• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Foxix Von

Zeal said:
you know, there seriously needs to be...

one final DLC that eventually adds a little fucking HOPE to this bleak world. don't get me wrong, i totally dig the fact that Nier's creator went for an extremely sad and hopeless world for Nier -- this was his design philosophy -- but i think it would be great to add an ending that even hints that another possible replacement for the Shadowlord can be found. a way to break the cycle and the hope that shades and cloned humans can even one day live in peace. or a grand, super happy ending in which shades can be returned to their bodies and the cloned humans could help them rebuild a world for both of them.

i mean, as it stands right now, both the true humans and their clones are fucked. everyone just dies and the world ends, which is honestly just overly hopeless and renders the entire journey pointless from start to finish. it's just overkill.

either way, Nier is one of the most brilliant game stories ever written, and if I get a sequel to Nier (now that Demon's Souls 2 is coming), and then possibly a Chrono Trigger 2 one day....well, the holy trinity will be complete and Jesus will come down from the sky or something lol.

Emil lives, isn't that enough?

No... no it probably isn't ;_;

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd pay money for the "final" ending of the 7 playthrough plan as described in Grimoire Nier.

Full text below:

Ending E - The Lost World

incomplete summary from chinese forums and blogs

-THE END IS NIER.
THE END OF NIER.

Kaine continues to have nightmares after Nier disappears, with the feeling that she has lost something precious. Kaine remembers saving a girl named Yonah from the Shadow Lord’s castle, and that the shade Tyrann is gone for unknown reasons. But every time she thinks back to that moment, there is always something flashing before her, but dissipating right away.

The troubled Kaine feels like taking out her bad mood on some Shades, that’s why she goes to the Forest of Myth after hearing about presences of shades there. When she arrives, she notices that the forest has become something entirely different. It no longer looks like a forest, but instead a fusion of forest and machines, with power cables covering the ground like tree roots, and every steps filled with slick green machine oil and sap.

Kaine manages to arrive at the most eye-catching tree in the forest, and suddenly, the vine-link cables or the cable-like vines tangles together in the shape of a young man.

“Hello, I…”

Before he could finish, Kaine has already lopped his head off. The body falls apart, and is reformed in another area.

“How violent. Allow me to introduce myself. I am (random code), the overseer of this forest.”

“(random code)?...” Kaine paused. The young man continues: “ You don’t understand the language my name is in, so call me anything you like, whether it is the “overseer” or “young man”. You probably have a lot of things you don’t understand right now. So what do you want to know? 1) About the forest, 2) about me 3) about the future. Pick one.”

Before Kaine could answer, the young man has started his explanations already. First, about the Forest of Myth, it is the terminal computer where the ancient people studied the demonic element and quantum physics. The young man said the area is entering it’s final phase, and the shut down sequence has already begun.

As the young man continues his explanation, swarms of P-33 drones rushes in and attacks Kaine.

On to the second point. The mysterious young man claims to be an existence similar to that of the Grimoire Weiss. He controls all the demonic element, the live and death of gestalts and replicants, and the information of everything within the area.

A P33 humanoid robot appeared as most of the P33-drones are taken out. Kaine remembers fighting that thing in the Junk Heap, alongside with someone… but who was it?

“That’s the most important person to you? If you can defeat these kids, I’ll tell you why you are here, and the person that you cannot remember,” the young man laughs as he summons a robot that looks exactly like Kaine.

“The third point – the future. Like I said, this world is a failure. We don’t need robots and humans, and I have lost my reason to exist”

Emil (with an unexplained extra pair of hands) appears out of nowhere and joins Kaine’s battle against the robot Kaine. Emil notices that the tree is the source of power of everything, and the two concentrate their attacks at the enemy’s core.

The scenery, the trees, the ground, the human face dissolves into a giant puddle.

“Using the power of magic to fuse machines, human and plants together, this is the truth behind this world! Amazing! Amazing! A replicant like you can reach this level! Amazing!” The young man babbles on as he dis spears.

Power cables are whipping around in the wind as a storm as formed. Emil protects Kaine as she approaches the magical power source. She just keep on slashing her sword in the overpowering white light. Then suddenly..
Everything quiets down, as though she has arrived at the border between reality and a dream world.

Kaine feels that something important is in front of her, she tries touching it, and can vaguely tell that it is a shape of a person.

“…..ine…. don’t….”

Tears flow on Kaine’s face.

“…….go back….. do not………. come here….”

“……don’t…..”

She grabs on to it as it slips away, losing something important again.

"This is pissing me off! This is my life! I decide how I’ll live! I don’t need anyone telling me what to do! It’s my decision to die for you as your sword!"

Kaine cries out of fear of losing that important thing again. She is angry at how powerless she is.

"I must, I must, I must get it back!
I’ll get it back no matter what price I have to pay!"

Someone pushes Kaine from the back. Kaine used this to help her move forward.

“Stop screwing around. How can you just disappear all by yourself! I am the one who will decide what the meaning of my life is! I get to do whatever I want with my own life”

“GET BACK HERE YOU #$#$@$#@$@#$@#$ BASTARD”

…
……
………

The white light dissipates, and the clear blue sky reappears.

The Forest of Myth disappears. Replacing it is a giant techno-organic flower. From afar, it resembles the Lunar Tear. At the stamen, Kaine is holding a person that is important to her.

This person that she is used to see, this kind person is in deep slumber.

Emil floats closer.

Kaine looks up to the sky, thinking back to how someone helped pushed her forward within that white light, when she clearly heard “I’ll leave this guy to you, lingerie woman---”

They meet again.

An Emil with a slightly different body, an older Kaine, and a younger version of “him”..

Yes… His name is…

1stStrike

Banned
Clear said:
I'd pay money for the "final" ending of the 7 playthrough plan as described in Grimoire Nier.

Full text below:

Ending E - The Lost World

incomplete summary from chinese forums and blogs

-THE END IS NIER.
THE END OF NIER.

Kaine continues to have nightmares after Nier disappears, with the feeling that she has lost something precious. Kaine remembers saving a girl named Yonah from the Shadow Lord’s castle, and that the shade Tyrann is gone for unknown reasons. But every time she thinks back to that moment, there is always something flashing before her, but dissipating right away.

The troubled Kaine feels like taking out her bad mood on some Shades, that’s why she goes to the Forest of Myth after hearing about presences of shades there. When she arrives, she notices that the forest has become something entirely different. It no longer looks like a forest, but instead a fusion of forest and machines, with power cables covering the ground like tree roots, and every steps filled with slick green machine oil and sap.

Kaine manages to arrive at the most eye-catching tree in the forest, and suddenly, the vine-link cables or the cable-like vines tangles together in the shape of a young man.

“Hello, I…”

Before he could finish, Kaine has already lopped his head off. The body falls apart, and is reformed in another area.

“How violent. Allow me to introduce myself. I am (random code), the overseer of this forest.”

“(random code)?...” Kaine paused. The young man continues: “ You don’t understand the language my name is in, so call me anything you like, whether it is the “overseer” or “young man”. You probably have a lot of things you don’t understand right now. So what do you want to know? 1) About the forest, 2) about me 3) about the future. Pick one.”

Before Kaine could answer, the young man has started his explanations already. First, about the Forest of Myth, it is the terminal computer where the ancient people studied the demonic element and quantum physics. The young man said the area is entering it’s final phase, and the shut down sequence has already begun.

As the young man continues his explanation, swarms of P-33 drones rushes in and attacks Kaine.

On to the second point. The mysterious young man claims to be an existence similar to that of the Grimoire Weiss. He controls all the demonic element, the live and death of gestalts and replicants, and the information of everything within the area.

A P33 humanoid robot appeared as most of the P33-drones are taken out. Kaine remembers fighting that thing in the Junk Heap, alongside with someone… but who was it?

“That’s the most important person to you? If you can defeat these kids, I’ll tell you why you are here, and the person that you cannot remember,” the young man laughs as he summons a robot that looks exactly like Kaine.

“The third point – the future. Like I said, this world is a failure. We don’t need robots and humans, and I have lost my reason to exist”

Emil (with an unexplained extra pair of hands) appears out of nowhere and joins Kaine’s battle against the robot Kaine. Emil notices that the tree is the source of power of everything, and the two concentrate their attacks at the enemy’s core.

The scenery, the trees, the ground, the human face dissolves into a giant puddle.

“Using the power of magic to fuse machines, human and plants together, this is the truth behind this world! Amazing! Amazing! A replicant like you can reach this level! Amazing!” The young man babbles on as he dis spears.

Power cables are whipping around in the wind as a storm as formed. Emil protects Kaine as she approaches the magical power source. She just keep on slashing her sword in the overpowering white light. Then suddenly..
Everything quiets down, as though she has arrived at the border between reality and a dream world.

Kaine feels that something important is in front of her, she tries touching it, and can vaguely tell that it is a shape of a person.

“…..ine…. don’t….”

Tears flow on Kaine’s face.

“…….go back….. do not………. come here….”

“……don’t…..”

She grabs on to it as it slips away, losing something important again.

"This is pissing me off! This is my life! I decide how I’ll live! I don’t need anyone telling me what to do! It’s my decision to die for you as your sword!"

Kaine cries out of fear of losing that important thing again. She is angry at how powerless she is.

"I must, I must, I must get it back!
I’ll get it back no matter what price I have to pay!"

Someone pushes Kaine from the back. Kaine used this to help her move forward.

“Stop screwing around. How can you just disappear all by yourself! I am the one who will decide what the meaning of my life is! I get to do whatever I want with my own life”

“GET BACK HERE YOU #$#$@$#@$@#$@#$ BASTARD”

…
……
………

The white light dissipates, and the clear blue sky reappears.

The Forest of Myth disappears. Replacing it is a giant techno-organic flower. From afar, it resembles the Lunar Tear. At the stamen, Kaine is holding a person that is important to her.

This person that she is used to see, this kind person is in deep slumber.

Emil floats closer.

Kaine looks up to the sky, thinking back to how someone helped pushed her forward within that white light, when she clearly heard “I’ll leave this guy to you, lingerie woman---”

They meet again.

An Emil with a slightly different body, an older Kaine, and a younger version of “him”..

Yes… His name is…

Wow. I was listening to this
while reading that and it went quite well. That'd be super emotional.

gdt

Fishing sucks fucking dick. Hard.

Can't get the damn shaman fish. Is there a specific fishing spot for it?

ultron87

gdt5016 said:

Go to the big red X on your map. Somewhat stupidly this isn't at the beach directly next to the guy who gives you the fishing rod.

Don't worry, it happens to everyone.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gdt5016 said:

Go to the red X on your map. It should be on the beach area near the lighthouse.

When fishing, follow Nier. When he is standing still, hold backwards on the control stick. When he leans to the left, tilt the control stick left, when he leans right, tilt it right. Those are the only three 'positions' the stick should ever be in.

You will know you're doing it 'right' when the fish's health bar, at the bottom of the screen, is decreasing. If its not decreasing you're not holding the stick in the right place.

gdt

Bought the map, X appeared, got the fish.

I can tell I won't be fishing much...

To get the extra ending(s), one needs to collect all the weapons, right? So, do I need to do shitty sidequests to get those weapons?

Gravijah

gdt5016 said:

To get the extra ending(s), one needs to collect all the weapons, right? So, do I need to do shitty sidequests to get those weapons?

Only a few of the sidequests.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gdt5016 said:

Unless you're going for all trophies you wont need to ever fish again.

And yeah, to get Ending C and D you need to collect all weapons, and some of them require you to complete some of the sidequests, though only a couple. A vast majority of the weapons are either found or purchased. Financially you will probably need to do some sidequests to buy all the weapons though.

On the plus side your weapons will carry over to NG+, so you dont need to worry about getting them all in one playthrough. Just keep playing. You can go through to Ending A and B, and then finish getting all the weapons during the Ending C/D run.

suikodan

EatChildren said:
Unless you're going for all trophies you wont need to ever fish again.

And yeah, to get Ending C and D you need to collect all weapons, and some of them require you to complete some of the sidequests, though only a couple. A vast majority of the weapons are either found or purchased. Financially you will probably need to do some sidequests to buy all the weapons though.

On the plus side your weapons will carry over to NG+, so you dont need to worry about getting them all in one playthrough. Just keep playing. You can go through to Ending A and B, and then finish getting all the weapons during the Ending C/D run.

Is there a list of weapons and where to get them?

EatChildren

suikodan said:
Is there a list of weapons and where to get them?

There's only one FAQ for Nier on GameFaqs. Check it out, as its a comprehensive list of every weapon, item, and quest in the game. It should be all you need in order to get all weapons.

For the record, I'm currently going for my C/D run now, and there were only two weapons I needed to get from side quests. Otherwise I had all the others.

EatChildren said:
There's only one FAQ for Nier on GameFaqs. Check it out, as its a comprehensive list of every weapon, item, and quest in the game. It should be all you need in order to get all weapons.

For the record, I'm currently going for my C/D run now, and there were only two weapons I needed to get from side quests. Otherwise I had all the others.
Is that just one run with a choice at the end? That's the only thing I haven't done yet.

EatChildren

Neuromancer said:
Is that just one run with a choice at the end? That's the only thing I haven't done yet.

Apparently yeah, though I dont know if you can get Ending C then load up the nearest save and quickly get D, or if you need to NG+ it a fourth time.

Either way, Ending C/D have the same requirement; get all weapons.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You can do it in a single run, just make a spare save before the point of no return. Simple.

Actually if you forget to make the save at the top of the Lost Shrine you can still abort by choosing "return to the village" in the pre-fight dialogue before fighting Devola & Popola the first time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So I need all weapons to get ending C and D? There are some weapons I didn't buy during the first half of the game, can they still be bought during the second half of the game, or when I start the first NG+?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Combichristoffersen said:
So I need all weapons to get ending C and D? There are some weapons I didn't buy during the first half of the game, can they still be bought during the second half of the game, or when I start the first NG+?
Yeah, they'll still be in the shops no matter what.

Clear said:
You can do it in a single run, just make a spare save before the point of no return. Simple.

Actually if you forget to make the save at the top of the Lost Shrine you can still abort by choosing "return to the village" in the pre-fight dialogue before fighting Devola & Popola the first time.

Oh OK thanks.

EatChildren

Ending C get. Time for Ending D.

Thank fuck I made a seperate save near the end, as after saving over with Ending C you're shot right back to the very start of a NG+. So keep that in mind, people playing to completion; if you want to view Ending D without doing all the bosses again, do make sure you make a seperate save, or just not bother to save over with ending C.

With that in mind, is there any benefit at all to having a save file have A, B, and C registered when you go for ending D?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well my friend got Ending A just now and he loves the game. It's nice to know I didn't make him waste his money on something he didn't like. :lol

Foxix Von

EatChildren said:
Ending C get. Time for Ending D.

Thank fuck I made a seperate save near the end, as after saving over with Ending C you're shot right back to the very start of a NG+. So keep that in mind, people playing to completion; if you want to view Ending D without doing all the bosses again, do make sure you make a seperate save, or just not bother to save over with ending C.

With that in mind, is there any benefit at all to having a save file have A, B, and C registered when you go for ending D?

Not really... I mean it might make D that much harder to go through considering how it works.
Save files don't exactly mean much after ending D if you catch my drift. If you're serious about it I'd back up my save files if I were you.

gdt

How long have you/are you taking to get all the endings, EC?

Just got Kaine, loving the game/bosses so far. Even the Wind Waker tribute one (I can only assume that was a tribute....).

EatChildren

Thanks guys. I already know the dealio for what 'happens' at the end of Ending D, I was just wondering if it made any difference to have it happen with a 'complete' save file or one missing C. I'm happy to have made the second save, as I can just rush through the end area without much trouble now, rather than have to do the entire NG+ all over again.

@gdt5016; Not long. Ending A was the whole game, obviously. Ending B was from the NG+ point, which took a little bit of time but not all that long. Most of that extra time was extended by the cutscenes. Ending C/D dont add anything new except for the end cutscene, so you can skip heaps of the ones on the way, and by that point you're so goddamn powerful you'll rip through everything in a matter of seconds. It only took me an hour or two to get Ending C after B.

gdt

EatChildren said:
@gdt5016; Not long. Ending A was the whole game, obviously. Ending B was from the NG+ point, which took a little bit of time but not all that long. Most of that extra time was extended by the cutscenes. Ending C/D dont add anything new except for the end cutscene, so you can skip heaps of the ones on the way, and by that point you're so goddamn powerful you'll rip through everything in a matter of seconds. It only took me an hour or two to get Ending C after B.

Ahh, thanks!

EatChildren

Aaand I'm done. Didn't take long. I'm a bit disappointed with endings C and D, to be honest. They felt a little too much like artificial game extension. Huge spoilers, so dont read.

Ending A was great for the obvious reason that it's your first playthrough, and by the end the game has baited you enough to be intrigued by the plot yet still somewhat satisfied. Ending B is even better as it doesn't change anything from Ending A, but instead offers a second perspective of events. The ending is the same either way, but you earn a greater understanding of the world, lore, and characters. Ending B is a wonderful companion to Ending A.

Ending C and D, however, were a bit shit due to being mutually exclusive, and the experience to arrive at them offering nothing new.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of the extra content in Ending C/D, and by that I mean the final scenes with Kainé. The story did seem to play a bit heavily on a stronger relationship between Nier and Kainé than was ever actually implied, but whatever. Neither ending A nor B gave ultimate closure to Kainé's character, and the ending of C/D allowed for that to happen.

But even so, it felt a little bit out of place. Nier chosing to let Kainé wasn't satisfying, and sacrificing himself for Kainé was equally weak. It was an overly dramatic climax that, compared to what just happened, didn't really fit in the grand scheme of things.

I think having to play through the NG+ at least once (twice if you screw up) more to get Ending C and D hurt as well. Ending B had the benefit of the entire NG+ experience being great value. Ending C and D didn't. I really think the resolution of Kainé's character should have been worked into the second playthrough, rather than a third. I really liked how Ending B worked, but maybe her resolution should have come about in an Epilogue of sorts, perhaps post credits, and perhaps without the 'choice'.

As said, I liked the idea and the conclusion to Kainé's character, but I thought both Ending C and D were immeasurably weaker than both A and B, and far less cohesive with the rest of the game's structure.

End of the day I'm happy I went through with all four endings. Nier is a game with a metric shit ton of flaws and rough corners, many of which are further exposed during the NG+s, but I still loved the experience. Interesting ideas, lots of variety, good characters, great writing, beautiful music, and an overall fantastic and moving premise. Its a shame that this game didn't recieve the kind of polish and budget it deserved, but then again its always these games with rough corners that are the most intriguing.

Now, how's the DLC pack? Does it add anything of value to the story? I dont have any idea what it could possibly add due ot how resolute the story was, but is it worth getting? If its just a bunch of pointless fights I wont bother.

Fuck this game. I'm in the Barren Temple, I've got no health items left and I've got to try get through this fucking tedious multipart boss battle. Restarting. Really pissed me off because I've actually been enjoying it so far.

Erudite

ZephyrFate said:
That battle is pretty easy...
When you've got no health items, and you're down to your last sliver of health, it made me want to quit the game entirely.

I stuck through it, and completed it bored and frustrated. Saved right after, and haven't gone back to the game since.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Die Squirrel Die said:
Fuck this game. I'm in the Barren Temple, I've got no health items left and I've got to try get through this fucking tedious multipart boss battle. Restarting. Really pissed me off because I've actually been enjoying it so far.
Use aim mode on Dark Lance.

It makes it really simple.

EatChildren

Nirolak said:
Use aim mode on Dark Spear.

It makes it really simple.

Spear or Lance, whichever is the one that summons all those missiles you can aim and then pelt at your enemies.

Its the only spell I used for the entire game, and it kicked the shit out of everything.

EatChildren said:
Spear or Lance, whichever is the one that summons all those missiles you can aim and then pelt at your enemies.

Its the only spell I used for the entire game, and it kicked the shit out of everything.
Dark Lance. That, Dark Hand, and occasionally Dark Blast are all you need.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:

Whoops.

Yes, I meant Dark Lance.

Whirlwind in hold down (Spear) mode is also pretty useful, but only for areas where you get swarmed.

Just saw Ending C and D after taking a break to play other games.
I enjoyed C vastly more than D. I know it sounds cliche, but there wasn't enough substance between Nier and Kaine for him to sacrifice himself. No spark or chemistry or romance so Ending D seems most out of place, but C was heartwrenching. He lost all his allies at the end. The extra sequences in NG+ really helped me understand the motives of other bosses and Kaine too.
Alright, all I got now is the weapons trophy and the speed run left for my platinum.

What? Were you glossing over the interactions between Nier and Kaine the whole game?
The game even slaps you in the face with their romance, literally, in the final dungeon. In all four endings.

EatChildren

ZephyrFate said:
What? Were you glossing over the interactions between Nier and Kaine the whole game?
The game even slaps you in the face with their romance, literally, in the final dungeon. In all four endings.

It does, but I agree with zerokoolpsx, it was weak. It terms of character relationship establishment it was by far the least convincing. A relationship was there, but it came across far more like a friendship and not what the last dungeon implied.

Personally, I saw Nier, Weiss, Kaine, and Emil as a loveable band of friends on an adventure, nothing more.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
EatChildren said:
Personally, I saw Nier, Weiss, Kaine, and Emil as a loveable band of friends on an adventure, nothing more.
That's not what Kaine unknowingly thinks! Well Emil actively knows about his love for Nier.

ZephyrFate said:
The only thing she does is hit Nier or kick him in the face and give him a pep talk when things go bad.
I don't really see the romance there. I see a strong bond of camaraderie between all of them, but that's it. I played dating sims that made it more believable so if it was there, it was almost non-existent.

Sagitario

zerokoolpsx said:
The only thing she does is hit Nier or kick him in the face and give him a pep talk when things go bad.
I don't really see the romance there. I see a strong bond of camaraderie between all of them, but that's it. I played dating sims that made it more believable so if it was there, it was almost non-existent.

She
almost kiss him after Emil sacrifices himself

EatChildren

Sagitario said:
She
almost kiss him after Emil sacrifices himself

Indeed, and its still not enough. Personally, I thought that scene was out of place as well.

flyover

EatChildren said:
Yeah, that's how I felt most of the game. It wasn't completely out of place when
Kaine almost rage-kisses Nier
, but a couple more small hints throughout the game could have made it more authentic.

It's been about a month since I played this game, and I can't get it out of my head. It was almost too effective. It was bleak enough after one playthrough that I didn't even go for Ending B. I was done with it, at least for the time being.

That said, I can't stop listening to the music. Several days a week, I put a YouTube playlist of its music on at work, and then I wonder why I'm totally bummed out -- in the best possible way.

EatChildren

You haven't played B?

Play B.

Do it.

Now.

flyover

EatChildren said:
You haven't played B?

Play B.

Do it.

Now.

You're right. I should; I will. Don't think I'll bother going for C or D, considering what I've read here (which has covered most of what happens in those, anyway).

EatChildren

flyover said:
You're right. I should; I will. Don't think I'll bother going for C or D, considering what I've read here (which has covered most of what happens in those, anyway).

You can always 'tube C and D if you need to. Ending B is a must though, as the entire NG+ has new filmclips, not just the ending. Its absolutely essential to the story.

You will feel like shit by the end though.

gdt

Just helped out the blind boy, digging this game (with reservations of course). The narrative hasn't really kicked in gear yet, but I LOVED those short stories/dreams I got in The Forest of Myth.

I adore the music. One of the best game soundtracks ever.

Top Bottom