• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

dragonlife29 said:
You can skip cut-scenes when going for C/D; you'll just be seeing the new stuff from B again.

So is the only difference between a B and a C/D playthrough:
the bonus boss battle / actual ending
?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AdawgDaFAB said:
So is the only difference between a B and a C/D playthrough:
the bonus boss battle / actual ending
?

Yep. C/D run only has new stuff at the very end.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm picking up this game tomorrow. The price for a used copy bottomed out... $8 :p

Xbox or PS3... no better version in North America, right? I'm leaning towards PS3 just cause.

I've been listening to the music on YouTube all night. Dear lord.

EatChildren said:
Yep. C/D run only has new stuff at the very end.

Sweet, that means I should be able to do that and my <15 hour A run pretty quickly next weekend when I finish things up to get my Platinum.

BocoDragon said:
I'm picking up this game tomorrow. The price for a used copy bottomed out... $8 :p

Xbox or PS3... no better version in North America, right? I'm leaning towards PS3 just cause.

I've been listening to the music on YouTube all night. Dear lord.

Pretty sure it's just the typical minor graphical differences and load times. 360 loads much faster than uninstalled ps3, but if you install it on PS3 it's only a differences of a few seconds longer loads iirc.

Gotta agree too, I've fallen in love with the music since I started playing this.

Also, where are you finding it used for $8? I got a few friends I've interested in getting the game after I played it and talked to them about it, so I'd like to point them in the right direction for a good price, lol. At Gamestop it is still ~20-30 used and on amazon it's ~$20 after shipping for used.

MBison

Another C/D question.. I'm about to go for Ending C... I assume it will be very clear to me what I should do at the end so I don't accidentally pick D instead.

??

1stStrike

Banned
MBison said:
Another C/D question.. I'm about to go for Ending C... I assume it will be very clear to me what I should do at the end so I don't accidentally pick D instead.

??

C is the first option. D is the second option. It is blatantly clear if you're selecting D since it asks you about 3,000 times if you really want to delete all of your data.

daviyoung

Banned
LTTP too, about mid-way through, and it's amazing! Love most of the gameplay changes, especially the text and diablo part. Not too keen on the boring fetch quests and the seemingly endless boss runs, but that's to be expected from a game like this.

Writing (or should that be localization) is better than pretty much any Japanese game I've ever played.

It amazes me how these developers can nail the animations, framerate and swordplay while Western devs struggle to create even a competent first-person RPG.

jcm

1stStrike said:
C is the first option. D is the second option. It is blatantly clear if you're selecting D since it asks you about 3,000 times if you really want to delete all of your data.

Even after the 3,000 times my wife and I were kind of shocked they really did it. It was pretty damned cool.

Sagitario

AdawgDaFAB said:
Sweet, that means I should be able to do that and my <15 hour A run pretty quickly next weekend when I finish things up to get my Platinum.

How did it go? You can do the run in less than 5 hours.

hertog

What agame. i finished A and b and now my GF is playing the game. Normally she doesn't play a lot of games but she's really hooked.

Go_Ly_Dow

I love this game so much.

Got all 4 endings and just finished reading Grimoire Nier (highly recommend everyone else does this after watching at least Ending B to gain further understanding about the Nier-verse) and I want more now.

I really hope those rumblings about more Nier goodness in 2011 comes to fruition.

Yoshiya

The live Nier music performance was a couple of days ago, what a thing to miss :/ Also, it looks like a sheet music book will be published soon, along with the drama CD. Hopefully that wasn't all they were referring to.

Dante23

Yoshiya said:
The live Nier music performance was a couple of days ago, what a thing to miss :/ Also, it looks like a sheet music book will be published soon, along with the drama CD. Hopefully that wasn't all they were referring to.

Damn, didn't some gaffer attend?

Hope there is a way for someone to share the wealth and post a couple of audio or video clips of the performance.

Yoshiya

Dante23 said:
Damn, didn't some gaffer attend?

Hope there is a way for someone to share the wealth and post a couple of audio or video clips of the performance.
I thought john tv was going, would make sense given how much he has to do with the game. It did coincide with GDC though, so maybe that threw a spanner in the works. Would love to hear a recording though.

I actually got a copy of this a month or more ago but I swore I would actually finish some of these damn games before moving on. Looking forward to it but it seems like a real time-burglar

BobTheFork said:
I actually got a copy of this a month or more ago but I swore I would actually finish some of these damn games before moving on. Looking forward to it but it seems like a real time-burglar

It's not really that long as long as you're not going for all the sidequests. It took me 30 hours to get Ending A, but I was being pretty leisurely about it. You could probably finish it in 15-20 hours. Subsequent playthroughs are much shorter.

And I second the recommendation of the Nier arrange album. Driving electronic remixes, somber and beautiful string and piano arrangements, a chiptune medley - it has it all.

FinalSeven

Neo Member
I still need to beat this game. I haven't really gotten back into yet with school and stuff going on. Maybe I'll play some later tonight.

Playing through my first run where I do absolutely everything, then critical path the rest of the story runs afterwards. I'm guessing from all the talk, the D ending because it deletes your save (really?) is the last one you should do?

Aru

Combichristoffersen said:
Finished my first NG+, and God help me, if the first playthrough was bleak and hopeless, the NG+ was straight up Depression Fuel :(

What will you say about ending C and D then ?
:p

I watched endings C and D on Youtube a few days ago and man, I'm glad I didn't bother doing the requirements.
While endings A and B are complementary, only 1 of endings C or D can actually happen and be complementary to the 2 others.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
fadetoblack said:
Playing through my first run where I do absolutely everything, then critical path the rest of the story runs afterwards. I'm guessing from all the talk, the D ending because it deletes your save (really?) is the last one you should do?

Correct, and you cant miss it as it will ask you a bazillion times. For what it's worth, you only need all weapons to get C and D, and that isn't too hard to get. If you really want to do 'everything' in the game be prepared for some utterly atrocious sidequests, and dont be afraid to use a guide.

Aru said:
What will you say about ending C and D then ?
:p

I watched endings C and D on Youtube a few days ago and man, I'm glad I didn't bother doing the requirements.
While endings A and B are complementary, only 1 of endings C or D can actually happen and be complementary to the 2 others.

That's how I felt. I said it earlier, but as much as I loved the game Ending C and D were quite weak and in my opinion rather unnecessary to the story, except for
wrapping up Kaine's story
. The main impact of the story will be felt through Ending A and B as both add a substantial amount to the core plot and lore.

Just beat the game. Took me roughly 18hrs. I thought the ending was quite touching and had a few unexpected twists. It was a pleasant surprise, I wasn't expecting much from this game and only picked it up because it was dirt cheap and had the Square Enix logo on the box.

The soundtrack was great and the game had some fantastic vocal work that complemented a humourous and occasionally moving narrative. The battle system was servicable, not great, reminded me of Dynasty Warriors. Graphics ranged from average to terrible but there was so much else to like, it didn't bother me.

I noticed at the end of the game it says Ending A
play through the game again to experience Kaine's story
is it worth it. Do you get signifigant changes to cutscenes / end game by doing this?

There are a TON of new cutscenes in the second playthrough. It is ESSENTIAL.

Wow. I will have to come back to this over the summer then. Can't bring myself to invest the time jumping straight back in.

EatChildren

Appollowexx said:
I noticed at the end of the game it says Ending B
play through the game again to experience Kaine's story
is it worth it. Do you get signifigant changes to cutscenes / end game by doing this?

Missing the second playthrough is literally missing half the game. The second playthrough begins from the moment when
Kaine is trapped, Yonah is captured and the game advances forward a few years
. You experience the same 'game', but you get brand new cutscenes throughout that tell the story from a second perspective, as well as a new ending to cap things off.

If you thought the first run was touching the second one will break your heart. But you must, must play it.

EatChildren said:
Missing the second playthrough is literally missing half the game. The second playthrough begins from the moment when
Kaine is trapped, Yonah is captured and the game advances forward a few years
. You experience the same 'game', but you get brand new cutscenes throughout that tell the story from a second perspective, as well as a new ending to cap things off.

If you thought the first run was touching the second one will break your heart. But you must, must play it.

Sorry it was ending A that I got the trophy for, not B. And it sounds as if i definatly need to do this. You're comment makes me think I should jump straight back in after all, I really love the characters in Nier.

StuBurns

Banned
Actually the new game + starts after that, it's
when she is brought back to life

I really disagree playing a second time is needed, let alone beneficial though.

EatChildren

Appollowexx said:
Sorry it was ending A that I got the trophy for, not B. And it sounds as if i definatly need to do this. You're comment makes me think I should jump straight back in after all, I really love the characters in Nier.

If you enjoyed the characters and story it would be criminal to pass up on the second playthrough. When it says 'Ending B' it doesn't mean that it's an alternate series of events. There's extra cutscenes and a new ending, but it serves as an extension to the already existing Ending A run that doesn't contradict but instead expands the characters, story, and lore.

Missing it really is missing half the story. You wont 'get it' until you play through the second run.

EDIT: StuBurns is correct about the sarting pont, but he's crazy about it not being essential.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Great Story and Soundtrack, good voice acting, Horrible side quests,decent graphics and meh-ok combat.

I Love the story of the game but the gameplay pretty much dragged the overall experience for me. The game reminded me of a wii game called Fragile Dreams: Farewell to the Moon pretty much because it suffered from almost the same things (Visually beautiful actually). Its an unpolished gem that maybe later if someone makes a clone of it and polish the blemishes of the game it could be pretty much gain the recognition it deserves and sit on top with other bigger franchises.

Overall its something u need to at least rent to experience the game since the story its really damn good and its one of the best soundtracks from the year 2010.

EatChildren said:
Correct, and you cant miss it as it will ask you a bazillion times. For what it's worth, you only need all weapons to get C and D, and that isn't too hard to get. If you really want to do 'everything' in the game be prepared for some utterly atrocious sidequests, and dont be afraid to use a guide.

God tell me about it. I've gotten to...

just after you revisit the Lost Shrine. I've visited Junk Heap, though I haven't fought the giant shade there yet (I'm assuming there is one), and have a save just outside of the forest of myth

and for Christ's sake some of these fetch quests are absolutely annoying since it seems that most of the quests from Seafront can only be completed with shit from the Junk Heap
though if I have to make a second visit once my sword is ready and fight the shade that it seems likely to be there, I'm not too worried

I've only needed to use the guides for some of the more stupid quests, like where the hell do you find this item that I've never seen in the whole game, and to make sure I get them all.

I'm a tad worried I haven't collected all the weapons but we'll see soon enough, I guess.

Apparently the SA LP thread maker for NieR also made a Twitter account for Weiss (WeissTheWise) and Brother Nier (BrotherNier), the latter replete with shortened text, internet spelling, and douchebaggery.

oracrest

So, I got to the Grimoire in the eastern shrine.

It was nice to see an old porcelain tub in one of the rooms in the exterior. One of the few remnants of the past that is identifiable so far. A nice touch.

From what I gather seeing the off comment here or there, it seems like the game doesn't fully explain what happened in regards to the human downfall? Guess I will have to see for myself....

oracrest said:
So, I got to the Grimoire in the eastern shrine.

It was nice to see an old porcelain tub in one of the rooms in the exterior. One of the few remnants of the past that is identifiable so far. A nice touch.

From what I gather seeing the off comment here or there, it seems like the game doesn't fully explain what happened in regards to the human downfall? Guess I will have to see for myself....
It does.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Aru said:
No, it doesn't. Anything beyond endings C/D is only explained in Grimoire Nier, not in the game.

It's sort of explained, although it's pretty damn vague, and you'd have to know about Drakengard 2's ending to get the hang of it

Top Bottom