• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

gdt5016 said:
Just helped out the blind boy, digging this game (with reservations of course). The narrative hasn't really kicked in gear yet, but I LOVED those short stories/dreams I got in The Forest of Myth.

I adore the music. One of the best game soundtracks ever.
Yeah it really is. That 'overworld' theme is amazing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Goddamnit. Looked up a video of the wolves scenes from NG+ to watch it again. Why did I do that. Whyyyyyyy.

;_;

gdt

Okay, have two questions.

I just re-vistited Facade, and The King's
wife was killed by the wolves
. But, I had subtitles off (I always do), and I had no idea what the King was saying (I got the gist of it though). If I had has subs on, would I've been able to read what he was saying?

Also, after that, I decided to go back to Junk Heap to pick my my new sword, and help that guy out with a request.

Now, I'm in the mountain with no idea where to find the
shade and his robot
. B1? B2?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gdt5016 said:

. But, I had subtitles off (I always do), and I had no idea what the King was saying (I got the gist of it though). If I had has subs on, would I've been able to read what he was saying?

Also, after that, I decided to go back to Junk Heap to pick my my new sword, and help that guy out with a request.

shade and his robot
. B1? B2?

Yes, you would have got the dialogue in sub form. Its a poor move on the developers half. I did it too, and didn't get a lot of that dialogue until the second run, so make sure to turn on subs now.

If you want to know what is said, it's more or less
"I lived a happy life rar rar" "noo the wolves will pay nooo"

And B2, but not in the same direction you originally went. Go on the cart thing.

gdt5016 said:

shade and his robot
. B1? B2?
Subtitles would show what's he's saying or anyone living in Facade.
P-33 is in B2, do some bullet hell shooting and keep going.
I done that area so many times............

gdt

EatChildren said:
Yes, you would have got the dialogue in sub form. Its a poor move on the developers half. I did it too, and didn't get a lot of that dialogue until the second run, so make sure to turn on subs now.

If you want to know what is said, it's more or less
"I lived a happy life rar rar" "noo the wolves will pay nooo"

And B2, but not in the same direction you originally went. Go on the cart thing.

Thanks. But I got on the cart last time too!

Lame that they didn't automatically put on subs when a different language was on. That should be 101.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I've been following the long play on SA, and, having read through a bunch of side-quests I missed on my playthroughs (and other miscellaneous bits) my admiration for Nier has risen even higher.

Its a tragedy that this game was such a low-budget affair, the ideas are fucking genius. There's so much detail and foreshadowing that I failed to pick up on in the first half of the game, and reading the sidequests as illustrated mini-stories I can really see how tremendously cohesive everything is.

Its fair to say that gameplay-wise the sidequests were very cut-and-paste, but the value is there in the writing and dialogue, how darkly inventive it as at subverting the outcome of each tale and often putting the player in a moral quicksand. The "Lighthouse Lady" quest line being a fantastic example.

So underrated.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished the pink moonflower quest, the research project quest and the first two parts of the DLC. Now all that remains is the kitchen knife quest and the final part of the DLC, and I'm good to go to finish my first playthrough.

Just finished a few minutes ago :D

nier1000-1.png

Yoshiya

Ugh, I couldn't be bothered grinding for the platinum, as much as I loved the game. Couple of small pieces of news I noticed. Emi Evans features (cello and vocals) on the debut album of Nobuo Uematsu's new band the Earthbound Papas. Good to see Nier launching a hopefully successful career in game music, as she also appeared on the last release from Japanese game music industry collective Geondan. Her performance certainly seems to have drawn praise, even now from Uematsu himself.

Nier Gestalt and Replicant were both just re-released in the platforms' respective budget collections in Japan. No surprise for Replicant, but that must mean Gestalt enjoyed relative success even if that wasn't evident on the charts.

Yoshiya said:
Ugh, I couldn't be bothered grinding for the platinum, as much as I loved the game. Couple of small pieces of news I noticed. Emi Evans features (cello and vocals) on the debut album of Nobuo Uematsu's new band the Earthbound Papas. Good to see Nier launching a hopefully successful career in game music, as she also appeared on the last release from Japanese game music industry collective Geondan. Her performance certainly seems to have drawn praise, even now from Uematsu himself.

Nier Gestalt and Replicant were both just re-released in the platforms' respective budget collections in Japan. No surprise for Replicant, but that must mean Gestalt enjoyed relative success even if that wasn't evident on the charts.

I'm glad that Emi Evans is getting more work after this. Her voice is just incredible. New freesscape release on the 22nd as well!

gdt

Got ending A today. Fantastic stuff up until the end, which felt very incomplete. I imagine the further ending will shed more light on everything?

Like WTF is going on in the prologue?

3 keys into NG+ (towards ending B) and this is sad stuff. Just finished Beepy :(.

gdt

Some of the stuff from Playthrough B doesn't really jive
I've always gotten attacked first in the overworld, the Shades invaded the village, etc etc
, but taken on a case by case basis, that added scenes really make this game rough. Just completed Facade again :(.

gdt

The Ending B was fantastic. Time for C and D!

Can someone point out which quests I need to obtain the rest of the weapons? I have to go to all the town and buy them up, I guess, and then do some quests for the rest.

Currently, I'm at 70% collection. I'm gonna go buy some weapons at all the towns.

gdt5016 said:
The Ending B was fantastic. Time for C and D!

Can someone point out which quests I need to obtain the rest of the weapons? I have to go to all the town and buy them up, I guess, and then do some quests for the rest.

Currently, I'm at 70% collection. I'm gonna go buy some weapons at all the towns.
I used this list, fortunately I was only missing 3 when I started my B playthrough and had bought all the weapons from the merchants. Good luck!

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44360/t1527911-nier-complete-weapon-list-obvious-spoilers/

DeVeAn

Those last few cheevos are so damn time consuming. Also the whole idea of the last play through erasing your saves sucks. I know there is a work around but still.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Still can't finish the third part of the DLC, that final row of bosses is just ughhhhh. One attack from that walking cannon head thing and you're as good as dead. I'll just have to let it rest until I've finished my second playthrough, so that I'll be leveled up some more.

MBison

I just started this based on the praise from this thread. I'm headed to Seaport now.

My main question is, what side quests do I need to do for sure to ensure I can get all of the endings? I'm playing mainly for the main story but then again don't want to miss out on story, so I want to make sure I do what side quests are necessary.

Is there a post that lists what must be done so you ensure you can access all endings?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

EatChildren

MBison said:
I just started this based on the praise from this thread. I'm headed to Seaport now.

My main question is, what side quests do I need to do for sure to ensure I can get all of the endings? I'm playing mainly for the main story but then again don't want to miss out on story, so I want to make sure I do what side quests are necessary.

Is there a post that lists what must be done so you ensure you can access all endings?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Ending A = Play through the game once.
Ending B = Play through a NG+.
Ending C/D = Play through NG+ a second time, but have all weapons by the time you reach the finish.

You can only get the endings in order, so you wont actually need to get all weapons (and probably shouldnt bother) until you're on the second NG+ run. Ending A will always be your first, and Ending B will be your second.

You can find a tutorial over on GameFAQs that lists all the weapons, where to get them, and their associated side quests. Only a few weapons require side quests. The rest are either purchased or found.

MBison

Thanks, one more question.. I read that for Ending B, you can start closer to the end of the game.. assuming you can do that for C/D, is it possible to miss out on weapons in the early part of the game and not be able to get them in the second half?

EatChildren

MBison said:
Thanks, one more question.. I read that for Ending B, you can start closer to the end of the game.. assuming you can do that for C/D, is it possible to miss out on weapons in the early part of the game and not be able to get them in the second half?

That...is a good question :lol. I'm not sure sorry. I dont think you can miss any. I didn't really pay any attention to weapon hunting, and had no problem getting them all for Ending C and D. Someone else will need to take that one.

There are no weapons you can't buy from the first half. There's no way to miss all weapons unless you don't do the quests (which are all in the second half). There are like three or four in boxes in dungeons, though. Just make sure to destroy any boxes you see.

hertog

Just saw the game in my local gamestore for 19.99 euro's. Should I buy it?

I'm a sucker for JRPG'S and the fighting system reminds me of crisis core, is this correct?

jcm

hertog said:
Just saw the game in my local gamestore for 19.99 euro's. Should I buy it?

I'm a sucker for JRPG'S and the fighting system reminds me of crisis core, is this correct?

I never played crisis core, but yes, you should buy it. I just finished the first ending last night, and really enjoyed the game.

EatChildren

Die Squirrel Die said:
Do sidequests carry over to NG+ or do you have to do them again? Also I take it weapon upgrades carry over?

Everything carries over. Level, upgrades, weapons, loot, quests; everything.

Okay. I think I'll try do everything for my first playthrough, so I can just focus on the story for NG+(++ and +++). Except maybe weapon upgrading. I might pace that out over several runs.

EatChildren

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay. I think I'll try do everything for my first playthrough, so I can just focus on the story for NG+(++ and +++). Except maybe weapon upgrading. I might pace that out over several runs.

Well, if it means anything, only the first run and NG+ have significant extra story content, in the form of clips throughout the game as well as new content at the end. NG++ and NG+++ for the third and fourth endings use the NG+ as a base, and only have new content at the very end.

If you wanted to play it easy and enjoy the pacing and story without getting caught up in too many extra quests and objectives, you could always play through the first run and NG+ at a casual pace, then leave the third and fourth runs to do everything, since those will be the ones with no additional content until the very end.

hertog said:
Can you name some pro's and cons?
Well did you like Crisis Core because of it's combat? Did you like it's materia customization? Well, I don't think Nier comes close to the awesome combat of CC, but it's still pretty mashy. I find Nier's combat to be pretty terrible. Things don't feel responsive and it feels like I'm slashing around like a drunkard. Nier's combat is still in line with CC's though, it's kind of similar, but Nier is more like a straight up action game. CC to me still had rpg elements in it's real time combat. It's fairly easy and with little input, but then again CC wasn't very hard.

I guess if you like the story of CC, you may like the story of Nier. It's something I guess. I didn't really like it or it's characters, but then again I'm not a big fan of CC's story.

It does have a nice over-world, but it's not big on exploring or anything.

hertog

Rahxephon91 said:
Well did you like Crisis Core because of it's combat? Did you like it's materia customization? Well, I don't think Nier comes close to the awesome combat of CC, but it's still pretty mashy. I find Nier's combat to be pretty terrible. Things don't feel responsive and it feels like I'm slashing around like a drunkard. Nier's combat is still in line with CC's though, it's kind of similar, but Nier is more like a straight up action game. CC to me still had rpg elements in it's real time combat. It's fairly easy and with little input, but then again CC wasn't very hard.

I guess if you like the story of CC, you may like the story of Nier. It's something I guess. I didn't really like it or it's characters, but then again I'm not a big fan of CC's story.

It does have a nice over-world, but it's not big on exploring or anything.

It's not that CC was my favourite RPG ever (that would be shadow hearts: 1 & 2).
But when I think 3D action-RPG with a sword, first thing I think about is Crisis Core.

My other favourite jrgp's are final fantas 5,7,9, tactics, vandal hearts, tales of symphonia and baiten katos.

I mostly play the games for story and the feeling of adventure in a strange world. So will I enjoy Nier?

Durante

hertog said:
I mostly play the games for story and the feeling of adventure in a strange world. So will I enjoy Nier?
Probably. The story doesn't click with everyone, but most who like it really love it. And, well, worlds certainly don't get much stranger!

StuBurns

Banned
hertog said:
Nier's world is utterly bizarre and it's better written than every game you mentioned, save possible Baiten Katos because I've never played it.

hertog said:
Going by this thread, probably. The story could be intriguing. It does start off mysterious and if you buy into whats going on then yes you may like it. It is important to like the characters though. I didn't really like cast at all so the payoff and story dumps didn't matter to me at all the end, leading me to feel like I wasted my time. Some people do like the characters. Some say they are realistic and different then the average jrpg cast and you may feel the same. I just kind of felt they were mostly even more annoying Japanese stock characters, just with added grit. It really is up to you, but if some of the story talk in here has tickled you then I guess try it out.

As for the adventure feel? Well it does feel like you are traveling around a place at least. The game does a good job of making you feel familiar with the place. It's not a grand adventure though and perhaps because of the budget of the game it dosen't quite feel like you are going on some grand adventure. That's ok though and the game's story dosen't really fit that kind of adventure. Regardless, it does feel like a strange world and the game does it job of selling you that. It's up to you to make that connection with it though, which seems to be the big point of the game.

Regardless, I really dislike Nier, but I'm always for people trying out a game they have an interests in. If it's at the price where you feel you won't be screwed if you don't like it then sure why not.

Durante

Jimmy Stav said:
Okay, I'm really fucking curious about this game. Should I play it on Xbox 360 or PS3?
This is one of the games where the platform really doesn't matter at all. I had the same question before I got it, and I couldn't find any difference mentioned anywhere. No, wait, I think the PS3 version has some sound output options the 360 doesn't have, but I don't know much about that.

EatChildren

Jimmy Stav said:
Okay, I'm really fucking curious about this game. Should I play it on Xbox 360 or PS3?

They're basically the same. On a technically level both games are pretty ugly, and run at a very solid framerate for most part.

hertog

Well my girlfriend actually bought it as a valentine present. So I've alreay played it a little, and what's up with the post apocalyptic 2049 :lol

Didn't see that coming.

Top Bottom