• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry about that, I'll amend the post.

Normally I would have hidden it behind tags but it started as a general point about what makes Nier and Drakengard so interesting as stories, particularly JRPG stories. At the time I figured it was non-specific enough, but looking at it objectively it was a bad call on my part.

I sincerely hope it doesn't ruin your enjoyment.

Gravijah

Just got finished with the uhm..
Barren Temple I think it's called. Heading to the Forest of Myth... Getting sick of the sidequests. :lol But uh, to what I was gonna ask... What is the purpose of Raw Materials? I haven't found any use yet...

Gravijah

Prime crotch said:
Materials will be the bane of your existence if you try for platinum; they're just to upgrade weapons

Don't give a shit about platinum, I'm definitely not a trophy whore. Just looking to beat the game, since I rented it.

Gravijah

Ugh, so I'm about to head towards the
Haunted Mansion, which I guess is a point of no return, meaning I can't do the earlier side quests anymore. I really don't feel like doing the 20+ I still have to do. Is there a reason to do them all other than money?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you aren't enjoying the side-quests, don't do them. Yes they are useful for getting certain trophies but you can safely ignore them and go on to see all 4 endings.

What you've seen so far is basically just setting up the world, the story doesn't really begin to get in gear until after the mansion.

So I just finally finished with ending A
wanted to get the moonflower trophy before beating it the first time

I know I have to collect all the weapons to trigger endings C and D, but if I get all the weapons on my second playthrough (I already have 97%) will I still get to see ending B?

Coldsnap

hrm, how is the dlc?

Also is there a really well written review for this game? I sorta want to read a bit more about it before I purchase.

btw what is your avatar?

1stStrike

Banned
Nice to see a newbie loving NIER as well as some vets. It's such a great game. Wait till you get further in... there's some really epic moments in this game. Namely, the end of the first part of the game. I was waiting for that to happen the whole time and the way they pulled it off was awesome. :eek:

Oh No fishing!!!! I can't fish for crap in this game...well any video game but this one is killing me.

Edit:Well I did it right after this post.

I rented Nier from Gamefly. So far, I'm liking the game, not loving it. At times, I feel like the game can drag, but at other times, the game simply blows me away (especially the end of the first ark). The music is, as expected, fantastic. I'll probably finish the game on Ending A, though I'm not sure if I'll have enough motivation to finish Nier on Ending B, C or/and D once Metroid: Other M comes out.

Aru

I hate fishing in this game (like in most games and real life, it's boring) :/

I don't know if I'll try to get all the endings, depends on what requirements are necessary for viewing them.

Gravijah

Speaking of endings, at what point (PLEASE POST AS LITTLE SPOILERS AS POSSIBLE) should I be worrying about doing stuff for them?

1stStrike

Banned
The DLC is actually incredibly difficult/fun after the first one. Some really fast paced, crazy moments where you're just like "omfg!"

I still haven't beaten the 3rd room :(

Gravijah said:
Speaking of endings, at what point (PLEASE POST AS LITTLE SPOILERS AS POSSIBLE) should I be worrying about doing stuff for them?

Relax. You can't control what ending you get until at least your third playthrough. There are four possible endings, and at the end of your third playthrough you will be given a CHOICE. The first option gives you ending C. The second option gets you ending D, but beware as ending D also erases all your saved game files so it should be the last ending you go for. So, if you want to get all endings, just:

Beat the game once: Ending A

Load your saved file, beat game again: Ending B

Load your saved file, collect all weapons, beat game again with first choice: Ending C

Load your saved file, beat game again with second choice: Ending D

Rufus

I must have been terribly overpowered when I played it, but it seemed quite easy to me. Besides the material farming that you can do it was worthless all around, too. The weapons you get are kinda cool, I guess...

Aru

DigitalDevil said:
Relax. You can't control what ending you get until at least your third playthrough. There are four possible endings, and at the end of your third playthrough you will be given a CHOICE. The first option gives you ending C. The second option gets you ending D, but beware as ending D also erases all your saved game files so it should be the last ending you go for. So, if you want to get all endings, just:

Beat the game once: Ending A

Load your saved file, beat game again: Ending B

Load your saved file, collect all weapons, beat game again with first choice: Ending C

Load your saved file, beat game again with second choice: Ending D

Thanks for this.
When you say beat game again, does it mean from the start ?
I don't think I want to start this game over 4 times, even if it's a new game+ each time.

I'll stick with Ending A unless it's very terrible.

1stStrike

Banned
Aru said:
Thanks for this.
When you say beat game again, does it mean from the start ?
I don't think I want to start this game over 4 times, even if it's a new game+ each time.

I'll stick with Ending A unless it's very terrible.

You start from the second half of the game with everything you had at the end of the first game, and you can skip all the quests. So, you can beat it again in 4 - 6 hours if you just skim through it. However, the story shows the other side of things so be sure to watch the cut scenes.

Aru

1stStrike said:
You start from the second half of the game with everything you had at the end of the first game, and you can skip all the quests. So, you can beat it again in 4 - 6 hours if you just skim through it. However, the story shows the other side of things so be sure to watch the cut scenes.

Okay, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll watch'em all then !
Do I have to collect all the weapons for Ending C ?

it bears mentioning that ending d will erase your save file at its conclusion. that game prompts you several (like 4) times to ensure you aware of this.

to circumvent this problem you'll have to copy your Nier save file post ending C (but before ending D) to a memory card or a flash drive. load the hard disk save file, select/watch ending D, and then copy your mem card/flash drive save file back onto your hard drive.

Rufus

Aru said:
Okay, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll watch'em all then !
Do I have to collect all the weapons for Ending C ?
Play it at least once, the NG+ will give you a new perspective on everything that's happened during your first play-through.

V_Arnold

I have to say something.

The "odd looking ball-headed monster looks up" gif have come up many, many times in any Nier-related threads. People used it often as a way to express how idiotic or bad this games is, not to mention any other purpose to it. Actually encountering that scene in the game itself made me realize how ignorant, how dumb, how uninformed the majority of gamers are, just when it comes to games you would need to work a little to appreciate.

Any player who ever joked on that gif should play this game, should get to that scene, and feel very, very bad. Really, really bad.

*opens a can of beer*

V_Arnold said:
I have to say something.

The "odd looking ball-headed monster looks up" gif have come up many, many times in any Nier-related threads. People used it often as a way to express how idiotic or bad this games is, not to mention any other purpose to it. Actually encountering that scene in the game itself made me realize how ignorant, how dumb, how uninformed the majority of gamers are, just when it comes to games you would need to work a little to appreciate.

Any player who ever joked on that gif should play this game, should get to that scene, and feel very, very bad. Really, really bad.

*opens a can of beer*

*internet high five*

squall211

I had no interest in this game at release but hearing all the positive feedback here on GAF makes me want to pick it up. If it ever drops to around $30 for the PS3 version I might give it a try.

Gravijah

squall211 said:
I had no interest in this game at release but hearing all the positive feedback here on GAF makes me want to pick it up. If it ever drops to around $30 for the PS3 version I might give it a try.

Do that or rent it!

manzo

Finished endings C and D yesterday evening.

What a ride. Nier and Last Remnant are the best jRPGs this I've finished this gen. Okabe's compositions were beautiful (one of the best OSTs I've ever heard in a videogame), but a few more songs would've been nice. Some of the songs literally played themselves to death during the 2 replays. :/

The ending D really felt epic when
the game deleted everything you had accomplished one-by-one

960/1000, didn't feel like doing the
15 + 30 weapon upgrades and finishing the game in less than 15 hours

Nier is my GOTY.

Gravijah

DigitalDevil said:
yes, you cannot get endings C or D without collecting all the weapons.

Shit. Is it annoying to collect all the weapons? Hope I didn't miss anything in the first half of the game...

Diebuster

Gravijah said:
Shit. Is it annoying to collect all the weapons? Hope I didn't miss anything in the first half of the game...

Every weapon is attainable in NG+, so no need to worry. It's just a matter of visiting every store, and buying every weapon. Don't forget to visit the shop in
The Aerie

Gravijah

Diebuster said:
Every weapon is attainable in NG+, so no need to worry. It's just a matter of visiting every store, and buying every weapon. Don't forget to visit the shop in
The Aerie

Thanks. Just beat
Ending B... This game is going to leave me an emotional wreck. I know it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Augemitbutter said:
it's part of the story.

Neat. Sounds kind of Steel Battalion-ey.

Edit: Oh boo. Decided to watch it on youtube and I'm kind of disappointed that they warn you with a prompt that basically takes you out of the game... and 4 times isn't enough, they also make you type in your name. :lol

I guess it would have pissed too many people off if your saves were deleted without warning, but this kind of ruins the effect the ending might have had.

Top Bottom