• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Oyashiro

Sigh, I wish I would have known that you can't do the quests from the first half of the game in a New Game +. Is it possible to get 30 quests AFTER the point of no return? If not, I'm gonna have to start a new game for the 15 hour achievement, another one for the 30 quests, and then beat the game 3 more times for the endings. :lol Doesn't sound all that exciting.

Sacha

InfiniteNine said:
Awesome! Would the costumes be equitable in the main story as well? I'd like to play through as young Nier trying to save my daughter I apparently had when I was about 3.

Seems like each character will get kabuki and samurai costumes for the whole game, but the young Nier will only be playable in the 15 stages of the DLC.

cosmicblizzard said:
So I'm starting NG+ and I really don't have the motivation to go on. This happens in a lot of games after I've seen the ending. Is the second playthrough really that different or should I just watch ending b/c/d on youtube or something?

Play through the Lost Temple.

Honestly, if you aren't doing any more quests, upgrading, or what not, NG+ takes a handful of hours (seriously, 2-3) to finish. It's really interesting, I promise.

Oyashiro said:
Sigh, I wish I would have known that you can't do the quests from the first half of the game in a New Game +. Is it possible to get 30 quests AFTER the point of no return? If not, I'm gonna have to start a new game for the 15 hour achievement, another one for the 30 quests, and then beat the game 3 more times for the endings. :lol Doesn't sound all that exciting.

You can do waaay more than 30 after the point of no return. Even if you did no quests before, I wouldn't worry. Either way, being upset about not getting the platinum after one real "playthrough" is a bit silly :p.

Sacha said:
RepliCant Nier confirmed as "young Nier" in this DLC folks !

Full resolution here : http://scrawlfx.com/gallery/nier/may-10-2010/

Scrawl FX also seems to have a couple more details about the DLC :

Looks more and more promising ! Can't wait !

I have huge mixed feelings on this. I love this game to death, and I want to support as much as possible, but I really don't like this sort of DLC. Especially after I paid full price day one to have it drop heavily within a few days of being out. If the story stuff is good, I won't have any choice but to grab it, but if it's just challenge stages and outfits, I'll probably pass.

swoon

Volcynika said:
Considering the only mention of Nier's wife is a small exchange (with no information about her at all) between him and another character, no, no it's not ruined.

for some reason i read this as "your daughter is your past-dead wife" or something. my mind was blown.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This game is... Heavier than Heavy Rain. (Really should've been the tag line)

NG+ ... seriously.... This is some brave, radical, game design.

The fact that this has just been fobbed off in certain publications as just some J-game curiosity is embarrassing. What Cavia are doing with the storytelling in Nier is inspired, and whether history will consider it a success or a failure it should be being talked about.

I'm not being totally flip with the Heavy Rain comparison either. Obviously the presentation and mechanics are miles apart, but the intention to provide a complex emotional story is the same.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sacha said:
Seems like each character will get kabuki and samurai costumes for the whole game, but the young Nier will only be playable in the 15 stages of the DLC.
Boo! Oh well, the other costumes look pretty interesting as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was going to buy Nier Replicant for my collection, but if young Nier is going to be DLC, I'm having second thoughts.

Masamuna

Just got to
Part 2
, absolutely adore this game. The only gripe I have about the story is that the character development seems to go by a bit too quickly. Like, the sense of camaraderie between the main cast seems to be almost instantaneous in between scenes. Granted, this seems to be a trend i've noticed with a lot of japanese games lately (or maybe its always been there and my exposure to certain WRPGs these pass couple of years makes it apparent).

Still love it though XD

Finally Platinum! Just in time for the DLC.

Speed run took me 6:05 on easy with 1 quest completed (boar) and all cutscenes/dialogue skipped.

Masamuna said:
Just got to
Part 2
, absolutely adore this game. The only gripe I have about the story is that the character development seems to go by a bit too quickly. Like, the sense of camaraderie between the main cast seems to be almost instantaneous in between scenes. Granted, this seems to be a trend i've noticed with a lot of japanese games lately (or maybe its always been there and my exposure to certain WRPGs these pass couple of years makes it apparent).

Still love it though XD

I noticed that as well, but I found it more endearing than anything in this particular instance. I haven't picked up on it as a trend though, what other games were you thinking of?

Masamuna

pancakesandsex said:
I noticed that as well, but I found it more endearing than anything in this particular instance. I haven't picked up on it as a trend though, what other games were you thinking of?

Usually I only noticed it in certain RPG's last gen (ala Wild ARMs 5). The game that really got me thinking about it recently was FFXIII. I do agree though that Nier pulls it off a bit more convincingly so it really didn't bother me.

Sacha

Dammit, 98% quests done, I missed one. :( For those trying to get 100% there's a quest that Devola doesn't give you during part one. You have to speak to the guy who's near the lighthouse (he's talking about how his girlfriend doesn't pay attention to him anymore) several times to start the quest "The Pride of a Lover".

Found a nasty (but slightly funny) bug:
During the fight with the leader wolf in the second half, I used the jumping spear attack on him as he was charging his jump attack on the monument in the middle of the area. Instead of doing his normal jump attack downwards he flew 1000 feet into the air and came back down, dead, about 10 seconds later :lol Unfortunately it didn't register as dead so I had to load my last save.
Not a big deal as I'd saved just before.

Jinaar

So.... freakin'..... tired......

... finally got 100% quests done..... praise be Weiss they are done.

Tonight.... I see Ending A. Huzzah!

Emil...
.. seriously, you can't get a break. Turn everything to stone. Learn you are a weapon and your sister was an even worst monster created. Then you become... this floating monstrosity. To then have the lives of Aeries people on your hands... shit. Poor kid.

Picked the game up this weekend and I'm glad I did. I wasted most of Sunday on it, and am really enjoying it so far. It's definitely a case of a game being greater than the sum of its parts (aside from the music, which is perfect). It's sad that it was so panned by most review outlets.

This dream game is dream fascinating. The Buried dream Sand Temple was awesome. Wicked boss dream, too. 50% completion on the quests. Kainé is hilarious dreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdreamdream.

I played through the DLC. It's basically three sets of 5 challenge rooms. The fights aren't especially difficult, but it's tougher than what you fight in the rest of the game. There isn't much story in it other than some vague lines of text between fights. It took me about an hour to play through it.

There's also some new remixed music. You don't get any experience from killing things and the enemies don't drop anything but recovery items. You get a new set of weapons (one of each type) that seems to be worse than the Phoenix set, you get the Kabuki and Samurai costumes, and you get 10k experience and 50k gold for beating the whole thing. There's also a bunch of crates in the last set of challenge rooms that drops some nice items (ie meteroite, pyrite, clamps, amber).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really like this game but I lost motivation to platinum it due to its difficulty in item farming. :(

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Thanks for the DLC impressions; I was sold anyway, but still.

The next playthroughs should be a little easier going, now that I can dress everyone as kabuki or samurai while their brutally pessimistic worldview is stripped away to an even more unfathomable moral emptiness.

Basileus777 said:
I played through the DLC. It's basically three sets of 5 challenge rooms. The fights aren't especially difficult, but it's tougher than what you fight in the rest of the game. There isn't much story in it other than some vague lines of text between fights. It took me about an hour to play through it.

There's also some new remixed music. You don't get any experience from killing things and the enemies don't drop anything but recovery items. You get a new set of weapons (one of each type) that seems to be worse than the Phoenix set, you get the Kabuki and Samurai costumes, and you get 10k experience and 50k gold for beating the whole thing. There's also a bunch of crates in the last set of challenge rooms that drops some nice items (ie meteroite, pyrite, clamps, amber).

How does it work? Can you farm it? How do you enter it?

pancakesandsex said:
How does it work? Can you farm it? How do you enter it?

You enter it through the bookshelf in Nier's home. Inside, you go through three different doors which trigger a series of 5 challenge rooms where you have to kill all enemies. It can be redone as much as you like, so you can farm it.

Since I've purchased the DLC, Kaine and Emil have started to shown up in the loading screens instead of just Yonah, so it seems there are other tweaks.

Basileus777 said:
You enter it through the bookshelf in Nier's home. Inside, you go through three different doors which trigger a series of 5 challenge rooms where you have to kill all enemies. It can be redone as much as you like, so you can farm it.

Since I've purchased the DLC, Kaine and Emil have started to shown up in the loading screens instead of just Yonah, so it seems there are other tweaks.

They mentioned something about new town configurations. Are there any new items being sold anywhere? Can I buy eagle eggs at some obscene price in the aerie?

Basileus777 said:

can you do it any time? Or do you need to have completed the game?

anddo0

ZephyrFate said:
I want the money so I can buy shit. And the trophy.

Grow wheat and rice, if I remember correctly X99= 24k.. They don't take long to harvest either, or go to the Junk Yard and grind for a half hour, those parts sell for a lot.

I just got to the 2nd part on my own playthrough. I have to say I'm finding the game pretty weak so far. Last time I played it was with a friend and I gave the game the benefit of the doubt since I never pay attention to games when I play with friends. Well since I was given the game as a gift, I felt I mine as well play it.

I think a lot of it has to do with GAF over hyping this game as something amazing. If I had just gone in with no assumptions other then this is going to be a Cavia game then I think I would have been really surprised by the game.

So far though the story has been incredibly boring. I don't find any of these characters as interesting as many stated. They all seem pretty weak.

Nier is just a nice guy whos only focused on saving his daughter. Thats it. Theres hardly anything to his character. Yeah I guess he has a personality, but its pretty much a boring "i'm here" personality. So far there doesn't seem to be any depth to his character like quirks or flaws. On a whole the characters don 't seem to get much development past "here are my motivations". I thought I would like a no nonsense character as the lead but so far hes been plain and boring.

Kaine is pretty meh. OH I cruse because "I'm a guy" in a fanserivce ridden body. Oh but I also have a soft side that helps people. Typical anime female character if you ask me. Adding some more "dark" stuff doesn't make her interesting.

Wiess-Whatever. The entire friend thing at the end of part 1 was pretty lame. Where did it come from? Why does Emil care if he leaves.

Beyond that I just don't think so far the game's story has done anything. Yes I understand its only part 1 ,but part one took me a couple of hours and I expected something actually interesting to happen.

Since the story is pretty meh so far all you have left is the gameplay. Which I guess is solid, but not worth actually sitting through. It seems with the addition of more weapons it will become interesting ,but so far it was just smash X and use just one magic spell when needed. Thats ok for these type of games and some of the boss battles were fun.

Rahxephon91 said:
I just got to the 2nd part on my own playthrough. I have to say I'm finding the game pretty weak so far. Last time I played it was with a friend and I gave the game the benefit of the doubt since I never pay attention to games when I play with friends. Well since I was given the game as a gift, I felt I mine as well play it.

I think a lot of it has to do with GAF over hyping this game as something amazing. If I had just gone in with no assumptions other then this is going to be a Cavia game then I think I would have been really surprised by the game.

So far though the story has been incredibly boring. I don't find any of these characters as interesting as many stated. They all seem pretty weak.

Nier is just a nice guy whos only focused on saving his daughter. Thats it. Theres hardly anything to his character. Yeah I guess he has a personality, but its pretty much a boring "i'm here" personality. So far there doesn't seem to be any depth to his character like quirks or flaws. On a whole the characters don 't seem to get much development past "here are my motivations". I thought I would like a no nonsense character as the lead but so far hes been plain and boring.

Kaine is pretty meh. OH I cruse because I'm a guy in a fanserivce ridden body. Oh but I also have a soft side that helps people. Typical anime female character if you ask me. Adding some more "dark" stuff doesn't make her interesting.

Wiess-Whatever. The entire friend thing at the end of part 1 was pretty lame. Where did it come from? Why does Emil care if he leaves.

Beyond that I just don't think so far the game's story has done anything. Yes I understand its only part 1 ,but part one took me a couple of hours and I expected something actually interesting to happen.

Since the story is pretty meh so far all you have left is the gameplay. Which I guess is solid, but not worth actually sitting through. It seems with the addition of more weapons it will become interesting ,but so far it was just smash X and use just one magic spell when needed. Thats ok for these type of games and some of the boss battles were fun.

Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 07:36 PM)

ZephyrFate said:
Kaine is a hermaphrodite. This is not 'a guy trapped in a woman's body' for fuck's sake. People are idiots.
Really? I didn't know that.... I wonder what the " "'s were for. To bad that's the way the game likes to present her character. Even the book likes to make comments about how unlady like she is.

Freyjadour said:
Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 07:36 PM)
Oh look aren't you original. Almost as unoriginal as this game.

Wow, okay, this game is not 'unoriginal'. That's a really stupid fuck thing to say.

Just because they made her brash and arrogant does not mean they made her more like a man. Brashness, arrogance, and vulgarity are not inherently masculine traits. She adopted these traits because of the way people treat her... as a freak.

If you actually looked at any of the dialogue or did any sidequests or did everything in the Forest of Myth you'd realize the game has a crazy amount of depth to its storyline, and its characters.

dramatis

Rahxephon91 said:

Why do you feel the need to justify yourself so much? You said before that you thought this is a terrible game that you wouldn't play for the story, yet you need to use excuses to say why you are playing it now? If you are walking in with such negative impressions, then why pretend you have some semblance of balance in your evaluation? You also said before that you don't care about story, so why bother commenting so much on it?

If you were confident in your opinion from your impressions in the first place, you wouldn't need to blame GAF hype.

Wow, okay, this game is not 'unoriginal'. That's a really stupid fuck thing to say.
Ok how about you say why its not "unoriginal"?

The gameplay is pretty typical so can't really say anything about that. As far as the story is concerned so far. The characters are typical jrpg stuff with added "dark" things.

Just because they made her brash and arrogant does not mean they made her more like a man. Brashness, arrogance, and vulgarity are not inherently masculine traits. She adopted these traits because of the way people treat her... as a freak.
They are actually traits that are socially seen more in males then females. If what you say is true then the entire hermaphrodite thing wouldn't be needed. Its there only to have specfic thing to point to as to why this character acts less "girly" and more manly. It wouldn't need such a stupid and unneeded thing to develop the character.

If you actually looked at any of the dialogue
Kind of hard not to since you have to read most of it.

or did any sidequests or did everything in the Forest of Myth you'd realize the game has a crazy amount of depth to its storyline, and its characters.
For you it does. Not for me. Its a pretty big disappointment in that area. And why not put that development in the actual main game?

Why do you feel the need to justify yourself so much? You said before that you thought this is a terrible game that you wouldn't play for the story, yet you need to use excuses to say why you are playing it now? If you are walking in with such negative impressions, then why pretend you have some semblance of balance in your evaluation? You also said before that you don't care about story, so why bother commenting so much on it?

If you were confident in your opinion from your impressions in the first place, you wouldn't need to blame GAF hype.
And I wasn't confident about my opinions on the game. Dont see whats wrong with giving it a 2nd chance espically since GAF hyped it up. I'm going to give a game a 2nd chance if everyone is giving a game high marks. Perhaps I missed something. But since I'm giving the game a 2nd chance based on hype , if a game doesn't reach that hype then its going to fail harder then it normally would. Hence over hyping a game.

And I didn't say I don't care about story, I just think gameplay over story and since the game has a pretty big story focus, you kind of have to comment on it. Theres not much to say about the gameplay other then its kind of solid. I don't think its as terrible as a ounce did,but I'm not sure if its solid enough to carry the game.

matmanx1

Kaine's character makes FAR more sense once you start on New Game+.

Nier is a very one dimensional character but it's a dimension I can relate to. He will stop at nothing to save his daughter. End of story. It works for a motivation and puts everything else in context.

Weiss so far hasn't been well explained. I'm on New Game + (so I've seen the "A" ending) but I still have alot of questions. Hopefully more will be revealed.

Bottom line though, I find the gameplay to be fun and I find the tragic bleakness of the gameworld to be strangely compelling. If the game isn't as compelling for you then don't play it. There's too many good games around to spend time on one that isn't doing it for you.

Sanic

I just want a quick confirmation of somthing: I knew nothing of this game until I clicked on the thread, and after reading a few pages the game seems to basically be a quircky Zelda clone, correct?

Pandoracell said:
I just want a quick confirmation of somthing: I knew nothing of this game until I clicked on the thread, and after reading a few pages the game seems to basically be a quircky Zelda clone, correct?
Zelda meets jRPG meets text adventure meets third-person bullet hell meets fishing simulator meets gardening simulator meets dark, emotional adventure

Sanic

ZephyrFate said:
Zelda meets jRPG meets text adventure meets third-person bullet hell meets fishing simulator meets gardening simulator meets dark, emotional adventure

That's different enough for me:lol

Basileus777 said:

sounds pretty shitty for 7$

glad i waited for impressions first.

Basileus777 said:

Are there new trophies? And wasn't there also a mention of a new quest? If not, I will probably skip it, too hooked on SSFIV right now.

Rahxephon91 said:

I guess it's good that you gave the game a second chance. But if you can't rely to story and characters by now, you should probably lay it to rest.

Also your tag can't be quoted enough, you really have shitty taste :lol

Rahxephon91 said:
They are actually traits that are socially seen more in males then females. If what you say is true then the entire hermaphrodite thing wouldn't be needed. Its there only to have specfic thing to point to as to why this character acts less "girly" and more manly. It wouldn't need such a stupid and unneeded thing to develop the character.

Kind of hard not to since you have to read most of it.

She doesn't act like she does because she's a hermaphrodite. You wouldn't have even known she was one unless you'd read it on the internet as it only gets one or two mentions in the game, and I'm not sure it's directly referenced at all in the first playthrough. I don't think anyone should comment too much on her until they've played the game through twice.

Is reading now a negative in gaming?

schennmu said:
Are there new trophies? And wasn't there also a mention of a new quest? If not, I will probably skip it, too hooked on SSFIV right now.

There's no new achievements/trophies.

Is there any new material on the 3rd playthrough other than the ending? Can i safely skip through cutscnes?

Top Bottom