• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

ULTROS! said:
Any tips on how to upgrade the weapons? Getting the materials seems.... Impossible.

It's not impossible, but it's mad grinding. Some materials are relatively easy to get, some take really long. This should help for the start, feel free to ask me about specifics (some explanations are way too general): http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/nier/48567-weapon-raw-material-faq.html

D3m0nZ said:
The
Legend Of Zelda
kameo

:lol

I don't even remember that. I'm so out of touch with that game...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
schennmu said:
I don't even remember that. I'm so out of touch with that game...

When you save the Prince of Facade...you seriously didn't notice it?

Damn, the end of the first part was intense.
Kaine pulled a Palom/Porom :(
. I wasn't too hot about it before but this game is starting to grow on me. Also, two handed weapons are awesome.

Beat the game and got Ending A. Seriously, I haven't played a game where I was this moved by the story in a very long time. Amazing amazing game.

Kaine's backstory in the beginning of NG+ was great. Was wondering if they'd ever reference her gender explicitly. The reading segments remind me so much of Lost Odyssey's.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I have played this game for about 2 hours and I have to say, GAF is right about it, the game is awesome. The humor is also awesome, I have laughed my ass off since I got Weiss.

After a few major GAF letdowns I am happy to say that like Valkyria Chronicles with some titles the GAFfers really know what to get :D

Volcynika

I missed part of the ending stuff since i forgot to hit the XMB to pause it and something came up. Someone wanna quick run through of ending A for me?

Also, NG+ related
Like Freyjadour said, the Kaine backstory stuff was pretty awesome to read and learn about.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
ScHlAuChi said:
Hmm havent played that, does Nier have Realtime or Roundbased combat?
Like how does it compare to Demons Souls or Tales of XXX

Its an Action RPG, it doesn't have "battles"

Compare it to games like Kingdom Hearts, not Tales of XXXX

I look at it as a nice mix of Monster Hunter (gathering, skinning, etc.), Zelda (dungeons, overworld, etc.), and an RPG.

Its a nice mix of genres, much like how Darksiders mixed Action gaming with Zelda exploration.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cosmicblizzard said:
Damn, the end of the first part was intense.
Kaine pulled a Palom/Porom :(
. I wasn't too hot about it before but this game is starting to grow on me. Also, two handed weapons are awesome.

You're going quickly through it. Are you doing all the side quests?

ScHlAuChi

lsslave said:
Its an Action RPG, it doesn't have "battles"

Compare it to games like Kingdom Hearts, not Tales of XXXX

I look at it as a nice mix of Monster Hunter (gathering, skinning, etc.), Zelda (dungeons, overworld, etc.), and an RPG.

Its a nice mix of genres, much like how Darksiders mixed Action gaming with Zelda exploration.

Sounds pretty good, guess ill get it then :)

Volcynika said:
I missed part of the ending stuff since i forgot to hit the XMB to pause it and something came up. Someone wanna quick run through of ending A for me?

Also, NG+ related
Like Freyjadour said, the Kaine backstory stuff was pretty awesome to read and learn about.

Not sure how far through you were. Basically:

Yonah wakes up, calls for her Dad, Nier runs up to her and she walks past him to Shadowlord. He talks to her and she starts talking about some girl inside her looking for her Dad too and how it isn't fair that she can't see him. Yonah walks to the window, tells Shadowlord that she's sorry, and the shade inside her leaves through the window. *Fight Continues* Weiss tells Nier he has one last job to do, and goes out like a Man. *Fight continues again* Nier runs over to Yonah and Kaine and presumes she's dead, but Weiss's voice comes across, insults him, and tells him to call out to her. She talks about her favorite things and asks who the person she loves is. You answer "Nier" and she reunites with Nier. She doesn't remember the last 5 years and is surprised by her body. Kaine begins to walk off and Nier calls out to her, she tells him to have a good life and he asks her if she'd like to live with them. Kaine mentions that she has her own shit to take care of that doesn't involve him. Yonah and Nier look out the window at the bright light and she mentions some girl inside her who wanted to see the light. *cut to light* Nier and Yonah are in the village, Yonah is young, they look up at the sky. *credits*

Whew! Think that's about right

lsslave

Jew Gamer
ScHlAuChi said:
Sounds pretty good, guess ill get it then :)

Ignore the graphics, they really are a let down, but the game is absolutely worth it I am not kidding you.

Its my 2nd favorite RPG on consoles this gen after Valykria Chronicles.

Now for Alpha Protocol, FFVs.XIII, and Last Story to be awesome and this gen will be back to being awesome for RPGs! :D (and please-oh-please a Grandia 4 announcement)

thetrin said:
You're going quickly through it. Are you doing all the side quests?

I'm doing a lot of them. I just play through games fast. What with having no life and presumably being unemployed for another month and all that :/

thetrin

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm doing a lot of them. I just play through games fast. What with having no life and presumably being unemployed for another month and all that :/

Yes, I guess that helps. :lol

Volcynika

Freyjadour said:
Not sure how far through you were. Basically:

Yonah wakes up, calls for her Dad, Nier runs up to her and she walks past him to Shadowlord. He talks to her and she starts talking about some girl inside her looking for her Dad too and how it isn't fair that she can't see him. Yonah walks to the window, tells Shadowlord that she's sorry, and the shade inside her leaves through the window. *Fight Continues* Weiss tells Nier he has one last job to do, and goes out like a Man. *Fight continues again* Nier runs over to Yonah and Kaine and presumes she's dead, but Weiss's voice comes across, insults him, and tells him to call out to her. She talks about her favorite things and asks who the person she loves is. You answer "Nier" and she reunites with Nier. She doesn't remember the last 5 years and is surprised by her body. Kaine begins to walk off and Nier calls out to her, she tells him to have a good life and he asks her if she'd like to live with them. Kaine mentions that she has her own shit to take care of that doesn't involve him. Yonah and Nier look out the window at the bright light and she mentions some girl inside her who wanted to see the light. *cut to light* Nier and Yonah are in the village, Yonah is young, they look up at the sky. *credits*

Whew! Think that's about right

Appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Gonna take a bit of a break before getting the other endings. Need to still get all the weapons too, I kinda just said "screw it" to the quests I had left tonight :lol

Volcynika said:
Appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Gonna take a bit of a break before getting the other endings. Need to still get all the weapons too, I kinda just said "screw it" to the quests I had left tonight :lol

No problem.

I'm already screwed on 100%, so not gonna worry about that. There isn't an achievement for it or any other significantly high number though, so no worries.

Are there any fishing quests after completing "The Fisherman's Final Gambit?" Sure would be nice not to have to reel in the last 2 fish I need to catch without another upgrade.

Edit:
Nevermind! Caught them all. That was easy.

At max level (after finishing all 9 fishing quests,) the very very last super bonus fish (the one with it's own trophy) you have to catch in the desert, was easier than the bream the Joystiq dude was trying to catch in his video. Just to put that in perspective.

Does anyone what percentage of quests should I be at
before the end of part 1
if I want to make sure I don't miss anything? I'm at 51%.

Ridley327

Basileus777 said:
Does anyone what percentage of quests should I be at
before the end of part 1
if I want to make sure I don't miss anything? I'm at 51%.

That sounds about right; there's a total of 36 quests in
part 1
, so you should do a quick count in the Completed Quests menu to see if you've hit that goal.

Sacha

Ridley327 said:
That sounds about right; there's a total of 36 quests in
part 1
, so you should do a quick count in the Completed Quests menu to see if you've hit that goal.

Does this number includes the fishing quests ?

Sacha

Thanks, that's a relief ! I'm asking because all the fishing quests can be done in
part 2
. Devola didn't have anything left for me, I hope I didn't miss anything...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Got Ending A last night and played the start of the next cycle through the extra Kaine stuff at the start, and yeah, this game is a flawed masterpiece.

I can see the issues reviewers have been bitching at, but truthfully none of them are that bad,
Its minor stuff that could easily be patched, the ridiculous hoo-hah over the unskippable fishing quest could be fixed with the addition of a single text prompt (Weiss: "Maybe we should try fishing somewhere else... at the red cross perhaps hmm!", for example.

I also don't think its a reasonable expectation for a game that wears as many gameplay and stylistic "hats" as Nier does, that it should match the best in class for each one. Especially as its genre conventions (as a JRPG) dictate that your character/party needs to start out relatively weak and limited and improve as the story progresses.

Great story and dialogue, fantastic characters and boss battles, lots of variety in gameplay. Seems like a winner to me.

Volcynika

I heard one of the prerequisites to get Ending C is to (not a spoiler at all, but just in case) is to
have all weapons
. Is that true?

Vrakanox

You guys know it's getting DLC soon right? I just finished that part with the fishing quest lol. Yeah I didn't know to go to the X either. Oh well.

Jinaar

Vrakanox said:
You guys know it's getting DLC soon right? I just finished that part with the fishing quest lol. Yeah I didn't know to go to the X either. Oh well.

I still feel pretty stupid for ending up fishing first right at the old man quest start location for 40 minutes straight. My brain initially went:

Step 1 find water - Ok water is right next to the quest guy
Step 2 see if you can fish - oh I can press O to fish. GREAT!
Step 3 catch fish - WHY IS THIS SO GODDAMN HARD AND FRUSTRATING!!! ARGH!

*40 minutes pass*

Step 4 Destroy PS3, go play Bad Company 2
Step 5 come back and try again, realize this is stupid, interwebs the answer, learn that fishing is super easy and not hard at all. X Marks the spot!

I'm still 100% to blame for my waste of time. I can at least laugh at it all and it hasn't impacted how much I have enjoyed this game. Off to
IMAGINAAAAATION LAND... IMAGINATTTTTTION ... IMAGINAAAAAAAATION!!!! Or that Dream Forest.

anddo0

Is there any incentive to finishing all of the quests other than the money trophy?

Speaking of the money trophy, do you need the entire 1mill in your possession, or is it held?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
anddo0 said:
Is there any incentive to finishing all of the quests other than the money trophy?

Speaking of the money trophy, do you need the entire 1mill in your possession, or is it held?

Once I'd accumulated around 600K worth of gold, I saved my game and then sold off everything I'd collected until I reached 1 million. Achievement unlocked and then I reloaded my pre-sell off save.

BluWacky

UK people who've been waiting for a price drop on Nier like I have - both PS3 and 360 versions of Nier are down to £15 at GAME - not sure if it's online only or in store as well, but I suspect I'll be making a trip into town tomorrow to find out!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Sacha said:
Continuous battle stage = FUCK YEAH !

And alt costumes, going by the second shot? I can dig it.

I'm also hoping for an 'alternate emotions' DLC that turns every moment of bittersweet triumph or fleeting hope into tragedy.

lljride

Never fails, everytime I order a game online I start kicking myself for not getting speedier shipping. I ordered it from Kmart earlier in the week, but it's not estimated to arrive until 5/11 :(. Tempted to just buy it from Gamestop and return the sealed copy from Kmart to GS when I get it but I don't want to be a dick.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So weird. This thread trips over themselves in love with this game, but reviews are skewering it left and right. I guess I'll just rent it and find out.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
For those of you who've played through Ending A:
Anyone else think that the Shadowlord (who, if I'm understanding everything correctly vis-a-vis the plot, is the Gestalt of Nier) looks more like the PS3 version of Nier you see in Nier Replicant as opposed to the Gary Busey-version of Nier in Nier Gestalt.
:)lol @ all the Niers in that sentence.) I've just begun my B playthrough however, so there might be something to explain this.

anddo0

luxarific said:
Once I'd accumulated around 600K worth of gold, I saved my game and then sold off everything I'd collected until I reached 1 million. Achievement unlocked and then I reloaded my pre-sell off save.

Does money carry over to NG+?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
ScHlAuChi said:
So which version should a multi console guy like me get?
PS3? 360? any differences?

PS3 is slightly sharper visually, although because of this it also has more noticeable jaggies and occasional low res textures. They're still present in the 360 version but are sort of covered up by the softer focus. The 360 version loads substantially faster. An uninstalled PS3 copy takes about 17-23 seconds to load an area. Installed is more like 5-7. 360 is 3-5 uninstalled. Otherwise they seem functionally identical.

I've ended up settling on the 360 version, because the load times were driving me up the wall.

I just saw ending C. Overall I have to say this is the best story in a videogame since Silent Hill 2 for me. What a little gem this is.

pancakesandsex said:
Trying to do the quest "Master of the Southern Plains." Can't find the shade I need to kill. Any suggestions.

I don't remember where it appears exactly, but I wouldn't force it. Just walk whenever you need to get to Seafront and it will appear sooner or later.

MattKeil said:
PS3 is slightly sharper visually, although because of this it also has more noticeable jaggies and occasional low res textures. They're still present in the 360 version but are sort of covered up by the softer focus. The 360 version loads substantially faster. An uninstalled PS3 copy takes about 17-23 seconds to load an area. Installed is more like 5-7. 360 is 3-5 uninstalled. Otherwise they seem functionally identical.

I've ended up settling on the 360 version, because the load times were driving me up the wall.

Where did you get this data from? Also the load times on PS3 are pretty good when installed (why wouldn't you install it)

Beat the game and a bit in the 2nd playthrough. Wow, tons of great story stuff at the end. I am really surprised by how good this story is...except:
the twins becoming evil. Kind of dumb. There is pretty much no hint of this through the game, and it was not believable either

I don't think I've ever disagreed with critics as much as I have with this game.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
FateBreaker said:
I am really surprised by how good this story is...except:
There are plenty of hints that things aren't right with them, some pretty overt, if you think back over it all. (Although some are warning bells at the time, too.)

'Evil's pretty relative, too.

Top Bottom