• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

ultron87 said:
You should try Dark Whirlwind sometime. It deals with crowds rather well.

yeah whirlwind was my goto spell for non-bosses and I used lancefor anything big. Anytime I looked like I was getting jumped I got some space, charged it up and cleaned up whatever was left. Early in the game I used the big hand for crowd control and then the one that clones you when I got that. Whirlwind is a lot better because it lasts a pretty long time.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just finished the game for the first time. If NG+ starts of Kaine being petrified I'm not able to revisit first half quests anymore? Could 30 quests achievement thus be fucked?

Coldsnap

Hesemonni said:
Just finished the game for the first time. If NG+ starts of Kaine being petrified I'm not able to revisit first half quests anymore? Could 30 quests achievement thus be fucked?

Nope, there will be plenty of quests available.

Gah, I traded in a stack of games to Amazon and Nier was amongst the stack, got $5.00. It hasn't been mailed out yet and I'm contemplating taking it out, so I can complete some of the achievements I missed.

Foxix Von

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I see this is down to $15 on amazon. Is it worth the $15?

Also, I'm assuming there's no difference between versions as far as better ports?

The best 15 bucks I've spent in... uh... ever.

Totally worth it.

1stStrike

Banned
Pappasman said:
well, i just finished Nier. How much does NG+ change? is the ending completely different?

NG+ is from Kaine's perspective and she can understand what the shades are saying, so all that garbled stuff is understandable now. Also, there's a lot of new dialogue, new cut scenes and a completely different ending (there's also endings C and D as well).

It starts you off after the end of part 1, so you should be able to power through it in a few hours if you don't do any quests. Well worth it believe me.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Do they charge for shipping? My friend is interested in getting it from there if it doesn't just bring it back to the $15 everyone else is charging.

1stStrike

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Do they charge for shipping? My friend is interested in getting it from there if it doesn't just bring it back to the $15 everyone else is charging.

Wtf? Seriously? The game is easily worth more then even $15. It's not like you're getting Lost Planet 2 or some other bullshit game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
1stStrike said:
Wtf? Seriously? The game is easily worth more then even $15. It's not like you're getting Lost Planet 2 or some other bullshit game.
I'm just trying to save my friend some money. He's a student and there isn't a lot to go around for games, but he's ordering from there anyways so no problems.

Ashkeloth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I see this is down to $15 on amazon. Is it worth the $15?

Also, I'm assuming there's no difference between versions as far as better ports?

This is one of the few games I actually feel i didn't pay enough for. I got it for £15 2 weeks after release because it bombed so hard and wish I could send Cavia the other £25 I feel like I owe them.

Speaking of Cavia, after their unfortunate fate, is there any chance of this game getting a sequel at all? What has happened to the key members of the team that worked on this game?

You'd think with the ending, the answer would be no, but this game is technically a sequel to Drakengard, and with how that ended, I bet no one thought there would be a sequel to that too (Let's all forget about Drakengard 2).

1stStrike

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
I'm just trying to save my friend some money. He's a student and there isn't a lot to go around for games, but he's ordering from there anyways so no problems.

As Ash said, he'll probably wish he could give Cavia the rest of the money for the game. It's one of the few games that is well worth full price.

Ashkeloth said:
You'd think with the ending, the answer would be no, but this game is technically a sequel to Drakengard, and with how that ended, I bet no one thought there would be a sequel to that too (Let's all forget about Drakengard 2).
Whats wrong with Drakengard 2? It's got way better gameplay then 1.

Yoshiya

Ashkeloth said:
Speaking of Cavia, after their unfortunate fate, is there any chance of this game getting a sequel at all? What has happened to the key members of the team that worked on this game?
Yoko Taro quit from AQ and is now unemployed and posting on Twitter all day ;_; MONACA and Emi Evans seem to be doing well, having elevated their profiles through the OST's acclaim.

And yeah, I paid 15 pounds and feel like I ripped them off :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
1stStrike said:
As Ash said, he'll probably wish he could give Cavia the rest of the money for the game. It's one of the few games that is well worth full price.
As would I. I'm buying Replicant as well anyways so It'll more than make up for the cheapness of this version.

EDIT: Ending C: ;____; NOOOOOOO! Time for Ending D. >:

EDIT2: ;____;

Foxix Von

InfiniteNine said:
As would I. I'm buying Replicant as well anyways so It'll more than make up for the cheapness of this version.

EDIT: Ending C: ;____; NOOOOOOO! Time for Ending D. >:

EDIT2: ;____;

At least
Yonah lives! Well for a while anyway :( But at any rate you've still got Kainé and Emil... That's worth something right? I wish there was a more effective means of consoling an individual across the interwebs...

After beating the game did anyone else have the heavy rain tagline pop into their heads?

"How far would you go to save someone you love?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The entire cast of characters in Nier is incredibly young -older (Gestalt) Nier really sticks out like sore thumb.

Its another throwback to the original "storybook" concept and is pegged in by a few telling details in the (Grimoire Nier) timeline such as child soldiers being used in the original crisis to fight Legion.

The are numerous allusions to children's fiction scattered throughout the game and its additional materials... its one of the central recurring motifs of the plot.

Honestly, allusive really sums up the writing in Nier to a T. It tells you a little, but implies a whole lot more -usually an abstract or metaphorical connection to something else. Its why its such a hard game to analyse, especially if you factor in all the extra-game material.

Foxix said:
Yonah lives! Well for a while anyway :( But at any rate you've still got Kainé and Emil... That's worth something right? I wish there was a more effective means of consoling an individual across the interwebs...

More spoilers! Whee!

For some reason I picture Emil still rollin' rollin' rollin' along long after the world has ended, still smiling that hideous smile, depressed as all fuck. Cavia has left us all with this lasting image. Dude should just start making cameos in other games like Super Monkey Ball.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Was in Gamestop last evening, and saw that this is now $10 bucks if you buy used. What in the HELL are you waiting for???

Wool

yyyeeeeeeEEESSS! I have now caught every type of fish in the game! I got pretty introspective last night at about 4am while in fishing quest 8. "Why am I still awake, staring at the screen catching virtual fish? Is this even fun? What is my motivation?" Luckily I got past all those silly questions and caught the legendary
Rhizodont

1stStrike

Banned
rdelaney said:
yyyeeeeeeEEESSS! I have now caught every type of fish in the game! I got pretty introspective last night at about 4am while in fishing quest 8. "Why am I still awake, staring at the screen catching virtual fish? Is this even fun? What is my motivation?" Luckily I got past all those silly questions and caught the legendary
Rhizodont

Sir, you are my hero. :p

There's a NIER LP going on over at the SomethingAwful forums by the same guy who did Drakengard 1's LP, if anyone is on the fence about the game.

I think I just realized that Shadowlord is my favorite song in any videogame I have ever played in my life. Just listened to the soundtrack from beginning to end again tonight and that song still absolutely blows me away. I mean, even if I hadn't ever played the game before I would still be impressed, but thinking back on the story of Nier while listening brings it all back and gives me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrV_9GHlpVM

Also, listening to the OST in DTS Neo 6 on my reciever sounded goddamn amazing!

1stStrike

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
I think I just realized that Shadowlord is my favorite song in any videogame I have ever played in my life. Just listened to the soundtrack from beginning to end again tonight and that song still absolutely blows me away. I mean, even if I hadn't ever played the game before I would still be impressed, but thinking back on the story of Nier while listening brings it all back and gives me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrV_9GHlpVM

Also, listening to the OST in DTS Neo 6 on my reciever sounded goddamn amazing!

Shadowlord is great, but my favorites are definitely gods bound by rules and temple of drifting sands. The vocals in temples of drifting sands still give me shivers on the highs.

trejo

My favorite track has to be Song of the Ancients / Fate. I mean, you hear about three versions of it throughout the game, all of them really mellow and peaceful. And then at the end they all culminate in this really powerful, majestic one just exploding with energy.

I was left without words when it played in-game.

1stStrike said:
Shadowlord is great, but my favorites are definitely gods bound by rules and temple of drifting sands. The vocals in temples of drifting sands still give me shivers on the highs.

Gods Bound By Rules is fantastic. iirc the boss where that song was used is when the game finally clicked with me and made rush to finish. Perhaps had I not gotten to that boss/song the game may have been left shelved and abandoned. Can't deny its one of my faves as well.

1stStrike

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
Gods Bound By Rules is fantastic. iirc the boss where that song was used is when the game finally clicked with me and made rush to finish. Perhaps had I not gotten to that boss/song the game may have been left shelved and abandoned. Can't deny its one of my faves as well.

Yeah, Gods Bound by Rules was the song that made me buy the game when I heard it in the trailer ^_^

I also loved that boss fight.

I have yet to beat the last mission in the DLC, though. I almost got it and then I got slammed by the last boss on the last level and died :(

trejo said:
My favorite track has to be Song of the Ancients / Fate. I mean, you hear about three versions of it throughout the game, all of them really mellow and peaceful. And then at the end they all culminate in this really powerful, majestic one just exploding with energy.

I was left without words when it played in-game.

Lost Androids Mixuxux off the arrange album would be right up your alley, then. I love all the energy in that remix and the vocals are used really well throughout.

GrumpyAlien said:
I think I just realized that Shadowlord is my favorite song in any videogame I have ever played in my life.

I hear ya. When it was played ingame it completely blew me away. The part where it turns into a battle song happened so spot on it made my spine tingle.

MechaX

ZephyrFate said:
There's a NIER LP going on over at the SomethingAwful forums by the same guy who did Drakengard 1's LP, if anyone is on the fence about the game.

This is what I have been waiting for! His Resident Evil series, Drakengard, and Chrono Cross LPs were hilarious.

Gravijah

TranceKuja said:
I hear ya. When it was played ingame it completely blew me away. The part where it turns into a battle song happened so spot on it made my spine tingle.

The OST versions of the songs really don't do them justice. I love how the songs transform in game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm enjoying it so far. The only thing that really sticks out as a sore thumb is the shitty texture filtering, and the sidequests, almost all of which are really bad fetch quests.

Also, this game seems to end on a depressing note every single time. Like the sidequest where the old dude wants you to go and find his dog, and
you find the dog dead, and it turns out the dog was searching for medicine for the old man, and then the old man dies.[/spoilers]

I did the lighthouse lady quest. Question,
what difference does the option you pick make? I chose to give her the letter and make her life happy. What does telling her that her lover is dead do?

EatChildren said:
I did the lighthouse lady quest. Question,
what difference does the option you pick make? I chose to give her the letter and make her life happy. What does telling her that her lover is dead do?

I told her the truth and she said that she suspected the letters had been faked and told me not to tell the townspeople that she now knew since they had worked so long to keep her happy. Then she died. I don't think there's any difference except for dialogue.

Durante

The lighthouse questline ending was one of the hardest moral choices I ever had to make in any game. Sure, there aren't any important consequences, but I still agonized over it for some time.

That and the one with the gem, to a lesser extent. Each option has drawbacks, but I like that there was no clear correct answer and it's okay to do what you feel is right.

Giard

Just finished Ending A...pretty good game. Small question just to be sure I understood correctly what's going on:
During the tutorial, you were the Shadowlord, right? After that you're a clone that is supposed to receive his soul so he can kinda reincarnate. Did I understand correctly?

edit: nvm, will wait to check the other endings

Top Bottom