• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

matmanx1

I just did the
underground research facility
and it was probably my favorite section thus far. Really haunting and foreboding and the whole sequence at the end with
Emil and his sister
was sweet and sad at the same time.

I definitely appreciate the way Nier is hitting some nice emotional high points with it's story. Even the sad and depressing stuff is so far very well done and it's the kind of emotional depth and storytelling that I wish more games had and that drew me into RPG's in the first place. I also think it helps that this is a story that appeals more to adults than children (being a father and a provider, body image, caring about others no matter what they look like, just to name a few of them) in terms of bringing subjects in that I as an adult can relate to.

Really, really enjoying this one. I just wish I didn't have to go to bed so I can work tomorrow. I need more Nier!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cep said:
Speaking of multiple endings, how long are each? Is it possible to speed through?

Do you have to do specific things to get alternate endings?

Each ending? 2-5 mins, to get the other endings, you have to replay the game and finish it again, but you start at the second part anyway

Also, regarding the final stage (big spoiler)
I kinda expected Devola and Popola to be the Betrayers since the last set of trophies were unhidden and they sorta spoilt the game if you check it out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Surprisingly good and very positive review of Nier on that blog-site that begins with a K...

The reviews are really all over the place for this, its really strange in that its hard to detect a pattern of who's going to love/hate it.

For myself, I've not been so emotionally invested in a JRPG in many years. I have to give massive kudos to the localization team and voice actors for their efforts, the touches of humour are priceless given the unremitting bleakness of the overall story. It gives a sense of light and shade to the storytelling which is very rare in games.

Thanks YesAsia. they cancelled my order because it was out of stock :lol.

I'll wait for a refund before I go buying the NA version.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Man, being a Cavia fan (I know, I know) I was expecting a pyrrhic victory
but the endgame is pretty determined to not let you feel good about much for free. And *that* Kaine-protagonist scene is an incredible one-two punch, no pun intended, of storytelling and intimacy.

I need to go for at least the next ending, but there's only so much I want to know.

Jinaar

It has been a very interesting experience doing the sub quests in this game (and one of the main ones so far in the Junk Heap).

The quest I just finished off last night was The Old Light House Lady
all the way thru to the end. Now the significance of this quest is how it is all presented. In the town itself, you have 3 unique people saying how rude/grumpy/battle-ax-ish this old lady is. Their individual view points of the old light house lady are negative to say the least. They are young people that may not know the full story of how the old lady was tasked to man the light house and be separated from her lover. Your tasks during these quests are to walk over mail to her. The task itself is boring, repetitive and has no real reward you care to get besides getting the quest done to increment the percentage of Quests completed. Even Grimoire Weiss gets irritated with you for doing the quest over and over. Yet.....

The beauty though of these quests for the Old Lady in the Light house is how they start so simply and evolve via text, voice acting and then music to draw you into her own unique experience and life story. You as Nier and Weiss learn of the lie that was laid those many years back by the towns folk and then it is up to you to break the truth or not to her in her last breaths. What will become of all this?

When I finally completed the final task, the reward for completing the task was not some new sword, money(I think you got money but that didn't matter to me) or even a new quest line. CAVIA created a quest that made you question life(Philosophy) and the decisions we all make in our small time on this planet. Even the reward system was to experience this story and then for the game to present a final, soothing musical piece representing the final passing of the Old Lady. The rewards were so intangible yet meant more to me playing then any binary coded +1 to all Weapon stats could ever do.

This was repeated in the Junk Yard Heap quest
to find the mother of the two boys, the resulting decision and the final result of the boys waving goodbye to you outside of the hut.

I cannot wait for the other quests to be completed and to get the resulting 1-4 endings. This game is doing so many interesting things and doing them right. I continue tonight!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Almost about to get Ending B and about the content pre-Ending B, post-Ending A (major major spoiler)
they're making the Shades seem like ordinary and innocent living beings, as mentioned they were once humans. They are "bad" but at the same time "innocent beings". Mind fuuuuuuuuuck.

ULTROS! said:
Almost about to get Ending B and about the content pre-Ending B, post-Ending A (major major spoiler)
they're making the Shades seem like ordinary and innocent living beings, as mentioned they were once humans. They are "bad" but at the same time "innocent beings". Mind fuuuuuuuuuck.

Especially the wolves and the robot with the little shade ... Sad and awesome!

Sacha

ULTROS! said:

I was so mindblown. Nier's story is so powerful.

Masamuna

cosmicblizzard said:
Anyone else get a major Wind Waker vibe from the
Robot fight in the factory
? It even had the same
hands

Yep, WW with hot missile action. Loved that fight.

Spoiled myself and listened to Blu-Bird on youtube. Ungh, lurv it.

Volcynika

X-Play reviewed it.

4/5

The Pros
-Clever genre-bending elements
-Fantastic art direction and music
-Great boss fights and solid combat

The Cons
-Repetitive non-boss enemies
-Side quests are boring, fishing minigame is awful.
-Graphics aren't up to modern standards

Nier isn’t a game for everyone, but it’s still got merit if you’re willing to dig past tedious fetch quests, an incoherent plot, PlayStation 2-era graphics and some wince-inducting voice acting. Underneath those, it’s an undeniably different take on action role-playing games. Its great musical score, distinctive approach to genre-bending, stellar art direction, and a progressively improving combat system help to balance things out. If you’re a dedicated fan of action/adventure games, you might do well to keep pressing on. Nier may not be clear what it wants to be, but by borrowing the best elements of other games it carves out its own unique identity as one of the most imaginative adventure titles in recent memory.

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/62217/nier/review/

matmanx1

Pretty good review, all in all. But is the story really "incoherent"? I'm not even done with one ending yet but it seems pretty straightforward so far.

Watched the Giant Bomb run through at the beginning and I fell asleep...twice. (Truth)

But with the reviews...fuck. Someone tell me to NOT buy this game.

sarcoa

My review is currently the second highest at Metacritic :lol

I was surprised at how much Nier reminded me of Folklore. Not mechanically or even thematically, but how there really isn't much else like it. It's held back by a few boneheaded design choices (just like Folklore), but its gloomy mood and relentless sense of peril was top notch. Honestly Nier was the first game in quite a while where the story, above all else, drove me to complete the game, and (Ending A spoilers)
then decided to make me do it again after Kaine's backstory reveal at the beginning of the second playthrough.

Volcynika

Question about the second part of the game

Went back to the junk heap. Was there a boss I was supposed to fight? I got the materials the guy wanted then took the elevator to the surface. A door was there but I had no bombs to open it.

I like how the weapons look way cooler after doing some upgrading.

Also the Phoenix spear is overpowered!

What does the X-Play review mean by "wince-inducting voice acting"? The voice acting is superb in all areas!

Volcynika said:
Question about the second part of the game

Went back to the junk heap. Was there a boss I was supposed to fight? I got the materials the guy wanted then took the elevator to the surface. A door was there but I had no bombs to open it.

Deliver the materials, then you have to go back down again to fight a boss.

Cep

Banned
sarcoa said:
My review is currently the second highest at Metacritic :lol

I was surprised at how much Nier reminded me of Folklore. Not mechanically or even thematically, but how there really isn't much else like it. It's held back by a few boneheaded design choices (just like Folklore), but its gloomy mood and relentless sense of peril was top notch. Honestly Nier was the first game in quite a while where the story, above all else, drove me to complete the game, and (Ending A spoilers)
then decided to make me do it again after Kaine's backstory reveal at the beginning of the second playthrough.

And this comparison would have sold the game to me if I was not already planning to buy.

If I remember correctly, Folklore did not get too many great reviews either.

Volcynika

schennmu said:
Deliver the materials, then you have to go back down again to fight a boss.

Ah. Also, I think one of my quests might be bugged.

Quest where you
fight a giant shade in the southern plains. Went there, saw huge one with armor, defeated it, but they're not saying it's done yet.

Ridley327

Volcynika said:
Ah. Also, I think one of my quests might be bugged.

Quest where you
fight a giant shade in the southern plains. Went there, saw huge one with armor, defeated it, but they're not saying it's done yet.

It's a specific one; you'll know which one it is when there's text on the screen.

I meant to play more today, but MH3 went longer thanks to wanting to complete an armor set; hope to play more tomorrow!

Speaking of glitches, this game is REALLY bugfree (for me at least). No crashes or even minor bugs in over 50 hours. Japanese quality I guess.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Late to the party, but does this game have a overworld?
Watched the Giantbomb Quick Look & it looked like there were some non-linear open areas in the game?

Is it like that throughout or more linear & restricted like Dragon Age/Fable?

mjc

Played about three hours and it's pretty great. One question: Does that montage that plays right after you boot up the game have spoliers in it? I watched like half of it and saw
Kaine getting impaled :(

Ridley327

mjc said:
Played about three hours and it's pretty great. One question: Does that montage that plays right after you boot up the game have spoliers in it? I watched like half of it and saw
Kaine getting impaled :(

It's not much of a spoiler, really.

Volcynika

I have a ton of quests on my list to do, and as far as the second part of the game, I have
beaten the Junk Heap boss, Lost Shrine boss, the Aerie boss, and did the forest of myth thing.
It's so odd to see a game where (again, second part of game)
once you beat these bosses, the aftermath isn't always pretty.

Done no upgrading on weapons though. So many items to find for these quests! D:

Cep said:
And this comparison would have sold the game to me if I was not already planning to buy.

If I remember correctly, Folklore did not get too many great reviews either.

I like this more than Folklore by a longshot, and I rather enjoyed Folklore in points.

Volcynika said:
I have a ton of quests on my list to do, and as far as the second part of the game, I have
beaten the Junk Heap boss, Lost Shrine boss, the Aerie boss, and did the forest of myth thing.
It's so odd to see a game where (again, second part of game)
once you beat these bosses, the aftermath isn't always pretty.

Done no upgrading on weapons though. So many items to find for these quests! D:

As far as revisiting old dungeons goes though, I thought that was extremely well done. It does seem like everything in the second half of this game is leading to depressing / bad endings :(. So moving though.

err does this game not support rumble? the last time i played it i had forgotten to turn rumble back on after playing l4d2 but today i remembered and now i can't seem to trigger a vibration D:

No vibrations it seems.

Quick question : I had ending A and I'm going ffor ending B. Will I have ending C instead if
I have alle the weapons ?

Or do you have to get ending B first then C and D ?

Just read the OP for the first time. How am I supposed to jerk off to that chick knowing she's a hermaphrodite? You've just lost a sale Nier developers.

JonStark said:
No vibrations it seems.

Quick question : I had ending A and I'm going ffor ending B. Will I have ending C instead if
I have alle the weapons ?

Or do you have to get ending B first then C and D ?

You have to get B first.

Got to put in over an hour last night, so obviously can't really say I love it or hate it at this point, but I will say I definitely enjoyed my time thus far and am itching to get back to it. So thats good! :D

I read in a few reviews that the camera changes were jarring. So far, to me, its added character to the game. I dont know, one man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose.

only part (so far) that i found the camera changes to be annoying was in the manor.

JonStark said:
No vibrations it seems.

huh that is weird. the last game i played without rumble on console was SCIV.

not a big deal or anything just seems odd that rumble wasn't included.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I suspect they don't use rumble because of how different the gameplay feels depending on which magic you are using.

I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't been stressed in reviews how variable the experience is depending on how you set-up your characters. For example, if you use Dark Blast a lot there's a very Smash TV feel about it. On the other hand if you pump melee and just use a short range but powerful, clubbing spell like Dark Hand its a lot more tactile.

The combat I've found is actually really good, but (at least on normal difficulty) isn't so taxing that you really need to tailor your loadout that often.

I'm hoping the promised DLC will do a lot more in terms of really challenging fights.

ULTROS!

I hope there's a DLC wherein you can use Kaine.

I might finish the weapon upgrading tonight.

Trent Strong said:
Just read the OP for the first time. How am I supposed to jerk off to that chick knowing she's a hermaphrodite? You've just lost a sale Nier developers.

GAF jerks off to Kainé because she's a hermaphrodite. You're doing it wrong!

ULTROS!

Any tips on how to upgrade the weapons? Getting the materials seems.... Impossible.

Oh and regarding what happens in Ending B
it will screw your mind on who you think is good or bad

Almyn

Anyone care to tell me roughly how much more I have left to play?

I've collected 3 parts of the key to the shadowlords castle. I still have the piece from the Junk Heap and the Desert area to collect. I assume i'm pretty close to the end, But you never can tell, These games have a way of throwing another task at you when you think you're almost done.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sorry if this has been covered but what of all the random stuff I'm picking up can I sell? I imagine I need to keep the farm ingredients and the metal, but what about meat, fur, books and so forth?

ULTROS!

Almyn said:
Anyone care to tell me roughly how much more I have left to play?

I've collected 3 parts of the key to the shadowlords castle. I still have the piece from the Junk Heap and the Desert area to collect. I assume i'm pretty close to the end, But you never can tell, These games have a way of throwing another task at you when you think you're almost done.

80-85%

Sinatar said:
Sorry if this has been covered but what of all the random stuff I'm picking up can I sell? I imagine I need to keep the farm ingredients and the metal, but what about meat, fur, books and so forth?

They are used for quests and weapon upgrades. It would be in your best interests to hold on to stuff till you need it, you get more money from quests than from farming. I'm hording everything and selling the things I know I can get easily, like expensive fish or dented metal boards from the junk heap (I had 99 at one point, sold half.)

Top Bottom