• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

manzo

The_Dude said:
Can someone give me some help?
The last quest I need is The Magical Stone, where I have to get a stone from the roof of the Lost Shrine. After not finding anything, I relented and looked at a guide which said there was a giant shade up there but it was nowhere to be seen. I have all five pieces of the key, which I thought could be causing a problem. I went back to a save where I had four pieces, but now the quest giver isn't there. Am I doing something wrong here?

When you get to the roof (just after the small platforming part in 2.5D mode), go to your right; you'll see a blue box. Push it a bit forward, you'll get to the upper-right part of the roof (northeast when looking at the map). There is a big shade - kill it and you'll get the stone.

edit:
The_Dude said:
Thanks for that, I did finally manage to find it. The guide made me think it would be out in the open, but it was a little off the beaten path. Anyway, got ending A, so now I need a break before getting back to the others!

Same minute. :lol

Gravijah

MechaX said:
Made it 3.5 hours into the game before giving it a rest. Just got past the fishing part that drove that joystiq guy into such a rage a few months ago within 2 minutes. Huh. But yeah, so far this game is... ... hm... I don't know, actually.

It's definitely not nearly as bad as most of the reviews let on. With that said, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me here, because I'm not really finding it the immaculate experience that most in this topic would say it is. While the game probably hasn't picked up yet at all, it's just boring at the moment (all I'm doing is traipsing between sections doing quests to move the story along, but I just got word that I would have to head back to a town where I fought a big-ass-demon, so that gives some hope). And the combat is... eh. Magic is alright but this game could have benefited from better sword-play by a considerable amount.

I'll probably give it three or so more hours for things to pick up before I just decide to move on to something else (and return to it when it's cheaper).

Give it a bit. The game isn't terribly long (first playthrough is about 20~ hours) and it should definitely start picking up soon.

The_Dude

manzo said:
When you get to the roof (just after the small platforming part in 2.5D mode), go to your right; you'll see a blue box. Push it a bit forward, you'll get to the upper-right part of the roof (northeast when looking at the map). There is a big shade - kill it and you'll get the stone.

edit:

Same minute. :lol
:D Thanks anyway!

MechaX

... Yeah. I'll admit that I should probably eat crow on this one.

I'm like 9 or so hours into the game and just got to the game's Part 2. Surprisingly, the game started picking up a little bit after I made my last post. So far, I'm actually having fun with this one. Sure, I'll admit that the actual gameplay is mediocre as hell, but it seems like everything still... kinda works. I get the impression that Cavia actually tried to make a good game this time around (even though their attempt really didn't work, but it's better than the masochistic torture devices known as Drakengard 1, 2, Resident Evil Dead Aim, and Bullet Witch). The story's cool, I like the characters, and the script is actually pretty well written (which is a far cry above every other console JRPG released this generation).

Plus, the best part about Part 2: I can now go around pretending I'm Gutts from Berserk. I couldn't even do that in Drakengard until like the last 5% of the entire game, on the second to last ending scenario.

Shinriji

I started to play the game yesterday and WTF at the opening narration in the intro movie. Awesome. The game looks like another crude game with an interesting story (just like Drakengard).

So, I see that there is a DLC already. Anyone knows if a DLC bought in the US store works on the euro game?

1stStrike

Banned
Snaku said:
You both make pretty convincing cases.

Bought.

Woot. As was said before,

1. Get ready for the voice over before you even get to the game start screen. That's when I immediately knew I'd love the game.

2. It takes a couple hours to set things up, so after the first part just let the story set in. Once it does it's a pretty great ride all the way through - then replay it (starts from the 2nd half on NG+) and watch all the cut scenes as they're all different and tell the story from the other POV.

Gravijah

1stStrike said:
Woot. As was said before,

1. Get ready for the voice over before you even get to the game start screen. That's when I immediately knew I'd love the game.

I uh hate that voice over. I made sure to hammer on the X button.

Yoshiya said:
YES! http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SQEX-10212

Arrange CD formally announced. December 8th, 2100 yen, includes the excellent DLC remixes as well as some original arrangements. No tracks lists/album art yet, and it doesn't seem to be up for order from anywhere but Square's own store.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

1stStrike

Banned
lol matter of opinion I guess. It amused the hell out of me. But, yeah, I didn't listen to it every time I started the game. It was just the first couple of times I was like "haha this rocks" but then I skipped it after that.

Just picked up Nier PS3. Totally on a whim. In the mood for an action RPG. I know some people love it and some hate it. Hopefully I'll be in the former category.

Any good tips for a first timer?

Volcynika

Whoompthereitis said:
Just picked up Nier PS3. Totally on a whim. In the mood for an action RPG. I know some people love it and some hate it. Hopefully I'll be in the former category.

When you get to fish, go to the red X!

:p

The game is not too difficult, really, so you shouldn't have much trouble.

Whoompthereitis said:

It's a pretty easy game. Most bosses can be killed just by shooting them with red orbs and dodging lot.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I dont know anything about this game but it has lots of funny presence data texts in PS3.

lolez2matt said:
Yeah....

Someone I have on my list was playing it and It was a like a facebook status :lol

Another reason why this game is legendary. Actually a PSN friend sent me a confused message and I did not know what the fuck he was talking about :lol

Played for about half an hour. Game is weird, which I like. I'm also surprised at how quickly the main character moves. Pretty speedy for an RPG.

Still way early, but so far I'm not regretting my purchase.

Whoompthereitis said:
Played for about half an hour. Game is weird, which I like. I'm also surprised at how quickly the main character moves. Pretty speedy for an RPG.

Still way early, but so far I'm not regretting my purchase.
The game takes a bit to pick up, but the second half of the game is just a rollercoaster ride of awesome.

ZephyrFate said:
The game takes a bit to pick up, but the second half of the game is just a rollercoaster ride of awesome.

Cool. I myself am a rollercoaster ride of awesome, so me and this game should get along just fine.

FoeHammer

This is one of those games that will always stick with me. It's funny because up until its release I was sure it would be a flaming turd.

Definitely one of the best of this generation so far. I don't call games beautiful very often, but I don't know any other way to describe Nier.

schennmu said:
Another reason why this game is legendary. Actually a PSN friend sent me a confused message and I did not know what the fuck he was talking about :lol
I kept getting messages like 'dude, WTF is your status? :lol :lol ' I was sooo confused lol

I finally picked up the game so I could finally see ending B.

Okay, the Junk Heap was sad enough...but the extra scene with the shade and its mother...this game sure knows how to make you feel like shit.

Gravijah said:
Damn, I missed out on the status messages. Wonder what they said.
Friend of mine told me that at one point while I was playing it my playing status said something along the lines of: "IS CURRENTLY
INSIDE OF THE
!" where
is actually part of the message.

Yoshiya

61-8XU9QjfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Official site is up. Has a sample of the new Kaine's theme arrangement :D

Synless

This game is so good. I got it from a Gaffer late last month. I am really enjoying it so far. I just got to part 2.

Gravijah

Aru said:
Aren't there new cutscenes during the playthrough ?

Not on the final playthrough I'm pretty sure. I don't remember any. Just skip through everything, save at the final spot, then get both endings.

hamchan

Wow at that Gretel fight in playthrough B ;_;

Just reached the junk yard and saw the cutscene. They're really trying to make me feel sad this playthrough.

Top Bottom