• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Girl Kills Herself Following Rape. Alleged Rapist in BCS Title Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb

Banned
340x_amd_elizabeth_seeberg.jpg

So while reading up more on the Steubenville Rape Crew Case - I came across this story which I thought deserved it's own thread too. Searched and didn't find anything (lock if old). Edit: Should note I'm not on an anti-rape crusade. However, the stories are connected and equally shameful for everyone involved.

Backstory

Basically two years ago a beautiful young girl was raped by an unnamed Notre Dame football player. That player will be suiting up for the team Monday night during the national championship game. She killed herself following the rape, and absolutely no one has ever been punished for the incident. Despite the girl (and her family's name) being trashed by local leaders and university officials.

The details are really disgusting. I'll post some below. It's worth nothing, however, that Lizzy Seeberg was “both politically and personally conservative, a brand new member of the College Republicans who led her parish youth group and spoke openly about saving herself for marriage.”

Two years ago, Lizzy Seeberg, a 19-year-old freshman at Saint Mary’s College, across the street from Notre Dame, committed suicide after accusing an ND football player of sexually assaulting her. The friend Lizzy told immediately afterward said she was crying so hard she was having trouble breathing.

Yet after Lizzy went to the police, a friend of the player’s sent her a series of texts that frightened her as much as anything that had happened in the player’s dorm room. “Don’t do anything you would regret,” one of them said. “Messing with Notre Dame football is a bad idea.”

At the time of her death, 10 days after reporting the attack to campus police, who have jurisdiction for even the most serious crimes on school property, investigators still had not interviewed the accused. It took them five more days after she died to get around to that, though they investigated Lizzy herself quite thoroughly, even debriefing a former roommate at another school with whom she’d clashed.

Six months later — after the story had become national news — Notre Dame did convene a closed-door disciplinary hearing. The player testified that until he actually met with police, he hadn’t even known why they wanted to speak to him — though his buddy who’d warned Lizzy not to mess with Notre Dame football had spoken to investigators 13 days earlier. He was found “not responsible,” and never sat out a game.

A few months later, a resident assistant in a Notre Dame dorm drove a freshman to the hospital for a rape exam after receiving an S.O.S. call. “She said she’d been raped by a member of the football team at a party off campus,” the R.A. told me. I also spoke to the R.A.’s parents, who met the young woman that same night, when their daughter brought her to their home after leaving the hospital. They said they saw — and reported to athletic officials — a hailstorm of texts from other players, warning the young woman not to report what had happened: “They were trying to silence this girl,” the R.A.’s father told me. And did; no criminal complaint was ever filed.

Among those being congratulated for our return to gridiron glory is ND’s president, Rev. John Jenkins, who refused to meet with the Seeberg family on advice of counsel, and other school officials who’ve whispered misleadingly in many ears, mine included, in an attempt to protect the school’s brand by smearing a dead 19-year-old.

(Yes, Lizzy suffered from depression, but according to her therapists was neither “unstable” nor a teller of tales. No, she had never before accused anyone of such a thing. And no, she had never before attempted suicide.)

Source

Article is a great read, and really paints a dark and disturbing picture at the lengths to which people are willing to go to protect programs and athletes in this country.

Also this particular journalist apparently knows who the player is, but refuses to release his name at this time.

cdyhybrid

Don't forget about the student that was helping them film practice that died because of ND's negligence.

Roll Tide.

dontbemyschooldontbemyschooldontbemyscho---*click*, phew.

And yes. As someone who goes to the other school/followed the Penn State thing, this country's football worship is god damned disgusting.

340x_amd_elizabeth_seeberg.jpg

So while reading up more on the Steubenville Rape Crew Case - I came across this story which I thought deserved it's own thread too. Searched and didn't find anything (lock if old). Edit: Should note I'm not on an anti-rape crusade. However, the stories are connected and equally shameful for everyone involved.

Backstory

Basically two years ago a beautiful young girl was raped by an unnamed Notre Dame football player. That player will be suiting up for the team Monday night during the national championship game. She killed herself following the rape, and absolutely no one has ever been punished for the incident. Despite the girl (and her family's name) being trashed by local leaders and university officials.

The details are really disgusting. I'll post some below. It's worth nothing, however, that Lizzy Seeberg was “both politically and personally conservative, a brand new member of the College Republicans who led her parish youth group and spoke openly about saving herself for marriage.”

Source

Article is a great read, and really paints a dark and disturbing picture at the lengths to which people are willing to go to protect programs and athletes in this country.

Also this particular journalist apparently knows who the player is, but refuses to release his name at this time.

Sports worship is so fucking pathetic. Notre Dame is also a Catholic institution and we all know how much they love covering up horrible shit!

mjc

Disgusting. It never ceases to amaze me how scummy most college football organizations are.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It's worth nothing, however, that Lizzy Seeberg was “both politically and personally conservative, a brand new member of the College Republicans who led her parish youth group and spoke openly about saving herself for marriage.”

Only people who save themselves for marriage deserve not to be raped, naturally. And Republicans.

At the risk of being pelted with hate-fuelled shit, given that no criminal proceedings have occurred, is it right to assume guilt?

genjiZERO

alabama better roll through these guys on monday

i like collegiate sports but fuck such corrupt ass people in power

Doesn't Alabama have a horrible racism problem though?

CyclopsRock said:
At the risk of being pelted with hate-fuelled shit, given that no criminal proceedings have occurred, is it right to assume guilt?

In the Court of Public Opinion it is.

Is this some kind of 'journalistic integrity' thing?

Assuming the story is true and there's no doubt he's the assailant, the piece of shit should be exposed and answer for what he's done. The school, as well as the police, should also be put to task for dragging their feet through this whole situation.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
thats fucked up, but that money is a strong temptation, dont rock the boat is a mind set everyone sinks into when they put other things above responsibility. If all that is true, i hope it comes back and bites ND in the ass, they should know better that far more than football is at stake , they have/had a good name with high paying customers on the academic side of things as well. Dont let the athletics sink the ship fools.

What does that even mean?

OP wrote "beautiful young girl" twice, and I'm wondering the significance.

That flashy titles attracts more interest. What exactly is wrong with that? Oh right, the implication is whats wrong. I don't subscribe to that level of ideology. All suicides are tragic, that is simply obvious. I don't see anything wrong with the thread title because it is an interesting story that deserves attention, and unfortunately a bland thread title won't garner the interest the story deserves. The thread titles criticisms are clearly made by posters with a vendetta against humanity. Unfortunately, those vendettas derailed a thread that deserves thoughtful discussion on the bigger issue; failure to punish the rapist.

Like Bama wouldn't cover it up if a major player did this.

they probably would which in case id say the opposite. and if both of these schools had this case at the same time then id ask for lengthy prison terms for everyone

i dont give a shit about either of these schools

Is this some kind of 'journalistic integrity' thing?

Assuming the story is true and there's no doubt he's the assailant, the piece of shit should be exposed and answer for what he's done. The school, as well as the police, should also be put to task for dragging their feet through this whole situation.
Ya, but that's not an assumption you should necessarily make as a journalist--seems like it's the job of the law. The journalist is reporting, and the hope is that additional information will come out to corroborate the story, at which point it would be investigated and then he'll get his name dragged through the mud.
That flashy titles attracts more interest. What exactly is wrong with that? Oh right, the implication is whats wrong. I don't subscribe to that level of ideology. All suicides are tragic, that is simply obvious. I don't see anything wrong with the thread title because it is an interesting story that deserves attention, and unfortunately a bland thread title won't garner the interest the story deserves. The thread titles criticisms are clearly made by posters with a vendetta against humanity. Unfortunately, those vendettas derailed a thread that deserves thoughtful discussion on the bigger issue; failure to punish the rapist.
lol, ya, and chemtrails man.

I'd say that this is at least quantifiable as harassment:
a hailstorm of texts from other players, warning the young woman not to report what had happened:

And is a pretty strong argument that the rape in question occurred.

Ya, but that's not an assumption you should necessarily make as a journalist--seems like it's the job of the law. The journalist is reporting, and the hope is that additional information will come out to corroborate the story, at which point it would be investigated and then he'll get his name dragged through the mud.

Got ya. Thanks for the clarification.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
There is absolutely zero chance this will get investigated. Especially as (1) ND doesn't want to investigate it and (2) the victim is not around to testify against her attacker.

XenoRaven

Only people who save themselves for marriage deserve not to be raped, naturally. And Republicans.
I don't even know why someone would post this. I mean really. This thread has nothing to do with religious conviction or political stance. Your post completely ignores the idea that while rape is a tragedy in and of itself, the fact that this was this girl's first and only sexual experience makes it even more of a tragedy. It is also completely inappropriate for this thread. Unbelievable.

I can understand questioning why the thread title specifies that she's beautiful. I wouldn't bring it up in this thread but I get it. But I don't see how anyone could possibly have drawn the conclusions you drew and I can't imagine anyone supporting the sentiment.

The article doesnt actually say what happened. As Cyclopsrock said, innocent until proven guilty.

They don't have a conviction, no, but they do have texts from teammates threatening alleged victims. Which is the focus of the story, not simply that a rape occurred.

Metrotab

Banned
I find it incredibly disgusting how talented sports players get this kind of societal protection, even in the case of heineous crimes.

genjiZERO

You're thinking of Mississippi.

Oh ok, thanks

That's a fucking stupid generalisation dude. Also, your aggression towards people who are reasonably concerned with the societal implications of implying that beauty contribues to the degree of tragedy is bizarre. Had you said nothing and OP simply admitted that it was improper there would be no derail. In fact, your comments in this thread have done more to gloss over the greater point - that a girl committed suicide because she was raped - than the few people who complained about calling her a "beautiful girl".

params7

Banned
The same reason missing persons cases are always more interesting when they are young white and attractive.

I shouldn't have lol'd but yeah. Remove the beautiful from the title. Why is an ugly girl getting raped less important than a beautiful girl getting raped?

The article doesnt actually say what happened. As Cyclopsrock said, innocent until proven guilty.

The girls statement on what happened:

"He started sucking my neck and I started crying harder," Lizzy wrote. "He pulled down my tank top by the straps. He slipped them down my shoulders and proceeded to suck and lick my right breast while holding me down on his lap by the arms. I felt his hands start to move down towards my shorts as if he was trying to unbutton them or pull them off. I was still crying at this point and felt so scared that I couldn't move."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom