• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Girl Kills Herself Following Rape. Alleged Rapist in BCS Title Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

I find it incredibly disgusting how talented sports players get this kind of societal protection, even in the case of heineous crimes.

There is just way too much Idol worshipping in society. The Idols are more valuable to society than anyone else and we allow this to continue on with everything from shows like American Idol etc.

They are special. They are idols so they cant do no wrong.

A-VOFayCUAI80zw.jpg

Keepin' it classy.

It doesn't, but we could keep discussing that instead of the story itself!
You do know that by quoting my post you're the one propagating that discussion, right? Ignore it if you don't like it instead of whining about it.
There is absolutely zero chance this will get investigated. Especially as (1) ND doesn't want to investigate it and (2) the victim is not around to testify against her attacker.
A) We don't know what happened.
B) If I was a journalist, I'd rather not be in the business of slanderous accusations that a prominent citizen committed a crime when police aren't willing to even open an investigation.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You do know that by quoting my post you're the one propagating that discussion, right? Ignore it if you don't like it instead of whining about it.

1) We don't know.
2) If I was a journalist, I'd rather not be in the business of slanderous accusations that a prominent citizen committed a crime when police aren't willing to even open an investigation.
Yes we do.
At the time of her death, 10 days after reporting the attack to campus police, who have jurisdiction for even the most serious crimes on school property, investigators still had not interviewed the accused. It took them five more days after she died to get around to that, though they investigated Lizzy herself quite thoroughly, even debriefing a former roommate at another school with whom she’d clashed.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know why someone would post this. I mean really. This thread has nothing to do with religious conviction or political stance. Your post completely ignores the idea that while rape is a tragedy in and of itself, the fact that this was this girl's first and only sexual experience makes it even more of a tragedy. It is also completely inappropriate for this thread. Unbelievable.

If your gut reaction is that chaste girls getting raped is worse than if they were unchaste, i'm at a loss for words. Mentioning she's a virgin to try and heighten how much she didn't deserve to get raped is awful.

mre

Sorry, I should have labeled my posts as A and B. I wasn't addressing them point to point, I was saying: "We don't know what happened."
I agree that we don't know what happened, but I stand my point that ND didn't want to know what happened as evidenced by their failure to conduct a competent and timely investigation. Could they have known that she was going to commit suicide? No, but it is unconscionable that they waited 15 days after her initial complaint--5 days after her death--to even talk to accused at all.

1) We don't know.
2) If I was a journalist, I'd rather not be in the business of slanderous accusations that a prominent citizen committed a crime when police aren't willing to even open an investigation.

The journalist didn't make a single slanderous accusation and false rape reports are so obscenely rare that I would say that an assumption that the crime occurred is much more reasonable than expecting it wasn't worth opening an accusation.

kingkitty

Thank god she wasn't ugly!

If accusations are true, just another reason to hate Notre Dame football. Although I'm sure other programs would pull the same shit, Alabama included.

I agree that we don't know what happened, but I stand my point that ND didn't want to know what happened as evidenced by their failure to conduct a competent and timely investigation. Could they have known that she was going to commit suicide? No, but it is unconscionable that they waited 15 days after her initial complaint--5 days after her death--to even talk to accused at all.
I don't disagree with this. I'm only responding that it was probably not a bad decision for the journalist to withhold the name of the accused at this time.
The journalist didn't make a single slanderous accusation and false rape reports are so obscenely rare that I would say that an assumption that the crime occurred is much more reasonable than expecting it wasn't worth opening an accusation.
Yes, that's my point.

Where the fuck is Batman to break peoples faces?

Seriously, this just infuriates me every time. Especially when the victims continue to get victimized...

Akkad

Banned
Can a mod remove the word beautiful from the title, so many fucking people getting their panties in a bunch over it.

mre

I don't disagree with this. I'm only responding that it was probably not a bad decision for the journalist to withhold the name of the accused at this time.
Well, fine. I guess we're in agreement that the Irish suck and anyone who cheers for them on Monday is explicitly casting a vote in favor of rape and murder (another story).

Good day to you.

B) If I was a journalist, I'd rather not be in the business of slanderous accusations that a prominent citizen committed a crime when police aren't willing to even open an investigation.

If you assume the police not investigating automatically makes the story false, you'd be a terrible journalist , seeing as how one of their most important roles is to expose police corruption and incompetence.

XenoRaven

If your gut reaction is that chaste girls getting raped is worse than if they were unchaste, i'm at a loss for words. Mentioning she's a virgin to try and heighten how much she didn't deserve to get raped is awful.
Missing the point but if you must know my gut reaction was "Oh my god this is terrible." not a sarcastic quip about a relevant detail in the story.

I can't make any make any educated decision given the limited details we have. She was raped and received threatening text messages and didn't pursue charges? Her parents didn't pursue charges? And don't want this to turn into a "victim blaming" thread, but this whole thing sounds fishy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It feels like a very big part of this story is missing.

ND is a piece of shit institution though and has been for decades.

I can't make any make any educated decision given the limited details we have. She was raped and received threatening text messages and didn't pursue charges? Her parents didn't pursue charges? And don't want this to turn into a "victim blaming" thread, but this whole thing sounds fishy.

Maybe you could read the fucking article if you think the details are too limited.

At the time of her death, 10 days after reporting the attack to campus police, who have jurisdiction for even the most serious crimes on school property, investigators still had not interviewed the accused.

Measley

Sad story, but girls should really stay the fuck away from football players and most athletes in general. We're jerks by nature, and I can only imagine what its like being at a football college where you're a superstar. In high school, my teammates did some pretty shitty things to women, but they kept coming around like they couldn't help themselves.

WedgeX

Banned
I remember when the first editorial came out. Terrible that whoever the suspect's football friends are have also gotten away with trying to shame a girl that was allegedly raped. And that the school's administration and police force apparently dragged their feet and never took it seriously. Other than to take it seriously as a potential black eye to their football program.

Sad story, but girls should really stay the fuck away from football players and most athletes in general. We're jerks by nature, and I can only imagine what its like being at a football college where you're a superstar.

What the fuck is this. Athletes are still people who are entirely capable of controlling themselves. Its not a damn excuse.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sad story, but girls should really stay the fuck away from football players and most athletes in general. We're jerks by nature, and I can only imagine what its like being at a football college where you're a superstar. In high school, my teammates did some pretty shitty things to women, but they kept coming around like they couldn't help themselves.

You do know you should not be victim blaming, right?

I mean, this just screams that women should only hang out with women, because in men are jerks by nature.

Measley

What the fuck is this. Athletes are still people who are entirely capable of controlling themselves. Its not a damn excuse.

Oh I totally agree. The problem is that the culture doesn't make them control themselves, and the girls throw themselves at them even after they get treated like shit over and over again. I'm not surprised that football players at schools like Notre Dame feel like they can full on rape a girl and get away with it. Its the culture they've been in since middle school.

You do know you should not be victim blaming, right?

I mean, this just screams that women should only hang out with women, because in men are jerks by nature.

I'm pretty sure most people on campus know who this guy is. I'm also pretty sure that he's got more than a few lady friends waiting for him after the big game Monday night. They know full well what he's capable of, or allegedly capable of, and they just don't care.

pompidu

Really? We gonna do victim blaming now? Assholes shouldn't be raping people.

DTKT

Yes, let's blame the girl. Seriously, what is wrong with you.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm pretty sure most people on campus know who this guy is. I'm also pretty sure that he's got more than a few lady friends waiting for him after the big game Monday night.

So?

Your previous post basically states that women should not hang around athletes because they are awful. In my mind that is like telling someone to not dress a certain way or they will be raped because they are asking for it with how they presented themselves. Do you see where I am coming from?

Uh what the fuck, that's exactly the scenario when you want hard-hitting investigative journalism to happen.

Why doesn't Alabama hit back with "Crimson Hunks versus Irish Drunks" or something. Keep it in the gutter.

Notre Dame fans get very sensitive when you insult the Irish.

Dude Abides

Banned

Perhaps better to simply keep the athletes in cages, only to be let out for games.

RS4-

The rapist, the school, the families and all those involved that told her that she'd make a mistake for reporting it should be punished.

Sports worship is so fucking pathetic. Notre Dame is also a Catholic institution and we all know how much they love covering up horrible shit!

be careful, the multitude of disgusting Catholic apologists on here are about to cry real hard.

also, lol at the uneducated masses giving their opinions on journalism and how it's conducted. we need more classes on media education for you guys.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm pretty sure most people on campus know who this guy is. I'm also pretty sure that he's got more than a few lady friends waiting for him after the big game Monday night. They know full well what he's capable of, or allegedly capable of, and they just don't care.

What... lol I can't believe there are people with this thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom