• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Coldsnap said:
So after I've beaten it twice and taken a week break of playing it to let it digest, I can say I really really like this game. I'm glad there are some people spreading the word of this game because I would have looked over it for sure.

same here, picked this up after Christmas after it got so much love on GAF with GOTY nominations and it's really been a plesant surprise and if I had to do my GOTY list over this would be 3rd or 4th and I just started Part 2.

heringer

I'll ask for recommendations here since now I know you guys have great taste.

So, what other JRPG's did you like this generation? I'm thinking about buying Resonance of Fate, Infinite Undiscovery or The Last Remnant soon.

Risette

A Good Citizen
heringer said:

So, what other JRPG's did you like this generation? I'm thinking about buying Resonance of Fate, Infinite Undiscovery or The Last Remnant soon.
Resonance of Fate is really good. I'd recommend that.

Coldsnap

heringer said:

I really liked Lost Odyssey, I actually see a lot of similarities between Nier and Lost Odyssey. I enjoyed Lost Odyssey more which says a lot. It has a great story and characters you can sympathize with like Nier. The interactive novels are better done too.

Lard

Banned
Finished Ending A last night. Really enjoyed the game overall.

Two complaints. Well....quibbles really, because they didn't really stop me from enjoying the game.

1) The magic system. It seemed like there was a good variety of spells to use, but I really only ended up using three spells - Dark Lance, Dark Hand and Dark somethingorother (The one that fires quick "magic arrows" or whatever you want to call them). I didn't really find the other ones that useful.

2)
Popola and Devola's "turn" or whatever you want to call it came out of nowhere and was really Shymalanish. I figured something with humanity was wrong as soon as I recognised the Shadow Lord's Tower as the building from the beginning, and had no issue with humans being shades. Devola and Popola just seemed forced though.

Overall, really great.

It's funny how people complain JRPGs are stale, this comes along and it gets mediocre reviews.

I sometimes think if this had been released by a Western developer, it would be getting heaps of praise.

Yoshiya

heringer said:
I enjoyed TLR, but the PC version is the only one worth playing. The plot is atrocious; the game very much lives and dies on the success of its battle system, which will make you love and game sometimes and others hate it. Resonance of Fate is similarly challenging with an unconventional battle system, but is a better designed game with far, far better characters, voice acting and plot.

1stStrike

Banned
heringer said:

I played The Last Remnant on PC. Terrible story, bad voice acting, fantastic combat. The battle system was awesome. I really enjoyed it, and some of the later dungeons have some insane battles. But, yeah, don't expect much out of the story. It's all predictable and cliche and you'll see the ending coming a mile away.

Other then that, I haven't really found any other JRPG's that have been able to captivate me like Nier in recent times. Just not much out there doing it for me anymore.

Cday

Banned
I don't have a problem with the graphics or even the Forest of Myth but I do think they should have spent some more time making certain characters like Yonah and the King of Facade look less generic.

That said this game really surprised me; especially the second half. I'm definitely going to go through for ending B soon.

Started NG+ and played for about an hour, I can already see that there is already added insight which is quite interesting and adds another layer to the story. Good stuff.

Trying not to spend too much time in this thread due to fear of spoilers but I just did the forest and the manor. Pretty cool how different they are to the rest of the game.

Wool

I just started part 2. Are the quests any better in the second half? I got up to about 43% in part 1, but a lot of the quests seem like they were just made to see how angry they can make the player, especially the
missing son quest

1stStrike

Banned
rdelaney said:
I just started part 2. Are the quests any better in the second half? I got up to about 43% in part 1, but a lot of the quests seem like they were just made to see how angry they can make the player, especially the
missing son quest

lol they really fuck with you on the quests. It really doesn't get any better, but there are some that are definitely worth doing (especially the lighthouse one).

Neuromancer said:
Trying not to spend too much time in this thread due to fear of spoilers but I just did the forest and the manor. Pretty cool how different they are to the rest of the game.
Yeah there is a lot of unique shit. You haven't even reached the best half of the game!

heringer said:

Like Coldsnap said, Nier made me think of Lost Odyssey a lot too. LO is a pretty good game, I didn't beat it all the way, but some stuff is really impressive like Nier, and just like Nier those parts are usually done in plain text :p

Resonance of Fate and Last Remnant are huge timesinks in which you'll have to invest a lot of patience to even understand the basic battle system. Both were a bit too much for me.

heringer

Thanks for the responses guys.

I did played Lost Odyssey. It's a decent game, but I'm not a big fan. It eventually became really boring to me. The battle system, world and story weren't compelling enough (except for the little novels, that are exceptionally) to keep me going, so I gave up around the third disc.

Since The Last Remnant's story has such a bad rep, I'll scratch it from the list.

Any other I should be looking for? Magna Carta 2, Eternal Sonata?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
heringer said:

Valkyria Chronicles.

Yoshiya

Was thinking a link to this would be a worthwhile addition to the OP. Perhaps also a link to the GOTY results thread, it was extremely impressive such a relatively niche game managed to place.

I'm gonna start this game today, anything I should know for my first playthrough? Things I could miss, things I should do so I can get all the endings?

Beat the game late last night for the first time (Ending A), what a great game with a memorable story and characters. Played past the intro for NG+ and enjoyed the Kaine backstory. Read a good bit of that Grimoire Noir compilation today and really got the gist of what they were trying to convey with the story. Not sure I feel like getting Ending B after all the reading of spoilers and Noir today.

mAcOdIn

I just beat the game for the first time a few hours ago myself. Tried to start the newgame as well but the intro was taking too long and I had to go to work.
I didn't finish all the quests the first time around but hopefully it recognizes I finished all the first half quests once I get back into the game.

heringer

Got the ending B now.

The second time the game's story is even more powerfull. :(

Also, is there new cutscenes and dialogues in the next play throughs (C and D)? Or is it only the ending that changes? Getting all the weapons will be tedious. :(

ultron87

Lard said:
1) The magic system. It seemed like there was a good variety of spells to use, but I really only ended up using three spells - Dark Lance, Dark Hand and Dark somethingorother (The one that fires quick "magic arrows" or whatever you want to call them). I didn't really find the other ones that useful.

You should try Dark Whirlwind sometime. It deals with crowds rather well.

heringer said:
Got the ending B now.

The second time the game's story is even more powerfull. :(

Also, is there new cutscenes and dialogues in the next play throughs (C and D)? Or is it only the ending that changes? Getting all the weapons will be tedious. :(
Only the ending changes.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Do I really need all the weapons? I tried doing some of the quests for the second portion on route B and the items are missing from their spots now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Getting all the weapons isn't too bad a time sink, it only requires a few side-quests and enough cash to buy everything else.

The C/D endings are worth playing for. Youtubing them just doesn't have the same impact for obvious reasons... :D

This game is the one that stuck with me the most out of last years crop. Actually, I suppose its one of the few that has stuck with me in the past few years. It was really quite thoughtful.

Sagitario said:
Do you get the opportunity to fight the bosses again?
They are so freaking fun and I would like to try the time achievements.
Only the bosses in part two. Have you finished the game? Your post is a bit ambiguous in that regard.

Sagitario

I haven't finished it yet.

Just got
Kainé
back [I guess this is the start of part two] after
Emil
absorbed
his sister

I asked because there are some achievements that say "Defeat X boss in Y time" and those bosses are from the first part of the game.

Sagitario said:
I asked because there are some achievements that say "Defeat X boss in Y time" and those bosses are from the first part of the game.

All achievement-related bosses are from the second part of the game.
So it's perfectly alright to wait until your stats are ridiculous so you can one-shot everyone.

Timber

So ending D is where everyone lives happily ever after in some peaceful idyll, and there's a big celebration with dancing and fireworks and the whole shebang, and all the characters hold hands and smile and wave at the camera as it zooms out, right? RIGHT? This game is starting to depress me.

Timber said:
So ending D is where everyone lives happily ever after in some peaceful idyll, and there's a big celebration with dancing and fireworks and the whole shebang, and all the characters hold hands and smile and wave at the camera as it zooms out, right? RIGHT? This game is starting to depress me.

Hahahahahahahahahahah

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Timber said:

Even if that was the ending, the way Nier goes would probably make the fireworks duds that explode instead of launching, lighting the world aflame showing everyone holding hands before they burn to death.

Top Bottom