• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

RpgN

I'm about to end the game for the first time and have a couple of questions:

1. When you unlock new game+, is everything brought over? Like words, weapon(s) (levels), items, money etc?

2. I have completed 98% of the quests, only there is one called 'life in the sands' that I can't figure out how to complete for the life me. I read a faq but it didn't work, could someone please explain how it works?

Diebuster

RpgN said:
2. I have completed 98% of the quests, only there is one called 'life in the sands' that I can't figure out how to complete for the life me. I read a faq but it didn't work, could someone please explain how it works?

Just keep trying, farming doesn't always give you what you want, but eventually you'll get the pink seeds. Once you have at least 1, plant it with the bounty fertilizer to speed things along.

RpgN

EDIT
^
Okay, I'll give it some more tries then. Just to make sure, it doesn't work if you try to load the same save?

Thanks guys :D

Now about question 2, if anyone knows...

I remember some members said they got 100% on quests here. It would be awesome if you could share your secrets!

Diebuster

RpgN said:
EDIT
^
Okay, I'll give it some more tries then. Just to make sure, it doesn't work if you try to load the same save?

Yeah, it won't work with the same save. If it fails you have to start from scratch unfortunately.

RpgN

Diebuster said:
Yeah, it won't work with the same save. If it fails you have to start from scratch unfortunately.

My problem with that faq is, that around part 2, not one of my flowers live, they all die while that faq mentioned that some don't die. Is that normal to happen as well? And I'm following the instructions closely and don't think I waited for too long :(

Diebuster

RpgN said:
My problem with that faq is, that around part 2, not one of my flowers live, they all die while that faq mentioned that some don't die. Is that normal to happen as well?

Really? I've never had a flower die on me. Are you watering them after 4 hours? This is what I did:

Gold-Gold-Gold
Blue-Blue-Blue
Gold-Gold-Gold
Blue-Blue-Blue
Gold-Gold-Gold

Skip 4 hours --> water plants
Skip 48 hours --> harvest indigo seeds

Red-Red-Red
Indi-Indi-Indi
Red-Red-Red
Indi-Indi-Indi
Red-Red-Red

Skip 48 hours --> harvest pink seeds

When you go to harvest the plants all look dead, but remember you're trying to get seeds, not flowers.

RpgN

Diebuster said:
Really? I've never had a flower die on me. Are you watering them after 4 hours? This is what I did:

Gold-Gold-Gold
Blue-Blue-Blue
Gold-Gold-Gold
Blue-Blue-Blue
Gold-Gold-Gold

Skip 48 hours --> harvest indigo seeds

Red-Red-Red
Indi-Indi-Indi
Red-Red-Red
Indi-Indi-Indi
Red-Red-Red

Skip 48 hours --> harvest pink seeds

When you go to harvest the plants all look dead, but remember you're trying to get seeds, not flowers.

0_0

The way you did it sounds different from this faq I read on gamespot:

Plant 15 blue moonflower seeds. When they flower, harvest them. (18 hours). Now, plant 15 gold moonflowers. Wait a bit (36 hours). Now, you should see a bunch of dead plants, and a few that are still flowering. Harvest the dead plants, but leave the flowers alone for now. The standing flowers are hybrids. You'll need to wait for them to die (18 hours) and can then harvest them for seeds. You should have enough pink moonflower seeds now. If not, repeat the entire process over again.

Is his method right as well?

I'm going to try your method, sounds like less bullshit and more clear.

Diebuster

RpgN said:
0_0

The way you did it sounds different from this faq I read on gamespot:

Is his method right as well?

I'm going to try your method, sounds like less bullshit and more clear.

His method doesn't sound right. Blue+Gold should give you Indigo, not pink, and it doesn't sound like he ever crosses them so he shouldn't even get Indigo. The method I used isn't 100% successful, but you'll have what you need in a few attempts.

RpgN

Diebuster said:
His method doesn't sound right. Blue+Gold should give you Indigo, not pink, and it doesn't sound like he ever crosses them so he shouldn't even get Indigo. The method I used isn't 100% successful, but you'll have what you need in a few attempts.

I just tried it out and it worked first time. Thank you so much for your help, I wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise. What a stupid quest that was, but next time I'll be able to play the DLC before finishing the game. Finally!

Neifirst

Diebuster said:

I was in the exact same predicament as the other poster. I gave up after a couple of tries and ended up finishing Ending A with 96% of sidequests completed. I couldn't get the shade in the village quest to move ahead for some reason too. I'll try this method as I work towards ending B.

I can't believe how great this game's soundtrack is. I'm still listening to tracks from it almost everyday and it's been over 2 months since I got the album. It's easily the OST of the generation for me.

I'm about going back for the last 2 endings and the maybe the Platinum. How frustrating is it to grind all the weapons to their max level?

sonicmj1

The Take Out Bandit said:
Hey guys, nier is on clearance @ Kmart $19.99 for both systems.

Can I use the $20 off coupon I got from buying Vanquish last week to get Nier without having to spend extra cash? It says it only applies to purchases of $20 or more, and Nier is $19.99...

leng jai

Shalashaska161 said:
I can't believe how great this game's soundtrack is. I'm still listening to tracks from it almost everyday and it's been over 2 months since I got the album. It's easily the OST of the generation for me.

I'm about going back for the last 2 endings and the maybe the Platinum. How frustrating is it to grind all the weapons the their max level?

The OST is beautiful and very unique. Ties with Alan Wake as my fave soundtrack from this gen.

Finished the game this evening. Clocked in at around 16:30 hours, but I only did about 20% of the side quests (I couldn't really be assed with them).

I think it's easily one of the best games released this year, and unfortunately one of this generation's most overlooked. It's been such a long time since I felt a genuine attachment with the plight of the characters - Nier's struggle to find a cure for his daughter is the most obvious one, but I also loved Kaine and Emil's own personal struggles such as
her being 'different' and alone all the time, and Emil going from blind to the arguably worse fate of being a freak skeleton.
There's a lot of tears, but generally it's handled a lot better than most other games thanks to the brilliant voice acting and evocative music.

I loved the presentation. It's already been said many times that the soundtrack is fantastic and this praise is not undeserved. I had no qualms with the graphics - they were functional, sometimes fugly, and even pretty at times... but you don't really play Nier for its graphics anyway. I should note that the 5.1 DTS surround sound on PS3 was a nice addition.

Gameplay was surprisingly excellent. Nier feels very responsive and I always felt like I was in total control during combat. The ability to tailor the shoulder buttons to your choice of magic/moves was neat and I did indeed find myself tactically switching a lot of the time. While the swordplay really isn't as deep as something like Ninja Gaiden, it's at least on par with God of War and even successfully integrates the use of move cancels (by using evades and magic). It was great when the game
fast forwarded 5 years in the future and Nier had turned all badass and shit, wielding huge heavy weapons by default
. Aside from combat, I did enjoy the constant little genre shifts - the bigger RPG powerhouses in the industry should take note that adding dashes of puzzle, shooter, platformer, SHMUP and rogue-like elements can really keep your game fresh. All the typical extras like levelling, loot whoring and weapon crafting are about what you'd expect from a JRPG - they are functional enough (the 'word editing' was a neat spin on upgrades I guess).

As I said before, the side quests were a little disappointing. They almost always consisted of mundane fetch quests in which you have to bring some old codger 5 logs or something you don't give a shit about. The game could have done without them, but I suppose you don't have to do them (I sure as hell didn't) and some people may feel it adds 'value' to the game. I just feel they were a wasted opportunity and could have been spun out into something deeper like in Mass Effect or Fallout.

Finally on to the story. It is one of those games that gradually builds up to a very satisfying conclusion. There are many hints dropped throughout the game that nothing is as it seems (conveyed through some odd loading screens, documents and the mysterious prologue etc), and I was happy to see that it was all clear by the end - some real "oh, so that's what that was about" moments to be had. The ending was a pretty big mindfuck, and I admit to resorting to Wikipedia to make proper sense of it. But like Shadow of the Colossus and Siren: New Translation, GOTY 2005 and 2008 respectively, I do love an ending that makes you think and just about makes sense if you read up about it after. I also really respect the developers for dabbling in some purely text-based narration during
the dream sequence in the forest
- truly some of the best game writing in a long time.

All in all, superb game - 8/10.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game flipping rocks. I'm through the RE1 parts and I'm shocked by its awesomeness. F haters.

Gee

Y2Kev said:
This game flipping rocks. I'm through the RE1 parts and I'm shocked by its awesomeness. F haters.

I agree, but you probably haven't done all of the grinding for 100% yet.
The game will make you cry..

Shalashaska161 said:
I'm about going back for the last 2 endings and the maybe the Platinum. How frustrating is it to grind all the weapons to their max level?

Old post, but it's reaaaally annoying. You just have to keep farming the same enemies over and over and over and over, since there are a few items in the game with extremely low drop chances. It's very long and tedious, but thankfully it doesn't take much focus, so you could watch TV or something while you're gathering your items. I watched the entirety of Baccano when I started farming, and by the time the show was over I still wasn't done.

2San

So just finished the game once, but really don't feel like playing it over and over again. I know there's some backstory for the first new game+, but is that true for the new game++'s as well? Can I just watch the other endings on youtube and be done with it? Or are there more significant changes storywise in the new game+?

The game is awesome btw, I'm just not the type to replay a game directly after I've finished it.

Your New Game+ playthrough starts in the middle of the game
after Kaine gets unfrozen.
You get a different perspective on the whole story and a lot of insight into the shades' motivations. It's definitely worth playing the second half again if you've enjoyed the plot so far.
For the third and fourth playthrough only the ending changes and it's probably enough to just watch that on YouTube, even though you will miss a rather special decision you have to make yourself.

2San

slaughterking said:
Your New Game+ playthrough starts in the middle of the game
after Kaine gets unfrozen.
You get a different perspective on the whole story and a lot of insight into the shades' motivations. It's definitely worth playing the second half again if you've enjoyed the plot so far.
For the third and fourth playthrough only the ending changes and it's probably enough to just watch that on YouTube, even though you will miss a rather special decision you have to make yourself.
Alright thanks. I'll take your advice and play the 2nd half again.

shawnlreed

Shalashaska161 said:

Getting Platinum on Nier turned a 20 hour game into an 80 hour game. Those last 60 hours were filled with mindless grinding.
And if you think that's bad try getting 100% of the words, which requires you to be level 99.
I shudder to think how much time that would take.

ok, I'm doing this one quest, fragile delivery. Is Aerie the place where you find Weiss? I'm lost. The map doesn't really help me, it's not labeled. :lol This must be like the 10th time I broke it and going back to the guard, and still cannot find it? I've been to Seafront which is the only other town I know.

Diebuster

zerokoolpsx said:
ok, I'm doing this one quest, fragile delivery. Is Aerie the place where you find Weiss? I'm lost. The map doesn't really help me, it's not labeled. :lol This must be like the 10th time I broke it and going back to the guard, and still cannot find it? I've been to Seafront which is the only other town I know.

If I remember correctly, the guard is standing at the entrance to the plains where the Aerie is located (it's the big area with sheep and goats roaming around). Go there from the starting village and stick to the left. The first entrance you hit is the entrance to the Aerie.

I'm currently playing through Deadly Premonition and it contains similar amounts of secret awesomeness. Good to see that there are still games with heart and not just production values at this day and age. Nier will definitely make it to my GOTY list, only being topped by SSFIV and New Vegas. I actually went through the platinum trophy grind and I didn't regret it for some reason. I'm just in love with this game.

Grisby

I finished this game a few months back and just wanted to drop in with my 2 cents. The most amazing thing about this game is the way it handles the story. Without spoiling anything the plot isn't just 'saving the world' and it seems like the hero's (putting this in a really light sense) can never catch a break. It's amazing that this is a JRPG without the usual clichés.

However, a lot of things fall flat from the graphics to the combat. I appreciate all of the novel things they tried with the gameplay but its mostly hit and miss. Glad I played through it though and that ending was pretty touching.

Oh, and pretty much the best soundtrack this year for me.

2San

Ok just completed the new game+ it was pretty awesome. It's a pretty depressing game though(watched the other endings on youtube). :|

This game is coming in the mail from Goozex.

So prepare me, GAF. I can generally take enjoyment from mediocre games (not saying this is one) if I know what I'm getting in to.

What should I be focusing my adulation on and what should I be ready to brush off?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ShockingAlberto said:

So prepare me, GAF. I can generally take enjoyment from mediocre games (not saying this is one) if I know what I'm getting in to.

What should I be focusing my adulation on and what should I be ready to brush off?
The soundtrack, it tops Bayonetta for me. It isn't just fantastic, it's used perfectly.

It's a heavily flawed game, but does quite a few things most games don't

Volcynika

ShockingAlberto said:

Get all the endings. After you beat the game once it will be fairly quick to get the rest (you start a ng+ about halfway-ish into the game)

LiK

shintoki said:
The soundtrack, it tops Bayonetta for me. It isn't just fantastic, it's used perfectly.

It's a heavily flawed game, but does quite a few things most games don't

yea, i'm gonna buy the OST even tho i only played a few hours so far, lol

matmanx1

Funnily enough I ordered the OST for this from Play-Asia the other day. It's easily my favorite soundtrack in a good while for a game and the remix tracks for the DLC are pretty awesome also.

I really enjoyed my time with Nier earlier this year. I got attached to the characters and the gameplay was fun enough (and the music stellar enough) to keep me going for 30+ hours through the various endings. The game will rip your heart out on occasion and certainly make you think but that's what makes it so memorable. It's not that Nier does anything better than any other game you've played but it's the way it mixes the gameplay up and provides a really compelling reason to keep moving forward that makes the whole package special.

matmanx1 said:
It's not that Nier does anything better than any other game you've played

Nier has the best story/writing/characters I've seen in a looooooong time. The top notch localization goes hand in hand.

Top Bottom