• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Caelestis

I read that part of the interview some days ago and was disappointed, too. English voices would have made my life easier since I am trying to get through the Replicant version of this game now. :p

Hesemonni

Banned
My girlfriend asked my what I was playing and I told her that I'm playing this RPG which might not shine in graphics front and I'm really playing it for the story.

Then Kaine appeared.

And I guess from here on out it's really no use debating with her why I play the games I play.

And and, am I the only one fishing in wrong location for hours, cursing the fishing mechanics to hell and then realizing that X marks the spot?

trejo

Hesemonni said:
And and, am I the only one fishing in wrong location for hours, cursing the fishing mechanics to hell and then realizing that X marks the spot?
No, I'm sure there's at least one more person who had the same problem.

Just played past the first dungeon last night. So far a very good game, my only complaint is the camera system/lack of lock-on. During the second boss fight when they did charge attacks it seemed like I could never move the camera around quickly enough to get them into view.

Kind of a minor complaint since this is solved by rolling far, far away and then finagling the camera.

God, I want to uncover all these spoilers but I'm really trying not to. :D

trejo

john tv said:
Estelle's not in it but Karol is. :) Surprised more people didn't notice/mention that!
Huh? I could've sworn Estelle and Popola are voiced by the same person. But then again, I suppose you'd know for sure.

john tv, can you please confirm who the voice actor for Tyrann is? I'm really tempted to believe that it is Spike Spencer, in which case I will really be impressed.

Foxix Von

AtomskEater said:
Just played past the first dungeon last night. So far a very good game, my only complaint is the camera system/lack of lock-on. During the second boss fight when they did charge attacks it seemed like I could never move the camera around quickly enough to get them into view.

Kind of a minor complaint since this is solved by rolling far, far away and then finagling the camera.

God, I want to uncover all these spoilers but I'm really trying not to. :D

If I remember right you can adjust camera rotation speed in the options. Also how closely it follows your character, and whether or not, and how quickly, the camera can auto follow you.

@ninj4junpei:

Whoever he is, he does a freaking amazing job :lol

Foxix said:
If I remember right you can adjust camera rotation speed in the options. Also how closely it follows your character, and whether or not, and how quickly, the camera can auto follow you.
Nier's options for the camera are really impressive. It confounds me that more developers don't include options like those. I started playing Infamous again last night, and having the camera automatically adjust was rather jarring.
Foxix said:
@ninj4junpei:

Whoever he is, he does a freaking amazing job :lol
Very true.

Foxix Von

ninj4junpei said:
Nier's options for the camera are really impressive. It confounds me that more developers don't include options like those. I started playing Infamous again last night, and having the camera automatically adjust was rather jarring.

Very true.

I actually had it configured to follow me for the majority of the game. Only recently have I seen the light and turned the
GODDAMN NO GOOD BULSHIT BASTARD!
off.

But I agree, more games just need more options in general. I get sick of opening up game menus and only seeing options for brightness and only one audio setting.

Also letting the user customize controls is not a bad thing devs! Half the reason I love the old Battlefront games is because you could configure eeevvverrrryyyything.

Foxix said:
I actually had it configured to follow me for the majority of the game. Only recently have I seen the light and turned the
GODDAMN NO GOOD BULSHIT BASTARD!
off.

But I agree, more games just need more options in general. I get sick of opening up game menus and only seeing options for brightness and only one audio setting.

Also letting the user customize controls is not a bad thing devs! Half the reason I love the old Battlefront games is because you could configure eeevvverrrryyyything.
This! Frakin' this! That shit is inexcusable. I was dumbfounded when I couldn't change the controls in Contra 4 or Cave Story on Wiiware. It's one thing to have different button configurations, but to have nothing is just annoying. If I want to use the select button to shoot, I damn well should be able to. >:| Not that I would, of course. :lol

Syril

ninj4junpei said:
john tv, can you please confirm who the voice actor for Tyrann is? I'm really tempted to believe that it is Spike Spencer, in which case I will really be impressed.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. The English cast did such a great job, I wish the game credited them. I know Nier is Tager from BlazBlue and Kaine is Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist, but that was all I recognized.

Syril said:
Yeah, I'd like to know too. The English cast did such a great job, I wish the game credited them. I know Nier is Tager from BlazBlue and Kaine is Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist, but that was all I recognized.
More importantly, she is Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket
tohru28.jpg

as well as
167sdgw.jpg

Laura Bailey <3

What's up with voice actors in video games not getting credited in some games? Particularly in niche games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Syril said:

Mind blown. I main Tager in BB and can't believe I missed that...knew it sounded damn familiar.

I've played 9 hours 15 minutes so far and it's gotten great.

Poor Kaine! :( That whole event was crazy, I kind of thought that was the end of the game but I'm wrong.

How long do I have left of this game?

2San

john tv said:
Tales of Vesperia. :)
:eek: Played that, didn't make the link since the games seem completely unrelated. Karol is the game? Where? :O Personally despised Karol though. xD
ashbash159 said:
How long do I have left of this game?
Pretty much the halfway point, the game gets better now. :O

GAF, as somebody who's hated the direction modern JRPGs have taken (dungeon crawlers and corridor-running with bullshit, unlikeable characters), is Nier worth a shot? I've read a few pages and it kind of seems "love it or don't."

Primarily I'm intrigued by the fucking OVERWORLD of all things! I haven't seen a decent-looking overworld map in a long time. So that's neat. Is exploration rewarded (i.e. secrets?)

How about average play time? I usually like to do most side-quests and scour everywhere for stuff.

disappeared said:
GAF, as somebody who's hated the direction modern JRPGs have taken (dungeon crawlers and corridor-running with bullshit, unlikeable characters), is Nier worth a shot? I've read a few pages and it kind of seems "love it or don't."

Primarily I'm intrigued by the fucking OVERWORLD of all things! I haven't seen a decent-looking overworld map in a long time. So that's neat. Is exploration rewarded (i.e. secrets?)

How about average play time? I usually like to do most side-quests and scour everywhere for stuff.
Nier is unlike any other modern jRPG.

ninj4junpei said:
What's up with voice actors in video games not getting credited in some games? Particularly in niche games.
It's usually a union thing. You can only take so many jobs as a voice actor, which is why they sometimes go uncredited or make like 50 names if they want to be well known but don't want to get in trouble. Like Steve Blum does. He's basically in 80% of video games.

Papercuts

2San said:
:eek: Played that, didn't make the link since the games seem completely unrelated. Karol is the game? Where? :O Personally despised Karol though. xD

Pretty much the halfway point, the game gets better now. :O

She's Emil, uses the exact same voice. =P

disappeared said:
Mind elaborating a bit? :)
God of War combat mixed with bullet hell mixed with isometric dungeon crawling mixed with text adventures with a small overworld and only five main areas that you return to twice over the course of the game, with incredible characters/story and the best soundtrack videogames can offer.

2San

@disappeared: the overworld is small though. Don't really think there's a lot to explore. I'm not sure, because I just followed the main quest. :eek: It's worth a try either way it's a pretty unique experience and it's cheap as well.

Papercuts said:
She's Emil, uses the exact same voice. =P
:lol Missed the part that they where talking about VA's.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's usually a union thing. You can only take so many jobs as a voice actor, which is why they sometimes go uncredited or make like 50 names if they want to be well known but don't want to get in trouble. Like Steve Blum does. He's basically in 80% of video games.

so some VAs create different alias or go uncredited to do more jobs than they're allowed to take? i hope i got that right, but i didn't know there was a limit.

Augemitbutter said:
so some VAs create different alias or go uncredited to do more jobs than they're allowed to take? i hope i got that right, but i didn't know there was a limit.
Which is why someone like Nolan North who is absolutely saturating the market with his boring, dull voice will have to undergo an alias change so he can keep doing it in the future.

sonicmj1

disappeared said:

Nier is an action-RPG made by very creative people with very little money.

The world of the game isn't that big, but they get mileage out of what they have. Nearly every area in the game is used at least twice, not counting sidequests. And the overworld isn't really an overworld like an old RPG. There are a few connecting zones between main town hub areas. They aren't that big, and there's not too much to explore in those areas. But an early sidequest lets you ride a boar through those zones, and that's fun. It can drift!

The action is fairly standard button mashing, with some very powerful magic to help you out. It's not hard on the default difficulty. The game frequently mixes up the camera and gameplay styles, though, so it doesn't usually get into a rut in that sense.

In every area, there are little glowing harvest points that give you items. Enemies also drop items. These items are used for sidequests and for weapon upgrades. The level of grind required for weapon upgrading is insane if you're going for everything (don't do it), but sidequests are manageable if you're persistent.

There are plenty of sidequests in the game, and while they aren't all exciting, they tell a lot of backstory, which is worth seeing. I think the game took me about 30 hours to beat twice and clear nearly every sidequest.

The story seems to be based on pretty standard tropes at first (collect X number of things, save the world), but it takes a number of more interesting turns as it goes. There are a few cliches, but the general shape of things feels unique for the genre. Especially in NG+.

Given how cheap it is now, I'd say it's worth checking out if you're curious. There's a lot of really rough design, but it rewards the persistent.

Augemitbutter said:
Yeah, first time I've heard that. I presume that's an American thing?

Blargh, another sidequest I won't have the patience for to complete. TEN Titanium Alloys? Screw that ):

But hey I've already got 90% of them done. Also feeling like I'm getting close to the first ending.

sonicmj1 said:
The world of the game isn't that big, but they get mileage out of what they have. Nearly every area in the game is used at least twice, not counting sidequests.

I think this is actually a bit of a shame. The dungeons just kind of lose their sense of awesome after you've visited them for the fourth plus time just to get some item somewhere. I think more areas would have made the game more enjoyable for me.

Not that I'm NOT enjoying it right now. Just wish there was more places to ogle at.

Titanium Alloys actually drop pretty frequently from the ground robot enemies that do that shock thing. It's the Memory Alloys that can go fuck themselves.

Foxix Von

TranceKuja said:
Blargh, another sidequest I won't have the patience for to complete. TEN Titanium Alloys? Screw that ):

But hey I've already got 90% of them done. Also feeling like I'm getting close to the first ending.

I think this is actually a bit of a shame. The dungeons just kind of lose their sense of awesome after you've visited them for the fourth plus time just to get some item somewhere. I think more areas would have made the game more enjoyable for me.

Not that I'm NOT enjoying it right now. Just wish there was more places to ogle at.

Titanium alloys are actually pretty easy to grind through if you run the dungeon right. Each of the big robots you fight drop one every time. You can fight four of them in a single run plus any that might drop from the regular bots you fight. At the very most you'd have to breeze through the dungeon three times to get ten, if you're lucky only twice so be sure to use words that increase item drop rate. That really shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Memory alloys are a shit-hog though.

Totally worth it for Iron Will though. That sword is so massive I feel like I've broken the game :lol

Finally got past the initially boring opening set of sequences-- how many times did I have to go see Popola again? Anyway, definitely very much into this game now and the music is indeed great. I love Grimoire.

CaLe

I'm contemplating getting this game, is the story any good ? I can live with mediocre gameplay (not saying this game has one) if the story is very good. (the short description by the OP got my attention)

It also seems to have a pretty big cult following.

Sacha

CaLe said:
I'm contemplating getting this game, is the story any good ? I can live with mediocre gameplay (not saying this game has one) if the story is very good. (the short description by the OP got my attention)

It also seems to have a pretty big cult following.

The story is very good. Don't hesitate.

brandonh83 said:
Finally got past the initially boring opening set of sequences-- how many times did I have to go see Popola again? Anyway, definitely very much into this game now and the music is indeed great. I love Grimoire.
Popola's involvement plays a really, really big role in terms of the overall narrative. Pay attention to what she says, where she sends you to...

Foxix Von

CaLe said:
Will do, thanks.

Should I get the ps3 or 360 version ? Are there any differences ?
From everything I saw they are both the same. With the sole exception being slightly faster load times on the 360 version.

Someone has also said the ps3 version supports DTS, I can't confirm that though.

Papercuts

Foxix said:
Titanium alloys are actually pretty easy to grind through if you run the dungeon right. Each of the big robots you fight drop one every time. You can fight four of them in a single run plus any that might drop from the regular bots you fight. At the very most you'd have to breeze through the dungeon three times to get ten, if you're lucky only twice so be sure to use words that increase item drop rate. That really shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Memory alloys are a shit-hog though.

Totally worth it for Iron Will though. That sword is so massive I feel like I've broken the game :lol

The phoenix spear was too damn good, I never even used iron will. It also was at the point where I was one shotting the robots that drop the titanium alloy. NG+ "spoilers":
I did find it funny that you needed to get the sword again on each replay, with the extra few lines of text they added of doing it again.

Neuromancer said:
I just bought this game on Amazon for $22 on a whim. Was that a good idea or a bad idea?

It's $15 at gamestop. Still easily worth the price at amazon for me though.

Foxix Von

50 odd hours later:

Oh god I'm done. I'm finally done. Just got endings C/D right now. Not even sure what to say other than: "I'm emotionally, physically, and mentally drained right now. That was amazing. Please leave a message after the Beepy"

Beepy :(

Gravijah

Foxix said:
50 odd hours later:

Oh god I'm done. I'm finally done. Just got endings C/D right now. Not even sure what to say other than: "I'm emotionally, physically, and mentally drained right now. That was amazing. Please leave a message after the Beepy"

Beepy :(

Well, did you backup your saves or did you accept it?

Does anyone know where I can hear the music that plays in the library? The version on the soundtrack has vocals, it's nice but I want the instrumental version handy.

Foxix Von

Gravijah said:
Well, did you backup your saves or did you accept it?

I wasn't going to at first. But then I remembered I had an old 1gig USB stick lying around somewhere so I just dumped everything that was on that one to my bigger one and formatted the 1gig. Nice and backed up now. Even in a convenient form I can wear around my neck! Like keeping sadness on a noose.

Also, does anyone know which of the two final endings is considered canon?

I'm sort of hoping if there's a sequel they get retconned so that Emil can come back and suppress Tyrann, or something. *sheds tear*

Top Bottom