• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

thetrin said:
You are SO missing out. The text adventure is well written, and the stories are well told. Seriously. You are missing out.

I really hope you didn't get fed up because it's reading. I enjoyed the reading sections greatly (I didn't really like having to read all of it again after getting questions wrong, but it's quick to get through a second time).

It makes me sad that "having to read" is now a minus in regards to anything. :(

It's not that I hate reading, I wouldn't be here all day if I did. I just have a problem registering anything that isn't dialogue. I know that makes me an anomaly as a writer but ADHD is a bitch. It's why I read plays but rarely novels.

I will say that I LOVED Weiss and the father getting pissed at the narrator. That was great :lol

Oyashiro

I'm doing the Two Brothers quest after you get the Iron Will from them where
you have to avenge the guy's brother.
Anyone know exactly where I have to go? I hate this place with a passion.

Volcynika

Oyashiro said:
I'm doing the Two Brothers quest after you get the Iron Will from them where
you have to avenge the guy's brother.
Anyone know exactly where I have to go? I hate this place with a passion.

If you already have the sword completed, go through B2 again and drop down where that save point is for the boss.

Oyashiro

I just finished it. Awesome game, I have to say. Loved the story, dialogue, voice acting, characters, and music. Gameplay was meh. And as much as I did love the story, the ending was a bit... anticlimactic. There's still a lot of questions unanswered like
what is the Black Scrawl? Does Yonah still have it at the end of the game? Who is the Shadowlord?
etc etc. I wonder if some of these get addressed in New Game +.

Oyashiro said:
I just finished it. Awesome game, I have to say. Loved the story, dialogue, voice acting, characters, and music. Gameplay was meh. And as much as I did love the story, the ending was a bit... anticlimactic. There's still a lot of questions unanswered like
what is the Black Scrawl? Does Yonah still have it at the end of the game? Who is the Shadowlord?

You have 3 more endings to go :)

Oyashiro said:

yep

Oyashiro

Hm... well, I don't really care about achievements that much, but I think I will be getting all the weapons just to see ending C. I really want to learn more about the story, and I just found out from a friend that apparently in your first NG+, you get some backstory on
the bosses
Can't wait for that!

Just a heads up to anyone in the UK, this is already £15 at Game.co.uk. They're having a clearance sale but obviously this bombed pretty hard to be discounted so much so soon.

PS3

Krelian

Baloonatic said:
Just a heads up to anyone in the UK, this is already £15 at Game.co.uk. They're having a clearance sale but obviously this bombed pretty hard to be discounted so much so soon.

PS3
Argh, if only I had waited a bit. Haven't even started the game, but paid full price :(

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Vortex566 said:
Is it worth the £14.99? I'm tempted, but only because it's so cheap.

I paid full (and brutal) UK RRP and have no regrets. At £15 its a bargain.

Sure its not the best looking game out there, but I never found the lack of "shiny" to impact the gameplay. The frame-rate is stable even when there's a lot going on, and several of the boss fights are genuinely impressive in their scale.

I played through on PS3 but I've seen a decent chunk on a workmate's 360. Very similar performance-wise but I found the 360 had a much "softer" look which you might find appealing. On the other hand as the game uses the dpad for a bunch of stuff, you might be better off with PS3 ( Obviously YMMV based on controller quality/preference).

Buy for your platform of choice with confidence.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there an FAQ of a complete weapon list and where to acquire each one? I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the weapons from the dungeons, but I'm not entirely sure.

Oyashiro said:
Hm... well, I don't really care about achievements that much, but I think I will be getting all the weapons just to see ending C. I really want to learn more about the story, and I just found out from a friend that apparently in your first NG+, you get some backstory on
the bosses
Can't wait for that!

It really is worth continuing on. I'm not the sort of person who likes replaying games immediately at all, but Nier just keeps bringing on the emotional story telling.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Freyjadour said:
It really is worth continuing on. I'm not the sort of person who likes replaying games immediately at all, but Nier just keeps bringing on the emotional story telling.

What portion of the story is revealed in Ending C that is omitted in Ending B?

Oyashiro

So once you get Ending B, will the third new game be a full one? I've done like 2 quests total this whole time, so I really wanna go back and do them all.

By the way, I just want to say that this game's soundtrack is now my favorite video game soundtrack of all time, and I nearly cried during several scenes because of the amount of emotional depth that the songs add to them.

Volcynika

Oyashiro said:
So once you get Ending B, will the third new game be a full one? I've done like 2 quests total this whole time, so I really wanna go back and do them all.

By the way, I just want to say that this game's soundtrack is now my favorite video game soundtrack of all time, and I nearly cried during several scenes because of the amount of emotional depth that the songs add to them.

No. All NG+ runs start at the same part.

N30RYU

Just got the two first timed bosses trophies... (Gretel & Berserking shade) and now it's getting interesting.

Subject 7 is really cool.

So I like the story right now, but I fucking hate these fetch quests.

Also, I want crazy shit to happen. Like, right now. I'm just before the Forest of Myth. Does shit start getting crazy there?

I finally beat it. Good game, but it's a bit disappointing how easy the game gets later on. Even on hard I didn't really have to do more than use the spear dash to easily kill bosses.

Ridley327

ZephyrFate said:
So I like the story right now, but I fucking hate these fetch quests.

Also, I want crazy shit to happen. Like, right now. I'm just before the Forest of Myth. Does shit start getting crazy there?

In ways you don't expect. :D

iammeiam

So based on the storyline and my play-time I thought I was either at the end of the game or really close. Kind of confused by the low quest-completion percentage but ultimately decided I must have missed a bunch.

So then, of course,
it jumps five years ahead, and now I have no idea how much game is left.
. Can somebody give me a rough idea, assuming I'm doing every quest I can find?

The fetch quests can get grating, but then they throw in a curveball like the "Runaway Son" quest and I have a hard time holding a grudge. Initially I was pissed at the running around involved.
Then, I was sort of happy to get the kid to go home, finally, without him dying. Finally, a happy ending! Then comes the whole "life of crime" bit, and it just gets meta. It's a stupid waste of time to the player, and the game just sort of goes "Yep, that was totally not worth it. Sucks to be you."
. Makes me want more frustrating quests just so the game has more chances to surprise me.

anddo0

Pink moonflower seeds anyone?

I've tried

[Red] [Red] [Red]
[Ing] [Ing] [Ing]
[Red] [Red] [Red]
[Ing] [Ing] [Ing]
[Red] [Red] [Red]

with no success. I've replanted at least 18 times, and nothing.. Fishing was a cakewalk compared to cultivation.

swoon

Why would you even use it? The soundtrack is, like, the best ever.

the northern plains theme is one of the worst things ever, and i've played through fxii. the rest of the music is really awful and out of place thematically with the story. i don't really understand that annoying chanting music - is this the traditional music of their land, somehow?

it seems like the soundtrack sound be like homemade instruments, whistles, banjos not epic stuff. it would be neat if they covered like the music of their past, which would be electro based, on these homespun instruments.

swoon said:
the northern plains theme is one of the worst things ever, and i've played through fxii. the rest of the music is really awful and out of place thematically with the story. i don't really understand that annoying chanting music - is this the traditional music of their land, somehow?

it seems like the soundtrack sound be like homemade instruments, whistles, banjos not epic stuff. it would be neat if they covered like the music of their past, which would be electro based, on these homespun instruments.
You are literally the first person to say that the music is out of place or awful. Literally, the first.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
anddo0 said:

I've tried

[Red] [Red] [Red]
[Ing] [Ing] [Ing]
[Red] [Red] [Red]
[Ing] [Ing] [Ing]
[Red] [Red] [Red]

with no success. I've replanted at least 18 times, and nothing.. Fishing was a cakewalk compared to cultivation.

I got them in my first try, just keep retrying. It took me 40x till I got White moonflower seed.

Edit: did you use the bounty fertilizer?

Ridley327

anddo0 said:

I've tried

[Red] [Red] [Red]
[Ing] [Ing] [Ing]
[Red] [Red] [Red]
[Ing] [Ing] [Ing]
[Red] [Red] [Red]

Pink moonflower seeds require alternating Indigo and Red seeds in the same row. They have a fairly low drop-rate, though, so be patient.

anddo0

ULTROS! said:
I got them in my first try, just keep retrying. It took me 40x till I got White moonflower seed.

Edit: did you use the bounty fertilizer?

No fertilizer, just water for the initial plant.

Ridley327 said:
Pink moonflower seeds require alternating Indigo and Red seeds in the same row. They have a fairly low drop-rate, though, so be patient.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

swoon

ZephyrFate said:
You are literally the first person to say that the music is out of place or awful. Literally, the first.

has anyone said anything beyond "epic" about it? i mean videogame music in these games almost never has the level of development as the rest of the world they've just created, it's weird.

Ridley327

anddo0 said:
No fertilizer, just water for the initial plant.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Trust me when I say that any difficulties you have getting Pink seeds will be minor compared to trying for White seeds. The only good news about it is that you only need the seeds for the trophy to pop up, but prepare yourself to spend a couple of hours of resetting and clock adjustment to make it happen.

swoon said:
has anyone said anything beyond "epic" about it? i mean videogame music in these games almost never has the level of development as the rest of the world they've just created, it's weird.
Well, to be fair, Drakengard II's OST was also completely fuckawesome too (and the only reason to try the game out, really), but Nier's at least fits in with the pastoral, dying world feel that they have going on.

Chanting is actually pretty common in non-American music...

thetrin

Fuck, this second playthrough is fucking depressing. Seriously fucking depressing.

swoon said:

While I don't think its bad ,but so far I have to agree that the soundtrack isn't anything great. It has not done anything for me. Its disappointing after all the praise the soundtrack is getting on here. Drakengard 1 and 2 had way better soundtracks.

Cuisino

Neo Member
awesome game.

however, what am I supposed to do with all my stuff I can harvest (like tomatoes and tulip etc)? Just sell it? Is that it?

Also I don't really understand the "word" kind of thing...I just sometimes get "random" words. Is this totally random or what?

Rahxephon91 said:
While I don't think its bad ,but so far I have to agree that the soundtrack isn't anything great. It has not done anything for me. Its disappointing after all the praise the soundtrack is getting on here. Drakengard 1 and 2 had way better soundtracks.

Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 11:20 AM)
Reply | Quote

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I love the Nier OST, but I can understand it won't be everybody's cup'o'tea. I mean just putting it inside a musical genre is kinda tough... Its unusual to be sure.

Don't judge it too quickly though, the music is keyed in very tightly to story progression and particular characters and their story arcs, its definitely where the most emotionally charged stuff is.

Dambrosi

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Drakengard 1
Five-second loops repeated ad infinitum throughout the whole game
CornetteFace.jpg

RpgN

Baloonatic said:

PS3

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered myself the ps3 version. I was always interested in the game but couldn't afford it for the time being. Glad I could still get my hands on it about a month after release, well hopefully it won't get sold out at least XD

I have a question though, I've been reading a lot through this thread without playing it and one of you said that you can get a trophy for completing the game in 10 hours. I'm the kind of person who does every extra quest though, would I still be able to get that trophy on new game plus or does that not count?

RpgN said:
Thanks for the heads up, just ordered myself the ps3 version. I was always interested in the game but couldn't afford it for the time being. Glad I could still get my hands on it about a month after release, well hopefully it won't get sold out at least XD

I have a question though, I've been reading a lot through this thread without playing it and one of you said that you can get a trophy for completing the game in 10 hours. I'm the kind of person who does every extra quest though, would I still be able to get that trophy on new game plus or does that not count?

You'd have to start a new games. You could just do it on easy mode and absolutely breeze through it.

Top Bottom