• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering if anyone on here would expect to see a sequel happen for this game? I know Cavia is longer no more and have had the staff disbanded and absorbed into AQ Interactive, but I thought the game sold quite fine and had potential to expand (Ending E from the book in Japan was a good hint to that if there was an ending to follow) if so. I loved the journey and wish for more and hope for a further conclusion for the characters we'd grown to love. It's left a bad taste in my mouth thinking how much of a bad situation Nier created :(

hertog

fighting that
godzilla-like monster and after that the grimoire noire
was truely fantastic. And the music was very good

ZombieFred said:
I was wondering if anyone on here would expect to see a sequel happen for this game? I know Cavia is longer no more and have had the staff disbanded and absorbed into AQ Interactive, but I thought the game sold quite fine and had potential to expand (Ending E from the book in Japan was a good hint to that if there was an ending to follow) if so. I loved the journey and wish for more and hope for a further conclusion for the characters we'd grown to love. It's left a bad taste in my mouth thinking how much of a bad situation Nier created :(

Well it's not like the up and executed the staff when they disbanded them. Assuming the game was moderately successful, maybe we'll see them re-assembled in some fashion in the future. In the meantime, I'll keep playing Drakkengard 2~

MBison

Ok I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I am in the Lost Shrine for the 2nd time fighting Kaine Shade.. I use Dark Hand on her over and over while sh'es on the wall and i get her down to a sliver of health then nothing fazes her. I eventually fall to the barrage of red balls... is there some trick to finish her off? I mean I Dark Hand her like 8 more times with a sliver of health. UGH.

jcm

MBison said:
Ok I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I am in the Lost Shrine for the 2nd time fighting Kaine Shade.. I use Dark Hand on her over and over while sh'es on the wall and i get her down to a sliver of health then nothing fazes her. I eventually fall to the barrage of red balls... is there some trick to finish her off? I mean I Dark Hand her like 8 more times with a sliver of health. UGH.

I think I finished that one with my sword.

MBison

Yeah, I finally managed it after like 8 tries, which was getting annoying. It seemed to work just like I was trying, just worked faster this time.

So far I am enjoying the game. It definitely is a flawed masterpiece, though. The side quests are just atrocious for the most part. They could have tried to make them less busy work (like collecting 10 RARE AS HELL ITEMS ARGH). I know I don't have to do most of them for all the endings but I would like to do them and for that reason they should be less irritating and more compelling.

Love the characters and dialogue though.

hertog

MBison said:
Yeah, I finally managed it after like 8 tries, which was getting annoying. It seemed to work just like I was trying, just worked faster this time.

So far I am enjoying the game. It definitely is a flawed masterpiece, though. The side quests are just atrocious for the most part. They could have tried to make them less busy work (like collecting 10 RARE AS HELL ITEMS ARGH). I know I don't have to do most of them for all the endings but I would like to do them and for that reason they should be less irritating and more compelling.

Love the characters and dialogue though.

yeah I'm at the same part as you and I would say the same about the game. I also love the diversity of the "dungeons"

Steroyd

Well well well, went through an interesting turn of events, didn't expect a
timeskip
nevermind it be that long.

Just did the final fisherman mission, it's time to earn some heavy dough.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Does the DLC count towards the percentage of completed side quests? I've completed all side quests, but the game tells me it's only at 98% side quest completion. Do I need to complete the third and final part of the DLC to get to 100%?

gogogow

Combichristoffersen said:
Does the DLC count towards the percentage of completed side quests? I've completed all side quests, but the game tells me it's only at 98% side quest completion. Do I need to complete the third and final part of the DLC to get to 100%?
No, they don't. I'm at 98% with 2 incompletable side quests (which were not worth it for the money i'm getting versus the rare materials needed to complete them, memory alloy and other stuff for the farmer). Check if you have incompletable quests and/or you missed some people in the towns?

There's ONE DLC "side quest", which actually is more like a mini-game than a side quest.

Also, I can't believe the "Forging Master" trophy is a silver. That one was a bitch to get.

Anyway, i'm very close at getting the platinum trophy. I only need to do the 15 hour run.

I really like ending B
Emil lives!!!!!

MBison

hertog said:
yeah I'm at the same part as you and I would say the same about the game. I also love the diversity of the "dungeons"

Yeah, I'm mainly playing for the story but the completionist in my keeps me going to the side quests even though a lot of times I am dreading doing them. At least they make things a little easier in the 2nd act with travel. Still, no way I'm grinding 10 Titanium Alloys.

I want all the endings though and plan to at least do the side quests that give weapons.

So for those that are done, I'm on my first play through, I can complete this playthrough not worrying about getting 100% weapons and still be fine, just need to get the weapons by the 3rd playthrough right? If I New Game+ and go for Ending B, I still don't need to do all the weapons then either.. I can save it for Ending C right? I probably will just go ahead and get it done, but I'm having a hard time side tracking myself away from the main story.

1stStrike

Banned
Man, I'm glad to see this thread is still going. There's going to be people playing this game all the way up till 2012 at this rate :p

gogogow

MBison said:
Yeah, I'm mainly playing for the story but the completionist in my keeps me going to the side quests even though a lot of times I am dreading doing them. At least they make things a little easier in the 2nd act with travel. Still, no way I'm grinding 10 Titanium Alloys.

I want all the endings though and plan to at least do the side quests that give weapons.

So for those that are done, I'm on my first play through, I can complete this playthrough not worrying about getting 100% weapons and still be fine, just need to get the weapons by the 3rd playthrough right? If I New Game+ and go for Ending B, I still don't need to do all the weapons then either.. I can save it for Ending C right? I probably will just go ahead and get it done, but I'm having a hard time side tracking myself away from the main story.

Titanium Alloys is a regular drop from the P-33 droids, it's the Memory Alloys that are much harder to get. The ultra rare drops like subdued bracelets, forlorn necklaces and eagle eggs will most likely drive you crazy. Luckily I already have that trophy.

About the weapons:
you need to get all the weapons that are available in the first halve of the game, otherwise you will never be able to get them during a New Game+. Because you will only be playing the 2nd part of the game in a New Game+. So be sure to buy all the weapons from the weapon dealers, do all the side quests with a weapon as a reward and find all the weapons in the dungeons from the first halve of the game. And yes, you can save it for ending C

I've started playing NieR a few days ago, and I absolutely love it. I just cleared the Barren Temple.
I think what I love the most about the game is the music; I've been listening to it non-stop before I even got the game. I can't stop listening to "Temple of Drifting Sands" in particular. <3

Anyhow, I have one quick question about a quest in Façade. After the quest where you look for
the missing girl (whose boyfriend confessed to having accidentally killed her), is there ever a follow-up quest that explains why she pretends that nothing is amiss, and that she has no boyfriend
?
Some of the main things I love about the quests in NieR are the little twists and the consequent dialogue between Weiss (Weiß?) and Nier. From what I hear, the game will only get better further on, so I can't wait.

gogogow

Necromanti said:
Anyhow, I have one quick question about a quest in Façade. After the quest where you look for
the missing girl (whose boyfriend confessed to having accidentally killed her), is there ever a follow-up quest that explains why she pretends that nothing is amiss, and that she has no boyfriend
?
Some of the main things I love about the quests in NieR are the little twists and the consequent dialogue between Weiss (Weiß?) and Nier. From what I hear, the game will only get better further on, so I can't wait.
Yes, there is a follow-up quest and will be explained.

MBison

Well Titanium Alloys may not be UBER RARE but having gone through the Junk Heap several times and only gotten 2 and I need 11 or whatever. Not exciting me.

Gravijah

MBison said:
Well Titanium Alloys may not be UBER RARE but having gone through the Junk Heap several times and only gotten 2 and I need 11 or whatever. Not exciting me.

I wanna say there's some enemies that drop them more often later, but I can't remember...

Combichristoffersen

gogogow said:
No, they don't. I'm at 98% with 2 incompletable side quests (which were not worth it for the money i'm getting versus the rare materials needed to complete them, memory alloy and other stuff for the farmer). Check if you have incompletable quests and/or you missed some people in the towns?

There's ONE DLC "side quest", which actually is more like a mini-game than a side quest.

I used this guide to ensure that I wouldn't miss out on any side quests, so there shouldn't be any people left with quests for me. And I have no incompletable quests :S

What's this DLC side quest minigame of which you speak?

Edit: AHA! Found the final quest. Devola, that sly minx, had relocated to the tavern, so I had to go there to get the Bon Appetit! 2 quest. Also went and picked up the Fang of the Twins weapon I had missed earlier. So now I'm at 100% side quest completion, and I've got 93% of the weapons, the last two weapons I need are in the Shadowlord's castle. So now I'll just have to farm that legendary flower, and I'll be ready to go to the Shadowlord's castle to finish my first playthrough.

hertog

fuck never bought that weapon in facade :(
So it means I'll have to start all over again after I finish the game for the first time.
And why do I have the feeling that ending A will be really sad :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
hertog said:

You can just buy them later. Stores never get rid of weapons.

gdt

hertog said:
So it means I'll have to start all over again after I finish the game for the first time.
And why do I have the feeling that ending A will be really sad :(

Nope. NG+ starts at the library
after Kaine wakes up
. Weapons/items carry over. It really doesn't take that long to get the rest of the endings.

hertog

I'd probably rate this game the best "zelda" game since OoT. It has a lot of flaws from a technical standpoint, but man is it fun.

Combichristoffersen

Got the legendary flower, 100% quest completion, 100% weapons, and just finished my first playthrough. Now, time to breeze through the game again to get the other endings..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't speedkill the bosses on at least one of your NG+ playthroughs. There's a lot of dialogue you'll miss if you go all out.

gogogow

I used this guide to ensure that I wouldn't miss out on any side quests, so there shouldn't be any people left with quests for me. And I have no incompletable quests :S

What's this DLC side quest minigame of which you speak?
Exit the village to the Northern Plains and take a right, go all the way till you hit the wall. A guard is standing there with the DLC quest/minigame.

EatChildren said:
You can just buy them later. Stores never get rid of weapons.
You can't. During the second part of the game the weapon shops are offering new sets of weapons and they won't sell the old ones anymore.
After my first playthrough I was forced to start a new game (not NG+), because I didn't buy all the weapons from the shops during the first halve of the game, meaning I couldn't platinum the game. Lol, I finished this game 5 times already. New game A -> New game A -> NG+B -> NG+C,D -> Speedrun

hertog

just read this:

Kaine is "abnormal." That's all the information the game gives you. There is no explicit, or even implicit reference to her being a hermamphrodite. If you wish to think of her as being an intersex individual, the game provides sufficient details to support that belief. If you do not wish to think of her thusly, the game is sufficiently vague on the matter that you are free to do so. This element, or non-element of the story is not directly in the game, and has absolutely no bearing on the experience. Don't worry about it, it's the kind of thing you'd never even consider unless someone told you to.

gogogow

hertog said:
just read this:

Kaine is "abnormal." That's all the information the game gives you. There is no explicit, or even implicit reference to her being a hermamphrodite. If you wish to think of her as being an intersex individual, the game provides sufficient details to support that belief. If you do not wish to think of her thusly, the game is sufficiently vague on the matter that you are free to do so. This element, or non-element of the story is not directly in the game, and has absolutely no bearing on the experience. Don't worry about it, it's the kind of thing you'd never even consider unless someone told you to.

When you read Kaine's story, Dimo, the bully says things like: Why do you dress like a girl? We all know what you really are! Freak! Why are you acting like a girl when you aren't one? etc. But yeah, it doesn't isn't reflected during the game.

Combichristoffersen

gogogow said:
Exit the village to the Northern Plains and take a right, go all the way till you hit the wall. A guard is standing there with the DLC quest/minigame.

Ah, thanks. I'll look for him. Also, I know that once you start a NG+, you can
understand some of the things the shades are saying
. But does this only apply to the bosses, or to the regular, small shades too?

gogogow

Ah, thanks. I'll look for him. Also, I know that once you start a NG+, you can
understand some of the things the shades are saying
. But does this only apply to the bosses, or to the regular, small shades too?
I think it also applies to the reguar shades too, but i'm not sure whether it was already in a non-NG+.
IIRC, during the fight in the ballroom (where the shades are dancing in the shadowlord castle, some of the shades will start talking, with subtitles in the upper left corner)

Kalil with Beepy, they only wanted to be together :(

Combichristoffersen

gogogow said:
I think it also applies to the reguar shades too, but i'm not sure whether it was already in a non-NG+.
IIRC, during the fight in the ballroom (where the shades are dancing in the shadowlord castle, some of the shades will start talking, with subtitles in the upper left corner)

Kalil with Beepy, they only wanted to be together :(
Kalil was Kainè's grandma, but who's Beepy?

gogogow

Kalil was Kainè's grandma, but who's Beepy?

NG+, Junkheap Shade story, about a young shade who's mother gets killed by the humans and was left behind. The P-33 droid became his friend. Kalil, the young shade called him Beepy.

Combichristoffersen

Heh. Believe me. You'll eventually reach a point in the game where money will never become an issue.

Just finished the first playthrough last night, and I'm at 500k gold, so yeah, eventually you'll get to a point where money is abundant :lol I think I'll keep farming pink and peach moonflowers by using the clock trick to get the 1 million gold trophy..

Steroyd said:
But I want to buy those weapons NOW. *pouts*

Complete quests, and sell some of the rare fish you'll get if you go for the trophy for catching all types of fish, and you should have enough gold for the weapons

If the ending of the first playthrough was the game sticking a knife in me, the second playthrough was it slowly twisting that knife until it snapped. Why do you have to be so cruel, Nier, why?

That scene with Emil rolling around was hilarious though.

bluenatas09

Neo Member
realllllllly wasn't feeling the game the first few hours but somewhere along the way it completely sucked me in.

I'm glad I had a few friends recommend this one to me and the music really was fantastic.

MBison

About to go to the final area on my first playthrough now that I have all of the weapons (except those there). I doubt I will finish all of the side quests. Just too annoying for my taste (I respect anyone who has 1000/1000 this game).

Really enjoy the characters and story. Excited to blast through my New Game+ without worrying about side quests.

flyover

bluenatas09 said:
realllllllly wasn't feeling the game the first few hours but somewhere along the way it completely sucked me in.
Yeah, I felt the same way. I was totally going through the motions for a while -- though the music was amazing from the get-go -- and then, all the sudden, I realized I loved it. There wasn't even a single moment that did it for me. It just gradually won me over, and I didn't want to stop playing it.

MBison

just finished Ending A. Wow this game throws a lot at you in that last little section. Can someone kind of sum up what the precise thing that is explained by Popola etc regarding humans and Shades. I pretty sure I have it but really want to be sure I am on the same page as everyone else.

MBison said:
just finished Ending A. Wow this game throws a lot at you in that last little section. Can someone kind of sum up what the precise thing that is explained by Popola etc regarding humans and Shades. I pretty sure I have it but really want to be sure I am on the same page as everyone else.
The humans died long ago and are now shades. The humans now are not really the original humans. Read the Gestalt documents when you confront the twins. There is a lot of foreshadowing when you enter the Shadowlord's Castle like the password. Essentially the gestalts are just shells for the shades. The humans died off long ago and the last two happened to be in the prologue. The dad became to be the Shadowlord and needs Yona's body to implant his own daughter into it.

I have been throughly enjoying this game, and am working towards Ending B, but I had a question about future NG+s (when going for ending C/D). Are there any changes to cutscenes / dialog throughout the story like there was in the first NG+ (
Kaine's 4 Dreams and the various shade dialog/backstories
)? If it isn't anything new until the end then that would make replaying it much faster, however I don't want to skip the cutscenes and beat the bosses too fast if there are new things to see besides the ending.

Top Bottom