• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So how do I even beat the boss in the Aerie on hard mode? Wendy that is. I mean I can hold my ground but nothing I do seems to damage the mofo. :( Hadn't had any real trouble on hard mode until this.

Gravijah

Giard said:
Just finished Ending A...pretty good game. Small question just to be sure I understood correctly what's going on:
During the tutorial, you were the Shadowlord, right? After that you're a clone that is supposed to receive his soul so he can kinda reincarnate. Did I understand correctly?

Most people don't want to answer this because the other playthrough/endings add a lot to the story.

Done with ending D and thanks to that, done with the entire game.

I didn't expect to beat this four times when I bought it, but looks like I did.

Whenever people ask me what I think of the game it's hard for me to put into words, but ending D actually gave me the perfect way te describe it.

Something very special.

Hesemonni

Banned
On consecutive playthroughs this game really makes you feel
crap about yourself
doesn't it? :/ Currently about to reach B ending.

E: I must say I'm feeling a little bit burnt of all the replaying. Is there any new story during for endings C & D ? Because I was thinking of just watching the ending clips in YouTube...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I almost wish Rain Of Light played on the title screen after ending D
along with the Lunar Tear

Its a really nice, warm, arrangement, been listening to it myself a bunch of times today. I'm slightly surprised it didn't make it onto the remix album.

And please guys, don't short-change yourself by just youtubing C/D endings. Its interactive for very good reasons... back your saves up before-hand and go with your heart.

PS. I had the misfortune of belatedly listening the the Active Time Babble end-of-year podcast earlier today where they spoiler Nier's NG+ in the most blunt and destructive way possible.
I also didn't appreciate the derisive comment about the "Nier people"... Like this game is somehow undeserving of having a fanbase and therefore anyone who (God forbid) actually likes it is a crank.

Nice guys, real classy...

Thanks to this thread, the promise of excellent music and a good script and Laura Bailey's involvement I have returned from Gamestop with a "new" copy. Yay "Team I've got 10+ games to play through but I lack the time and yet continue buying games any way" :l

1stStrike

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Thanks to this thread, the promise of excellent music and a good script and Laura Bailey's involvement I have returned from Gamestop with a "new" copy. Yay "Team I've got 10+ games to play through but I lack the time and yet continue buying games any way" :l

Woot. You can't go wrong with Nier :p

1stStrike said:
Woot. You can't go wrong with Nier :p
It's just particularly bad cause I'm still in the midst of playing through 999 and Ghost Trick which I picked up 3 days ago or so. That and the stack of games I've bought but hardly played through. Oh, and god Gamestop is horrible, their new copy was opened, had nasty stickers that can't be peeled off without leaving sticky residue and the case is gouged in places... Ugh. :l

Regardless, I look forward to playing it. I just lament that it has multiple endings like 999.

Gravijah

It's just particularly bad cause I'm still in the midst of playing through 999 and Ghost Trick which I picked up 3 days ago or so. That and the stack of games I've bought but hardly played through. Oh, and god Gamestop is horrible, their new copy was opened, had nasty stickers that can't be peeled off without leaving sticky residue and the case is gouged in places... Ugh. :l

Regardless, I look forward to playing it. I just lament that it has multiple endings like 999.

I dunno how 999 works, but the good thing is there aren't really choices or having to do x y z in some order or anything.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Well you don't do a full replay for the other endings since it starts you off at around the halfway point in the game after you make your clear save so that'll take some time off that and your levels should make things easier with each playthrough.

Thanks for clarifying on the nature of how to acquire the multiple endings. 999 greys out previous dialogue choices and allows you to skip text you've already read, speeding up the replay aspect tremendously. I'm glad to know that you won't have to replay the entirety of Nier. The thing about 999 is that multiple replays are ABSOLUTELY required to understand the game's plot, are Nier's of a similar nature, or are they good/bad endings?

Durante

It's just particularly bad cause I'm still in the midst of playing through 999 and Ghost Trick which I picked up 3 days ago or so.
You should play one of those after Nier. Way better overall emotional balance :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This started out as one of the worst games I had played in years and then ended up being surprisingly great.

Square Enix should really consider polishing the first half of their games.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nirolak said:
This started out as one of the worst games I had played in years and then ended up being surprisingly great.

Square Enix should really consider polishing the first half of their games.
Square Enix didn't make this game though!

Yoshiya

Nirolak said:
Right, but they control the budget, which determines whether the developer can go back and polish the first half of their game.
This is true. On a game like Nier the budget would have been tiny; it's impressive Cavia actually managed to create a PS3/360 game that is technically sound and not have to retarget for PSP, like the rest of the industry did.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nirolak said:
Right, but they control the budget, which determines whether the developer can go back and polish the first half of their game.
Very true, if the formers of Cavia make anything else in this universe I hope they give them a better budget to back it.

Yoshiya

chaostrophy said:
They should let Yoko Taro direct FFXV.
They should to a FFXIII Yoko Taro cut edition and
have it end with Cocoon crashing directly into the ground, the party inside. Killing literally every person in the world would probably be about right.

I'm sure it's 100% true that you don't really have the whole story of Nier without playing NG+. I just don't care to know the whole story, I'm fine with not playing the rest of it. Playing NG+ isn't going to change my mind on the game.

Hell, I'm happy you like Nier. It's cool, it's not a terrible game or anything. I myself just don't like it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got this, but I guess there's no real way to change your name without starting over? I used my own name and now it's kinda distracting.

I just started it up and finished that weird boss at the beginning and holy shit... My chest literally hurts from laughing at the main character's stupid ass jumping animation I mean, WTF lmao

Rufus

My chest literally hurts from laughing at the main character's stupid ass jumping animation I mean, WTF lmao
Yeah, he does look like some sort of chimp when he leaps into the air like that.

It's not only the goofy (and utterly wimpy) way he jumps but that double jump where he sticks his chest out as if to gain inertia just killed me lol the music seems awesome so far, but all I'm doing is fetching mutton and medicine. Hope it picks up soon

Edit: I got kicked by the sheep And the gore lmao oh man.. This game... Hahaha

It's not only the goofy (and utterly wimpy) way he jumps but that double jump where he sticks his chest out as if to gain inertia just killed me lol the music seems awesome so far, but all I'm doing is fetching mutton and medicine. Hope it picks up soon

Edit: I got kicked by the sheep And the gore lmao oh man.. This game... Hahaha
picks up big time

Clear said:
Here's a nice little find from Youtube, an additional mix of Kaine's theme found only on the Gestalt promo mini-album.

Kaine / Rain Of Light

Enjoy.

I can pretty much enjoy any version of Kaine as long as they keep the vocals.

In general, Nier has some of the few tracks in videogames where I would rather hear a version with vocals than an instrumental version.

Just beat the game (first playthrough.)

What the hell happened?! Is there a place where I can read up on it or should I just dive into playthrough 2?

Neuromancer said:

What the hell happened?! Is there a place where I can read up on it or should I just dive into playthrough 2?
What didn't you get? I thought the main plot was pretty basic and easy to follow, but the details take more paying attention, and more importantly NG+ will help you understand those details more closely. Then again NG+ could confuse you if you don't understand things like
what shades are.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Neuromancer said:

Well go on through the 2nd play through and if you still don't get it read up on Grimoire Nier. Actually you should probably just get all the endings first since it spoils some of them.

Top Bottom