• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

iammeiam

Neuromancer said:
Just beat the game (first playthrough.)

What the hell happened?! Is there a place where I can read up on it or should I just dive into playthrough 2?

Go for playthrough 2. You get a lot of added perspective, and any real discussion of the story involves things shown/clarified in there.

I honestly wish the game reset after ending A, and forced you through the first New Game+ prior to hitting the end credits the first time.

Is NG+ the same thing as loading my clear save? It said something about experiencing Kaine's story.

Also is the DLC worth getting (World of Recycled Vessel)? If so when should I play that?

Neuromancer said:
Is NG+ the same thing as loading my clear save? It said something about experiencing Kaine's story.

Also is the DLC worth getting (World of Recycled Vessel)? If so when should I play that?
You just load up your save file and NG+ will begin, it starts off in the second half of the game.

Yoshiya

Kaine/Rain of Light sounds like it could have appeared on the SE christmas remix album. Certainly one of the cheerier sounding pieces of music created for the game; says a lot that it was never used hahaha.

Yoshiya

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm in the first dungeon and man, the lack of an automated camera is kinda bothersome :l
When the camera controls are functional (as I think they are in Nier), I've always preferred manual control.

Syril

I'm in the first dungeon and man, the lack of an automated camera is kinda bothersome :l

There's a setting in the options for how automated you want the camera to be. It defaults to zero.

Ah excellent, I'll fiddle with that. I was getting pretty annoyed with having to constantly recenter the camera.
I don't recall having to do that much at all......maybe it was natural for me so I didn't notice, who knows. Or you're crazy!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't recall having to do that much at all......maybe it was natural for me so I didn't notice, who knows. Or you're crazy!
I think he's crazy since I didn't have a problem with it at all. I didn't even know the camera could be automated!

Yoshiya

InfiniteNine said:
I think he's crazy since I didn't have a problem with it at all. I didn't even know the camera could be automated!
Same. With dual stick controls, I just find I automatically adjust the right stick in proportion to what I'm doing with the left stick. Automated or fixed camera systems I find irritating and disengaging.

I suppose it's because I'm used to a camera system that either automatically centers behind the character, or a lock on system ala Zelda, DMC etc and most games of that sort feature a dedicated look button and don't allow you to adjust the pitch and yaw of the camera on the fly unless you're "looking". It just felt really loose and I had to constantly recenter the controls and found myself looking at the sky or something while I was running around the village section. I'm sure I'll acclimate so it's not a dealbreaker.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Reading this thread completely sparked my interest in this game, since I heard so many negative things about it and never bothered to try it. It hooked me at the beginning despite a rough start, but it really starts steamrolling along after a few hours.

The boss battles are fantastic! I just beat the multi-titted boss with Kaine the second time, what an epic. Really well-directed, can't wait to see the rest of them.

1stStrike

Banned
mattiewheels said:
Reading this thread completely sparked my interest in this game, since I heard so many negative things about it and never bothered to try it. It hooked me at the beginning despite a rough start, but it really starts steamrolling along after a few hours.

The boss battles are fantastic! I just beat the multi-titted boss with Kaine the second time, what an epic. Really well-directed, can't wait to see the rest of them.

Welcome to the club :p We're small, but dedicated. Just wait until you get to the desert temple :)

What do you guys think accounts for the average scores this game received? Rough visuals and presentation is all I can really think of. Everything else (story, characters, music) were excellent I thought.

Cday

Banned
Neuromancer said:
What do you guys think accounts for the average scores this game received? Rough visuals and presentation is all I can really think of.

Not playing through the whole game before reviewing it and the usual "this doesn't look or play like a AAA game" knee jerk reaction.

1stStrike

Banned
Neuromancer said:
What do you guys think accounts for the average scores this game received? Rough visuals and presentation is all I can really think of. Everything else (story, characters, music) were excellent I thought.

Playing 4 hours of the game and judging it on that, playing far too many games (if you start reviewing games for a living they no longer become fun after a while like anything else), etc.

It just basically didn't get a proper chance because it's not one of those games that had 50 million dollars behind it.

@Dynamite: Weiss will be your favorite or one of your favorite characters before long :)

This is the generation that has 100% made me lose faith in reviews and all that. It's happened with more than just this game. I pretty much only go to reviews for shooters since that's all they seem to know and are willing to spend time on.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Am I the only one who hears James Mason (North By Northwest, Lolita) when Weiss talks? The actor does an uncanny impression.

Also, have to say that one of the more interesting ideas I've seen so far is the shmup-as-rpg stuff. It works so well with the drastic camera changes.

Just got my B ending right now. Didn't take that long and am kinda kicking myself I didn't do it sooner.
I didn't know the small round shades were babies. That was pretty creepy and made me feel bad when they appeared after the room with the dancers. Also, I shed well-deserved tear when it shows Shadowlord/original Nier back in the place at the beginning of the game with his daughter. That brought it all full circle for me. And looking up as I type this WTF at Emil's head rolling around?! That was a pleasant surprise to see that he survived.

I doubt I will continue and play towards endings C&D though (but I will youtube them). Nier has been one of the most memorable games I have played in recent years and has a story and soundtrack that moved me in ways that games rarely do.

Am I the only one who hears James Mason (North By Northwest, Lolita) when Weiss talks? The actor does an uncanny impression.

Yeah he does sound a lot like James Mason now that you mention it.

So I meet Kaine and get to fight off a giant salamander with throat tumors resembling giant clay pots? 2010 GOTY I say! Also, Laura's voice is quite the departure from Rise in Persona 4, this, I like.

1stStrike

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
Just got my B ending right now. Didn't take that long and am kinda kicking myself I didn't do it sooner.
I didn't know the small round shades were babies. That was pretty creepy and made me feel bad when they appeared after the room with the dancers. Also, I shed well-deserved tear when it shows Shadowlord/original Nier back in the place at the beginning of the game with his daughter. That brought it all full circle for me. And looking up as I type this WTF at Emil's head rolling around?! That was a pleasant surprise to see that he survived.

I doubt I will continue and play towards endings C&D though (but I will youtube them). Nier has been one of the most memorable games I have played in recent years and has a story and soundtrack that moved me in ways that games rarely do.

Yeah he does sound a lot like James Mason now that you mention it.

Yeah, I also kicked myself for delaying my ending B as long as I did. I usually don't replay games, but Nier makes NG+ easy to get through and WORTH it. I enjoyed all the new content and finally felt like the story was complete after getting ending B.

So I meet Kaine and get to fight off a giant salamander with throat tumors resembling giant clay pots? 2010 GOTY I say! Also, Laura's voice is quite the departure from Rise in Persona 4, this, I like.
That's not what I thought they looked like

(Dangly boobs)

1stStrike said:
Yeah, I also kicked myself for delaying my ending B as long as I did. I usually don't replay games, but Nier makes NG+ easy to get through and WORTH it. I enjoyed all the new content and finally felt like the story was complete after getting ending B.
Do I have to focus on doing anything out of the ordinary to get that ending? Or should I just play through as I normally would? I am not a rabid completionist kind of guy but I don't want to get a bad ending or anything either.

sonicmj1

Neuromancer said:
That's not what I thought they looked like

(Dangly boobs)

Do I have to focus on doing anything out of the ordinary to get that ending? Or should I just play through as I normally would? I am not a rabid completionist kind of guy but I don't want to get a bad ending or anything either.

B ending is just NG+.

C/D requires you to get ending B, and then on your next run, have all the weapons, which isn't particularly hard.

rSpooky

Just picked this up yesterday, did not expect the Fbomb to be dropped right when the title screen loads in ..lol
If I had known I would have turned the volume down what and made sure the kids were bed.

Like the game so far.. but I am in the very early stages (about 1.30 hrs in)
Hate the usual go find a save point before you can quit for the night setup , but hey,,

mAcOdIn

rSpooky said:
Just picked this up yesterday, did not expect the Fbomb to be dropped right when the title screen loads in ..lol
If I had known I would have turned the volume down what and made sure the kids were bed.
Yeah, I recommended this game to a coworker and I made sure to tell him that because I was kinda shocked how soon it starts with the language.

My only gripe regarding this game is how it kinda mellows out in the second half of your first playthrough, there just seems to be less of Kaine talking, which sucks, just not as much voice acting in the second half, but no matter, still a great game.

mattiewheels

Couple of questions: Where do I start planting all these seeds I'm finding? I figured there would have been a tutorial by now. And since the word system can be kind of overwhelming, am I doing myself harm by just using the 'equip best' option?

(I just started the Forest area, the text stuff is awesome! Very unique.)

trejo

mattiewheels said:
Couple of questions: Where do I start planting all these seeds I'm finding? I figured there would have been a tutorial by now. And since the word system can be kind of overwhelming, am I doing myself harm by just using the 'equip best' option?

(I just started the Forest area, the text stuff is awesome! Very unique.)
I don't remember the game ever explaining how gardening works. I also never ever bothered doing it.

ultron87

trejo said:
I don't remember the game ever explaining how gardening works. I also never ever bothered doing it.

I think you need to finish some sidequest before you can start planting. And then it is just like "you can plant stuff. Whoo." Not that planting is ever actually worth it.

The way the game tells you some stuff in tutorials is just hilarious. The one I remember is the tip "You can pick up shiny items on the ground!" that it gives you ten hours in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Neuromancer said:
Anyone know how this game sold (NA, EU or JP)?
Japan:
PS3: 127,649
360: 18,616

Elsewhere:
Gamasutra said:
Gamasutra: It's interesting to see that Nier has become a cult hit in America; it's not exactly a huge game, but it's got some buzz. The New York Times wrote a review calling attention to how great the story is. Did you expect that kind of reaction, and are you satisfied with the title?

Yoichi Wada: Yes, I thought it would be a cult hit, but I'm saying this as a gamer -- not as the president of the company. As a CEO, my instruction was to make it a major hit. But this Nier team, they just do cult hits. (laughs)
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5892/square_enix_in_2010_president_.php?page=3

rSpooky

GRMBL @#!#* I am stuck on the frekking fishing part. Cant get it done .. this sucks.
I cannot get it done.. tried to just buy the fish .. but noooo.

rSpooky said:
GRMBL @#!#* I am stuck on the frekking fishing part. Cant get it done .. this sucks.

Go fish at the red X on your map (on the beach) instead of off the pier next to the old man.

iammeiam

rSpooky said:

Make sure you're fishing in the right spot. The only person I remember having trouble with fishing was the Joystiq guy, who was not fishing on the X and so was fishing multiple levels above where he should be.

rSpooky

iammeiam said:
Make sure you're fishing in the right spot. The only person I remember having trouble with fishing was the Joystiq guy, who was not fishing on the X and so was fishing multiple levels above where he should be.

I was on th ebeach but perhaps a bit off. will try this.. thx for the tip

Hesemonni

Banned
rSpooky said:
I too tried fishing at the wrong spot for hours...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nier sold comparably to Valkyria Chronicles, not great but probably enough to justify a PSP (or other low-cost platform) sequel/spin-off.

I can't imagine Nier was a particularly expensive project either, so I doubt its sales expectations were ever in the same bracket as a big SE release. Putting out a second soundtrack shows it definitely didn't bomb.

Top Bottom