• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

gdt

Dear god that soundtrack. Love love love it!

Still think about this game all the time. (Very) Flawed masterpiece.

flyover

gdt5016 said:
Still think about this game all the time. (Very) Flawed masterpiece.

It really is. It's such a hodgepodge of gaming and storytelling cliches and archetypes that it's become something unique. It feels like so much thought went into it, and yet, in ways it seems unpolished, improvised, or even unfinished -- and it might be better for that.

It's the first game in quite a while (that I've played) that fits Umberto Eco's qualifications for being a cult hit:

"It must provide a fully furnished world... It should display not one central idea, but many. It should not reveal a coherent philosophy of composition. It must live on, and because of, its glorious ricketiness... However, it must have some quality... Its addressee must suspect it is not true that works are created by their authors. Works are created by works, texts are created by texts, all together they speak to each other independently of the intention of their authors."

Eco says that Casablanca "is not one movie. It is 'movies.'" And that's the feeling I got from Nier.

oracrest

I got into the battle with scrote throat, or whatever that big black quadrepad beast is that you encounter when first meeting up with the girl.

Pretty cool enemy design actually, and it's good fun to time a lunge perfectly to avoid the shockwave damage of his stomp.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fantastic Eco quote, thanks for that.

And yeah, trying to analyse Nier is like trying to untie the Gordion knot... its just impossible to pin down because the fiction is working on so many layers simultaneously.

Yoko Taro is so self-effacing in interviews that its hard to believe that his intent was to create an "intellectual" or "arty" game, yet, Nier is incredibly calculated and manipulative.

I mean, as an emotional journey told in video-game form for me it was vastly more impactful than say, Heavy Rain. I dig what David Cage was going for, and I liked the game, but nothing has ever played with my feelings as effortlessly as Nier did. And most importantly it also posed major moral and philosophical questions to me while doing so.

That really isn't something that occurs by happy accident! I mean yes, there is that soundtrack, and I think the shift from brother to father Nier combined with the sympathetic work on the translation by 8-4, actually improves on the original*... but...

As an overall package I can definitely see the flaws, but the quality of the ideas is inarguable in my opinion.

Nier is a very clever piece of work, and fantastic entertainment if you can get past the overall jankiness of the production. But hey, production values aren't everything.

* Just to elaborate on this. I don't have an issue generally with Brother Nier's appearance, and thematically and narratively it is actually a better fit with the overall story. For example the whole pre/post timeskip split midgame makes so much better sense particularly regarding Nier's personal trajectory and story arc.

However, Father Nier's inheritance of (young) Brother Nier's naivete, typically disguised as world weariness and self-deprecation- "I'm just a big guy who kills things"- makes him very relatable, far more so than your regular videogame hero. And as he's the character we embody on the journey, it works amazingly well as an entry point into this bizarre world.

flyover

Clear said:
However, Father Nier's inheritance of (young) Brother Nier's naivete, typically disguised as world weariness and self-deprecation- "I'm just a big guy who kills things"- makes him very relatable, far more so than your regular videogame hero. And as he's the character we embody on the journey, it works amazingly well as an entry point into this bizarre world.
I totally agree. I think Brother Nier would have been fine, but I'm really glad we got Father Nier in the US version. I think the age of the character works better (for the reasons you stated), and the parent-child relationship is a more powerful model for a story that resonates with a wider audience. (For example, there's a reason that Taken wasn't about a guy whose sibling gets kidnapped -- and that Ransom didn't feature the catchphrase "Give me back my sister!")

VinZuku

I'm almost ten hours into Nier and I'm astonished at how good this game is. Heck, it's not good, it's AMAZING! I can't remember the last time I played a game where I honestly liked and cared about the characters this much. I cannot for the life of me understand where some of the criticism against this game comes from. Before Nier I was playing through Killzone 3. At some point (probably during yet another inane line of dialogue from Rico), I wondered why I was making myself trudge throuigh such an awful game that I wasn't having any fun with whatsoever when I've had Nier sitting unplayed on a shelf for months. I ejected Killzone, put in Nier and it's been the best decision I've made in months. Again, I'm not even ten hours into Nier but it's already becoming one of my favorite games of this current generation of consoles.

Thanks to the great word of mouth in this thread, I started playing Nier recently. Last night I got the A ending. I have to join in with all the praise, it really is a great game. The characters are all really easy to relate to and the father/daughter mechanic works beautifully. I also love the soundtrack. All of the game really seems like a labour of love.

I got slightly confused about some things in the Gestalt reports:
Are the shades supposed to be the gestalts and the "humans" that you encounter in the game world the replicants? Or is it the other way around? Or did I miss something here? I don't really get the relation between gestalts and replicants. The shades are supposed to be more human than the "humans" in the game? Why so? I find it easier to relate to the "humans", especially with all these side stories, like the fate of the brothers at the Junk Heap. If they have all the emotions and cognitive abilities of humans, I don't really get why they can't be considered as human. Maybe the B playthrough will make me change my stance on this or give me better understanding?

Also, Emil
really just can't seem to a catch a break. :(

Oh and one more thing. I wasn't planning on going for the platinum since it sounded like a huge pain. But I actually got three forlorn necklaces and two subdued bracelets in my A playthrough without even trying! So I think I will actually go for it now. Yeah it's ok if you hate me. =p

StuBurns

Banned
Coldsnap said:
What version has different characters as Nier?
In Japan the PS3 version has the original Nier, a young guy looking after his sister, the 360 version has the older version, a father of the girl, but outside of Japan both versions have the older Nier.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
hydrophilic attack said:
I got slightly confused about some things in the Gestalt reports:
Are the shades supposed to be the gestalts and the "humans" that you encounter in the game world the replicants? Or is it the other way around? Or did I miss something here? I don't really get the relation between gestalts and replicants. The shades are supposed to be more human than the "humans" in the game? Why so? I find it easier to relate to the "humans", especially with all these side stories, like the fate of the brothers at the Junk Heap. If they have all the emotions and cognitive abilities of humans, I don't really get why they can't be considered as human. Maybe the B playthrough will make me change my stance on this or give me better understanding?
The shades are what the 'real' humans turned into, the gestalts. The 'humans' you meet throughout the game, like Nier and Yonah, are the 'replicants', shells that were created to be vessels for the souls of the original humans. The shades are essentially twisted remains of the original humans.

Ok. Thanks! That's what I thought.

One more ending A related question:

Why would the twins help you in your quest, trying to figure out the key and so on, only to later oppose you. I don't get that.

Maybe it will be explained in the next playthrough.

hydrophilic attack said:
Ok. Thanks! That's what I thought.

One more ending A related question:

Why would the twins help you in your quest, trying to figure out the key and so on, only to later oppose you. I don't get that.

Maybe it will be explained in the next playthrough.
They have been trying to kill you (disguised as 'helping') the entire game. It's not a big logical conclusion to make.

OK. Thanks! I feel a bit dumb now. That makes sense, I guess.

I can tell myself I didn't get it due to my phoenix spear being so over-powered that I never really felt threatened, and not because of me being dumb.

trejo

So I finally got a friend of mine to buy a copy of the game. So far he's pretty down on it due to the terribly clunky graphics but he's only made it past the boss fight with Hansel and Gretel. His taste in gaming is similar to mine, though, so I'm sure he'll come around eventually.

Zeal

Banned
TranceKuja said:
It's been a while since I've played this game now, but still the soundtrack hits me right in the gut everytime it comes up on iTunes. I was randomly listening to songs when BAM, Emil (Karma) started playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAe0JMXdmI

... I got goosebumps all over. Again.

one of my favorite game tracks ever. calls forth so many emotions.

dedication. bravery. honor. selflessness. sacrifice.

Yaweee

I'm a few hours in, and all I've seen so far are a few fetchquests and a fishing quest. Does the game pick up anytime soon? I like the music and speed of exploration/combat, but I'm not really feeling it yet.

Yaweee

Well, I finished it, at least the A path. Is the B playthrough just the second half of the game with added Text-only scenes, or is there more to it than that?

The game was really a mixed bag for me. Really exciting at time (mostly boss fights), but everything else was repetitive and way too full of fetch-quests.

Yaweee said:
Well, I finished it, at least the A path. Is the B playthrough just the second half of the game with added Text-only scenes, or is there more to it than that?

The game was really a mixed bag for me. Really exciting at time (mostly boss fights), but everything else was repetitive and way too full of fetch-quests.
There are a bounty of cutscenes added to the B playthrough that are of a necessity to watch.

fun part about the fetch quests, you don't have to do all of them!

i find this complaint amusing.

Yaweee

ZephyrFate said:
There are a bounty of cutscenes added to the B playthrough that are of a necessity to watch.

fun part about the fetch quests, you don't have to do all of them!

i find this complaint amusing.

What is so amusing about the complaint? I'm not talking about sidequests (I skipped nearly all of them); I'm talking about the dumb shit like the fish and entire trip to Seaside, or the Junkyard stuff with the brothers (each which seemingly required a trip in to the base prior to what was actually important).

It felt like the initial reasons to go to any of the main areas were pretty vague and uninteresting, but they just happen to end up giving whatever I'm searching for in that part of the game.

Yaweee said:
What is so amusing about the complaint? I'm not talking about sidequests (I skipped nearly all of them); I'm talking about the dumb shit like the fish and entire trip to Seaside, or the Junkyard stuff with the brothers (each which seemingly required a trip in to the base prior to what was actually important).

It felt like the initial reasons to go to any of the main areas were pretty vague and uninteresting, but they just happen to end up giving whatever I'm searching for in that part of the game.
A lot of this happens in the first half of the game, which is meant to seem like a generic RPG as part of its trick. This kind of issue mostly goes away in the second half of the game.

Yaweee

ZephyrFate said:
A lot of this happens in the first half of the game, which is meant to seem like a generic RPG as part of its trick. This kind of issue mostly goes away in the second half of the game.

Yeah, I definitely agree the second half is better. There was still an extra unnecessary trip in Junkyard, but other than that every trip anywhere had a real objective that actually panned out.

The "second half" was less than 1/3rd of the game for me; I think I took 8~9 in part one, and only around 4 in part two. Got the speed achievement.

matmanx1

I love to see the Nier OT pop up so frequently. It's such a memorable, evocative game that if it grabs you it grabs you hard and you don't forget it. And yeah, that OST is divine.

Gvaz

Banned
What does Replicant add to the game from the 360 one?

I've always been interested in this but I don't own a ps3 :(

RPGCrazied

Picked this up for the PS3, after hearing lots of good things about it. It was only $20! That was fast, not many this gen games at this price.

Is it really good? How long is it? Side quests?

Combichristoffersen

RPGCrazied said:
Picked this up for the PS3, after hearing lots of good things about it. It was only $20! That was fast, not many this gen games at this price.

Is it really good? How long is it? Side quests?

There's about 100 or so side quests. Quite a few of them are basically just fetch quests. Some hated the side quests, but personally I had quite a lot of fun with them, but ymmv.

How long it is depends on how much time you want to spend doing quests and grinding, but 15-20 hours on the first playthrough, maybe?

And it's a great game :D

LuniRPG

Just picked this game up from Amazon for about 17 bucks. Can't wait to give it a try considering I love the music to death. Hearing it during gameplay will hopefully rock.

RPGCrazied

Combichristoffersen said:
There's about 100 or so side quests. Quite a few of them are basically just fetch quests. Some hated the side quests, but personally I had quite a lot of fun with them, but ymmv.

How long it is depends on how much time you want to spend doing quests and grinding, but 15-20 hours on the first playthrough, maybe?

And it's a great game :D

I just got it today, 2hours in or so. The music is awesome, sure it looks like a PS2 game, but it still looks decent on my HDTV, unlike PS2 games themselves. It runs at a weird resolution, like 720x420 or something. :) Can you get rid of those transparent bars during the cutscenes? Thats the only thing I really hate so far.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If Nier looks unusually low-res its probably because you have 720p output disabled.

Its a known issue that if you try to force 1080i the game will revert back to a 480p display.

Gvaz

Banned
*plops disk into drive*

*some chick starts yelling about a book being a useless piece of shit*

Well god damn, I wasn't expecting that.

Then the opening trailer thing shows some bullet-hell type encounter.

This is certainly gonna be fun, that's for sure.

Gravijah said:
It's not something you put into the boot up!
Uhhh... yeah it is? I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 people were pleasantly surprised to hear a stream of expletives from an angry woman as they booted up the game. I know I loved it, each and every time.

Gravijah

ZephyrFate said:
Uhhh... yeah it is? I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 people were pleasantly surprised to hear a stream of expletives from an angry woman as they booted up the game. I know I loved it, each and every time.

will not avatar quote you :mad:

Gvaz

Banned
Okay so the combat in this owns. Very responsive and attacks feel like they matter while still being positional. I love the dodging mechanic in this.

Combichristoffersen

Gravijah said:
YOU NIERTARDS ARE CRAZY, I'M GOING TO GO HANG OUT WITH RAHXPEPHEOHOHNON91

<3<3<3

You shouldn't do that, his bad taste might be transmissive, and you might end up with a tag like sahxophone91 :O

Combichristoffersen said:
You shouldn't do that, his bad taste might be transmissive, and you might end up with a tag like sahxophone91 :O
I laughed way harder at that than I should. I'm gonna call him (Rahxephon91) that from now on.

Zeal

Banned
I'd say this is the one game--above all else--that I'd give anything for a sequel to.

Alas, it will probably never materialize.

Combichristoffersen

Zeal said:
I'd say this is the one game--above all else--that I'd give anything for a sequel to.

Alas, it will probably never materialize.

They've been hinting towards having something Nier-related in store for 2011, so who knows?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
So I'm in the second half of the game in the
underground facility
where you have to collect numerous keys to advance. I'm in the room where I should get the last one. Apparently you get the key from a group of enemies. But they never appear in my game. I've reloaded my save three times now and I'm still stuck. Is this a known bug?

Maxathon

Neo Member
Sorry to OT but Nier completely got into my veins and made me interested in JRPGs after practically a ten-year hiatus. I'm looking for other games that might scratch the same itch, and I'd love a recommendation.

I know I won't get the same blend of self-awareness, trolling and tragedy from a non-Cavia game. Still, any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have a PS3, only a 360, Wii and PS2.

Top Bottom