• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Gravijah said:

Yup!

NOH4R.png

Yoshiya

Foxix said:
Also, does anyone know which of the two final endings is considered canon?
In Grimoire Nier, they discuss 'ending E', their unrealised plans for a sequence involving Kaine and the tree after the events of D. I guess you could interpret from that that the story significance is found in Nier's sacrifice. That said, this is Cavia was Cavia (*sob*) so it doesn't mean much. Nier is the sequel in a plot sense to Drakengard ending E, and Drakengard 2 is the sequel to Drakengard ending A. There is no canon.

Foxix said:
Titanium alloys are actually pretty easy to grind through if you run the dungeon right. Each of the big robots you fight drop one every time.

Oh, hm. Then I was confused. I THOUGHT they did, but then I checked my inventory and I only had two, despite having done that dungeon run a couple of times. Must have used the other ones for something else then, I guess.

Okay, Junk Heap here we come. Again :p

Foxix Von

TranceKuja said:
Oh, hm. Then I was confused. I THOUGHT they did, but then I checked my inventory and I only had two, despite having done that dungeon run a couple of times. Must have used the other ones for something else then, I guess.

Okay, Junk Heap here we come. Again :p
Are you opening up
the additional paths using bombs? There's at least one bot that I remember that you need to divert from the main path to fight.

DJChuy

Do you guys have any tips for farming for subdued bracelets and forlorn necklaces? Where's the best place to get them? From the 35 hours I've spent with this game, I only got the necklace once.

Dave Long

Banned
Has it been noted that this game is $15 at Gamestop? Because it is. $13 used.

I said I wouldn't buy any games in 2011, but I failed miserably when I saw this game was that price because people I respect on this board enjoyed it. I swear! That's it!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone ever gotten 100% of the words? Couldn't bring myself to grind that much, but I'm wondering if anything...interesting happens once you collect them all.

Oh god that boar. Hit me once and almost killed me.

Foxix said:
If I remember right you can adjust camera rotation speed in the options. Also how closely it follows your character, and whether or not, and how quickly, the camera can auto follow you.

Hadn't noticed that, and it helps a lot, thanks!

Foxix said:
Are you opening up
the additional paths using bombs? There's at least one bot that I remember that you need to divert from the main path to fight.

Yeah, I got them, thanks. Took me three more rounds through the Junk Heap, but then it also scored me two memory alloys in a row. And then later on another one :p

Foxix Von

Yoshiya said:
In Grimoire Nier, they discuss 'ending E', their unrealised plans for a sequence involving Kaine and the tree after the events of D. I guess you could interpret from that that the story significance is found in Nier's sacrifice. That said, this is Cavia was Cavia (*sob*) so it doesn't mean much. Nier is the sequel in a plot sense to Drakengard ending E, and Drakengard 2 is the sequel to Drakengard ending A. There is no canon.

Thanks. Well... that's interesting.
As much as I prefer the emphasis of Nier's sacrifice over Kaine's eh... Redemption...? oh god it just opens so many plot holes. Also, is it ever explained how Tyrann has this magical ability to just erase something from existence? I really hope to see this world expanded on even though Cavia's been disassembled. There's so much awesome potential in this world to just have SE just sit on it and let the property rot. I mean, hell they gave Kane and Lynch a sequel.

Diebuster

DJChuy said:
Do you guys have any tips for farming for subdued bracelets and forlorn necklaces? Where's the best place to get them? From the 35 hours I've spent with this game, I only got the necklace once.

For the Forlorn Necklaces, there's a magic shade on the roof of the Lost Shrine that drops it. For the Subdued Bracelets, there's a few flying shades in the desert that drop them.

Have a TV or a computer nearby so you can watch some shows or movies - you only need a handful of each, but it takes hours.

Wool

Augemitbutter said:
also set to hard for increased droprate.

Does that really improve the drop rate!?!? I'm up to the
temple where you have to save the prince from Facade
, and I've really enjoyed the whole game, but it has all been pretty easy. I haven't died yet, and I haven't done any grinding.

Do any of you get how the whole fishing system works? I'm not as bad as that guy from Joystiq :lol , but I don't understand the difference between baits. Also, is there any way to tell what kind of things you'll catch in a specific spot or is it just random? The old man said to catch 10 sardines, but I have not seen any sardines.

rdelaney said:
Does that really improve the drop rate!?!? I'm up to the
temple where you have to save the prince from Facade
, and I've really enjoyed the whole game, but it has all been pretty easy. I haven't died yet, and I haven't done any grinding.

yes, yoko taro confirmed it. the game is pretty easy on normal and you most probably will not die until the end as an experienced gamer.

Alright, beaten it for the first time. Some questions:

The scene with Popola and Devola was really powerful, mostly due to the terrific voice acting. I didn't understand much of the rest though. Will the other endings shed some more light on the whole thing? Also, how frequently are the cutsenes different? Are they also different when I go for ending C and D?

I'm not sure what you didn't understand, but the other endings only give you more insight and sympathy for all parties involved. You wont get another explanation for the basic plot, though.
There are a lot of additional and changed cutscenes during your second playthrough. For playthrough C and D only the very end is different.

slaughterking said:
I'm not sure what you didn't understand, but the other endings only give you more insight and sympathy for all parties involved. You wont get another explanation for the basic plot, though.
There are a lot of additional and changed cutscenes during your second playthrough. For playthrough C and D only the very end is different.

Okay, thanks. Hm.

Also can someone confirm that you don't need to UPGRADE all weapons for ending C but just need them in your possession? A friend of mine says every faq on the internet ever says you also need to upgrade them all, but I think I've read otherwise :/

Is this game seriously good? I've been following this thread for a while and I still don't know what to think. Is this typical gaf-hype or is this game seriously actually a good game? I don't find it unbelievable because White Knight Chronicles didn't review well and I enjoyed that game tons but that game looked more appealing in videos to me than this does.

So what's the final verdict? I know people who really like it are gonna hype it because they want more people to play it but like FOR SERIOUS. Is it good?

DJChuy

Diebuster said:
For the Forlorn Necklaces, there's a magic shade on the roof of the Lost Shrine that drops it. For the Subdued Bracelets, there's a few flying shades in the desert that drop them.

Have a TV or a computer nearby so you can watch some shows or movies - you only need a handful of each, but it takes hours.

Thanks. I'll check there then.

TranceKuja said:
Okay, thanks. Hm.

Also can someone confirm that you don't need to UPGRADE all weapons for ending C but just need them in your possession? A friend of mine says every faq on the internet ever says you also need to upgrade them all, but I think I've read otherwise :/

You just need to have all weapons. No upgrading required.

Wool

-Pyromaniac- said:
Is this game seriously good? I've been following this thread for a while and I still don't know what to think. Is this typical gaf-hype or is this game seriously actually a good game? I don't find it unbelievable because White Knight Chronicles didn't review well and I enjoyed that game tons but that game looked more appealing in videos to me than this does.

So what's the final verdict? I know people who really like it are gonna hype it because they want more people to play it but like FOR SERIOUS. Is it good?

I'm not really into JRPG's that much, but I think it's good. The combat is a lot like God of War, and it's got a lot of dungeons and puzzles like Zelda. The graphics aren't that great, but they're much better than PS2 graphics like a lot of people like to say.

For how much this games costs, it's definitely worth it IMO.

rdelaney said:
I'm not really into JRPG's that much, but I think it's good. The combat is a lot like God of War, and it's got a lot of dungeons and puzzles like Zelda. The graphics aren't that great, but they're much better than PS2 graphics like a lot of people like to say.

For how much this games costs, it's definitely worth it IMO.
What about the RPG stuff? Are they good? Is the story really good? Other rpg elements?

Also this quote from the rpgfan.com review seem in line with what you guys are saying:

I have damned other RPGs for mistakes Nier makes. On one hand, Nier almost makes for a very average game because of mediocre gameplay and a rough presentation. But its sins are burnt away in the brilliance of its shining achievements: real emotion, an amazing soundtrack, and an atmosphere and experience unique to the end despite derivative gameplay. Nier is something to be experienced, not read about, and this paltry review does little to explain the game's constant sense of being different. Video games tend to leave the recesses of my mind quickly after concluding. It's been several days, and Nier still has a place there. I imagine it will remain there in the weeks to come.
Urge to buy rising.

edit: Alright I just bought it, now make me feel good about it, lol. Should arrive the day after tomorrow since amazon had it for cheapest.

Zachack

-Pyromaniac- said:

It's worth playing. Your measure of good will vary (some people seem to treat it like the 2nd coming) depending on what bothers you but I do think it is worth the time and relatively small amount of money (I don't think I would pay $60 for it, though).
What about the RPG stuff? Are they good? Is the story really good? Other rpg elements?
The RPG elements are poor by most measures. The story is good, although my criticisms can't be discussed without major spoilers.

Really, it's not an RPG by most standards. It's much closer to Zelda.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why you should give Nier a shot:

GAF's #24 of the year
Eurogamer readers #49

Quite an achievement for a game with a metacritic score <7 and unfortunately even worse sales at launch.

I love Nier. And from the looks of things, I'm not alone.

Zachack

Foxix said:
Thanks. Well... that's interesting.
As much as I prefer the emphasis of Nier's sacrifice over Kaine's eh... Redemption...? oh god it just opens so many plot holes. Also, is it ever explained how Tyrann has this magical ability to just erase something from existence? I really hope to see this world expanded on even though Cavia's been disassembled. There's so much awesome potential in this world to just have SE just sit on it and let the property rot. I mean, hell they gave Kane and Lynch a sequel.
I looked at Ending D as more there for effect than actually making any sense. If you go back some pages Clear and I were arguing about the story direction of the game and I'd say that of all the endings, Ending D is the closest one to matching the original concept, since the notion of writing a character out of existence would make sense within the "books fighting it out" concept. I mean, if you really want to get all Back To The Future then Ending D was arguably a happy ending because it undid Nier's actions and the Shadowlord could conceivably start the restoration or whatever.

Really, a lot of the game doesn't make a whole lot of sense without some pretty big stretches. But then, the emotional experience the game is aiming for doesn't really rely on avoiding plot holes, so it doesn't matter.

Foxix Von

Zachack said:
I looked at Ending D as more there for effect than actually making any sense. If you go back some pages Clear and I were arguing about the story direction of the game and I'd say that of all the endings, Ending D is the closest one to matching the original concept, since the notion of writing a character out of existence would make sense within the "books fighting it out" concept. I mean, if you really want to get all Back To The Future then Ending D was arguably a happy ending because it undid Nier's actions and the Shadowlord could conceivably start the restoration or whatever.

Really, a lot of the game doesn't make a whole lot of sense without some pretty big stretches. But then, the emotional experience the game is aiming for doesn't really rely on avoiding plot holes, so it doesn't matter.

But his actions weren't undone. He was just forgotten. There's a scene at the end where Yonah asks Kainé something to the extent of "But you defeated the shadowlord, why do you look so sad?" It kind of implies that he's still dead, which means all of the actions have still occurred it's just that the person causing them has somehow been forgotten.

I still agree with you though, it's definitely more about eliciting emotion from the player and for that it really exceeded. I can't remember any game that had me so engaged with the characters.

Also, @TranceKuja.

The finer details of the story are sort of cryptic, and it took me a couple of runs through to pick up on everything. Did you read through the
documents that you get while fighting Devola and Popola? They shed light on a lot of mysteries, and even if they don't make much sense the first time around they give you some key terms to keep an eye out for.

1stStrike

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Can't wait to get it, interested to see what's up.

It kind of "tosses you into the shit" at first and you might a bit confused, but it'll all make sense soon enough. Also, it's an absolute requirement for you to do a new game+ to get ending B (about 4 - 5 more hours of play time if you do no side quests). It's not the same content either. Lots of new cut scenes and dialogue that wasn't there before (I would just run around during boss fights to listen to them talking because it was all new stuff)

mAcOdIn

-Pyromaniac- said:
Can't wait to get it, interested to see what's up.
I've loved every minute of it so far, I'm not up to the point where I can talk about endings as I'm still on my first play through but I think it's great.

I find it funny that my favorite 2 RPGs of this generation are new franchises that were sold and received poorly, that being this game and Resonance of Fate.

Both are definitely flawed games in the actual game mechanics area but I also think they were more ambitious in their storytelling than the major player FF XIII, Fallout 3, Dragon Age and others. I actually never beat FF XIII because I just didn't care about the story, I never beat Dragon Age because it just got old and while I did beat Fallout 3 I thought it was the mods I was using that made that game palatable. Nier and Resonance of Fate are just more interesting, more different.

Although I don't know if FF XIII counts as a RPG, I guess if Nier does so can FF XIII but I think FF XIII had the most offensive game play sins yet it was better received than Nier, probably just because of the name.

heringer

Played for a few hours, enjoying it so far.

Loved the voice work of the crazy chick (Kainé, I think) and the book. The father's performance is meh, but overall the voice work surprised me. Didn't expect it to be this good.

But man, they sure went nuts with bloom. It's ridiculously overdone. It actually hurts my eyes in some places.

ultron87

So I was in
the Junk Heap for when you go back there after the time jump (when you need Memory Alloys). I got to what presumably looked like the end of the second basement floor, ran up the spirally ramp that was below the first boss room and went up an elevator. This brought me to a room with a save point and a door. I ran to this save point and didn't notice a hole in the floor that dropped me back into the original boss room. There wasn't any way to get back up to that save point from the boss room, so I left and the story continued on without missing a beat to the Aerie, which was entertaining. Then it got exploded.

Was there anything important behind that door with the save point? Do I need to go back through that dungeon?

Zachack

ultron87 said:
So I was in
the Junk Heap for when you go back there after the time jump (when you need Memory Alloys). I got to what presumably looked like the end of the second basement floor, ran up the spirally ramp that was below the first boss room and went up an elevator. This brought me to a room with a save point and a door. I ran to this save point and didn't notice a hole in the floor that dropped me back into the original boss room. There wasn't any way to get back up to that save point from the boss room, so I left and the story continued on without missing a beat to the Aerie, which was entertaining. Then it got exploded.

Was there anything important behind that door with the save point? Do I need to go back through that dungeon?
I think you need to talk to the brother again. Did you get whatever it was you were sent down there for to fix the sword?

foxix said:
But his actions weren't undone. He was just forgotten. There's a scene at the end where Yonah asks Kainé something to the extent of "But you defeated the shadowlord, why do you look so sad?" It kind of implies that he's still dead, which means all of the actions have still occurred it's just that the person causing them has somehow been forgotten.
That makes more sense, I guess. I watched the ending and knew in advance what was going to happen so I may not have been paying as much attention, so I assumed the erasing of the saves was literally wiping Nier from history. I also think knowing what was going to happen going in and not actually having my saves wiped kinda dulled the ending for me, though, because I didn't really feel much for that ending. In a lot of ways I view Ending B as the real ending and it should just end there, because by the end of the game I really didn't care what happened to Kaine, at least not in comparison to Nier/Yonah.

Also, I may have missed it, but do Endings C or D have any extra Emil stuff? I got the bit at the end of B where he's alive (which I thought was a bit silly and nonsensical) but for all I know he could have rolled into a hole in the sand.

Foxix Von

Zachack said:
I think you need to talk to the brother again. Did you get whatever it was you were sent down there for to fix the sword?

That makes more sense, I guess. I watched the ending and knew in advance what was going to happen so I may not have been paying as much attention, so I assumed the erasing of the saves was literally wiping Nier from history. I also think knowing what was going to happen going in and not actually having my saves wiped kinda dulled the ending for me, though, because I didn't really feel much for that ending. In a lot of ways I view Ending B as the real ending and it should just end there, because by the end of the game I really didn't care what happened to Kaine, at least not in comparison to Nier/Yonah.

Also, I may have missed it, but do Endings C or D have any extra Emil stuff? I got the bit at the end of B where he's alive (which I thought was a bit silly and nonsensical) but for all I know he could have rolled into a hole in the sand.

Nope, I thought it was sort of weird actually. Endings C/D concern Kaine's & Tyrann's character development almost exclusively, and they don't even bother repeating most of what happened in A/B. I agree it was sort of silly but I bought into it. I mean he was supposed to be what amounts to the pinnacle of magical super weapons. It'd be weird if he died that easily.

Does anyone else remember the old man in the forest of myth? The village chief? He has this lingering fragment of a memory that he's met you before, but nothing concrete. It's talked about in your fist visit. I felt that that foreshadowed the cyclical nature of the rest of the game, and ending D.

Thanks for the replies, definitely getting in the mail tomorrow. I'm officially hyped. I used to make fun of this game lol, didn't think I'd be playing it. Effin gaf.

pancakesandsex said:
Does anyone else remember the old man in the forest of myth? The village chief? He has this lingering fragment of a memory that he's met you before, but nothing concrete. It's talked about in your fist visit. I felt that that foreshadowed the cyclical nature of the rest of the game, and ending D.
The story the tree tells you foreshadows the inevitable revelation at the end of the first run.

LaneDS

Soundtrack thread convinced me to pick this up. Read the OP, but had a question that is likely answered often in this thread... but I don't want to spoil myself, so:

If I've got a 360 and a PS3, is there a good reason to pick one version over the other? Going to go with Gestalt, so I'm only asking based on technical differences and the like.

1stStrike

Banned
LaneDS said:
Soundtrack thread convinced me to pick this up. Read the OP, but had a question that is likely answered often in this thread... but I don't want to spoil myself, so:

If I've got a 360 and a PS3, is there a good reason to pick one version over the other? Going to go with Gestalt, so I'm only asking based on technical differences and the like.

I don't think anyone has found any differences between them, so just pick whichever system suits your fancy.

LaneDS said:

PS3 version has better sound, like with most games (dts).

Wool

TheVisualizer said:
goddamn all these fetch quests... I can't stop... doing them... :D

Haha, I'm the same way. My daughter is about to die, but that can wait, I have to get some tulip bulbs for the florist.

Uh, wow. I just finished ending A and ... wow.

When Kaine grabs you and pushes you against the wall... omg me----yoowwww! Mai waifu total.

I can't wait to see what the other endings have in store for me, although I probably won't spend 55 hours on each one like I did with my first playthrough. -_-

Okay so I'm doing my second playthrough and suddenly this game makes me feel like
an enormous ass.

Seriously,
I just finished off BEEPY and the shade and boy that was sad. Same with the statue boss.

Suddenly I realize why everyone thinks the game is so depressing and sad. It didn't really get to me the first time but now... this is just... well, sad ):

The music the first time around made me feel a little sad for the brother who went crazy, but the song has a whole other meaning now that I know I've killed a little boy who just wanted to ride his robot into the world on a rainbow made of friendship.

1stStrike

Banned
TranceKuja said:
Okay so I'm doing my second playthrough and suddenly this game makes me feel like
an enormous ass.

Seriously,
I just finished off BEEPY and the shade and boy that was sad. Same with the statue boss.

Suddenly I realize why everyone thinks the game is so depressing and sad. It didn't really get to me the first time but now... this is just... well, sad ):

The music the first time around made me feel a little sad for the brother who went crazy, but the song has a whole other meaning now that I know I've killed a little boy who just wanted to ride his robot into the world on a rainbow made of friendship.

Hahahah, yeah, ending B does that to you. Wait until you do
the wolf fight

I'd also recommend not killing the bosses right away and just run around and listen to the dialogue as you often get comments from
the shade inside Kaine along with entirely new conversations

Top Bottom