• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

I was flipping through the channels and stumbled on this show. I thought they brought back Teen Titans and westernized it.

I was super disapointed in Robin's voice, and kind of surprised at how strong Aqualad was. Still a little confused how Teen Titan Aqualad was an asian dude in a wetsuit, while this guy is a black dude with gills and dual water swords. But I don't try to understand the confusing world of comics.

Asbel

balladofwindfishes said:
I was flipping through the channels and stumbled on this show. I thought they brought back Teen Titans and westernized it.

I was super disapointed in Robin's voice, and kind of surprised at how strong Aqualad was. Still a little confused how Teen Titan Aqualad was an asian dude in a wetsuit, while this guy is a black dude with gills and dual water swords. But I don't try to understand the confusing world of comics.
in dc comics, kid heroes grow up and get new names as new kid heroes come in using legacy names. So through the years, there have been multiple aqualads, robins and such.

ezekial45

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:

First off, there's been more than one Aqualad. The YJ Aqualad is modeled after the current one in the comics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqualad_(Jackson_Hyde)

Secondly, Teen Titans was a stand alone series. Young Justice is not a continuation.

Finally, Teen Titans was always a western series. They tried appealing to the Anime craze with the T.V. series, which explains the unique art style. Not to knock it though, it was still a pretty enjoyable series.

Fimbulvetr said:
Superboy sure is.... angry.

I would be too if i was born in a test tube, living in an underground bunker, and having evil scientists and genomes manipulating me telepathically.

ReiGun

I foresee "daddy issues" in SB's future.

SB: I plugged this dam and saved this whole town, SM.
SM:....uh, kthxbai *flies off*
SB:...WHY DON'T HE WANT ME, MAN? :_(

Penguin

ReiGun said:
I foresee "daddy issues" in SB's future.

SB: I plugged this dam and saved this whole town, SM.
SM:....uh, kthxbai *flies off*
SB:...WHY DON'T HE WANT ME, MAN? :_(

I wonder if gonna go like the comics and have Luthor be part of his genetic make up as well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Three ice powered super villains? Lame to the max

Also, is that Robin supposed to be Tim Drake? Never liked him. Seems disappointing so far.

Penguin

Oblivion said:
Three ice powered super villains? Lame to the max

Also, is that Robin supposed to be Tim Drake? Never liked him. Seems disappointing so far.

The reason for them all being iced based will be explained (and there was 4 of them)

And no its Dick Grayson.

Jerk

Banned
Very nice.

By the way, what are the animated superhero shows these days?

The last ones I remember watching were the 90s X-Men, Spiderman and Batman.

Penguin

Jerk 2.0 said:
Very nice.

By the way, what are the animated superhero shows these days?

The last ones I remember watching were the 90s X-Men, Spiderman and Batman.

Currently
Batman the Brave and the Bold
Iron Man: Armored adventures
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Young Justice

TreIII

Penguin said:
Currently
Young Justice

Might as well cross that first one off the list, as it won't be around for too much longer. But on the other hand, a new Batman toon is also in production..

vazel

Banned
Very good start! I wonder if WB is going to release this series on BD considering they stopped releasing JL on BD after the first season and never released anything Batman: The Brave and the Bold on BD.

I liked what I saw. The introduction of Miss Martian was kinda awkward I thought. You would think that sexual harassment training would be part of Justice League basic.

TestMonkey said:
I liked what I saw. The introduction of Miss Martian was kinda awkward I thought. You would think that sexual harassment training would be part of Justice League basic.

You think that's bad.

You should have seen the original X-Men #1 comic.

Penguin

TreIII said:
Might as well cross that first one off the list, as it won't be around for too much longer. But on the other hand, a new Batman toon is also in production..

I believe Brave and the Bold has another half season left in it, but we all knew it would end at 65.

(and there is still 4-5 episodes left to air for this season)

abundant

Penguin said:
I believe Brave and the Bold has another half season left in it, but we all knew it would end at 65.

(and there is still 4-5 episodes left to air for this season)

According to IMDB, there's three more episodes left this season. So that brings the total up to about 16 episodes left for the BATB.

Shapingo

Akainu said:
Really? *sigh* I should have figured Black Manta was named that because he was actually black and not just because of his suit. It never fails. :lol

342668-161160-black-manta.PNG

His son has just been shown as cooler than either him or Aquaman.

tim1138 said:
They haven't revealed who is mother his yet.

His mother might be Siren, she can make water swords and weapons as well.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/57606/1398610-black_manta003.jpg

TreIII

Fimbulvetr said:
No fucking way.

That's how they revealed it? :lol

Yes. Furthermore, he used it as a ruse to try and get support: "I'll take over the sea for Black People, so that we can escape persecution from the White Man on Dry Land!" :lol

Of course, the truth was that Black Manta didn't give two shits about black people. It was just another plot of his to (of course) trick Cal Durham and inevitably kill Aquaman and take over Atlantis. :lol

Good start to the series. Top notch animation. Haven't seen action scenes this fluid in a long while. Nice to see Guardian getting an animated debut. Crispin Freeman voicing him is funny though. He was also voicing Speedy.

Is that really Jesse McCartney voicing Roxa...I mean Robin? If so, he's doing pretty good. This Robin doesn't act like Dick at all and more like Tim, so I guess he's only Dick in name only. Superboy and Superman have Nolan North's regular old voice. :lol

Kid Flash was definitely channeling Wally. Aqualad was pretty cool, wonder why there's such a disparity in his design and his comic version. Speaking of designs, Blockbusters was awful.

Anyway, I don't really like this concealed council in the shadows that some how knows everything being used but whatever. It's Weisman, will end up great even if it's using that annoying trope.

EDIT: Also had to mention that I noticed Captain Marvel in the background. Wonder how he got away with being in the league.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Am I the only one who doesn't like Nolan North Superboy? It really... the voice... XP

Otherwise, a really nice premiere. Kinda annoyed that it's gonna be til 2011 for the next ep.

Penguin said:
Currently
Young Justice

What, no Super Hero Squad on your list :lol

I thought Iron Man adventures had been canceled.
BTW, was it just me but were there two Green Lanterns when the Justice League comes down with Hal and Jon both showing up.
Also, the number designations in the scene in the Hall of Justice, so good as well as indicating who the founding members were, I think Red Tornado was 16, Martian was 7, and Batman, Flash and Aquaman were also in the top 6, but Green Arrow wasn't.

Its such a good time to watch animated action shows, all of the above plus Generator Rex, Symbionic Titan (both have been excellent) and the upcoming Transformers and GI Joe shows

Penguin

magnificent83 said:
What, no Super Hero Squad on your list :lol

I thought Iron Man adventures had been canceled.
BTW, was it just me but were there two Green Lanterns when the Justice League comes down with Hal and Jon both showing up.
Also, the number designations in the scene in the Hall of Justice, so good as well as indicating who the founding members were, I think Red Tornado was 16, Martian was 7, and Batman, Flash and Aquaman were also in the top 6, but Green Arrow wasn't.

Its such a good time to watch animated action shows, all of the above plus Generator Rex, Symbionic Titan (both have been excellent) and the upcoming Transformers and GI Joe shows

I forgot about Super Hero Squad,

And I would assume that Superman is number 1, Bats is 2, and Wonder Woman is 3 since they make up DC's trinity.

Someone over at Toonzone is of course keeping count, filled in blanks with speculation

01 Superman
02 Batman
03 Wonder Woman
04 Flash
05 Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
06 Aquaman
07 Martian Manhunter
08 Green Arrow
09 Black Canary
10 Hawkman
11 Hawkgirl
12 Captain Marvel
13 Zatara
14 Captain Atom
15 Green Lantern (John Stewart)
16 Red Tornado

DieH@rd

Banned
I just saw it, and it was VERY GOOD opening. Cant wait for more. I like entire YJ team, aqualad will be the leader for sure and new SuperBoy is interesting.

Also, Nolan North is Superman/Superboy. :D

I liked what I saw very, very much. The awkwardness of Superboy when Superman meet him was like the high point.

I'm not liking Robin being more smart mouthed than confident(like Teen Titans) to be honest. Aqualad...probably my favorite among them, was he using telepathy to SB near the end?

vazel

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I liked what I saw very, very much. The awkwardness of Superboy when Superman meet him was like the high point.

I'm not liking Robin being more smart mouthed than confident(like Teen Titans) to be honest. Aqualad...probably my favorite among them, was he using telepathy to SB near the end?
Superboy has super hearing.

Ezduo said:
He was being a little bitch and told the league to go fuck themselves when it became obvious that they weren't going to let them do anything. Oddly within five seconds of his leaving, every other sidekick came to the same conclusion and did the same thing, albeit together.

I didn't understand why the didn't involve Speedy since the whole thing was basically his idea. The fact that he's not in the promo images (but some other archery character is) is even stranger.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm liking this. It's nice to have a sidekick show more in line with Justice League and the rest of the DCAU in terms of tone and artstyle instead of the Teen Titans OMG KAWAII ANIMU DESU!!! =^_^= shit.

shaowebb

This show needs The Ray. Guy is in the top class of DC powers, and he can never get any screen time for anything.

ezekial45 said:
Finally, Teen Titans was always a western series. They tried appealing to the Anime craze with the T.V. series, which explains the unique art style. Not to knock it though, it was still a pretty enjoyable series.

This needs to be violently beaten into the skulls of that generation.

Animu Titans needs to die in a fire.

kame-sennin said:
I didn't understand why the didn't involve Speedy since the whole thing was basically his idea. The fact that he's not in the promo images (but some other archery character is) is even stranger.

don't read if you don't want to be spoiled on Speedy.
probably a good sign that he'll be Red Arrow later...

Really liked the show. I don't care much for Robin's voice actor though. From the promos I don't care much for Artemis' or Miss Martian's costumes but what can ya do?

As usual DC animation doesn't disappoint good pilot episode that sets up the series. I am okay with Aqualad I am liking his story in Brightest Day.

Top Bottom