• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

RpgN

Baloonatic said:
You'd have to start a new games. You could just do it on easy mode and absolutely breeze through it.

Hmmmm...that's a shame...though the quests you've done are also brought over through new game plus...but I don't want to rush it...Ah...so it's like playing 4 times to get the 3 endings and that trophy. I might do what you said, thanks for the quick reply :)

RpgN said:
Hmmmm...that's a shame...though the quests you've done are also brought over through new game plus...but I don't want to rush it...Ah...so it's like playing 4 times to get the 3 endings and that trophy. I might do what you said, thanks for the quick reply :)

Your new game+ starts you half way through the game, so it's not like 4 whole playthroughs. Just a warning that because of this, if you miss any quests in the first half of the game you won't be able to finish all of them in new game+.

RpgN

That makes things a whole lot better, and thanks for the warning. I'll make sure not to miss any. Now all is left for the game to arrive itself :D

Sacha

DLC announced !

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...TIONAL_DOWNLOAD_CONTENT_FORACTIONRPG_NIER.php

About “The World of Recycled Vessel”

The diary entries of Nier’s wife became stranger and stranger as the Black Scrawl took hold of her body and edged her mind towards madness. “Recycled Vessel. Severance. Penance. Aberrance. Sufferance. Acceptance. Disturbance. Hindrance. Defiance. Forbearance. Intolerance. Vengeance. Repentance. Radiance. Extravagance. Malignance. Vigilance. Obeisance. Dominance. Allegiance. Resistance. Discordance. Petulance. Misguidance. Deliverance.”

What mysterious power draws Nier and Weiss into a twisted amalgam of his past and present? Play as young Nier, conquer 15 difficult challenge levels to unlock two sets of alternate costumes for Nier, Emil and Kainé, three powerful weapons that only a “Fool” would miss out on, enjoy new music unique to The World of Recycled Vessel and a bonus quest that challenges you to destroy your woolliest adversaries!

The World of Recycled Vessel is priced at €6.99 and 560 MSP

New levels, new costumes, new weapons, new music, new quest : FUCK YEAH !

matmanx1

DLC eh? When does it drop? I just finished ending A this morning. Pretty heavy stuff it was and alot of questions still to be answered. Hopefully I'll feel like starting on B ending tonight after work.

I'm not done with this strange and disturbing world yet, no, not nearly done.

isn't that pr blurb a bit spoilerish? i got to the second sentence before averting my eyes!

did they mention a release timeframe?

Sacha said:
The DLC will be available tomorrow on Xbox Live and the day after on PSN ! SO HYPED !

cool! are they adding any achievements/trophies?

i really need to get back to playing but the last two times i fired the game up i played for 8+ hours D:

Sacha

WickedLaharl said:
isn't that pr blurb a bit spoilerish? i got to the second sentence before averting my eyes!

Hm, I don't know if they made a mistake (by putting "wife" instead of "daughter"), or if this DLC will really elaborate on Nier's wife. She's only briefly mentioned in the game, so I'm not sure.

Jinaar

I have no idea how much real time I have spent on this game. Its past 30+ hours at this point.

Game One still
83% quests completed
Got
2 out of 5 runes
so far

Depending on the final 17% of quests to do, maybe I can get this completed by Wednesday night for the first time. Bloody fun time.

Game is making me sad though.
Everyones life is so fucked up. And in Part 2, the towns residents are so annoying with their speech. Oh Life is so hard. Oh everyone is doing less then me. Oh so tired bones. etc etc. Looks like everyone is complaining in the town and not taking responsibility. It is a neat touch to show how people are out of touch with the world they are in. Sounds familiar to this day and age :)

Jinaar said:
I have no idea how much real time I have spent on this game. Its past 30+ hours at this point.

Game One still
83% quests completed
Got
2 out of 5 runes
so far

Depending on the final 17% of quests to do, maybe I can get this completed by Wednesday night for the first time. Bloody fun time.

Game is making me sad though.
Everyones life is so fucked up. And in Part 2, the towns residents are so annoying with their speech. Oh Life is so hard. Oh everyone is doing less then me. Oh so tired bones. etc etc. Looks like everyone is complaining in the town and not taking responsibility. It is a neat touch to show how people are out of touch with the world they are in. Sounds familiar to this day and age :)

If you think it's sad right now, you might not want to play new game+. There is some seriously depressing shit in that one.

Sacha

Wow @ Kainé's costume

qyiflj.jpg

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
That's hot. My game of the year just got game of the year-er.

Sacha said:
Hm, I don't know if they made a mistake (by putting "wife" instead of "daughter"), or if this DLC will really elaborate on Nier's wife.

If you play as 'young Nier', then it's definitely his wife - Yonah wouldn't have been born.

Durante

WickedLaharl said:
isn't that pr blurb a bit spoilerish?
I stopped reading 5 words in!

My copy of the game still hasn't arrived, and I could get it for half the price now. Well, if I like it at least I can say I supported it :/

RpgN

Sacha said:
They're probably using Nier's 3D model from RepliCant.

What? Was he in that version when he was young? I thought those game were identical besides the main character?

RpgN said:
What? Was he in that version when he was young? I thought those game were identical besides the main character?
I think thats what he means, the Nier character in Replicant. Just use that model and call it 'young Nier'

swoon

ZephyrFate said:
Well, to be fair, Drakengard II's OST was also completely fuckawesome too (and the only reason to try the game out, really), but Nier's at least fits in with the pastoral, dying world feel that they have going on.

Chanting is actually pretty common in non-American music...

i dunno like pastoral isn't shrill singing, or bombast of chanting during bosses. pastoral would be those hand-made instruments of the area something like the soundtrack to days of heaven or an ozu film would be apt.

i mean i get chanting in terms of context of y'know our worlds music, but how would they have that tradition? it doesn't appear anywhere else in the world, the one scene i've seen where people actually play music, has a lute-like instrument not whatever is going on the soundtrack.

i think this also may touch on the overall tonal problem of the game, but i mean it's fun regardless of its tonal inconsistency .

also wtf at that dlc description. i think i just had the game ruined. as i'm only like 14 hours in.

RpgN

BlazingDarkness said:
I think thats what he means, the Nier character in Replicant. Just use that model and call it 'young Nier'

Oooh...that would be lazy but I wouldn't mind. Prior to reading about them I prefered the Replicant character more anyways.

Ridley327

That PR blurb doesn't spoil anything, as Nier's wife is long dead by the time the events of the game start.

That DLC sounds pretty substantial!

Volcynika

swoon said:
also wtf at that dlc description. i think i just had the game ruined. as i'm only like 14 hours in.

Considering the only mention of Nier's wife is a small exchange (with no information about her at all) between him and another character, no, no it's not ruined.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I assume as the "new costumes" are model swaps (the Kaine image looks more than a texture replacement to me) if you can play as Young Nier i.e. Replicant Nier, in the DLC you'll be able to use it throughout the game?

It should be a pretty comprehensive switch as aside from a handful of CG sequences, all the cut-scenes are handled in-engine. Its one of the reasons why the game looks a bit dated, you rarely see games these days that don't switch to extra-high LOD scenes and models for their close-ups/big moments - Nier just runs with the assets as-is.

Either way, I can't wait.

For those that play Nier as you aware that while playing message change in real time. Oh my friend list I saw 2 playing the game on PSN and it was updating with where they were in the game with funny quotes. That's rather novel I think.

Playing through Replicant now, and I have to say, the soundtrack is excellent. Pretty sure a lot of these tracks that stand out to me aren't in Gestalt/NIER US/EU.

Playing Replicant first and then starting NIER US (PS3).

Laugh all you want, but I think the different Nier character really changes the atmosphere and fits it a little better. And a lot of the fetch questing just seems a lot better off for a kid to be doing it than a barbarian-like man. Some of the environments (well, many) remind me of the huge-in-scale valleys, covered in fog and an almost artistic lighting and fields of Shadow of the Colossus, and Replicant's Nier is a lot more like Wander than Gestalt's Nier is. Then there's the dungeon elements from Zelda games, and many other aspects similar to Zelda. Nier Replicant's voice actor sounds almost EXACTLY like Zelda OOT's child/adult Link voice actor also. Then you have subtle elements from Kingdom Hearts in the gameplay too.

Urban Scholar said:
For those that play Nier as you aware that while playing message change in real time. Oh my friend list I saw 2 playing the game on PSN and it was updating with where they were in the game with funny quotes. That's rather novel I think.
Yeah :lol some guy on my friend list PMed me twice saying 'WTF is that message about? lol' He said the messages were funny and really stood out

jetsetfluken said:
Playing through Replicant now, and I have to say, the soundtrack is excellent. Pretty sure a lot of these tracks that stand out to me aren't in Gestalt/NIER US/EU.
What led you to believe this? Everything I have seen indicates that the games share the same soundtrack. I mean, the ost is named the NieR Gestalt & RepliCant OST.

Schopenhauer said:
What led you to believe this? Everything I have seen indicates that the games share the same soundtrack. I mean, the ost is named the NieR Gestalt & RepliCant OST.

From what I heard from a few people, most of the tracks are the same, but some of the key themes are different - Gestalt has an "edgier" sound and Replicant has a more "majestic" sometimes monumental feel to it with more symphonic vocal hymns and some more peaceful sounding tracks.

As for the OST, I believe it's separated into Gestalt and Replicant sections, possibly each CD for each game's unique tracks. Don't quote me on that.

I think there might be something wrong with my game. (Major end game spoilers)
For the question Yonah asks regarding who she loves the most, I put in the father's name and it keeps saying that isn't the right one.
Am I screwed?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
cosmicblizzard said:
I think there might be something wrong with my game. (Major end game spoilers)
For the question Yonah asks regarding who she loves the most, I put in the father's name and it keeps saying that isn't the right one.
Am I screwed?

Have you copied the name exactly? Maybe you put a space at the end of his name accidentally.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Big drakengard fan, at least the first one, with all of the love this thread is getting it sounds like I need to run out and buy this game today!

ULTROS! said:
Have you copied the name exactly? Maybe you put a space at the end of his name accidentally.

I've done every single variation with and without spacing.
I don't know what the problem is. I really don't want to do that dungeon again but I will if I have to so I can actually see his name.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
cosmicblizzard said:
I've done every single variation with and without spacing.
I don't know what the problem is. I really don't want to do that dungeon again but I will if I have to so I can actually see his name.

It's whatever you named
Nier at the beginning of the game. E.g., if you mistakenly plugged in your own name, instead of Nier at the beginning for some reason (like me! :lol), you have to plug in your own name.

luxarific said:
It's whatever you named
Nier at the beginning of the game. E.g., if you mistakenly plugged in your own name, instead of Nier at the beginning for some reason (like me! :lol), you have to plug in your own name.

Yeah, I know that. Turns out I accidentally had a
space at the beginning of his name.
Had to do the dungeon again to figure that out. Whoops :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What I don't like about this game is the tons and tons of heavy grinding for raw materials in order to get the 3 trophies for weapon upgrades. Some people took 12 hours to get 4 eagle eggs in the Aerie (I got 2 though, one in 3 hours, one in 20 minutes).

ULTROS! said:
What I don't like about this game is the tons and tons of heavy grinding for raw materials in order to get the 3 trophies for weapon upgrades. Some people took 12 hours to get 4 eagle eggs in the Aerie (I got 2 though, one in 3 hours, one in 20 minutes).

I agree, but this seems to be normal for japanese RPG's. Want all trophies? Go through hell!

I have all the weapon upgrades now, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a life :lol (edit: and it's a silver trophy ffs!!!)

LegatoB

jetsetfluken said:
As for the OST, I believe it's separated into Gestalt and Replicant sections, possibly each CD for each game's unique tracks. Don't quote me on that.
This is definitely wrong, just so you know. I've heard all the tracks on both discs in-game in Gestalt, minus the one track at the end that's explicitly labelled "not-in-game bonus."

ULTROS! said:
Fuck that town and fuck that egg.

Sacha

RepliCant Nier confirmed as "young Nier" in this DLC folks !

24nmakm.jpg

j7868j.jpg

Full resolution here : http://scrawlfx.com/gallery/nier/may-10-2010/

Scrawl FX also seems to have a couple more details about the DLC :

# 15 new areas and stages for players to explore throughout NIER’s main storyline, including new on-rails shooter stages, room challenges and additional surprises
# New configurations for existing areas and towns with original monsters to defeat along the way
# New costumes for Nier, Kaine and Emil to unlock, including Kabuki and Samurai

Looks more and more promising ! Can't wait !

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Awesome! Would the costumes be equitable in the main story as well? I'd like to play through as young Nier trying to save my daughter I apparently had when I was about 3.

So I'm starting NG+ and I really don't have the motivation to go on. This happens in a lot of games after I've seen the ending. Is the second playthrough really that different or should I just watch ending b/c/d on youtube or something?

Top Bottom