• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Penguin

abundant said:
January, taking over the Brave and the Bold time slot on Friday.

Wait what?
I thought this would have been a killer 1-2 combo of DC awesomeness on Friday nights? Brave and the Bold followed by Young Justice. :(

abundant

Penguin said:
Wait what?
I thought this would have been a killer 1-2 combo of DC awesomeness on Friday nights? Brave and the Bold followed by Young Justice. :(

It's not confirmed, but it looks likely. The ad for YJ debut on January mentions the other big 4 shows they have on Friday, but doesn't mention BATB. Also the BATB second season is almost up, there's 3 more episodes left.

ultron87

Loved it.

Line of the episode was one of the bystanders when they were entering the Hall of Justice.

It was something along the lines of "Speedy is Green Arrow's sidekick? That makes no sense at all."

yencid

OH MAN ALMOST HERE!

some nice pics
tumblr_ldbs6xStoK1qfqg2zo1_500.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...957673&Signature=Kmv4YqNWLEwRhU6rdWd+UoYBiMw=

tumblr_ldlsvqaRMF1qbjy8co1_500.gif

tumblr_ldos5sQXyA1qf7bkxo1_500.png

tumblr_ldosxhVdfQ1qf7bkxo1_500.png

tumblr_ldov7vj19k1qf7bkxo1_500.gif

tumblr_ldoum3xqQ31qf7bkxo1_500.gif

cant freaking wait

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Aww, they didn't refer Conner's super strength as tactile telekinesis.

And I just realized, the GL has no sidekick XD

Slayven

Ookami-kun said:
Aww, they didn't refer Conner's super strength as tactile telekinesis.

And I just realized, the GL has no sidekick XD
John Stewart once gave a group of kids less powerful versions of his power ring. It didn't work out too well.

DominoKid

ReiGun said:
I foresee "daddy issues" in SB's future.

SB: I plugged this dam and saved this whole town, SM.
SM:....uh, kthxbai *flies off*
SB:...WHY DON'T HE WANT ME, MAN? :_(

bwahahahaha

Robin looks a little old for 13 but other than that i like what i see. should be interesting

Ponn

Banned
Not sure why they went with Dick and Wally, they really should have went with Tim and Bart. The mixings of the group are kind of screwy now and that could have opened up more stories (former sidekicks graduating to full heroes and all that). Kind of strange that these animated shows really try to stay away from using Tim as Robin even though he has been the current Robin for over 10 years now and would be the Robin the younger viewers would actually know reading comics.

suaveric

So are they starting with the pilot that they showed back in November? I missed it the one time the bothered to show it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ponn01 said:
Not sure why they went with Dick and Wally, they really should have went with Tim and Bart. The mixings of the group are kind of screwy now and that could have opened up more stories (former sidekicks graduating to full heroes and all that). Kind of strange that these animated shows really try to stay away from using Tim as Robin even though he has been the current Robin for over 10 years now and would be the Robin the younger viewers would actually know reading comics.

They're probably gonna pull a Nightwing or a trip-to-the-future where he is Nightwing?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ponn01 said:

More like 20 years for Tim by now, god I feel old... personally, I think Damian would be even better, he's my favourite Robin by a country mile. I would loooooove a Dick and Damian Batman cartoon show, even though I know it'll never ever happen.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Ponn01 said:

yeah i was surprised at this as well didnt the animated batman use tim drake and introduce nightwing a while back? Either way in the eyes of many dick has moved on and become his own man making tim the logical choice. Wally is confusing too considering wally was the flash from justice league unlimited, but i guess his loveable persona is going to bring a comedic element to the show.

Doesnt matter though Aqua Lad is going to steal this show, just watch.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
DonasaurusRex said:
Doesnt matter though Aqua Lad is going to steal this show, just watch.
He's already my favorite, by a long shot. His name is Aqualad for crying out loud, yet somehow, he's still the group's designated badass.

Aquaman must be so fucking jealous, outclassed by his own sidekick.

suaveric

DieH@rd said:
You have to watch the pilot, it was awesome.

Yes, but where? They showed it once and never repeated it. That's why I was asking if they were starting with the pilot again when the show starts up for real this week.

Ponn01 said:

It's been said that they're not closing the door on those characters, but that they're laying the groundwork for their universe first. They're kind of starting from zero and you have to have Dick before you get to Tim for Tim to mean the same things.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Dug up an interview where they mention it

“We went through and made the decision fairly early on that this was going to be a young DC universe,” Weisman said, “that Superman will have only shown up ten years ago, put on the cape ten years ago, Batman would have only put on the cape nine years ago, that the heroes haven’t been around that long, and once you’ve made that decision, then the idea of starting with Dick Grayson and Wally West, the original side kicks, they’re still young …

yencid

haha watching the pilot again

"he hacked the motion sensors"

"i hacked the motion sensors" *grin*

The show starts next friday

Penguin

suaveric said:
Yes, but where? They showed it once and never repeated it. That's why I was asking if they were starting with the pilot again when the show starts up for real this week.

The pilot is gonna be split into 2 and the first two episodes to air, one this Friday and one the week after

Slayven

Oblivion said:
Tactile teleki....the hell?
They dumbed him down over the years.

Originally, Superboy's only superpower is a telekinetic force field that surrounds his body and granted him abilities that approximated some of Superman's powers such as super strength, flight and invulnerability. The field allowed Superboy to lift heavy objects by extending the field around him and deflect any solid object that came into contact with him. The field also allowed Superboy the ability to manipulate objects that he came into tactile contact with, bend them into any shape that he could visualize mentally, and disassemble things such as machines and other complex constructions by touch.

mjc

I'm always amazed at the difference in quality between DC and Marvel animated shows. (For the most part) DC seems to make more of an effort to have quality animation. Pretty cool.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
mjc said:
I'm always amazed at the difference in quality between DC and Marvel animated shows. (For the most part) DC seems to make more of an effort to have quality animation. Pretty cool.
I'm really digging the whole art direction they're going for with the characters since they're resembling some of the DC animated movies. Really like Martian Man Hunter's design.

ReiGun

mjc said:
Marvel's been stepping their game up in recent years. Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers all look great. But I definitely agree that on the whole, DC has done much better animation wise.

Ponn

Banned
KidGalactus said:
It's been said that they're not closing the door on those characters, but that they're laying the groundwork for their universe first. They're kind of starting from zero and you have to have Dick before you get to Tim for Tim to mean the same things.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Dug up an interview where they mention it

You don't HAVE to have Dick though, thats my point. The majority of kids, or hell even teens and older watching this didn't grow up with Dick as Robin so it's not like they are saving some emotional connection thing. They don't have to have Nightwing at all. And I can't see how they can say they haven't closed the door on those characters, not with the age they are doing Dick and Wally at here. Not unless they are going to really just throw everything out the window.

Whats more confusing is the relationships between these characters are thrown off now. Superboy/Robin and Wally West. Heaven help them if they try to introduce Wonder Girl or Donna Troy, its just this weird time warp amalgamation now. At least with the Teen Titans animated they made sense and you could follow those characters into the comics with no confusion.

KevinCow

Banned
Penguin said:
The pilot is gonna be split into 2 and the first two episodes to air, one this Friday and one the week after

So if I've watched the pilot already, I can skip the first two weeks?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
yencid said:
that bad?
No, on the contrary, it was one of my favorite cartoon show this entire decade. It being cancelled prematurely without a Season 3 in sight makes me want to shed bitter tears.

Ponn01 said:
You don't HAVE to have Dick though, thats my point. The majority of kids, or hell even teens and older watching this didn't grow up with Dick as Robin so it's not like they are saving some emotional connection thing. They don't have to have Nightwing at all. And I can't see how they can say they haven't closed the door on those characters, not with the age they are doing Dick and Wally at here. Not unless they are going to really just throw everything out the window.

Whats more confusing is the relationships between these characters are thrown off now. Superboy/Robin and Wally West. Heaven help them if they try to introduce Wonder Girl or Donna Troy, its just this weird time warp amalgamation now. At least with the Teen Titans animated they made sense and you could follow those characters into the comics with no confusion.

They've already said this is set in it's own universe. Problem solved.

Asbel

ReiGun said:
Marvel's been stepping their game up in recent years. Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers all look great. But I definitely agree that on the whole, DC has done much better animation wise.
iron man armored adventures is by far the best looking comic book show and the story is as good as spectacular spiderman.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
krypt0nian said:
They've already said this is set in it's own universe. Problem solved.

Yeah, but isn't one of the ideas of these shows that they're a 'gateway drug' into comics? When I was young I used to watch Batman TAS and the very first comic I bought was an issue of the Batman Adventures so it certainly worked that way for me.

I definitely get the idea that a kid picking up Teen Titans now would be a bit confused if all they knew was the cartoon. Dick is Batman? Who're Bart and Damian? etc. Also, IMO Bart Allen is a better Kid Flash than Wally at least for a cartoon. Bart is way more fun and has the capacity to be sweet as well as entirely silly in a TT Beast Boy way. And if you have Bart then they could have done a cool episode with the whole Flash family. Same with Tim or even Damian as Robin, you could have Nightwing, allude to Jason even, so much more story potential.

When I was a kid I wasn't put off at all by characters having history I didn't know. If anything it made me read and watch more stuff so I could know all these histories.

Top Bottom