• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your controversial gaming opinions in regards to the state of the gaming industry

Success

To be clear, by controversial gaming opinions, I mean controversial by NeoGAF standards.

Saying something like "Sweet Baby Inc is destroying gaming" or "Woke games are killing the industry" is not controversial.

My controversial opinion:
Hi-Fi Rush flopped because it targeted too much of the boomer gamer crowd. And the boomer gamer crowd spends the least on games and are deal hunters. They will vouch for wacky indie games while never buying them or buying them at the lowest possible cost.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
My signature in a game programming forum circa two decades ago was "Multiplayer is the best way to not implement good AI". I stand by it. If AI was better multiplayer would only be needed when playing with friends and not strangers.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Fromsoft games are top tier and great but many of their fans are annoying elitists who think that anything outside of what they deem to be true games are bad game design.

TLOU2 has great pacing and I beat it within a week which felt like two days

People who complain about sexy women in games and the people who complain when they aren't sexy are two sides to the same coin

Rockstar controls can use some updating but I hope they don't lose their Rockstar feel.

To be clear, by controversial gaming opinions, I mean controversial by NeoGAF standards.
People have forgotten how to enjoy video games of all varieties as a hobby like they used to when they were younger, and some people look towards gaming too much to solve internal problems as a fix, which is why they become more jaded when they put up their own roadblocks and qualifiers to getting that fix (example of qualifier/roadblock "game must do something new for me to play it" as if creatively unique ideas are an infinite well).

Second hot take: For those who don't put up these self-inflicted roadblocks, there are more than enough video games in existence and in the future for a person to play and enjoy throughout life and probably their kids' entire lives and grandkids lives too, without ever having to become jaded or worry about the industry moving in a certain direction.

Last edited:

Fess

In a decade there will be no physical consoles, no physical games, there will only be digital brand-specific launchers on PC and streaming platform apps.

All the big publishers will have their own account-based platforms with exclusives. There will be more exclusives on these new ”platforms” than exclusives today.

Aqcuisition war will turn into license war, will be about locking access to IP licences on specific brand apps, timed exclusivity, highest bidder on GTA, Assassin’s Creed, The Witcher, etc.

There will be app exclusives you have to subscribe to get access to.

coffinbirth

Game renting subscription services are bad for the gaming industry.
GameFly has been around since 2002.

200w.gif

Woggleman

Some of the hardcore gamer crowd remind me of the people who used to hate on all mainstream music and complain that their favorite artists never sold but then would just copy their music or illegally download it. If you don't support your favorites companies will not push them anymore. It's the same way that people complain about Sony closing Japan studios but they only did that because the sales were bad.

cireza

Gold Member
To answer the thread :

1) The vast majority of games released nowadays aren't games. They are work. People forgot/don't know anymore how to have fun when playing games.

2) The way forward is not with engines such as Unreal and infinite middlewares. These things are driving the industry in a hardware dead-end, and even stronger hardware will not lead to better visuals. Diminishing returns. Companies that have enough money should absolutely ditch this engine and all the useless, stacked layers of middleware, and go back to making their own, purpose (and lighter) built engine.

Current gaming is boring. UE5 looks boring too.
Nintendo is unicorn and should not be accepted as normal. All in a very very good way. I'm playing games since NES and Nintendo games always give me great feeling: they are fun, music is incredible as well as graphics, no blood, no bullshit - just pure art. I'm amazed that they somehow keep it going that why I think they are best in the buisness. I love them and remember every game very heartwarmingly.

Laptop1991

I don't think you understood the assignment.

Here, I'll give you one:
There's nothing wrong with Sweet Baby. If developers/publishers want to hire a consulting firm to make their games more inclusive, there's nothing wrong with that. Consultants are hired for all sorts of things.

And another one:
The woke agenda is simply a pendulum swing that is attempting to balance out years of inequality and a lack of minority representation in the gaming industry. It's not the apocalypse. It's just a course correction that will be eventually snuffed out by yet another course correction. And thus it will continue. Back and forth. Forever. And that's fine.

And the last one:
The extent to which people overrate Breath of the Wild is equal in measure to the extent to which people underrate Agents of Mayhem.

Okay, another one for the road:
Neogaf needs Reset Era like Batman needs the Joker. They complete each other.
what!, read the title of the thread, my opinion is modern games are not good enough to purchase and should be made based on gameplay not monetization, i didn't mention Sweet Baby inc, no idea what your going on about mate!

coffinbirth

I don't think you understood the assignment.

Here, I'll give you one:
There's nothing wrong with Sweet Baby. If developers/publishers want to hire a consulting firm to make their games more inclusive, there's nothing wrong with that. Consultants are hired for all sorts of things.

And another one:
The woke agenda is simply a pendulum swing that is attempting to balance out years of inequality and a lack of minority representation in the gaming industry. It's not the apocalypse. It's just a course correction that will be eventually snuffed out by yet another course correction. And thus it will continue. Back and forth. Forever. And that's fine.

And the last one:
The extent to which people overrate Breath of the Wild is equal in measure to the extent to which people underrate Agents of Mayhem.

Okay, another one for the road:
Neogaf needs Reset Era like Batman needs the Joker. They complete each other.
His opinion isn't controversial? Then why all the ball-licking over these shit games?

MrRenegade

Banned
Someone send signals to the aliens to send an asteroid, so we could start over and relive again the 90s 2000s of gaming :p. Or develop a biological weapon that makes people suffer severe pain if thoughts about exploiting a sector comes to mind.

Fbh

Gold Member
I don't mind the current state of the industry and I don't think everything is as bad and catastrophic as people here make it out to be.
I don't have the free time I used to have, but gaming is still one of my main hobbies and I play for at least an hour (usually more) almost every day. And even with that I don't really have the time to keep up with all the new releases that interest me. I'm already behind on like 3 or 4 games I want to play from this year alone, and that's not even counting some of the heavy hitters from last year which I've yet to play (like Baldur's Gate 3).

I don't know, I'm supposed to believe everything sucks now but honestly if they stopped releasing new games today I'd probably have 2 or 3 years worth of stuff to play with only the releases from the last 2 years.

Thabass

While I think using diversity for a political message in your games is quite shitty, there is nothing wrong with diversifying games to include more people of color, race, religious background, or culture. One of the best parts of Spider-Man 2 was how they showed off the black musical community and it was interesting to learn a little bit about it in the game. I think this was doing "DEI" stuff right. I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was at least a little interesting to learn about how black-inspired music shaped a neighborhood.

There are ways to do this elegantly and this was one of those ways.

The more people you get to buy games, the better off the industry will be in my opinion. However, just adding diversity just to fulfill a checkbox is horrendous.

ungalo

I dislike the curious idea that some very specific studios or publishers are so much above everybody else. That From Software are swimming against the tides of mediocrity on their own. That Nintendo is only God-tier game-design when it's obviously not the case.

People can be very critical or incredibly lenient depending on the context, it's unsettling. Sometimes critical thinking needs to vanish.

Top Bottom