• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

ultron87

EatChildren said:
Only just started, but my immediate impressions are that the game reminds me of a hybrid between Zelda and old school NES/SNES era RPG design and atmosphere. I mean that in a good way, mind you.

The ridiculous variety of games that this games takes stuff from is one of the best parts about it.

Especially the bullet hell shooter style bosses.

Zachack

ultron87 said:
The ridiculous variety of games that this games takes stuff from is one of the best parts about it.

Especially the bullet hell shooter style bosses.
The bullet hell bosses were great.

Speaking of game callbacks (mansion section):
Does the game ever really explain the above-ground mansion section, like why the paintings changed to more "evil" version? It makes sense in context of the warring fairy-tale books idea but not in the final version, at least from what I saw.

1stStrike

Banned
Zachack said:

Does the game ever really explain the above-ground mansion section, like why the paintings changed to more "evil" version? It makes sense in context of the warring fairy-tale books idea but not in the final version, at least from what I saw.

I'm really not sure on that one. It's possible that it may be documented somewhere here though.

Zachack said:

My theory:

They were trying to scare people off from ever actually finding out about the laboratory down there. The lab was built first, then the mansion on top of it as a disguise.

1stStrike

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
My theory:

They were trying to scare people off from ever actually finding out about the laboratory down there. The lab was built first, then the mansion on top of it as a disguise.

That does sound viable. It's definitely a pretty freaky place. I expected one of them to pop out of the wall at any point in time and drag me in, so I crept around all scared and shit lol

1stStrike said:
That does sound viable. It's definitely a pretty freaky place. I expected one of them to pop out of the wall at any point in time and drag me in, so I crept around all scared and shit lol

I loved how
Weiss would start screaming in fear when the washbin filled up with water.

The Shadow said:
I loved how
Weiss would start screaming in fear when the washbin filled up with water.
I hate how that happens every time you go in there. *shudders* -_- I was surprised they didn't have something happen in the
kitchen.

Gribbix

Zachack said:
I don't know about that particular aspect, but I like how the game
seemingly gives an explanation for how an underground laboratory is still powered after 1000+ years. If you've fished a lot in Seafront, you may have noticed an array of rotating wind turbines located outside the town and in the same general direction as the mansion. Then again, maybe I'm just reading into things too much.

Gribbix said:
I don't know about that particular aspect, but I like how the game
seemingly gives an explanation for how an underground laboratory is still powered after 1000+ years. If you've fished a lot in Seafront, you may have noticed an array of rotating wind turbines located outside the town and in the same general direction as the mansion. Then again, maybe I'm just reading into things too much.
That isn't off base, I wondered about those too.

Foxix Von

ShockingAlberto said:
My theory:

Yeah this was my exact same reasoning.
I'll have to keep an eye out for those turbines whenever I start up a new game.

The B-run definitely made the game more special for me. Everything has so much more meaning now.

But yeah, now doing my C-run and I'm at the final savepoint. Can someone tell me where exactly the new scenes start?

Gravijah

TranceKuja said:
The B-run definitely made the game more special for me. Everything has so much more meaning now.

But yeah, now doing my C-run and I'm at the final savepoint. Can someone tell me where exactly the new scenes start?

I think after you beat the Shadowlord, but I'm not 100%. Should be somewhere around that battle.

heringer

Alright guys, count me as a new Nier fan. This game is awesome. Can't believe how wrong the critics were.

First part of the game can be boring, but the second part makes up for it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
gdt5016 said:
How long is this game, more or less?

Took me about 15 hours the first time through. Bear in mind I skipped many of the side quests and only upgraded 2-3 weapons. Then 4-5 hours for the second ending.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
1stStrike said:
Congrats. Enjoy the journey :)

Adam: It really leaves you feeling down, but it sends a message too. I just love how this game isn't so overly happy with everyone just being emo and shit all the time. People have real issues in Nier, some real fucked up issues, and they all act the only way they know how. I know it doesn't suit everyone's fancy, as a game, but I think that with the resources they had available, they were really able to nail the human spirit in this.

This ain't no Final Fantasy bullshit.

This is Nier.

I agree. It can really annoy me when characters start crying, especially in JRPGs. Maybe because I don't really care much about the characters and their problems, or that I think they're simply overreacting a lot. When one of the characters actually cried in Nier (and it doesn't happen that often), I remember thinking "if anyone should ever be allowed to cry in a game, it's you". And I actually cared.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I haven't played nor plan to play this game, but I just wanna point out that I got the arrangements track from iTunes and it is fucking amazing. Music is the one area where I can trust Squeenix to still deliver.

Gravijah

Regulus Tera said:
I haven't played nor plan to play this game, but I just wanna point out that I got the arrangements track from iTunes and it is fucking amazing. Music is the one area where I can trust Squeenix to still deliver.

your mother fuckin' ass needs to plan to play it

fucker

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Regulus Tera said:
GTFO

Regulus Tera said:
I love how you provide no explanation as to why you will not play this game.

the humor in this game is right up my alley, Weiss continually amazes me coming up with new ways to berate the main character every chance he gets...

MechaX

Finished the game last night and watched the other endings and extra scenes on youtube. Even read that translated Grimoire Neir for good measure.

So.. In short,
Nier accidentally doomed all of humanity?

heringer

On the final dungeon now.

The spear is easily the best weapon in the game. I mean, you can get through anything with that thrust move.

Their power are comparable to the two handed swords, yet they are much faster and the thrust gives you invulnerability for a second, so there's little reason not to use it.

Sometimes I use a two handed sword though, just for stylish points. :p

MechaX said:
So.. In short,

How so?

An a side note, DLC wasn't really worth it for me at that price point. Sure, the extra costumes were nice, but I was hoping for a little less fabric and more skin... >.>

Kaine mai waifu. :3

As ridiculous as it may or may not sound, even though the game isn't that long so it's not too ridiculous, I already beat the game, lol. Anyway let me just say I absolutely loved it, the soundtrack is truly beautiful stuff and the story just might be the best story this generation. Gameplay was fun enough.

I'm quite sure I understood the gist of the story but not 100% sure about the details, so someone help me out and tell me where I'm wrong, I'll be calling the hero Nier btw: So shades are basically
vessels that were used to store people's souls in the Gestalt Project, and those souls were supposed end up in another vessel. But the replicants were becoming sentient and developing their own consciousness before the souls were ever transferred. As for the shades with souls, they began to relapse or something and began attacking the replicants.
Am I right about all this?

So Nier in the beginning of the game
is protecting his daughter but is unable to do so, so he requests help from a book, which I'm assuming was Grimoir Noir, and this made him a shade, the first sentient shade. He used these powers to fend off the other shades and then noticed his daughter used the spell in the other book by accident or something which although I'm not sure of this, is what gave her what was known as "black scrawl".
Is that right?

And then eventually the
original Nier who became a shade retrieved Yonah from the replicant, because he still has his soul and memories and everything and the desire to help save his daughter. His plan is get her back and then transfer her soul into a replicant body, that was obviously made using her genes I assume. But then at the end I'm guessing there was an internal struggle inside her between her own soul and the consciousness of the replicant both desiring to be with their dads. So at the end she releases the shade part of her, which I'm guessing is actually the original daughter and allows the replicant body to continue to live. Also the replicant nier kills the original nier because he doesn't understand all this I assume.
Alright that was long, but am I right on that as well? How did I dooooo?

Feel free to add in anything I'm missing. Also what's the benefit of playing through NG+. I mean I will do it anyway but it says something about Kaine's story, so is it a sort of different game, or is it identical except you'll maybe see extra scenes. Is the ultimate ending very different? I just don't understand what it was implying. Anyway I know this post was long but I enjoyed it plenty, thanks for the recommendation gaf, if I could go back in time I'd slap my past self for ignoring it this long. Best 20 bucks spent in a while.

Ashkeloth

-Pyromaniac- said:
Also what's the benefit of playing through NG+. I mean I will do it anyway but it says something about Kaine's story, so is it a sort of different game, or is it identical except you'll maybe see extra scenes. Is the ultimate ending very different? I just don't understand what it was implying.

New game plus starts you off in part 2 of the game just as
Kaine is being freed from pretification.
It includes 3 novel style stories (like in the Forest of Myth but without the text adventure-esque choices) that detail Kaine's life growing up, and also some extra scenes based around the shades that you fight in part 2 that will pretty much flip the game on it's head. It will also subtitle the dialogue of certain bosses and shades that you can't understand.

All of the endings are massively different as well or at the very least detail a lot of the stuff you may be wondering about from other characters perspectives. To get C and D, you have to get B by beating NG+ once, and then do it again and you'll get a choice that will let you decide between endings C and D. Keep a save outside the final area for quick access to D after C, and don't pick D unless you've
backed up your saves
or they'll be gone.

Also, I recommend reading Grimoire Nier if you want to understand the real depth behind this story after you're done seeing all of the endings (it spoils some endings past A). You can find links to it on the GameFAQs board for this game.

I just got the game a few days ago, and it's simply amazing.

This game got robbed critically.

Best soundtrack of 2010. Great story, amazing variety in gameplay and incredibly imaginative bosses.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ashkeloth said:
To get C and D, you have to get B by beating NG+ once, and then do it again and you'll get a choice that will let you decide between endings C and D.

Thought you had to find all the weapons in the game as well?

Wool

Anybody here catch any impressive fish?

I caught a 26.37 inch, 6.56 lb rainbow trout the other day!
Good thing I worked on a fishing boat for a month and did 200 sit ups.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
rdelaney said:
Anybody here catch any impressive fish?

I caught a 26.37 inch, 6.56 lb rainbow trout the other day!
Good thing I worked on a fishing boat for a month and did 200 sit ups.

I caught a 13,000 pound fish, forget what the name of it was. Shit is ridiculous, lol.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TheVisualizer said:
the humor in this game is right up my alley, Weiss continually amazes me coming up with new ways to berate the main character every chance he gets...
Weiss is so great~! I actually like most of the characters in the game a great deal, so it makes it all the more enjoyable for me.

iammeiam

MechaX said:
Finished the game last night and watched the other endings and extra scenes on youtube. Even read that translated Grimoire Neir for good measure.

So.. In short,

Yep.
All the shades will corrupt, killing the real humans, and without Devola and Popola there's nobody around to keep making replicants so the fake humans die off too.
And to make it even better, he doesn't even
save Yonah in the process, since she still has the Black Scrawl.

-Pyromaniac- said:
edit: no comments on the story? Does that mean I got it all right!?

I think people generally just don't want to talk story until after you do NG+ or at least see the path B scenes since they make a few things about the world much more obvious.

heringer

Finished the game. Loved it.

So, I just loaded my clear save game and it started
with a few Kaine dreams while she was petrified. Is this the NG+ or do I have to start another game?

Coldsnap

So after I've beaten it twice and taken a week break of playing it to let it digest, I can say I really really like this game. I'm glad there are some people spreading the word of this game because I would have looked over it for sure.

Top Bottom