• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

firehawk12 said:
Neat. Sounds kind of Steel Battalion-ey.

Edit: Oh boo. Decided to watch it on youtube and I'm kind of disappointed that they warn you with a prompt that basically takes you out of the game... and 4 times isn't enough, they also make you type in your name. :lol

I guess it would have pissed too many people off if your saves were deleted without warning, but this kind of ruins the effect the ending might have had.

1st party certification would never allow them to do that

firehawk12

Subete no aware
schennmu said:
1st party certification would never allow them to do that

Probably not, but unless they were going for an Eternal Darkness/Metal Gear Solid thing, having a giant box pop up is rather unfortunate. They just made the best of a bad situation I guess.

(Of course, it's all academic because you can just copy your save files off your hard drive anyway...)

Gravijah

Beat the final ending just a minute ago... Didn't bother
backing up my save files. It was better this way.

Got maybe 60-70% of the trophies.

Amazing game.

Edit:
OK, now it's getting to me. I think I'm gonna cry. :(

Gravijah

1stStrike said:
I need to get my ass in gear and get ending B one of these days.

I couldn't imagine playing the game without having done the ending B playthrough. It only takes 5-6 hours, but it adds so much.

Nemesis_

Gravijah said:
I couldn't imagine playing the game without having done the ending B playthrough. It only takes 5-6 hours, but it adds so much.

So true. I even felt really really
....bad
once I finished my B playthrough.

1stStrike

Banned
Gravijah said:

Yeah, I know. I'm just in one of my "meh" stages where I barely play any games. It doesn't help that I'm working 60+ hours a week either. One of these days I'll sit down and go through it all in one day.

Gravijah

1stStrike said:
Yeah, I know. I'm just in one of my "meh" stages where I barely play any games. It doesn't help that I'm working 60+ hours a week either. One of these days I'll sit down and go through it all in one day.

Ah well once you get some time...

DO THAT SHIT, MAN!

1stStrike

Banned
Brannon said:
Just got in from Gamefly and from the moment I put this disk in.. Holy CRAP.

This game's going to be interesting.

Hahaha, yeah, I had the same reaction. Before I even got to the title screen I was just like "Man, I fucking love this game already" :lol

I'm probably going to see about finishing it off today or tomorrow so I can get ending B. I honestly will probably just youtube endings C and D because I don't think I can put that much effort into getting them.

1stStrike said:
Hahaha, yeah, I had the same reaction. Before I even got to the title screen I was just like "Man, I fucking love this game already" :lol

I'm probably going to see about finishing it off today or tomorrow so I can get ending B. I honestly will probably just youtube endings C and D because I don't think I can put that much effort into getting them.

you'll have to youtube the modified + additional cutscenes too then.

Gravijah

Augemitbutter said:
not sure if near the end + ending only or if some were before too, it's been a while.

I'm prettttttttttty sure in Ending C+D only the very end is different, I could be wrong.

Aru

So many people like the soundtrack...

As I already said, it's not that I hate it but...
The non-vocal tracks are very good, not exceptional, but the vocal ones are often misused. Looping on the same part of the track each time, it gets annoying quickly. That's too bad, because I'm sure I'd enjoy the OST more if I listened to it while I'm not playing the game.

Good soundtrack overall, but I definitely prefer FFXIII's.

Brannon

I actually like the grindish quests in this game, so I finally made it to the end of the first major plot and a bit beyond and yep, this game definitely has Drakengard lineage in it.

Though this game doesn't hate children QUITE as much as Drakengard, though.

I finished the game yesterday (first ending) and I was pleasantly surprised by its quality and well executed uniqueness. It took a good eight hours until the game clicked for me, though, and I was almost willing to say people made a lot of fuss about nothing when they were proclaiming how good the story and presentation were supposed to be, but I'm glad I stuck with Nier and eventually 'got it'.
The gameplay itself would never really shine and the subquests were mostly boring and didn't add much, but the mainstory, the amazing soundtrack, interesting bossfights and a localization that is probably as good as it gets (I wish everything was voiced, though) make Nier an exceptional and underappreciated gem. And that is saying something for me, because a good presentation alone is usually not enough for me to stick with a game.

I wish SE handled the marketing for this game better and didn't pretend the game was something else. It almost felt like they were trying to sell this game as the next DMC or Bayonetta when Nier doesn't want and never could compete with these kind of games. Wada aparrently was well aware that Nier would pretty much end up as niche culthit, though, so I'm not even sure what they were trying to do with this game.

Anyway, Nier is awesome, and I can't wait to see what the following playthroughs have to offer.

Well, that was weird. That could've worked for one enemy, but at some point it felt like they didn't really know what to do with much of the enemies and just made them shoot lots and lots of magic bullets. :lol I didn't like that very much.

Just finished that second playthrough! I like the new perspective you get and
the fact that Emil is still alive YAY! :)
It's a shame I actually have to play the game to see these new cutscenes, though. The gameplay certainly doesn't get better the second time around and I already loath my third playthrough. :lol

Yoshiya

I've been hoping for another Nier CD (remix and arranged tracks), and noticed that tracks from the game are included on this year's TGS sampler CD, with an unclear use of the word 'arrange' under Google translate.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/tgs10/titles/music/

Also, from the Square Enix music twitter...

http://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/23145453747
http://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/23239553371

I can't tell if these are significant or not using terrible automatic translation. Hoping someone with knowledge of Japanese would have a look. Another Nier CD is the sequel I'm really hoping for :lol

Edit: I'm sure this is just wishful thinking on my part, but there's always a chance I'm wrong.

Yoshiya said:
I've been hoping for another Nier CD (remix and arranged tracks), and noticed that tracks from the game are included on this year's TGS sampler CD, with an unclear use of the word 'arrange' under Google translate.

Nier arrange CD has already been announced for a while. i don't think somebody has posted it in this thread yet though.

Yoshiya

Augemitbutter said:
Nier arrange CD has already been announced for a while. i don't think somebody has posted it in this thread yet though.

Huh. I've kept an eye out for news, but never saw anything. I guess it's just too obscure to be reported in any English press. Any links to details? When is it out?

MechaX

Just picked this up from GameStop for $30. I was originally planning on getting Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, but they didn't have it. So I picked up this other Cavia wonder instead of giving Dead Rising another chance (long story on that one) simply because of how many people were gushing over his game. I did play Drakengard back in the day and it was definitely a game that I liked to play even though it was pretty terrible. Drakengard 2 was just lame.

... Even though GAF let me down hard when it came to Odin Sphere, you guys better be fucking right about this one.

And now I've seen everything Nier has to offer. Ending C and D were not really worth the effort, but I'm still glad I played it to completion. Amazing game.

Gravijah

slaughterking said:
And now I've seen everything Nier has to offer. Ending C and D were not really worth the effort, but I'm still glad I played it to completion. Amazing game.

Did you
backup your saves?

Gravijah

slaughterking said:
No,
I really liked the idea of drawing a definite line under this experience and conclude it in this manner.

Yeah, me too. It's what made the final ending worth it, to me.

Brannon said:
I actually like the grindish quests in this game, so I finally made it to the end of the first major plot and a bit beyond and yep, this game definitely has Drakengard lineage in it.

Though this game doesn't hate children QUITE as much as Drakengard, though.

Ooooooh yes it does.

Gravijah

slaughterking said:
That's true. It's just that I was very fed up with the second half of the game after playing it for the third time in a basically two days.

My final run was very quick :lol Wanted to get it done, played way too much Nier.

Yeah, but I needed three more weapons so I didn't go as fast as I was hoping. :I
I was very angry while doing that treasure hunt quest to get the last weapon. That shit just went on and on and on. :lol

MechaX

Made it 3.5 hours into the game before giving it a rest. Just got past the fishing part that drove that joystiq guy into such a rage a few months ago within 2 minutes. Huh. But yeah, so far this game is... ... hm... I don't know, actually.

It's definitely not nearly as bad as most of the reviews let on. With that said, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because I'm not really finding it the immaculate experience that most in this topic would say it is. While the game probably hasn't picked up yet at all, it's just boring at the moment (all I'm doing is traipsing between sections doing quests to move the story along, but I just got word that I would have to head back to a town where I fought a big-ass-demon, so that gives some hope). And the combat is... eh. Magic is alright but this game could have benefited from better sword-play by a considerable amount.

I'll probably give it three or so more hours for things to pick up before I just decide to move on to something else (and return to it when it's cheaper).

The_Dude

Can someone give me some help?
The last quest I need is The Magical Stone, where I have to get a stone from the roof of the Lost Shrine. After not finding anything, I relented and looked at a guide which said there was a giant shade up there but it was nowhere to be seen. I have all five pieces of the key, which I thought could be causing a problem. I went back to a save where I had four pieces, but now the quest giver isn't there. Am I doing something wrong here?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
@MechaX

Nier takes a bit of time to get into gear, but if you want to accelerate stuff up just go to the point on the map where the red X indicates - that will always point you to the next event that progresses the story properly.

The main thing is to remember that Nier is a JRPG, and so it takes a while at the start to introduce al the game systems and options available to you. If you're getting impatient, do what I suggest above, but please don't come to any conclusions until you have gotten all the verses (magic) - this happens well before the halfway point in the story so its not a FFXIII-type epic slog before it opens up.

@The_Dude

If I recall right, I finished that quest without realizing it. I think its because when you're on the roof and have the quest active the only "tell" you get is when a small group of extra shades spawn in one of the dead-ends. Explore the roof area thoroughly killing any enemies you encounter and I'm sure you'll find it.

The_Dude

Clear said:
@The_Dude

If I recall right, I finished that quest without realizing it. I think its because when you're on the roof and have the quest active the only "tell" you get is when a small group of extra shades spawn in one of the dead-ends. Explore the roof area thoroughly killing any enemies you encounter and I'm sure you'll find it.
Thanks for that, I did finally manage to find it. The guide made me think it would be out in the open, but it was a little off the beaten path. Anyway, got ending A, so now I need a break before getting back to the others!

Top Bottom