out

Did they mention anything on that pre-order bonus? Looked at the websites and none of them mentioned it on the item page.

Top Bottom