• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
heringer said:
How long until the story really kicks in? I just saved the mask prince.

It depends on the order you do things, but a huge part is at the end of part 1, and then it speeds up from there a bit, with the inevitable info dump towards the end.

I've played it for a couple hours. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Story seems like it's good so far, seems like it will get deeper as it goes on. The quests are basically me being everyone's bitch but so far it's addicting. Battles are basic but enough things you can do where it remains fun, at the least. Music is amazing.

Glad I got this, thanks gaf!

1stStrike

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I've played it for a couple hours. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Story seems like it's good so far, seems like it will get deeper as it goes on. The quests are basically me being everyone's bitch but so far it's addicting. Battles are basic but enough things you can do where it remains fun, at the least. Music is amazing.

Glad I got this, thanks gaf!

What did you think of the beginning before you even got to the start menu? When I heard that I was just like "what the fuck... i already love this game" lol. Some people here hated it though :p

Gravijah

1stStrike said:
What did you think of the beginning before you even got to the start menu? When I heard that I was just like "what the fuck... i already love this game" lol. Some people here hated it though :p

X BUTTON X BUTTON X BUTTON SKIP IT NOWWWWWWWWW

1stStrike

Banned
Gravijah said:
X BUTTON X BUTTON X BUTTON SKIP IT NOWWWWWWWWW

Like this guy lol

gdt5016 said:
Just ordered this on Amazon, 360 version (is that the better version, btw?), I better dig this GAF!

I'm pretty sure you'll like it. We've had a lot of naysayers converted to Nier fanatics in this thread :D

1stStrike

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
got to the part of the game where the dialog from the title screen is from... shit just got real.

Yeah, the end of part 1 is so fucking epic. I really am tempted to just do another play through from the beginning one of these days ^_^

1stStrike said:
ahhaa I had a giant WTF is going on face, and then epic music began playing right off the bat. Good times.

1stStrike

Banned
This is the trailer that sold me on the game. I remember playing it many times just to hear the song and desperately trying to find that song on the net. Now I own the whole OST ^_^

Gravijah

1stStrike said:
This is the trailer that sold me on the game. I remember playing it many times just to hear the song and desperately trying to find that song on the net. Now I own the whole OST ^_^

Honestly, I had barely seen anything of this game when I played it. I knew of the shitty fishing review, I had seen some screenshots. So I rented it and the rest is history.

This game is amazing. That is all.

(I've been playing for two nights and I love it.)

Speaking of the OST, what's the best way to get it here in the US? Do I really have to import it on disc or can I legally download it somewhere?

Neuromancer said:

Speaking of the OST, what's the best way to get it here in the US? Do I really have to import it on disc or can I legally download it somewhere?
itunes. I believe most of Square's game are on there.

Edit-Yep.

Nieronitunes.png

Gravijah said:
Honestly, I had barely seen anything of this game when I played it. I knew of the shitty fishing review, I had seen some screenshots. So I rented it and the rest is history.

i saw a few screenshots, read three lines and bought the game. i knew it would come out good, but not that good.

1stStrike

Banned
Neuromancer said:

You'll have to import it or as mentioned get it on itunes for a physical copy, unfortunately. Shipping is pretty quick if you choose a decent carrier though (you'll pay for it, however). I ordered the arrange album via fedex air and it was at my house in 3 days.

There are of course other means to obtain it, but I'd recommend supporting this game in whatever way possible since the soundtrack is well worth the money since all the songs are awesome (it's not like one of those albums with 2 good songs and 13 other shitty songs)

I hear there's a point of no return where I can't do any unfinished quests or something. I just got done going to
Emil's mansion and getting the last sealed verse

Should I start finishing off leftover sidequests now? I have mostly fishing to do.

Gravijah

Crewnh said:
I hear there's a point of no return where I can't do any unfinished quests or something. I just got done going to

Should I start finishing off leftover sidequests now? I have mostly fishing to do.

Fishing can wait, you can do that later... but I think you might have went over the point of no return. Do you have a save before the mansion?

Sidequests aren't a huge deal, but if you want to 100% them all then yeah.

1stStrike

Banned
Crewnh said:

Yeah, as you progress through the story you'll lose the ability to do quests. It'll let you know which quests are unfinshable as well. Personally, if you're dead set on actually doing all of them then I'd just get them all knocked out and then move on with teh story.

Also, the part you're at has a pretty epic end to it :)

Alright time to force myself to stop playing for the night. This game is crack.

Also I got past the fishing part a little while ago, lol I made such a stupid obvious mistake that I bet a lot of people made. I tried to fish where the guy gave me the rod rather than going to the red X where it's 100000 times easier to catch fish. Stupid me! Is that what joystiq did or are they that mentally challenged?

1stStrike

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:

Also I got past the fishing part a little while ago, lol I made such a stupid obvious mistake that I bet a lot of people made. I tried to fish where the guy gave me the rod rather than going to the red X where it's 100000 times easier to catch fish. Stupid me! Is that what joystiq did or are they that mentally challenged?

Ahahahaha... that got almost all of us. "Fuck this god damn fishing it's so fucking hard."

*an hour later*

"Fuuuu.. wait..what's taht red X on the map?"

"WHAT THE FUCK THERE'S MORE FISHING SPOTS?"

WHY DID THE GUY GIVE ME THE ROD AND LURE OVER THERE. That's my main beef, goddamn. I thought the red X was telling me where to go after I got the fish, or was a separate mission or something. I didn't think it was telling me where to fish. And then when I got there I was catching them like nobodies goddamn business.

I did catch a plant in the tough spot though! Put up more of a fight than a fish in the easy spot.

-Pyromaniac- said:

the problem with the fishing is that was poorly explained, I never paid any attention to reviews for this game as it wasn't ever on my radar, I struggled with fishing but didn't feel like checking online to figure it out so it took awhile for it to click. I just experimented with trial and error to figure out what I was doing wrong and eventually got it. I was focused on pulling the rod to either the left or right when most of the time you need to pull it back towards you to keep your "fish" from getting away

Gravijah said:
Fishing can wait, you can do that later... but I think you might have went over the point of no return. Do you have a save before the mansion?

Sidequests aren't a huge deal, but if you want to 100% them all then yeah.
No. Well that freaking sucks. Knew I should have made another save.
1stStrike said:
Yeah, as you progress through the story you'll lose the ability to do quests. It'll let you know which quests are unfinshable as well. Personally, if you're dead set on actually doing all of them then I'd just get them all knocked out and then move on with teh story.

Also, the part you're at has a pretty epic end to it :)
Yeah, I know they're supposed to show up on the fourth option but I haven't seen any in there yet. I have some other quest where I have to find material for some sailor who wants goat hides, rubber and some other crap and then another quest where the seafront tavern lady wants shark fins and some other stuff. Couldn't be bothered to do it right away since goats kept dropping meat and I figured I needed to fish more and I hate fishing.

1stStrike

Banned
Pappasman said:
I just finished the Forest of Myth, that whole sequence was pretty awesome. I'm really surprised how much I like this game.

Thank you! I loved the throw back to MUDS in that section of the game, but not everyone seems to appreciate all the reading involved :p

The song fits it perfectly too. "Grandma"

Neuromancer said:
Fuck it why not

Too late!

That's all right I'm an instant gratification kind of guy anyway

I'd recommend "Shadowlord - Music Box Version", "The Legend of Nier - 8 Bit Heroes", "Kaine - Duct Version", and "Lost Androids Mixuxux" specifically. Those are my favorites on the arrange album :)

Pappasman

1stStrike said:
Thank you! I loved the throw back to MUDS in that section of the game, but not everyone seems to appreciate all the reading involved :p

My brother was watching me play while reading and eventually put down his book at that part, he was so into it. I read the entire thing out loud, it was so awesome.

Lard

Banned
Pappasman said:
I just finished the Forest of Myth, that whole sequence was pretty awesome. I'm really surprised how much I like this game.

I did that tonight as well, I thought it was great.

I'm enjoying the little throwaways to other styles they're doing.

Got to the second "half" or whatever you want to call it tonight.

Poor Emil :(

... just finished ending D.

... ;_;

This game is sooo awesome. RPG of the year for me, if not GOTY (for 2010).

Wow, I sunk almost 70 hours into this game and I don't regret a single moment (well, maybe the fishing...)

... :( :( :( :(

Adam Blade said:

... ;_;

Wow, I sunk almost 70 hours into this game and I don't regret a single moment (well, maybe the fishing...)

The journey is complete.

I think I'll play through it again, later this year.

Foxix Von

Adam Blade said:

... ;_;

Yeah... High five! It's definitely up there for me too, I don't think any other game this year had me that engaged.

But yeah... it's damn sad. Just everything. I can see this becoming a sort of personal classic for me. It's probably going to be something I pop in once every year or so for the fond memories.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game arrived today. Tonight begins Nier.

1stStrike

Banned
EatChildren said:
Game arrived today. Tonight begins Nier.

Congrats. Enjoy the journey :)

Adam: It really leaves you feeling down, but it sends a message too. I just love how this game isn't so overly happy with everyone just being emo and shit all the time. People have real issues in Nier, some real fucked up issues, and they all act the only way they know how. I know it doesn't suit everyone's fancy, as a game, but I think that with the resources they had available, they were really able to nail the human spirit in this.

This ain't no Final Fantasy bullshit.

This is Nier.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only just started, but my immediate impressions are that the game reminds me of a hybrid between Zelda and old school NES/SNES era RPG design and atmosphere. I mean that in a good way, mind you.

heringer

Game really picks up in the second part. Some cool stuff happening now.

This game reminds me No More Heroes in that it's worth to put up with boring stuff to get awesome boss fights, soundtrack and story.

Really, the boss fights are the highlight of the game so far.

Top Bottom