• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

major ending a spoiler
I never liked the twins (including their stupid names), so it felt awesome to kill them

Freyjadour said:
So, trying not to spoil anything, should I go for Ending B or C in my NG+? I'm one easy quest weapon away from 100%.

You can't achieve C without getting B first.

schennmu said:
major ending a spoiler
I never liked the twins (including their stupid names), so it felt awesome to kill them

You can't achieve C without getting B first.

Doh, so it's C or D on 2nd NG+? Where's the 100% requirement come into play exactly?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Schennmu said:
I don't remember where it appears exactly, but I wouldn't force it. Just walk whenever you need to get to Seafront and it will appear sooner or later.

The easy way to fight this shade is to exit out of Seafront and walk straight ahead, its just a little past the slope leading up to the Mansion, you can't miss it.

And on the subject of load times, I think its great that Nier on PS3 actually offers an optional not a mandatory install. Just shows that Cavia have really made an effort with this game.

I also belatedly noticed that if you check the map from Grimoire Weiss's menu options there's markers for quest targets. I only saw this at the start of new game+ and so had nothing "open" to confirm this, but the legend is there to the side.

All of which leads me to believe that a lot of people's quibbles with this game are a result of them not taking the time to check out the options properly. I mean, I know its a trivial implementation compared to FFXII/XIII but why has no review mentioned the way you can set your AI team-mates to specific behavioural modes on the fly?

Its so much better designed than people are giving it credit for, its a really classy piece of work albeit in a very traditional Japanese style.

This is the best game:

DSC01199x.jpg

Freyjadour said:
Doh, so it's C or D on 2nd NG+? Where's the 100% requirement come into play exactly?

Yep, after getting B you can decide if you want C or D. But it's easy to get both by just reloading your last save.

You need all the weapons though. Without having 100% of the weapons, the game will not give you other endings than A and B.

I just saw D. Now I'm only missing the speedrun for platinum.

Damn you GAF, reading threads always makes me want to buy games. I need to take a break before RDR, so this will have to wait after that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mjc said:
There's an ending that wipes your saves right? How can I avoid that ending?

Ending D. The very last ending. You'll know when you're close to getting it. (HINT: You have to beat the game 2 more times to get close)

Where does Ending B start? I know you go through Kaine's dream, but where does the game put you after that? After the 5 year gap?

Volcynika

FateBreaker said:
the wolves! :'( and the robot thing.

It's like the game is (more NG+ stuff)
making you feel like a huge (although ignorant from the character's perspective) asshole.

From the hate thread (destructoid):

"You'll notice Destructoid does not have a Nier review yet. This is because it's one of the most exhausting games ever made, straddling the line between acceptable and terrible at every moment. It's not a game you either love or hate, it's a game you either hate or forgive, and we're not sure if we're able to forgive a terrible fishing minigame, endless fetch quests, forced and repeated text adventure sections, and some of the worst backtracking we've seen this generation."

I honestly don't get some of the hate for this game. Are gamers today so out of touch with anything that is not AAA Blockbuster on first sight? Nier has something very oldschool about it, which some people possibly are not able to grasp and enjoy.

All I know is that I wouldn't have put so many hours into it without loving it, so don't tell me what to think, destructoid moron! :lol

mjc said:
There's an ending that wipes your saves right? How can I avoid that ending?

There's absolutely no way of getting it by accident (even though that would have been funny)

thetrin said:
Where does Ending B start? I know you go through Kaine's dream, but where does the game put you after that? After the 5 year gap?

Yep

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I assume (endgame spoilers)
Past Nier's motives, and how he came to be the leader of the Shades is explained in the subsequent endings. I guess I don't really understand who Nier really was before the intro.

thetrin

schennmu said:

"You'll notice Destructoid does not have a Nier review yet. This is because it's one of the most exhausting games ever made, straddling the line between acceptable and terrible at every moment. It's not a game you either love or hate, it's a game you either hate or forgive, and we're not sure if we're able to forgive a terrible fishing minigame, endless fetch quests, forced and repeated text adventure sections, and some of the worst backtracking we've seen this generation."

Honestly, how many WESTERN games with shitty budgets have you seen get revered by the gaming media? Gaming journalism is a fucking joke. If you want good game related writing, it's probably best to stick with NYT and WSJ.

Reading Gaming journalism is like reading Ain't It Cool for movie reviews. It's beyond dumb, and caters to an audience that is just as dumb.

thetrin said:
Honestly, how many WESTERN games with shitty budgets have you seen get revered by the gaming media? Gaming journalism is a fucking joke. If you want good game related writing, it's probably best to stick with NYT and WSJ.

Reading Gaming journalism is like reading Ain't It Cool for movie reviews. It's beyond dumb, and caters to an audience that is just as dumb.

Didn't you know the 18-35 demograhpic is the only one that exists? I found that out when I was a 14 year old gamer.

Edit: Wait, that wasn't your point at all. Fuck I might need to go to bed early since I'm running on like 3 hours of sleep :lol

schennmu said:

I honestly don't get some of the hate for this game. Are gamers today so out of touch with anything that is not AAA Blockbuster on first sight? Nier has something very oldschool about it, which some people possibly are not able to grasp and enjoy.

All I know is that I wouldn't have put so many hours into it without loving it, so don't tell me what to think, destructoid moron! :lol

There's absolutely no way of getting it by accident (even though that would have been funny)

Yep

And yet the "forced text" sections are some of the best writing around in Video Games. More complaining about a fishing game that is essentially NEVER required for anything other than Platinum. And "backtracking" over two fields that take 15 seconds on a boar, oh no! :)lol He hates tedious "fetch" quests and may never have unlocked the boar. Would be hilarious.)

Nier has completely trashed my opinion of gaming journalism. This is obnoxious.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It's easy to get angry, but the trouble with games like Nier is that they fall outside of the incredibly narrow scope most game criticism has forced itself into. There just isn't the level of critical discussion to reward it where it excels while also taking its flaws into account. So instead one cancels out the other, and since what it does right is so much harder to express, the focus goes on what it does wrong instead.

In a perfect world, it would be possible for a game to review positively as the best 6/7 you're ever likely to play, rather than anything below 8 being the kiss of death.

D2M15 said:
It's easy to get angry, but the trouble with games like Nier is that they fall outside of the incredibly narrow scope most game criticism has forced itself into. There just isn't the level of critical discussion to reward it where it excels while also taking its flaws into account. So instead one cancels out the other, and since what it does right is so much harder to express, the focus goes on what it does wrong instead.

In a perfect world, it would be possible for a game to review positively as the best 6/7 you're ever likely to play, rather than anything below 8 being the kiss of death.

This is actually a very good point. Well-said.

Volcynika

Welp, about to get ending B (last save point prior to the final stuff). Did all the fishing and have all the weapons gathered now, so I'm well on my way!

Vrakanox

Yeah the general consensus with everyone I know personally as well as the people on the forums seem to be that the game is awesome. It's just a few review sites that are bashing it. The ones that are seem to have a history of not being very credable as well >.>

Cep

Banned
Freyjadour said:
I like this more than Folklore by a longshot, and I rather enjoyed Folklore in points.

I am still spiting Nier-gaf (and have no money/huge backlog), but damn you make me want to break my sub-$30 rule.

I have to stop coming into this thread.

Oyashiro

Heh, the Zelda reference made me smile. Up to Forest of Myth now, text adventure section was kinda of meh. I liked the writing, but it didn't really make much sense. Hopefully it will be explained in some way soon.

Oyashiro said:
Heh, the Zelda reference made me smile. Up to Forest of Myth now, text adventure section was kinda of meh. I liked the writing, but it didn't really make much sense. Hopefully it will be explained in some way soon.

I got fed up and started skipping around about half way through. Nothing that's said in the text adventure has any baring on the actual plot.

Just got ending A. That was preeeeetty wild.

Started a new game plus. Should I be skipping cutscenes or will there be extra stuff spliced into everything like the beginning?

I'm like 90% on weapons at the moment. Question: In the final area where you are running from the boss on the circular stairs, are there any weapons in the crates that are in your way? Or is the Dragoon Lance the final "crate weapon" I should worry about.

Sacha

pancakesandsex said:

Started a new game plus. Should I be skipping cutscenes or will there be extra stuff spliced into everything like the beginning?

I'm like 90% on weapons at the moment. Question: In the final area where you are running from the boss on the circular stairs, are there any weapons in the crates that are in your way? Or is the Dragoon Lance the final "crate weapon" I should worry about.

There is no weapon in the stairs, the only weapons to be found in the final area are the Phoenix Sword and the Dragoon Lance.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I've only seen as far as the start of New Game+, but it seems to me that the text adventure, and text-narrative parts of the game aren't at all random "gimmicks" in the design, but intrinsic to the themes of the story.

I mean, books are a core element of the story. We have the antagonists Weiss and Noir, the library is the core hub from where most major story-advancing quests get vended, sources of magic power are sacred verses, the shades drop a variety of written of written materials, the backstory-filling documents that lay out projects Snow White and later Gestalt...

Then you start to think of what text represents in this technologically stunted dystopia we find ourselves, and how the genre of the entire piece is in fact more SF than trad fantasy despite initial impressions. Words, text, data, memory, dreams... there's some deep metaphysical shit here.

Honestly, if this game had come from a Western developer with a clear "artistic" or "indie-game" pedigree I'm pretty sure that critics would be gushing over this like they did Pathologic.

I blame SE to some extent because they have, truth be told, promoted Nier in the most trashy way possible. Kaine's physical "difference" for example has gotten pushed front and centre when as far as I saw its only ever hinted at in the game. Its only ever really addressed as a character point in her backstory text at the start of new game+

Strictly speaking its really only relevant to the themes of alienation and the question "who are the real monsters here" which is another major thematic pillar of the game. Emil's whole story arc cover's similar ground insofar as he's clearly intended to be the most kind and sympathetic character in the game despite his eventual appearance and powers. The set-piece at the Aerie in part 2 deals with this duality absolutely magnificently.

That scene and his final sacrifice are two of the most heartbreaking moments in videogame history in my opinion.

Bottom line for me is that had this game been made by Peter Molyneux, the critics would be genuflecting before it, faults and all. Unfortunately its Japanese in outlook to its very core, and this type of fiction is very much "out of fashion" with much of the review press.

Volcynika

pancakesandsex said:

Some cutscenes have some new dialogue spliced in, and there's new dialogue during boss battles. Sogood.gif

Volcynika said:
Some cutscenes have some new dialogue spliced in, and there's new dialogue during boss battles. Sogood.gif

Man I haven't had a game grab me quite like this in a while. This is really something special.

Volcynika

pancakesandsex said:
Man I haven't had a game grab me quite like this in a while. This is really something special.

I'm trying to remember how many cutscenes have new stuff (about at ending B now). It seems a ton more stuff is spliced in the reactionary dialogue while exploring the next story area. And (just a reference)
you see a lot of the shades dialogue in story stuff

Clear said:
Bottom line for me is that had this game been made by Peter Molyneux, the critics would be genuflecting before it, faults and all. Unfortunately its Japanese in outlook to its very core, and this type of fiction is very much "out of fashion" with much of the review press.

I love this game as much as you do, but come on, this game has faults, and Fable II did not have as many. Fable II tried many different things, and Nier is really just paying homage to many old things. Fable II really excelled in certain gameplay areas, and Nier doesn't. Nier also looks like shit.

Nier is a great game and deserves better scores, but if this game had Molyneux's name stamped on the box then his reputation would go down.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fatebreaker said:
Nier is a great game and deserves better scores, but if this game had Molyneux's name stamped on the box then his reputation would go down.

It really depends who you ask about Nier's merits. For example, Seth Schiesel's review for the NYT is absolutely glowing, any designer/creative would be more than delighted with a rave like that.

Its an unusual game in that the scores across the board are very mixed, and even within those which are broadly negative (like say Kevin VanOrd's 5/10 for Gamespot) there's often aspects that are singled out for high praise - and these aren't the common "nice graphics, shame about the gameplay" comments either.

My point is that with a name like Peter's attached, its experimentalism and ambition would be celebrated as a brave failure, whereas the SE branding seems to have the opposite effect in that people going in expecting Square's traditional slickness of presentation and sky-high production values are overstating its deficiencies.

Mixed reviews aren't necessarily a bad thing. There's a good counter-argument to say that anything this divisive MUST be doing something right in the way that its polarizing opinion. People are reacting to it.

And I have to say, who the hell persists with doing side-quests that they find boring when there's a clearly marked alternative to advance the story? Frankly, a lot of the heavy criticism seems plain obtuse to me. The fishing mini-game for example, seriously, that red X is always there!

Volcynika

Got all the endings. Last one was kinda
sad to watch, since it just was wiping everything out that was about you

My favorite side quests so far have been "A Fisherman's Gambit" "The Despicable Man" and the lighthouse lady quest lines. "The Despicable Man" was especially entertaining. I love how relentlessly bleak the game can be.

matmanx1

I'm having a blast but reading this thread makes me feel like I'm trudging along. I'm 21 hours in now and only just
visited the Lost Shrine for the 2nd time. And now it's back to the Junk Heap
. I'm not going for full quest completion but I am doing as many of the easy ones as I possibly can. Up to about 50% completion and I have 22 or 23 weapons at this point as well.

The thing is, I'm actually enjoying running around in the game world and I like the characters and I find the gameplay to be pretty fun. So for me doing a bunch of side quests and revisiting areas is not a bad thing at all. I'm not on any sort of schedule to finish the game and I still have the two weapons in Facade to purchase and at least a couple more quest weapons to get as well. And I look forward to all of it.

Bottom line is I haven't enjoyed an ARPG this much since Demon's Souls and that's the truth. They are completely different games and I don't mean to say that they are equal, however, Nier has "hooked" me and gotten into my bloodstream something fierce.

Oyashiro

So is it just me, or does it feel like this Emil kid came out of nowhere? After that mansion quest, it seems like the developers randomly decided to make him your new best friend or something. I like him, but they way they're including him in the story just seems kinda weird and out of place.

So Edge seriously thinks Lost Planet 2 deserves the same score as Nier. I'm calling shenanigans!

6 from Edge is pretty good I guess

Oyashiro, that's a pretty bad spoiler tag. You might want to improve that.

schennmu said:
So Edge seriously thinks Lost Planet 2 deserves the same score as Nier. I'm calling shenanigans!

6 from Edge is pretty good I guess

Oyashiro, that's a pretty bad spoiler tag. You might want to improve that.

Yeah no shit. Good job bro. I totally wanted to know that ahead of time.

Oyashiro

Sorry guys, I didn't know I had to label spoilers...? I thought spoilers meant, you know... spoilers. As in, "this could potentially spoil something big for you, so highlight at your own peril". I'll just edit out that entire post if it's a big deal.

By the way, what happens if (again, pretty huge spoiler)
you don't turn Kaine to stone?
Do you just get a game over or something?

Volcynika

Oyashiro said:
Sorry guys, I didn't know I had to label spoilers...? I thought spoilers meant, you know... spoilers. As in, "this could potentially spoil something big for you, so highlight at your own peril". I'll just edit out that entire post if it's a big deal.

By the way, what happens if (again, pretty huge spoiler)
you don't turn Kaine to stone?
Do you just get a game over or something?

It just
tells you there's no other choice, brings the choice back up again

ScHlAuChi

MattKeil said:
PS3 is slightly sharper visually, although because of this it also has more noticeable jaggies and occasional low res textures. They're still present in the 360 version but are sort of covered up by the softer focus. The 360 version loads substantially faster. An uninstalled PS3 copy takes about 17-23 seconds to load an area. Installed is more like 5-7. 360 is 3-5 uninstalled. Otherwise they seem functionally identical.

I've ended up settling on the 360 version, because the load times were driving me up the wall.

Ah thanks for the info, guess i go with the PS3 version as i prefer sharpness!

thetrin

cosmicblizzard said:
I got fed up and started skipping around about half way through. Nothing that's said in the text adventure has any baring on the actual plot.

You are SO missing out. The text adventure is well written, and the stories are well told. Seriously. You are missing out.

I really hope you didn't get fed up because it's reading. I enjoyed the reading sections greatly (I didn't really like having to read all of it again after getting questions wrong, but it's quick to get through a second time).

It makes me sad that "having to read" is now a minus in regards to anything. :(

Volcynika

thetrin said:
You are SO missing out. The text adventure is well written, and the stories are well told. Seriously. You are missing out.

I really hope you didn't get fed up because it's reading. I enjoyed the reading sections greatly (I didn't really like having to read all of it again after getting questions wrong, but it's quick to get through a second time).

It makes me sad that "having to read" is now a minus in regards to anything. :(

This is an RPG, who needs reading!

Top Bottom