• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

hertog said:
Well my girlfriend actually bought it as a valentine present. So I've alreay played it a little, and what's up with the post apocalyptic 2049 :lol

Didn't see that coming.
It only gets crazier from there.

hertog

Neuromancer said:
It only gets crazier from there.

vpzpjp.gif

hertog

Wow killing the sheep was more brutal than I'm used to.
And why does Nier jump as a duck that had his wings clipped :lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here's the deal with Nier:

If somebody said to you, "Hey, there's this 'lost' PS2-era JRPG full of crazy twisted ideas and with an amazing story and soundtrack on PS3/360" would you be interested?

That's all you really need to know.

taoofjord

Quick question, just started:

I'm in the first "dungeon" and it's taking me FOREVER to kill the bad guys. Even with charged attacks and finishing stabs. Not to mention slowly, slowly, slowly bringing down the boss's massive life bar. Is the combat in this slow paced like this the whole way through? Or, maybe I'm not using my attacks as efficiently as I should?

taoofjord said:

I'm in the first "dungeon" and it's taking me FOREVER to kill the bad guys. Even with charged attacks and finishing stabs. Not to mention slowly, slowly, slowly bringing down the boss's massive life bar. Is the combat in this slow paced like this the whole way through? Or, maybe I'm not using my attacks as efficiently as I should?
I don't remember how I did onthat first fight but later on, depending on what weapons and words you get, it's easy to become almost ridiculously overpowered. So hang in there!

taoofjord said:

if you're playing on hard enemies take plenty longer to kill. If not don't know what to tell you. Don't ever recall taking a while to kill any enemies, you'll be mad OP soon.

hertog said:
Wow killing the sheep was more brutal than I'm used to.
And why does Nier jump as a duck that had his wings clipped :lol

LOL, that is a perfect description of how Nier jumps. Walking around in the game was pretty enjoyable because I was essentially jumping and rolling everywhere. It was fast, but he sure looked kinda silly.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
hertog said:
fuck that boar!
He kills me in two hits :(

Stand on top of one those two huge rocks, shoot him with dark lance when he's at a distance from you, when he gets close to you, jump down, run to the other rock, get up, fire away. Takes some time, but eventually you'll kill it.

MBison

You can also position a rock between you and the boar. He'll keep getting up, running into the rock, and stunning himself. While he's stunned, go hack and slash with the sword but as soon as he gets up, get behind the rock again.

I read someone suggested the first magic you get and strafing around him but that takes WAY too long and he's tough to dodge roll when he's coming at you.

suikodan

Jimmy Stav said:
Okay, I'm really fucking curious about this game. Should I play it on Xbox 360 or PS3?

I installed the game on my 360 and saw a friend playing on PS3. Ok, it wasn't that BAD except that the loading on PS3 was way higher than the installed 360 game.

Otherwise it's really up to you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
suikodan said:
I installed the game on my 360 and saw a friend playing on PS3. Ok, it wasn't that BAD except that the loading on PS3 was way higher than the installed 360 game.

Otherwise it's really up to you.
Well you can install the PS3 version too. The loading doesn't seem to be a problem on my friends 360 copy.

suikodan

InfiniteNine said:
Well you can install the PS3 version too. The loading doesn't seem to be a problem on my friends 360 copy.

Ah, my bad. I did not check if there was an install option on PS3.

Another question. I see lots of people talking about Grimoire Noir/Nier that you can consult to read about the backstory. Dumb question: how can I access it????

Easy_D

never left the stone age
InfiniteNine said:
I'd actually advice against installing it on 360, you barely have time to read the notes that appear while new areas load.

Thoraxes

Clear said:
Here's the deal with Nier:

If somebody said to you, "Hey, there's this 'lost' PS2-era JRPG full of crazy twisted ideas and with an amazing story and soundtrack on PS3/360" would you be interested?

That's all you really need to know.
This just sold the game to me honestly. That sounds awesome, and i'm already in love with the OST, so I have nothing to lose on this.

suikodan

Gravijah said:
DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME

Thanks, I'm about to beat Ending D soon so I'll have a read at this sooner than later.

I thought the extra reference (ie: Grimoire Noir) was something included in the game. So there are no extra "documents" to be found inside the game?

jcm

I finished ending B last night and thought it was great
albeit really depressing
, but I only have 60% of the weapons. Is ending c/d worth spending a couple of hours weapon collecting?

gdt

jcm said:
albeit really depressing
, but I only have 60% of the weapons. Is ending c/d worth spending a couple of hours weapon collecting?

It really doesn't take that long. It's only buying more weapons, and doing 3 quests for those weapons.

Why won't the quest for the weapon in Facade trigger? Apparently I have to do a few before the weapon quest appears? :(.

gdt5016 said:
It really doesn't take that long. It's only buying more weapons, and doing 3 quests for those weapons.

Why won't the quest for the weapon in Facade trigger? Apparently I have to do a few before the weapon quest appears? :(.
Yeah. If memory serves and you're where I was, check with one of the guards near the front gate (inside the city). He'll give you a quest, I don't remember exactly what, but after that the King will be ready for you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gdt5016 said:

I had to the main Facade quests before that would trigger from the king.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jcm said:
albeit really depressing
I got all the endings and weapons in about 24 hours of play time.

hertog

Ok just beat
that lizardthing for good (it's spiked on a pillar)
and now I'm doing these random sidequest. I've done some shopping, delivering and now I'm getting
popolato sing for me

How essential are these sidequest for the game and does the game require a lot of grinding?

hertog

Now I'm on a big tour in this city of sand that apparently contains a "strange-things"store and about 1,244,535 rules :lol

Steroyd

lulz

I was thinking how the Sand temple is reminiscent of a typical Zelda temple then bam, the prince acquires a royal mask. [lol smiley]

StuBurns

Banned
hertog said:
How essential are these sidequest for the game and does the game require a lot of grinding?
They're basically not at all unless you want to see the third and fourth possible endings, and on normal it's really quite easy throughout so no grinding.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
StuBurns said:
They're basically not at all unless you want to see the third and fourth possible endings, and on normal it's really quite easy throughout so no grinding.

And even then you only actually need to do the handful related to weapon quests. The rest have no impact.

hertog

Steroyd said:
lulz

I was thinking how the Sand temple is reminiscent of a typical Zelda temple then bam, the prince acquires a royal mask. [lol smiley]

That's so true. Loved that tenple by the way, only the boss was quite boring.

ultron87

You can't read the Nier Let's Play anymore if you aren't a SomethingAwful forum member. And that costs money.

:(

Guess I'll wait till it eventually makes its way to the LPArchive.

Kurtofan

ultron87 said:
You can't read the Nier Let's Play anymore if you aren't a SomethingAwful forum member. And that costs money.

:(

Guess I'll wait till it eventually makes its way to the LPArchive.
I hear you man :( Don't worry it will come back in a week or two.
I couldn't wait so I bought a SA account...

hertog

Steroyd said:
Just got the sealed verse from the myst forest...

wtf o_O

I'm almost at the same point in the game. That was so awesome!
Now I'm gona search the brat that send Yonah a letter.

How much game is left? I have 2 entire free days to play Nier, can I finish the game?

StuBurns

Banned
hertog said:

How much game is left? I have 2 entire free days to play Nier, can I finish the game?
You have a lot left, you're about a third of the way thru I'd say.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, maybe half way thru, the 'brat' is kind of the turning point.

EatChildren

hertog said:

1/3rd to 1/2 the way through. You've still got plenty more adventuring to go.

hertog

EatChildren said:
1/3rd to 1/2 the way through. You've still got plenty more adventuring to go.

Great I loved Facade and the forest of dreams.
The game has so much variety. I even tried the fishing and farming, but those "mini-games" really suck.

Top Bottom